Debate and Discussion

China is retarded
stardusty at 11:59PM, Aug. 10, 2006
(online)
http://articles.news.aol.com/news/_a/china-orders-mass-slaughter-of-dogs/20060801000009990001

Instead of just testing dogs for rabies, let's kill them all!
As a dog lover I can hardly believe this and I feel sorry for those who were affected by this.

For the record, I'm not some kind of crazy racist who thinks chinese are retards. I actually find China really interesting. I'm even studying Cantonese.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:57PM
Black_Kitty at 1:13AM, Aug. 11, 2006
(online)
There are probably so many dogs in question that testing them all would be impossible. I remember when I visited my dad's factory in China, dogs were said to run everywhere. Dogs were also said to have been stolen to be eaten. Especially black ones…they supposedly have warmer meat.

I think the main problem is this:

The World Health Organization has not directly criticized the slaughters, but WHO experts have said they underscore a lack of coordination and other problems within China's health care system.

Thinking back to SARS and the bird flu…I'm not surprised. China was probably facing two options: it could either improve its health care system and provide better health services to its citizens, including those who live all the way in the countryside. Or it could kill all dogs.

Killing all dogs is a band-aid solution but it's probably cheaper. Remember, this is the country who thought suppressing the news of a SARS outbreak was a good idea. :S

Once the symptoms of rabies appear, it's usually fatal. Very rarely do people actually survive the symptoms and when they do, it's even more rare for them to survive without brain damage. If you don't have access to modern medicine or you're unaware you're infected with rabies, you're screwed.

.: Black Kitty :.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:23AM
SarahN at 1:33AM, Aug. 11, 2006
(online)
Black Kitty
“..and because it's rabies, we must kill the dogs in the most brutal fashion possible.” :axe:
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:22PM
blackaby at 3:28AM, Aug. 11, 2006
(offline)
I don't really see this as being terribly different from the mass slaughter of birds in other countries because of bird flu.
Inkmonkey at 9:09AM, Aug. 11, 2006
(online)
Kennedy0
Just because its cheaper to kill dogs, doesn't mean its right. In fact, I think they should let it happen. Population control. They need it.

Yeah, because that's so much more humane.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:59PM
Kxela at 11:21AM, Aug. 11, 2006
(online)
all countries do stupid things sometimes.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:24PM
Mimarin at 11:25AM, Aug. 11, 2006
(offline)
meh, if you have too many animals that pose a significant threat to people's welfare then killing them is about the sum of what you can do about it.
Of course you will. All intelligent beings dream. Nobody knows why.

Also, tell random people they are awsome! it helps!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:02PM
Black_Kitty at 12:14PM, Aug. 11, 2006
(online)
Kennedy0
If someone gets bit by a dog foaming at the mouth or otherwise and they don't get help, they deserve to die for sheer stupidity.

Not all dogs who have rabies foam at the mouth. Some are unnaturally quiet and withdrawn.

If China had a better working health care system and a control on the wild dog population, this probably wouldn't have been an issue. But they don't and since the government is there to protect people first, dogs second, dogs unfortunately get the raw end of the stick.

They probably could have found a better way to put them down though. :S Why they think beating them in the streets is a good idea I have no clue.

Inkmonkey at 1:27PM, Aug. 11, 2006
(online)
The simple answer is because it's cheap and easy. Clubs are cheaper than guns, and you don't have to reload them. Chemicals are expensive, and require catching the animal first, then restraining, then injecting the poison. It's the same reason they club cows in the head with a mallet instead of a quicker, less messy method of death: it's easy, and it gets the job done.
Black_Kitty at 3:35PM, Aug. 11, 2006
(online)
Be honest and reasonable here then. If a passive quiet dog bit you…would you automatically think rabies?

While I think the Chinese government could have handled it better, a government's first concern should be the welfare of its citizens. I know that may sound amusing considering this is China but if we're going to start having prejudices against stupid people, I would imagine there'll be barely anyone left on this earth.

LIZARD_B1TE at 3:53PM, Aug. 11, 2006
(online)
The SARS scare was kind of over done, though, wasn't it? If I'm not mistaken, people with SARS have a 91% chance of living, and suffer from nothing more than headaches and discomfort. I don't know… well, anything about the bird flu, but I do remember something about Killer Bees a few years back that turned out to be nothing. Given such a track record with recent disease scares, you have to wonder exactly how bad this rabies scare really is.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:36PM
Mimarin at 4:00PM, Aug. 11, 2006
(offline)
Rabies IS incurable and fatal though, and it is easily spread by dogs.

isukun at 4:58PM, Aug. 11, 2006
(online)
Be honest and reasonable here then. If a passive quiet dog bit you…would you automatically think rabies?

Especially in a country where some villages are so behind the times, they tie condoms over their doors to ward off the baby spirits.

.: isukun :.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:03PM
Inkmonkey at 5:54PM, Aug. 11, 2006
(online)
We tend to get spoiled here in America. If there's a spread of rabies among dogs, we have the option to catch the dogs and take them to the vet to be tested. If we're hungry, we have the option to go to the store. If we're sick, go to the hospital. If your car breaks, take the bus, call a taxi, ask your friend for a ride.

But some places just don't have the resources to do that sort of thing. They're having enough trouble just keeping everyone fed; they can't afford to pick and choose which dogs could kill people. Hell, according to some people, many Chinese will end up eating the dogs (how true is this, by the way? Is it a common practice, or limited to slums and the like?).
Mimarin at 3:49AM, Aug. 12, 2006
(offline)
Inkmonkey
Hell, according to some people, many Chinese will end up eating the dogs (how true is this, by the way? Is it a common practice, or limited to slums and the like?).

Well china (despite apparently being the first country to keep dogs as pets) has for a long time been one of the few countries where people eat dogs, it's generally not a common thing due to them being expensive to raise (requiring meat or meat based feed and the like), but there are people who eat them. but yeah, lots of free dog meat for people! hurrah!

Inkmonkey at 8:24AM, Aug. 12, 2006
(online)
I don't think anyone is going to be able to eat these dogs, since the bodies probably have to be destroyed to avoid the spread of the disease.

As for animals only killing what they need… not true. It's true that very few animals hunt for sport (the only one I know for certain is the wolverine), but animals can be cruel and fucked up too. Have you ever seen a cat toying with a mouse? They might not have any intention of eating it, but they'll sure as hell bat it around and scare the living crap out of it.
LIZARD_B1TE at 9:14AM, Aug. 12, 2006
(online)
Inkmonkey
As for animals only killing what they need… not true. It's true that very few animals hunt for sport (the only one I know for certain is the wolverine), but animals can be cruel and fucked up too. Have you ever seen a cat toying with a mouse? They might not have any intention of eating it, but they'll sure as hell bat it around and scare the living crap out of it.

Humans are nothing but animals with logical thought processes and moral values. Other than that, we're no different. Actually, I've been writing a book that has this as one of the central themes. In it, one of the characters talks about what he calls “the Law of the Wild” which states basically the following:
1)All things must kill to survive.
2)All things follow their race's social structure, if they have one.
3)All things will eventually die.
If there is any organism that doesn't follow those three laws, I've never heard of it. But, yeah. Even humans follow these laws. (don't tell me that vegitarians don't follow the first one. Plants are living things too) Going around, slaughtering dogs like that merely proves how primitive we really are.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:36PM
Inkmonkey at 12:07PM, Aug. 12, 2006
(online)
Hey, this is a serious debate, and aside from your smell comment at the end, there was no reason to believe you didn't mean that comment in complete seriousness. All things considered, it would be just about as easy to consider my response to be a joke as it would to consider yours one as well.

So if you're going to make a joke, make sure it's funny, or you run the risk of people taking you seriously :wink:
Radec at 8:18PM, Aug. 12, 2006
(online)
I bet the Hot Dog industry in China is making a killing right now…
<= dead and buried.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:58PM
BigFishComic at 10:34AM, Aug. 16, 2006
(offline)
I always wonder how people have time to complain about how other people treat animals when other people still treat PEOPLE like crap.

ps. diew lay lo mo.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:21AM
Black_Kitty at 1:28PM, Aug. 16, 2006
(online)
bigfishcomic
ps. diew lay lo mo.

Tsk tsk~ :)

Terminal at 1:41PM, Aug. 16, 2006
(online)
bigfishcomic
I always wonder how people have time to complain about how other people treat animals when other people still treat PEOPLE like crap.

ps. diew lay lo mo.

Ah, I see what you did there.

.: Myxomatosis :.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:09PM
BigFishComic at 5:03PM, Aug. 17, 2006
(offline)
just kidding.

edit:
“The otter immediately starts going after him and goes after his snout and starts flipping him and dunking him to drown him, like they do to a fish,” Vanon said. “I started punching the otter in the face, which I felt really bad about because it's cute and I didn't want to hurt it, but it was killing my dog.”

http://www.nbc4.tv/news/9646420/detail.html
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:21AM
Duck at 8:22AM, Aug. 19, 2006
(offline)
The whole dog issue is basically just logic, ya may not like it, but it's the most effective, quickest, and easiest to do solution. When a dog gets rabies here, we have to put the dog down as well, and sometimes (as black kitty pointed out) it's not quite visible.

I don't LIKE the fact there may be innocent animals dying, but the point of the matter is that it's their best and possibly only option.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:17PM
Mazoo at 12:05PM, Aug. 19, 2006
(offline)
It would be very ineffective to try an capture all the wild dogs and vaccinate them, as someone mentioned before. I don't mind that there is a bit of a population control, but I believe the manner in which people are killing the dogs is just inhumane. Sure, exterminate some of the wild dogs, but bludgeoning them to death is near torture. It's just cruel.

What doesn't sit well with me is the fact that the government would take dogs of people who were walking them down the street and kill them right before their owners. It's illogical to try and vaccinate all of the wild dogs in China, but the owned dogs can effectively be vaccinated by the responsibility of their owners. By randomly killing owned dogs in the street is irresponsibility and an ego-trip of the government.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:56PM
Duck at 1:23PM, Aug. 19, 2006
(offline)
I do agree that one's that are owned should not be taken so, that it should be the wild dogs. The one's that are owned are much easier to tell if they have it or not. So that's just using a rocket to kill a fly.

The wild dogs are another story.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:17PM
Comicmasta at 5:04PM, Aug. 19, 2006
(offline)
Kennedy0
duck
The whole dog issue is basically just logic, ya may not like it, but it's the most effective, quickest, and easiest to do solution. When a dog gets rabies here, we have to put the dog down as well, and sometimes (as black kitty pointed out) it's not quite visible.

I don't LIKE the fact there may be innocent animals dying, but the point of the matter is that it's their best and possibly only option.
I rest my case on why we should kill the humans instead of the dogs.
Hey i like dog! ive had it before yes and trust me its good, smokey and tastes alot like beef.
i have been brought back….The Boanitia..grrrrr…..Must find Super Jesus!!!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:43AM
Comicmasta at 5:11PM, Aug. 19, 2006
(offline)
And another thing,

Ive read somwhere chinese people drink their own urine…

Wtf is that!?!?!?

SICK DUDE!!!!!!!

Imagine what'd it would be like if we drank pee..

Drink Pee Play again
Comicmasta at 7:05AM, Aug. 20, 2006
(offline)
equinox
Kennedy0
A dog. Anyone picking up on the pattern yet?

Yes, clearly you all get more bent out of shape over animals dying than humans. Yes we are also animals, but I don't see you bitching that people are all dying in the middle east! Are we so inhumane that animals have officially gained more rights than we have?
PREACH IT TO THE QUIRE!!
ccs1989 at 7:03AM, Aug. 23, 2006
(online)
We have an overpopulation of deer where we live. What the government does to get rid of them is inject the males with spermicide. But if those deers were infected you can bet they'd kill them outright.

I feel sorry for the dogs, yes, but China needed to save the humans.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:38AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved