Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Cintiq... who's got one?
cartoonprofessor at 4:15AM, Nov. 11, 2008
(online)
Gay everybody.

I am very curious to know who here uses a Cintiq.
I use a 21UX and absolutely love it! It's my most prized possession! (well besides my beautiful wife… but I would never call her a possession anyways)

So, who's got one? Which one? And what do you think of them?
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:36AM
ozoneocean at 5:58AM, Nov. 11, 2008
(online)

That's it. I'm still getting the feel of it. Weirdly though, I've done a lot less drawing since I've had it. I wish I could quit all my work for a while though and just force myself to draw with it for a few weeks.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:32PM
ozoneocean at 6:22AM, Nov. 11, 2008
(online)
I think this can stay in General just for a while Sub, I'm interested to know more about the comments people have about these things. :(

PIT_FACE at 7:20AM, Nov. 11, 2008
(online)
what is it?
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:44PM
Biz3 at 7:46AM, Nov. 11, 2008
(offline)
I've always dreamed of being the owner of one.

But.. guess I'll have to do with being the happy owner of a Wacom Bamboo for the time being, until the day I win the lottery or something like that.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:23AM
Hawk at 9:16AM, Nov. 11, 2008
(online)
I have one too. It was an investment, but it was totally worth it. I digitally ink my comics, and a Cintiq makes that easier than any tablet ever could. I've also done plenty of art and painting on the side, all made noticeably easier and more fun.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
JoeL_CQB at 10:52AM, Nov. 11, 2008
(online)
what if you had two!?

so far i've done stuff and played red alert 3, spore, and the sims 2 with it.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:10PM
SarahN at 10:59AM, Nov. 11, 2008
(online)
ozoneocean
That's it. I'm still getting the feel of it. Weirdly though, I've done a lot less drawing since I've had it.

Maybe that means you don't like it? o.o

Anyway nope, I got an Intuos. I'd love a Cintiq, but I'm in no rush to get one.
So do these things get dirty easy from having a hand on it? Because that would suck for us lefties.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:23PM
skoolmunkee at 1:52PM, Nov. 11, 2008
(online)
God damn all of you >:[
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:41PM
cartoonprofessor at 5:30PM, Nov. 11, 2008
(online)
PIT_FACE
what is it?

SarahN, you can get a cotton glove for them. But in my experience just an occasional wipeover is all it needs. They have come down in price a lot recently. I paid almost $4kAu for mine a few years ago and now I can get them for only $2700AU -Because I'm Special : )
ozoneocean at 6:17PM, Nov. 11, 2008
(online)
SarahN
ozoneocean
That's it. I'm still getting the feel of it. Weirdly though, I've done a lot less drawing since I've had it.
Maybe that means you don't like it? o.o
Possibly so. But I think I'm mainly having an “off” period. :(
Although I do wish the Cintiq was as big as my main monitor and wide screen too… I could have gone for the slightly cheaper wide screen Cintiq but that has a smaller size vertically and a lower res, while the 21 UX is the same as my main monitor pretty much (just not wide). I go used to having the pallets all off to the side.

SarahN
Anyway nope, I got an Intuos. I'd love a Cintiq, but I'm in no rush to get one.
So do these things get dirty easy from having a hand on it? Because that would suck for us lefties.
They get dirty, but are easy to clean as Cartoonprof says.. mine gets covered in marks from hands and what looks like scratches from the pen (they aren't though), but it all wipes off easily, and because of the antiglare surface and the strong backlights, you don't tend to see the much on the screen unless it's turned off anyway.

Generally I find it a little heavy and awkward to use. The stand tilts nicely and rolls forward and back well, but the weight and size still mean that it's not quick to position in a comfortable way.

I had to buy a high drafting type chair in order to be seated better to use it, because you can't sit back and draw like I used to with the Intuous: leaning back and drawing with it flat on the desk while looking at the screen. The Cintiq doesn't go totally flat, is always at least 4 inches up off the desk when “flat” anyway, and you really have to be sitting above looking down to work on it like that. When upright it's more like working on a canvas, and I find you have to be sitting upright and closer in to work on it like that.

So positioning and posture are things that change between the Intuous and the Cintiq.

Even now I find the main benefit for me is the space saving on the desk because I don't have the big tablet floating around there anymore. Apart from that my ease of drawing is the same.

lothar at 6:27PM, Nov. 11, 2008
(online)
yea that video makes it look cool , but you still have to think of things to draw on it , why can't they use technology to fix that ???

what about that one tablet that's even thinner than this and has even higher resolution and more flexibility , and its even cheaper
here it is

meh , im just mad cuz my tablet and scanner are both messed up
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:45PM
ozoneocean at 8:53PM, Nov. 11, 2008
(online)
They're very good and nicely designed, but one thing occurs to me as a bit of a disadvantage:
LCD tech has moved on a LOT since Cintiq 21 UXs came onto the market. ANd yet they're still using older, lessor quality LCD screens.

It's the best screen tablet you can get. but the monitor isn't that brilliant.

cartoonprofessor at 11:24PM, Nov. 11, 2008
(online)
lothar
what about that one tablet that's even thinner than this and has even higher resolution and more flexibility , and its even cheaper
here it is

meh , im just mad cuz my tablet and scanner are both messed up
Yeah, that one is great but you can't paint all over it then ‘command-z’. Ozone, I made a carry bag for my 21UX and carry it around to schools, etc all the time. It's heavy, sure, but I've done a lot of work with it on my lap, lifted off the stand.

I've found you actually sit in a far more ergonomic position than when using a mouse or tablet. It makes me sit up straighter, but then I'm lucky to have a really old computer desk that I can adjust the height with.

This one is the video for the smaller, more portable one.
cartoonprofessor at 12:14AM, Nov. 12, 2008
(online)
Hey Ozone,
Which nib are you using?
I found the Cintiq pretty hard to use at first because I was using the plastic nib (too slippery).

As soon as I started using the ‘felt’ nib… WOW.

The feel on screen is much closer to pencil on paper, because it ‘grips’ the screen better.
ozoneocean at 2:06AM, Nov. 12, 2008
(online)
Heh, I can adjust the height on my old drafting table, but I wouldn't trust that with my Cintiq on it… O_O

Oh, the nib is just fine for me. It's what I'm completely used to from years of working with an Intuous. It's a good, familiar feeling :)
——————

Nice ad for the portable model. It'd be good to hear more about people's personal experiences with the screens though.
F
or instance-
-The fact that all the cords: Power DVI, and USB are all trunked into one is nice, neat, and convenient, but can be a little bit awkward at the other end if you don't have a USB port close enough to your DVI port (or VGA or whatever you have).
-The heat under you hands can be disconcerting at times, but that's only more towards the top of he screen.
-The monitor image isn't quite as crisp and clean as a newer LCD. I don't know whether the anti-glare transparent drawing surface has any affect on that but I suspect it's a bit of both. The colours are not calibrated as nicely as those on my Samsung monitor, and the contrast levels are quite low compared to newer CD screens.
-I also note that there are some small issues with accurate tracking toward the very edge of the screen in places. That's not such a big thing because it's very slight and I never usually draw near the edges of the screen much anyway.
-Performance is highly dependant on software. I found that for whatever reason drawing was very laggy in Photoshop CS1, which made for a bad drawing experience. But had no such troubles in CS2 or CS3. And CS4 is good too, after some fixes (very much an Adobe problem that one).

But I think this could really probably go in the Tips and tricks section soon now…

JustNoPoint at 7:09AM, Nov. 13, 2008
(online)
I have the 21UX and my friend recently got the smallest one 12UX? I think that was the name.

I've had the 21ux going on for 2 years. The thing is a godsend. I never could finish a single issue on paper and couldn't get used to tablets.

Now I have over 250 pages that I still cannot believe I actually made myself. I couldn't make anything even close on traditional paper…

The screen is still in good condition.
I absolutely love the buttons that I can set.

Well, I won't go into all the pros… there are too many. I'll go into the cons

21UX cons

-The screen seems MUCH darker than my other monitors. No matter how I adjust it I can't get it to match other monitors. It makes my coloring look really cool on the cintiq but then when I move it to a brighter screen it loses it's punch and many areas I thought looked totally black stand out greatly.

-As Ozone said the edges have issues. This is only a bad thing in Photoshop (is their a way to make photoshop have a border around your image? The image always goes to the edge of the screen and I cannot scroll it higher without actually adding more canvas)

-Not sure if it's a universal problem but my stylus, if moved the “wrong” way and while nottouching the screen will sometimes activate the right click function and then makes a mark on screen. I have gotten better at not moving my stylus in the manner that causes this but it is pretty annoying none the less

That's all the cons I can really think of off hand aside from the bulk/tilt issues Ozone mentioned but by now those are mute as I am very used to working on it.

12UX cons

I have not used this one much
-smaller resolution + smaller screen makes smaller lighter pencil lines tough to see
-the box that all the cords plug into and that controls the monitor's picture options gets hot and is troublesome to find a place to sit it at sometimes.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:12PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved