lol
i guess you can make a horror movie out of anything

NSFW

http://www.fliqz.com/aspx/permalink.aspx?vid=d4a1635284dc472aa25749d7779552bd
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:04PM
Product Placement at 1:47PM, July 14, 2009
(online)
Aw.. It had a happy ending. Kinda glad that I use a plastic tree myself.

I once saw an advertisement for a movie where it turns out that Santa Clause was in fact a demon that lost a bet to an angel. The terms of the bet was that he was forced to spread happiness and joy, giving gifts to children and stuff, every Christmas for a thousand years. When the movie starts, his term is finishing and he's apparently planning on going on rampage to make up for all the niceness that he's committed for all this time.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:51PM
Aurora Moon at 4:36AM, July 15, 2009
(offline)
Product Placement
Aw.. It had a happy ending. Kinda glad that I use a plastic tree myself.

I once saw an advertisement for a movie where it turns out that Santa Clause was in fact a demon that lost a bet to an angel. The terms of the bet was that he was forced to spread happiness and joy, giving gifts to children and stuff, every Christmas for a thousand years. When the movie starts, his term is finishing and he's apparently planning on going on rampage to make up for all the niceness that he's committed for all this time.

I actually watched that movie. it was funny and somewhat scary at the same time.

Not too bad for an Christmas-themed horror movie. It was at least better than The horror movie, “Jack frost”, in terms of “believability”.

And Treevenge might be just even worse than Jack frost. =D
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:10AM
ozoneocean at 5:27AM, July 15, 2009
(online)
Product Placement
I once saw an advertisement for a movie where it turns out that Santa Clause was in fact a demon that lost a bet to an angel. The terms of the bet was that he was forced to spread happiness and joy, giving gifts to children and stuff, every Christmas for a thousand years.
Ironically that has some real truth to it in some ways :)

A lot of people are aware of the anodyne and somewhat pathetic origins of “Santa”… There are a few myths, stories and traditions that add up to make it, including the 100% fake one about Cocacola (Coke didn't create the red Santa, images existed long before Cole was even a company).
But people forget about the older mythological figure of Father Christmas who had darker roots… HE was very much key to founding the modern Santa myth.

This was an old Germanic/English traditional character involved in winter festivities and then Christian winter plays. He was never about being nice to children, his them was bout more adult oriented ideas of having fun…
Charles Dickens popularised and revived him as “the spirit of Christmas Present” in A Christmas Carol.

The popularity of that because of his humanitarian ideals and such things really helped crystallise and focus a lot of those old separate Christmas traditions into the one movement. So you have people bringing together all those other very disparate elements and making them into the same mythology by the time of the 20th century… STuff about Elves that had nothing at all to do with Santa or Farther Christmas or anything else but are a separate Baltic myth, reindeer from Finland, Christmas trees from Germany, all those saints from southern Europe who're meant to be the original Santa Claus, Good charitable kings… And of course the story of the Christ birth which was shoved into that date originally to take advantage of the earlier traditional midwinter festivities.
——————

The upshot is that through the Father Christmas part of it, authenticity is added to your silly demon Santa movie. :)

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:34PM
Product Placement at 7:50AM, July 15, 2009
(online)
Well if we're doing Santa myths, I have a good one. During the olden days of yore, long before people of Iceland celebrated Christmas, we had midwinter tales, just like everybody else. The country consisted mostly of farming communities that had precious few months of harvest and long cold winters where the struggle for life and death was difficult to say the least. Most of the midwinter tales centered around these troll offspring (called the Yule Lads in English) that sought to infiltrate our homes to steal from us essentials and to cause general mischief. The items they sought would be considered trivial today (milk products, sausages, candles and such) but back in the days, these were the things that kept you alive. Their mischief included harassing your livestock, causing them to run away, or attacking your door so that it falls of it's hinges (a bad thing to happen during a blizzard). By telling these stories to the children, they got a sense of appreciation for the few things they had.

The number of troll offspring and what they did varied between communities but the popular number was 13. In the 1930's an author collected these tales, picked the 13 offspring that he liked the most and published a story book about them. When tales of a Santa Clause, giving presents to children, started to spread around the country the troll offspring entered a peculiar evolution where they started giving presents instead of harassing us.

Now, it works like this. 13 days before Christmas the first offspring arrives. He travels to all the houses and if a child leaves a shoe next to an open window, he will place a treat inside. If they were naughty children however, he'd putt a potato instead. The next day, marks the arrival of the second one and this continues till Christmas day. Westernization has influenced the offspring a bit, they used to wear sheepskin as clothes but have altered their wardrobe to include the red suit.

We had plenty of fun horror stories that centered around these figures. The troll mother used to search for people with a guilty conscious to kidnap because it gave their meat a particular taste that she liked. If a person died outside during the winter, her cat, which was a carrion eater, would sniff him up and devour their remains. These have all been modernized as well. The Troll mother is dead (which is why her offspring had a change of heart. Her cat still eats people, but he goes only after those who don't receive clothes for Christmas (makes the kids far more happy about receiving those soft packages).

If you're interested in learning more you can look up the word Yule Lads in google.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
ozoneocean at 8:16AM, July 15, 2009
(online)
Hahahaha! That sounds beautiful! lol!

The great thing about Christianity is that it washes up all these old myths, combines them, preserves them, recycles them and keeps them current. So people STILL continue the same ancient traditions like midwinter and Easter celebrations.

One of the crap things it does though is when people pretend it doesn't… Like when idiots continue the Coke story, which devalues everything. Or when you get people saying the whole thing only comes from the 19th C etc, just dating stuff back to specific times and saying it's wholly Christian.
Or even worse; totally erasing history and just pretending it's modern.

When in reality, you can find many references to old Christmas and pre-Christmas practises in available literature.
————-

Speaking of your Iceland stories, I had some Norwegian friends who told me about their more elf related stories… And ancestor related ones too. Like going to the graveyard on Christmas eve and waiting until dawn. It's interesting stuff.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:34PM
Product Placement at 9:10AM, July 15, 2009
(online)
Most of our spirit stuff, elves and “hidden folk” are centered around midsummer's eve. The troll children completely dominate the midwinter.

For example, on midwinter's eve, you can decide to travel on a highland trail and sit down where two trails cross (these are not common spots in the highlands). If you sit there during the entire night, you're supposed to be able to see the “hidden folk” as they migrate during this night. They'll offer you all kinds of goods and food as gifts but you're not allowed to accept any of them. They'll take on the appearance of your loved ones, both living and dead and try to talk to you, but you're not supposed to respond. They'll up the quality of their gifts, adding jewelry and gold and will continue to try and get your attention until the day comes again and they'll finally leave. If you sat through the entire time without budging, the gifts will remain and you return home a wealthy man. If you respond to their temptations at all, they and all their gifts will vanish and you'll become insane.

Migrating elves are also suppose to drop wish stones during that same night. If you stumble upon these during midsummer's eve then they're supposed to be able to grant you a wish or at least, give you good luck.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved