Help, Support and Suggestions

Changing my Thumbnail??? HELLOOO!!!
arvtoon at 10:29AM, April 24, 2007
(online)
I have the same issues as “Help- changing the comic cover” and “Comic Thumbnail”. Your instructions say you can change the thumbnail at Comic Overview, but no choose buttons. Since no one's replied to the other forums requesting help with this in weeks and I sent a direct e-mail to technology@drunkduck.com, but have yet to get a reply, I doubt any one will help here either. Nice prompt job of tech support, guys! Does ANY MODERATOR ever actually check these forums?
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:02AM
KevinClifford at 3:09PM, April 25, 2007
(online)
It's there… Look, I'll show you with images:

How to do it in FireFox 2:

Click on the Browse button, like I did above also exactly where I have my pointer located, and this window will pop up:

Find your file, click okay, and then click send, EXACTLY where I have my pointer at:

And viola, that should change it. (If it doesn't change, refresh the page, that's your cache's fault.)

How to do it in Internet Explorer 7:

Now, IE is pretty much exactly the same as FF, except you CANNOT see your image's upload path. Don't worry, it's there.

Click on the Browse button, like I did above, and this window will pop up:

Find your file, click okay, and then click send, it doesn't matter where you put your pointer at on IE. It always works:

Hope this helped… Took me like ten minutes to do all that screenshotting >.<

I need to post here more…
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:15PM
skoolmunkee at 4:05AM, April 27, 2007
(online)
Thank you Kevin :)
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:40PM
Rusty Knight at 8:00PM, April 29, 2007
(offline)
I got a question. Why does my thumbnail image say RESTRICTED. And the send button is just text. And even when I hit enter, it still said RESTRICTED.

I'm pretty sure I didn't do anything wrong. I just started the comic.
I'm Jon. You can call me Dr. Jon… but I prefer Jon since I'm not really a Doctor.

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:12PM
Insizwa at 9:00PM, April 29, 2007
(offline)
It usually says restricted when it's rated A or M. But I've read your comic and it doesn't seem riske so I have no idea.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:01PM
skoolmunkee at 7:39AM, April 30, 2007
(online)
Rusty Knight
I got a question. Why does my thumbnail image say RESTRICTED. And the send button is just text. And even when I hit enter, it still said RESTRICTED.

I'm pretty sure I didn't do anything wrong. I just started the comic.

It's because your comic is rated M :)
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
Rusty Knight at 12:06PM, April 30, 2007
(offline)
WOW! A help forum where people are actually HELPFUL!

Thanks guys.

It's rated M, because right now, there's nothing too bad. But it'll get worse. Or better. Whatever.
I'm Jon. You can call me Dr. Jon… but I prefer Jon since I'm not really a Doctor.

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:12PM
arvtoon at 8:42AM, May 1, 2007
(online)
Kevin-

Thanks for the help– but guess again, smart guy. I've tried changing my thumbnail in both Safari and Internet Explorer, and on my Comic Overview page in each browser I get the “New Thumbnail” and “SEND” but no window with a browse button shows up.

I work on a Mac (because that's what ALL artists should work on) and I don't think they make IE higher than 5.5 for Macs. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I suppose this may be the problem with some of the other forums having thumbnail trouble.

What's your NEXT suggestion, Kev?
skoolmunkee at 11:53AM, May 1, 2007
(online)
arvtoon
What's your NEXT suggestion, Kev?

Gosh you sound awfully rude to a guy who is just trying to help you. :)

Anyway, MY next suggestion would be to make me an assistant on your comic, send me the thumbnail you want (email skoolmunkee, gmail.com, and I'll go ahead and change it for ya. I'm not really sure why it isn't working for you so the best I can do is be someone who it does work for. :)

(Sometimes the other threads don't get answered because we help them privately, or they've already posted the same thing in a different thread and they've been answered there, or when we check their info we see they've been able to solve it themselves. I dunno about that drunkduck email address though.)
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
ozoneocean at 1:10PM, May 1, 2007
(online)
That'd be the thing. Make Skool your assistant and then send her your thumbnail or give her the URL where it can be found online.

I have to say your behaviour towards Kevin seems quite churlish. He made a special effort to help you with all those screenshots and the long explanation.

As to Macs and artists, I prefer a PC :P

You could try Firefox on your Mac, its much better than IE5.5 and Safari together. Hey, what about Camino? That's the browser that's made specifically for OSX. Link: http://www.mozilla.org/products/camino/

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:26PM
KevinClifford at 3:13PM, May 1, 2007
(online)
MACs suck, they lack all the cool programs :P

Either way, I was assuming you had the more predominate Personal Computer… But, as they say, “Never assume… Or you'll make an ass out of you and me!” :D

Perhaps your browser isn't letting … Javascript (it's Java, right?) run, maybe? Normally, that's disabled by default…

If only I had my hands on a MAC; I don't think anyone in Philadelphia has one, though; I'd try to help :( Just do what they suggested about it, assist Skool, and send it to her :D

…I guess I'll go save up a thousand bucks to go buy one ;P

By the way, I've had more … Cruder… Replies as comic comments, so I'm used to it by now ^_^;

arvtoon at 6:23PM, May 1, 2007
(online)
To Kevin (and Kevin only)-

I apologize! The “smart guy” comment was me being sarcastic, and as I believe you guys say somewhere on this site, that never translates as one intends. My mistake. I mean no disrespect.

I've had plenty of experience using Macs and PC's to create art, build websites and transmit files– and I've found that of all the webcomic sites available, DrunkDuck is by far the easiest to use and has a better tech support group than most–

I was just trying to point out, however (and it didn't appear that I was alone), that on some browsers the window and “browse” button simply aren't there. It may be a Mac issue– it may be a browser issue, I don't know. That's why I entered the forum.
If I was tert when I did so, I apologize again, but I have also noticed a number of the FAQ pages on DrunkDuck tend to give suggestions and solutions that apply only to PC users. I can't imagine you don't have plenty of Mac-using members.

I appreciate your next offer of assistance, but I think I'll figure a way around the problem myself. Though again I apologize if I was rude and it won't happen again. I may have to come back here again. In fact I'm sure I'll have to come back here again.

Oh, and to all the Mac bashers out there– I believe you would find that most of your professional illustrators and graphic designers who use computers these days choose to use Macs. In fact most all of your major design, photo and illus. programs were originally written for Macs, and to this day run better on Macs than PCs. And I know both well. I'm a Mac man all the way.

Finally– would everyone just drop the definition of “assume” thing. Everybody's seen that episode of “The Odd Couple” a million times.

That's it for me. I'm off to figure out this thumbnail deal.
KevinClifford at 8:32PM, May 1, 2007
(online)
I thank you for apologizing, but I could sense the sarcasm (In the 2nd post) :D Which is why my first thing, about the Programs, was written sarcastically :)

So, yeah, I totally didn't take any offense to it. I've had worse… Especially since I'm in an All Boys High School >_>

arvtoon
Finally– would everyone just drop the definition of “assume” thing. Everybody's seen that episode of “The Odd Couple” a million times.

I haven't. That was … Like 15 years before I was born O.o

…I think. I have no idea when that went off air lol!

But, yeah, this site is predominately written for Internet Explorer running Window users, that's why the Alerter's currently only available for Win, since he had no way of writing a MAC or Linux version :(

I'll try learning how to do it over the summer, since I'm gonna go and try to get a job at Best Buy, which apparently sells them…

skoolmunkee at 9:34PM, May 1, 2007
(online)
arvtoon
I was just trying to point out, however (and it didn't appear that I was alone), that on some browsers the window and “browse” button simply aren't there. It may be a Mac issue– it may be a browser issue, I don't know. That's why I entered the forum.
If I was tert when I did so, I apologize again, but I have also noticed a number of the FAQ pages on DrunkDuck tend to give suggestions and solutions that apply only to PC users. I can't imagine you don't have plenty of Mac-using members.

I didn't mind that you were upset about not finding the help you wanted initially. :) I think that's pretty understandable, I'd have been frustrated too. I think everyone here will admit that DD has a lot of things that it could be doing better - a help system, more mac/firefox support, etc. The essential problem though is that there are only so many people (one) working on the site coding, and there's a big list of to-dos that have to be prioritized. :/

KevinClifford
I'll try learning how to do it over the summer, since I'm gonna go and try to get a job at Best Buy, which apparently sells them…

You probably won't get it for much cheaper, the computers don't usually have much markup. :) Accessories and stuff is where the discount kicks in!
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
KevinClifford at 11:34AM, May 2, 2007
(online)
If I work the morning shift, I can spend the time I'm supposed to work on the computer :D

..No one ever goes to Best Buy on Weekday mornings.. :)

Skool
I think everyone here will admit that DD has a lot of things that it could be doing better - a help system, more mac/firefox support, etc. The essential problem though is that there are only so many people (one) working on the site coding, and there's a big list of to-dos that have to be prioritized. :/
Platinum should pay for it. lol!

arvtoon at 5:58AM, May 3, 2007
(online)
Kevin-

You're still in highschool, huh. Kudos on your tech work for DD. As my Dad used to say to me; you're wise beyond your ears. I did get my thumbnail issue worked out. My problem was the cover to my comic “Wayout West” is a wraparound, and when DD's auto-thumbnail function created the icon it was cropped through the middle of the image. I just went in and added the front part of the cover as an additional page, before the spread cover, and voila! You can now see my logo (or most of it) in my thumbnail. You should check it out!

By the way, if you were talking above about buying a Mac, they have the I-Macs now for around $500 I believe. They do most everything the Bigger Macs do and for under $1,000.

Finally– you're too young to have seen the original series, but surely you get TV Land at home. Next time they run the old Odd Couple shows, check them out. They're classics.

Thanks. Talk soon.

ozoneocean at 6:44AM, May 3, 2007
(online)
I always loved the theme tune to the TV Odd Couple. A classic sitcom.

And funnily enough, many, many very popular webcomics owe a massive debt to it. ;)

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:26PM
KevinClifford at 12:51PM, May 3, 2007
(online)
I think TV Land has OnDemand… Otherwise, it's on every night at 12 AM… When I'm sleeping :(

>.>

I haven't watched T.V. in awhile, though :)

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved