Debate and Discussion

Chicken intelligence?
kyupol at 9:45AM, Nov. 2, 2006
(offline)

WARNING: WEBSITE LINK MAY HAVE DISTURBING CONTENT

http://www.chickenindustry.com/cfi/intelligence/

Are chickens intelligent? With cognitive abilities and smarter or as smart as primates and dogs and cats?

If that is indeed true, I'd stop eating chickens. (or drastically minimize chicken consumption)

And I tried to keep a chicken as a pet (called humane society) but its illegal in the city of Toronto. :(

Damn my choice of pets… I once liked having a pet wolf… but those things are fucking illegal.

Why is a pet chicken illegal? its not vicious or poisonous or any of that shit. I dont understand.

NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:25PM
Rich at 10:07AM, Nov. 2, 2006
(online)
Chickens are really adorable, but I don't care. They taste so good that I'd eat them regardless of their intelligence.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:06PM
ozoneocean at 10:54AM, Nov. 2, 2006
(online)
Yeah, I'm not looking at that site :)
I have my own stupid outspoken opinions on this…
When it comes to “intelligence” most people have a secret Nazi-master-race streak in them I find. Scientists are the worst, especially the ones that study “intelligence” in animals in general, but primatoligists who study chimps and gorillas, and marine biologists who study whales are just as bad.
Basically the idea is that self awareness and intelligence in humans is just taken for granted because we're all such amazingly perfect (almost GOD created) principals of evolution. Without much pushing you'll get people saying that ‘so and so’ is far more intelligent than ‘such and such’, and certain people are “gifted” from birth, or maybe certain “races” are just naturally “smarter”…
Basically it's the same old racism and the basic class/caste system ideas that lie barely below the surface, just waiting to spring forth and scream “superiority by birth-right”!

All animals are basically put on the earth for our consumption/pleasure/convenience/whatever, to do with as we will. They have no intelligence or self awareness, unless WE SAY SO! They just operate from blind instinct, they have no feelings, emotions, thoughts, or memories, and are incapable of feeling pain. -that's the default setting I find, which saddens me because it's extremely moronic.

The only reason we accord chimps and dolphins similar status to humans is because in the case of chips, they have a sort of a basic resemblance to us so they've gained the attention of behavioural scientists who become rabid advocates for them. With dolphins they have a fixed grin, they like to interact playfully and posses a large heavy brain (which recent studies show is mostly just made up of a heating system), so they have their own scientist advocates. All other animals require someone to “prove” their intelligence; without that they basically have none. The trouble with your rabid dolphin and primate people is that they tend work even harder against the idea that any other animal could possibly be “intelligent”, which is strange, but that's how it seems to be.

That's how I see the situation anyway.
My position is that every animal is “intelligent” and pretty much every creature has self awareness. The trouble is that it's not the same as ours, because their bodies and brains are different and they've evolved and adapted in different ways to us, to survive in different environments etc. When we gauge “intelligence” scientifically in animals what we're actually doing is measuring how much they're actually like us in the way they think and react, which given our basic evolutionary differences is a little stupid. It tells us far more about ourselves than the animals we study.

So yeah, chickens are “intelligent”. But that won't stop me eating them either. By the way, chickens don't really taste of much (because they don't fly or move a lot), which is the main reason we like them.

I know my opinions here are controversial, feel free to contradict me at will. :)

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:24PM
kingofsnake at 1:13PM, Nov. 2, 2006
(online)
I'd eat dophin if they sold it. I have an evil plan to catch and can shreded dolphin. One of my old bosses overheard me and we had a conversation like this.

Me: You're saying you wouldn't eat dolphin.
Boss: You realize I was one of those people protesting the tuna industry back in the 90's?
Me: Tuna was SO much better when there was dophin in it.
Boss: There wasn't even dophin in the damn tuna, they'd throw the dead dolphins away.
Me: Oooooh, so your issue is that they were wasting it.
Boss: No my issue is that they're one of the smartest creatures in the world
Me: Not smart enough to not get caught in a net.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:15PM
Phantom Penguin at 2:31PM, Nov. 2, 2006
(offline)
Well my hunger for chicken knows no bounds. I don't care if they can sovle a math problem. if their flesh is yummy i will consume it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:42PM
LIZARD_B1TE at 3:29PM, Nov. 2, 2006
(online)
I will NOT support any opinions that will prevent me from munching some nice, greasy, fried chicken! Chickens are dumb, stupid animals who should be raised for slaughter simply so that they can be fried!

FRIIIIIIED CHICKEEEEEEEN!!!

It's amazing how one of my best friends is a vegetarian and I've only gotten into an arguement with her about meat consumption once.

As long as humans have canine teeth, we will eat meat. The existance of such teeth proves that we are meat-eaters.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:36PM
Rich at 4:05PM, Nov. 2, 2006
(online)
LIZARD_B1TE
FRIIIIIIED CHICKEEEEEEEN!!!

AND WATERMELON!!!
Jillers at 4:21PM, Nov. 2, 2006
(offline)
If chickens ARE intelligent, then we should eat more of them - you know how homo sapiens don't like having intelligent competition.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:08PM
kyupol at 6:37PM, Nov. 2, 2006
(offline)
I just have issues with animal cruelty.

If I find out that my food is coming from stupid factory farms like that, I'll boycott their products.

There's no need for cruelty to get meat.

Dont get me wrong… I ain't PETA. PETA are just a bunch of idiots who think animals are equal or superior to humans. They just have a self-loathing (because they're human) that is just kinda weird.

NOW UPDATING!!!
Rich at 7:10PM, Nov. 2, 2006
(online)
kyupol
PETA

PETA's website is filled with comic gold. Those guys put some hilarious shit online.
KomradeDave at 8:11PM, Nov. 2, 2006
(online)
If the good Lord didn't want us eating chickens they wouldn't be made out of meat, intelligent or no.
Handshakes and mustaches are the only ways to know how much you can truly trust a man.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:20PM
Rich at 8:21PM, Nov. 2, 2006
(online)
KomradeDave
If the good Lord didn't want us eating chickens they wouldn't be made out of meat, intelligent or no.

Ya know, human fetusses are made out of meat…
BigFishComic at 8:36PM, Nov. 2, 2006
(offline)
this debate would work a lot better if there was less agreement.

…but whatever. Animals eat each other all the time. It's pretty natural. Should we try to stop animal on animal cruelty while we're at it?
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:22AM
KomradeDave at 9:09PM, Nov. 2, 2006
(online)
Rich
Ya know, human fetusses are made out of meat…

…and great with garlic and some A1
Handshakes and mustaches are the only ways to know how much you can truly trust a man.
kyupol at 4:35AM, Nov. 3, 2006
(offline)
BigFishComic

…but whatever. Animals eat each other all the time. It's pretty natural. Should we try to stop animal on animal cruelty while we're at it?

As a superior living creature, it is our responsibility to look after the welfare of the other creatures. God gave them to us as food… but it is our responsibility to take care of them in return and give them painless, humane deaths as possible.

Torture is just fucking wrong. Humans and animals arent supposed to receive that kind of shit.

I just did boycott KFC because of their torture to animals. These abuses to animals are almost comparable to saddam torture videos. :(
NOW UPDATING!!!
Aurora Moon at 12:34PM, Nov. 3, 2006
(offline)
kyupol
BigFishComic

As a superior living creature, it is our responsibility to look after the welfare of the other creatures. God gave them to us as food… but it is our responsibility to take care of them in return and give them painless, humane deaths as possible.

Torture is just fucking wrong. Humans and animals arent supposed to receive that kind of shit.

I just did boycott KFC because of their torture to animals. These abuses to animals are almost comparable to saddam torture videos. :(

yeah, that's an good attudite to have. I've found that animals that was treated well and killed painlessly as possibly tends to taste much better than those which was treated badly.
I wonder why?
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:09AM
LIZARD_B1TE at 12:37PM, Nov. 3, 2006
(online)
Aurora Moon
yeah, that's an good attudite to have. I've found that animals that was treated well and killed painlessly as possibly tends to taste much better than those which was treated badly.
I wonder why?

They're healthier.
Aurora Moon at 12:39PM, Nov. 3, 2006
(offline)
LIZARD_B1TE
Aurora Moon
I wonder why?

They're healthier.

yep. fed well, lived well, and therefore much more plumpier and juicier. yum.
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:09AM
KomradeDave at 3:31PM, Nov. 3, 2006
(online)
I agree, stress makes the meat stringy and bitter, that's why I don't eat out much. I fortunately live in a farming community and know how well most of my food has been treated.
kyupol at 4:01PM, Nov. 3, 2006
(offline)
I wonder why?

I think its God's way of punishing you for treating his creatures like shit. Either it tastes bad or you get sick.
NOW UPDATING!!!
ozoneocean at 4:52PM, Nov. 3, 2006
(online)
Hahaha, so no one wants to talk about animal inteligence? Cool.

Hmm, my cat wont eat sick rats. He'll kill them, but he won't eat them. He scoffs the healthy ones with glee. There's a lesson there… If only we humans were as bright. :)

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:24PM
Black_Kitty at 8:33PM, Nov. 3, 2006
(online)
kyupol
Why is a pet chicken illegal? its not vicious or poisonous or any of that shit. I dont understand.

Bird flu?

They say horses and dogs are “intelligent” but that doesn't stop some people from eating them. I rather love my chicken wings.

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:23AM
Tantz Aerine at 7:13AM, Nov. 4, 2006
(online)
kyupol
I just have issues with animal cruelty.

With fear of being stared at like an alien… um, I'll say that having had such issues for a long long time, I ended up being a vegetarian (though I do eat products that do not require the animal to be killed).

There is no need to kill anything to eat like a king. There's an enormous variety of food that will sustain you and shield you from disease without having to draw blood… ‘sides, if it’s okay to eat something that clearly has feelings and is terrified at the face of impeding death (and there is no friggin' way animals won't understand they are being taken to be butchered), why feel horrified when some chaps tend to like eating other chaps?

Plus, some of the ways to kill those animals are hideous and cruel.

Anyway… I know it may sound extreme, but it makes sense if you think about it.

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:06PM
Rich at 7:30AM, Nov. 4, 2006
(online)
For every animal you don't eat, I'm gonna eat three!
Tantz Aerine at 7:33AM, Nov. 4, 2006
(online)
Rich
For every animal you don't eat, I'm gonna eat three!

Well that's your prerogative *chuckles* as I am not your mother ;)

LIZARD_B1TE at 6:14PM, Nov. 4, 2006
(online)
Tantz Aerine
There is no need to kill anything to eat like a king. There's an enormous variety of food that will sustain you and shield you from disease without having to draw blood…

Plants are alive too, you know! So, plants are lesser than animals? Plants are the ones supplying you with oxygen, you know! All animals do is compete with you for oxygen!

You're trying to suffocate us all to death, plant killer! >=O

God, I've always wanted to say that.
Rich at 7:56PM, Nov. 4, 2006
(online)
I love animals so much! I cry every time I bite into a nice juicy chicken wing. Just thinking about the misery, sadness, and pain the chicken went through makes me want to go to my room and cut my wrists…
lefarce at 8:47PM, Nov. 4, 2006
(online)
wait ahead of u rich

poor chickie chicks :(

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:30PM
LIZARD_B1TE at 5:36AM, Nov. 5, 2006
(online)
Tater Salad
According to that page, the chicken's average IQ is 404.

…..COOL! subtle

Rich
I love animals so much! I cry every time I bite into a nice juicy chicken wing. Just thinking about the misery, sadness, and pain the chicken went through makes me want to go to my room and cut my wrists…

…….STOP THAT!
Tantz Aerine at 6:16AM, Nov. 5, 2006
(online)
LIZARD_B1TE
Tantz Aerine
There is no need to kill anything to eat like a king. There's an enormous variety of food that will sustain you and shield you from disease without having to draw blood…

Plants are alive too, you know! So, plants are lesser than animals? Plants are the ones supplying you with oxygen, you know! All animals do is compete with you for oxygen!

You're trying to suffocate us all to death, plant killer! >=O

God, I've always wanted to say that.

*laughs* if you are hoping to save oxygen by having spinach replenish the atmosphere, good luck! Plants are not lesser than animals, of course, and you are probably right in that we should all be vegans (I'd like to see how easy it would be for all of us to eat only fruit and nuts and vegetables- it was a struggle to be able to cut eating meat, as I have been rather meat-loving in my life ;) )- but at least they are a form of life on which things like mutilation and killing do not hold as it does to the fauna: if you are not avaricious enough to destroy the root, most plants regenerate. Plus, there is also pruning that we do anyway and is considered (with evidence) that plants need and thrive from.

So it's not the same as killing an entity that will definitely not grow back a rib or a head or a hip.

…or perhaps, I have read too much into all the teasing I have rather willingly invited :)

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved