Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Childhood candies you remember.
Aurora Moon at 3:24AM, Feb. 3, 2009
(offline)
I'm sure that everyone here, at one point or the another had sweets as a child that they still had fond memories to this very day.

So, What was your favorites as an child? Which candies stands out the most in your memory? Did any of them get discontinued for any variety of reasons?

Candies I ate as an kid but got discontinued:
Candy cigarettes (or Bubble Gum Cigars)– They were this gum-like candy that designed to look like cigarettes when wrapped. you could blow on it, and flour/something else would come out of it to simulate smoke. sometimes they looked pretty realistic, especially if you blew on it a certain way and held it like how you would do a real cigarette.
I remember I would get a few stares from adults when I was very young then because of that. Afterward I would just take off the wrapper and then chew it.
You can guess easily why this candy was discontinued.

Wax Fangs– candy made to look like fangs. dunno why this was discontinued?

Candy that I ate as a kid, but still exists:
Whatacallit– I remember the bizarre commercial more than I remember the taste of the candy.
Candy Buttons–they're those sugar dots on this sheet you could just pick off and eat.
Rolos–carmel covered in chocolate. still love this stuff!
candy necklaces…
There was also the following:
Apple Heads, Bottle Caps, Charms Blow Pops, Fruit Stripe Gum, Fun Dip, Gobstoppers, Grape Heads, Jolly Rancher Sticks, Mamba, Nerds, Orange Heads, Pixy Stix, Pop Rocks, Runts, Saf-T-Pops, Slap Stix, Sweetarts, Zotz, Atomic Fireballs, Bazooka, Bit O Honey, Jawbreakers, Lemonheads & Now & Laters. Airheads, Bottle Pops, Caramel Apple Pops, Cow Tales, Giant Smarties, Mega Double Lollies, Push Pops, Ring Pops, Runts, Shock Tarts Roll, Sour Patch Kids, Sour Punch Twists, Sweetarts Roll, Cry Baby Gum, Jolly Rancher Pieces
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:10AM
DMH at 3:40AM, Feb. 3, 2009
(offline)
Ooh, a thread I can sink my teeth into (Okay, bad pun. Let's move on, shall we?)

As a kid, paddle pops used to bring out all these flavours of ice cream that I really liked. Choc mint, caramel/choc, bubblegum, triple choc, etc. But these were only available for a few months, which I hated because I used to love them.

Similar ice creams were the old cadbury ice creams such as freddos and other stuff. They still make the tub ice creams, which are nice, but I miss the old individual bars.

Chocolates I miss are the old honeycomb picnics and during the olympics there were these promotional lollies you could get with cards for each sport.

Also, the tuck shop (canteen) used to have these mixed bags for five cents when I was in kindy and year one (Now they're about fifty cents. God I feel old) and my favourites were the racing cars. I haven't been able to find them since. I miss them.

And all the ones I used to eat that are still around? M&Ms, Mars Bars, Twirls, Time Outs, Kit Kats, Dove, Starburst Chews, Dairy Milk, Freddos, Caramello Koalas, Red Frogs, Snakes, Pineapples, Teeth and strawberry Creams. I have a major sweet tooth.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:12PM
Custard Trout at 3:50AM, Feb. 3, 2009
(offline)
They still make Freddos and Pineapples? SERIOUSLY? WHERE, FOR FUCKS SAKE?

Um. . . anyway. I remember Rhubarb and Custard sweets, and the Apple Crumble ones, they were great. I actually found a bag of Rhubarb and Custard's somewhere, but they were the wrong shape and they tasted funny. Coconut mushrooms, those were great as well.

Oh, liquorice torpedoes! I don't like liquorice but for some reason I loved those things. I'm not sure if they were actually liquorice torpedoes, that's just what I called them.

What else? We also had chocolate cigarettes, but they didn't have fake smoke or anything. They were basically just sticks of chocolate covered in white sugar paper. Didn't stop us trying to smoke them, though, mostly because we were incredibly dense and paid five quid for them, thinking they were real.
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:01PM
Ozoneocean at 4:28AM, Feb. 3, 2009
(online)
Hahahah! Oh yeah! I'd forgotten about those! -Boxes of "Fags". They came in a little blue box that looked like a tiny cigarette packet, with pictures of cartoon kids on the front and cartoon smoke rings. :)
The things themselves were crunchy white musk sticks with red at the end to simulate a lighted tip. I loved those.

Chocolate bullets were better too: Short bits of licorice covered in chocolate. They were smaller and softer than what I can get now. :(

Redskins were hard sticks of milky red toffee stuff. It was nice but could pull out fillings or teeth. Literally I'm afraid. -Pic of an Indian Chief on the wrapper.

Milkos were like redskins, but white and slightly softer… also a bit blander. the wrapper was white with a milk truck on it… Well there was a bit of red and blue on it too.

Caramello Koalas, as DMH says. They were a bit smaller then than they are now and the chocolate was a little thinner with more caramel inside them, Now they're big, fat,, thick with chocolate and almost nothing in them anymore… -_-
-They are of course a flattish chocolate thingo that looks like a cartoon Koala.

-Turkish delights used to be cool too! Their wrapper was shiny pink and gold paper with cardboard inside to stop the chocolate from cracking… Now they're thicker to stop that happening, so don't taste as good (the filling is important, not the generic choc coating dickheads!) and the wrapping is the same plastic crap on every chocolate bar… That's a REAL shame because they had such a beautiful retro look that I always loved as a kid, they looked like one of the chocolates from the original Willy Wonka film :)
I always thought I might find a magic ticket inside one of the wrappers. ^_^

…Now when I want Trurkish delight I buy the real stuff instead.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:33PM
Senshuu at 5:06AM, Feb. 3, 2009
(offline)
Every candy I ever liked is still around pretty much.

And I was picky with my candy, as with everything…

Actually, I think I had a cadburry egg once, liked it, and then proceeded never ever to see them again. :(
:D
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:27PM
DMH at 5:15AM, Feb. 3, 2009
(offline)
Custard Trout

I live in Sydney, Australia, so that might be why they aren't around for you. But I can get them from Woolworths, Franklins, Coles, etc. (Pineapples are in Allens retro mixed bags, along with the teeth).
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:12PM
Aurora Moon at 5:35AM, Feb. 3, 2009
(offline)
Senshuu
Actually, I think I had a cadburry egg once, liked it, and then proceeded never ever to see them again. :(

they're usually sold more often around Easter. that's when I see a lot of those in abundance. I think it also might depend on which stores you go to too.
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
Ozoneocean at 5:50AM, Feb. 3, 2009
(online)
DMH
Custard Trout

I live in Sydney, Australia, so that might be why they aren't around for you. But I can get them from Woolworths, Franklins, Coles, etc. (Pineapples are in Allens retro mixed bags, along with the teeth).
Freddos in all different flavours… And in the mixed bags you get the milk bottles, the strawberry creams, the horrible banana lollies that taste NOTHING like real banana, chocolate freckles, caramel drops, and various coloured jelly sweets in different shapes. Stupid jelly snakes have really taken over now. :P

You know, I used to LOVE chocolate bars when i was little, especially Marsbars. Now I can't really stand them. They're like fake chocolates or something. Now I know what chocolate's meant to taste like, and caramel etc, I feel sick eating them. -_-
I only buy that stuff when I'm super hungry and out of energy at the end of a log day- or night :)

The only way I'll eat them otherwise is to cut them up into tiny pieces and sprinkle them on a bowl of melted ice cream. Hmmmmmm!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:33PM
SeriousQuiche at 6:06AM, Feb. 3, 2009
(offline)
I remember Fruit Stripes Gum…You can still find it every once in a blue moon.

I remember candy necklaces too. They were so awesome until you got about halfway through…then they started getting sticky and gross.

What about these:

I still eat candy, so most of the stuff I like still sticks around: 100 Grand, Milk Duds, Butterfingers, I do miss Butterfinger BBs though. Nice and bite size…and what happened to Buncha Crunch? I feel like I don't see that anymore in theatres.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:28PM
lba at 6:36AM, Feb. 3, 2009
(online)
I used to love wax bottles. Those stupid little things shaped like coca cola bottles filled with what tasted like melted popcicles. I used to get them for free every time I went to the hardware store with my dad and we'd talk to the owner for a bit. I don't think I've seen them in almost 15 years.

I also remember caramel apple pops. Suckers with green apple flavouring and caramel coating. Those used to be in really high demand when I was in elementary school.

Then there was this gum my mom gave me for Christmas one year. It was during that whole pokemon fad thing and I was fascinated by the japanese version of the cards ( They had pokemon that don't exist in the US games. ). I got this gum in the pokemon package that was made and flavoured with seaweed, but it had the most awesome realistic green apple flavour that I immediately had to ask my mom where she got it. She never could quite remember though and since I had no clue how to read the wrapper I don't even know what it was called.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:29PM
Senshuu at 7:15AM, Feb. 3, 2009
(offline)
I'm gonna have to go on a cadbury egg hunt around Easter!

SeriousQuiche
What about these:

Those were disgusting. I remember putting one in my mouth and being repulsed… it was disproportionate to anything I was expecting. D: Kind of like those black and orange plain Halloween candies.

Oh yeah, I loved those wax candies with liquid goo inside… except I could never get all the goo out, and I was afraid the wax might poison me or something. I keep having urges to buy them whenever I see them lately. (Yeah, I still see them. It's something you'd think they'd have stopped making for one reason or another.)
:D
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:27PM
patrickdevine at 10:29AM, Feb. 3, 2009
(online)
I remember when in grade school the kids brought bags of individually wrapped candies to trade with one another for Valentine's Day. One of the things that I got was a lollipop in the shape of a roast chicken that was flavored like roast chicken.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:41PM
usedbooks at 11:14AM, Feb. 3, 2009
(online)
I love traditional/bulk candies of all kinds. Like those wax soda bottles with three drops of sugar water in them (as mentioned). I love gummy oranges, Necco Wafers, sour gummy worms, rock candy, jaw breakers, pixie sticks, all kinds of novel bubble gum. All those things still exist, but you have to go to a bulk candy store to find them.

I remember a soft candy that sort of resembled miniature fruitcakes. They were colored gels embedded in a milky gel of some kind. I don't know what they're called but I haven't seen them in ages. All the old ladies had them in candy dishes around Christmastime.

Another candy I miss is the plastic caskets full of candy bones. They contained a complete skeleton, and you could reassemble it like a puzzle if you wanted to. I loved that because it was like anatomy/educational candy! My mom taught me the names of most of the bones when I was a kid, and I could tell her which ones were absent or inaccurate… I've seen candy bones since then but never as a complete skeleton in a casket.

Oh, I also remember a godawful candy I had once as a kid. It was a miniature sports drink bottle full of excessively sweet colored goo (like pure corn syrup with extra sugar and coloring). Oh that stuff could make you REALLY sick.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:37PM
makosuite at 12:05PM, Feb. 3, 2009
(online)
Anybody remember Fruit Stripe bubblegum with the zebra?
“If you can only visit one, visit Vivid Imagery!”
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:50PM
kyupol at 12:29PM, Feb. 3, 2009
(online)
Choc nut

http://k53.pbase.com/g3/49/670449/2/84680214.RDfxG8pg.jpg

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:26PM
SeriousQuiche at 12:49PM, Feb. 3, 2009
(offline)
Senshuu
Kind of like those black and orange plain Halloween candies.

OH GOSH. All the old people in my neighborhood gave those out. Gross…They were like peanut butter taffy or something weren't they?

Oh and: I remember when they came with toys…
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:28PM
TheMidge28 at 5:34PM, Feb. 3, 2009
(online)
This thread in this forum where most posters seem to be under 25 makes me chuckle.
Is the move to nostalgia occurring a now younger age due the dire state of life here in this world?

by the by, I miss Big League Chew and Bubble Gum cigarettes which when you the powder off look like real smoke. Oh the good ole days!
Joe the Camel had nothing on those!
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:25PM
Koshou at 6:31PM, Feb. 3, 2009
(offline)
Wonderballs! I never ate them because I hated chocolate, but my sister was crazy about them.

I remember when they used to play KitKat commercials all the time, too… but then they stopped for some reason? pretty sure those are still around, though. XD
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:21PM
Evil_Snuffkin at 6:32PM, Feb. 3, 2009
(online)
I used to buy little flat icing stars from the local corner shop. There were also these brilliant Casper ice lollies with bright green goo at the centre which I loved to buy for a while…until they got banned for being toxic.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:24PM
Aurora Moon at 6:34PM, Feb. 3, 2009
(offline)
makosuite
Anybody remember Fruit Stripe bubblegum with the zebra?

I remember that. :)
jonmahashintina at 6:42PM, Feb. 3, 2009
(offline)
Fags.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:11PM
Custard Trout at 9:06PM, Feb. 3, 2009
(offline)
DMH
Woolworths

We don't have Woolworths any more either. They went all bankrupt and closed down.

ozoneocean
And in the mixed bags you get the milk bottles

I miss those as well. You can still get them but I'm too lazy to go out and buy some.
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:01PM
worstcase at 7:35PM, Feb. 4, 2009
(online)
lba
I also remember caramel apple pops. Suckers with green apple flavouring and caramel coating. Those used to be in really high demand when I was in elementary school.

Those were my absolute favorite candy ever, I wish i could still find them…
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:51PM
lba at 7:40PM, Feb. 4, 2009
(online)
worstcase
Those were my absolute favorite candy ever, I wish i could still find them…

They're still out there. I see them once in a while at Sam's Club or Costco in bulk boxes of 100. Once in a while you can find them at gas stations too.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:29PM
Evil_Snuffkin at 12:01PM, Feb. 5, 2009
(online)
Custard Trout
We don't have Woolworths any more either. They went all bankrupt and closed down.

They're bringing it back as an online store but I doubt that'll include the pick'n'mix section. *sob*
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:24PM
Hakoshen at 12:13PM, Feb. 5, 2009
(offline)
You can still find candy cigarettes here in Louisiana. Loved those things when I was little. Only other candy I really liked was big league chew, but you can find that too.

You'd think I'd have more considering my parents ran a corner grocery/candy store for about 5 years, but there wasn't much I liked that isn't still around.
God needed the Devil, the Beatles needed the Rolling Stones, Hakoshen needs me.
I'm the enemy he requires to define him.
Soon or later, he'll bring me back to life again for another epic encounter of shouting about power levels and grimacing.
-Harkovast
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:40PM
PIT_FACE at 7:35AM, Feb. 15, 2009
(online)
i used to live off of WarHeads. me and one of my friends used to stuff as many of em as we could in our mouth cuase thought we were bad ass and afterwards the sides of our mouths would be all raw and eaten away from the acid.haha

when i went up as saw liam in canada last year though there were these things called kinder-eggs. man, they were these chocolate egg things with white chocolate inside and a toy in eachone and man those things were AWESOME!

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:44PM
Ryuthehedgewolf at 8:41AM, Feb. 15, 2009
(offline)
As a kid, I never really ate candy all that much. Even during Halloween. I had a few candies every now and then, but it wasn't…well…normal. Although I have ALWAYS loved gum.

Bubblicious (think I spelled that wrong) used to have this Cola kind. I forgot the name, but it was my favorite and still is my favorite. It just tasted so good, and it was amazing.
But they stopped making it a while ago. I was sad back then, and I still am now.
I really want that gum now ;_;
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:16PM
Lonnehart at 12:50PM, Feb. 15, 2009
(online)
Heh… Even though I'm too old to enjoy the candy/toy stuff, I was still entranced by the commercial. :)

Nestle's Wonder Ball

Well… the song anyway…

SeriousQuiche
Senshuu
Kind of like those black and orange plain Halloween candies.

OH GOSH. All the old people in my neighborhood gave those out. Gross…They were like peanut butter taffy or something weren't they?

Oh and: I remember when they came with toys…
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:38PM
Xiam at 3:04PM, Feb. 15, 2009
(online)
Atomic Warheads. Heck, I still love those things. :D

And then we have the classic, the undeniable, Reese's Peanut Butter Cup. Aside from Snickers, no better candy.

…I never grew up.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:52PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon