Debate and Discussion

China's Space Missle
Phantom Penguin at 6:59AM, Jan. 19, 2007
(offline)
China Launched a missle that went 530 miles into the air, crossed into lower orbit and destroyed a old weather satilte.

This is a very powerful weapon, if used on the US forces in a war (not likley to ever happen) it would cripple the whole armed forces. GPS, Guided Missles, Intell. The list goes on.
Many people are saying this is the lowest point in US-China relations in history, they seem to be forgeting the armies of the two countries clashed in Korea more then 50 years ago.

I don't think this is much of a big deal, the white house is saying the launch was ment to threaten the US. But why? Theres no point. We already know China would be one hell of a fight. Was this needed? Of course it was. For China anyway.

If we had the missle we woud have done the same crap. A launch saying “look what we have”.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:42PM
mlai at 9:04AM, Jan. 19, 2007
(online)
So…

USA occupying another sovereign nation under false pretenses and against UN directives = war against terror.

China shoots down its own satellite = oh noes phear teh Yellow Menace.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:05PM
lothar at 9:09AM, Jan. 19, 2007
(online)
wow ! this is earily similar to a very poorly written book that i cant seem to stop reading at the moment. but this is exactly what China does in that scenario, they knock out all the US military sattelites and sort of level the playing feild, i always thought that they might try to do something like this ,it makes perfect sense from their point. I remember a few years back when they put a guy in space and stated that it was their goal to build a city on the moon, i'm not laughing anymore
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:45PM
subcultured at 9:34AM, Jan. 19, 2007
(online)
i wish the space race would start again…
we achieved a lot when we (the US) thiough other countries was gonna travel to the moon
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:00PM
mlai at 9:56AM, Jan. 19, 2007
(online)
Let us remember:

Over the years, Russia and China have sided with each other to seek an international treaty banning weapons in space. The United States has opposed such a treaty, and in October the Bush administration issued a new national space policy advocating “freedom of action” in space.

The United States has been researching satellite-killers of its own, experimenting with lasers on the ground that could disable, disrupt and destroy spacecraft.

In 1985, the U.S. Air Force fired a kinetic kill vehicle against a retired military satellite called Solwind. The satellite disintegrated into a swarm of fragments,

Soviet tests of killer satellites between 1968 and 1982 showed a different pattern of debris

So… new-fangled Star Wars tech threatening to tip global balance of military power? Yeah, in 1960. Oh no China has access to 1960 military tech!!?

Granted, this is obviously Chinese political maneuvering, by a new kid on the global block eager to show his growth spurt just made him almost as tall as the big kids. But any attempt to make this newsworthy is simply blatant fearmongering by a neocon admin in the White House witnessing the decline of its own political influence.

Bush = Freedom of action in space, as long as we're the ones who are free.

Phantom Penguin at 12:41PM, Jan. 19, 2007
(offline)
Its just muscle flexing. Kind of like when we show off new military stuff to the world.
then tuck it away as a dirty little secret that we can't afford to build it in mass numbers.
But…the world knows we have it.
lothar at 5:43PM, Jan. 20, 2007
(online)
theres an interesting article here http://www.atimes.com/atimes/China/IA20Ad03.html
funny , because its just days after the missle thing and doesn't talk about it at all
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:45PM
mlai at 11:14AM, Jan. 23, 2007
(online)
I like how it refers to China as a Superpower, implies China is a democracy, calls Iraq an American failure (well, it is), says Russia is “too weak”, refers to USA and Russia as serpents in the Garden of Eden, and uses a plethora of glowingly positive words to describe China's internal and external policies. I expected the author to have a Chinese name.

ccs1989 at 3:46PM, Jan. 23, 2007
(online)
Let's just hope the market prevails. When trade is going well and each country's economy is flourishing because of mutual gains, things tend to go well. When that trade falls apart because of other wars or disruptions then war tends to break out and things get even worse for everyone.

This is why we need to keep trade networks open and work on creating a global economy that is hard to disrupt.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:38AM
Phantom Penguin at 2:59AM, Jan. 24, 2007
(offline)
mlai
I like how it refers to China as a Superpower, implies China is a democracy, calls Iraq an American failure (well, it is), says Russia is “too weak”, refers to USA and Russia as serpents in the Garden of Eden, and uses a plethora of glowingly positive words to describe China's internal and external policies. I expected the author to have a Chinese name.

Its the Asian times….of course they are going to be a ‘bit’ pro-china.
haha
kyupol at 6:48AM, Jan. 25, 2007
(online)
America should worry more about china than al quaeda.

China got the world's largest army… and their technology is constantly improving. In a war with China, the USA has a chance of losing.

All China has to do is launch a full scale surprise ICBM attack into different American air fields, naval bases, missile systems, artillery positions, all the dangerous shit… leaving them with only a few battered up infantry (and civilians willing to fight) to deal with. And maybe some of the dangerous military stuff that hasn't been destroyed by the initial surprise ICBM attack.

Which could be not a problem… since their millions of soldiers will just do the job. More troops than american bullets. How is that?

There will be LOTS of casualties. Maybe in the millions… since America can still retaliate with a few nukes into Chinese cities and launch a few air strikes… since America has air bases in Japan, Philippines, and South korea.

Chinese forces will also open a front in Japan, Philippines, and South Korea. Even those 3 countries combined will still be out-numbered and out-gunned by the large Chinese army.

And maybe… these other parts of the world might join in:

Middle East: Islamic countries will all converge into Israel and finally wipe Israel off the map. Because America is pinned down fighting China… and not enough manpower to fight these Islamic countries

Europe: European countries might try help Israel… but Russia might also help China and invade into Europe

Asia-Pacific: North Korea and China vs Japan, South Korea and the Philippines… since they have good US targets in them.

And… once this shitty ass war is ended, we are gonna get nuclear winter.

But to prevent war, maybe America can try befriend its old enemies… like the Islamic states… but I dont think thats possible since Russia and China already have large clout in those countries.

Or… Americans and the rest of the world should just cowtow and learn how to speak Chinese… :) (*shudders at the thought of learning Chinese*) Chinese is a hard language to learn… and more embarrasingly… I'm part Chinese. lol :)

NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:25PM
ozoneocean at 7:25AM, Jan. 25, 2007
(online)
That's a good case there, but I don't think China is interested in expansion and war: All they really want is Taiwan. If they get strong enough and valuable enough to the rest of the world's economies, then maybe no one will stop them when they eventually take it. Those Chinese are amazingly nationalistic, ironic since modern Taiwan was founded by the Chinese Nationalists who lost out against the communists on the mainland… But yeah, they're a nationalistic bunch, they want what they see as “theirs”. They got finally Hong Kong back and that former Portuguese protectorate I can't remember the name of at the moment… Starts with an “M”? They're very protective of Tibet, they believe Mongolia is an essential part of China, a bit of other nonsense around the Western and northern boarders, but apart from that they're not that stupid about expansionism.

This minor missile test is all about Taiwan really. It just goes to make the case that no one else should interfere if they choose to go in hard. -And I say it's minor because hitting one of your own well tracked satellites that's no more that 500 miles up isn't really the height of deadly anti-satellite tech.

China doesn't need martial power to compete with the US, they have economic power for that.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:25PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved