Debate and Discussion

College
subcultured at 12:04PM, Sept. 12, 2007
(online)
there needs to be a stricter test to go to college.
people should be educated to go to college, if not then they should take preparation classes to get to college.

other countries do it, so they don't goof around trying to act free while spending their parent's money. US college nowadays are a joke, majority of people go there just to party.
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:03PM
lefarce at 12:10PM, Sept. 12, 2007
(online)
God yes on so many levels. This is probably the smartest idea I've ever heard. I'm about ready to drop out because of the people here, who I am sure are dragging down the weight of the education I'm eligible to receive. It's like someone took Harlem, turned it into a school campus, and then threw a boat load of spoiled rich white kids who see no value in their education, in stead using their funds on drugs.

I came here to get an education, I worked my ass off and I pay 100% of my tuition and expenses, yet I swear it's a fucking joke.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:31PM
mapaghimagsik at 12:20PM, Sept. 12, 2007
(offline)
You get out of it what you put into it. Colleges have different entrance requirements, for a variety of reasons.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:51PM
lefarce at 12:32PM, Sept. 12, 2007
(online)
mapaghimagsik
You get out of it what you put into it. Colleges have different entrance requirements, for a variety of reasons.

For me, at least, it's a real yes and no. This is the only college that I can afford to go to, I don't have the luxery of family helping, and my credit isn't too good, so I can't rely on loans. However, I know I'm smart enough to get into the larger schools, I just can afford to do anything like that at the moment. I'm using this one to transfer after two years to a better school, but at this rate it's just insane. :/

I may have to suck it up and take some loans, at least if it means getting into a better school. But I still agree that it shouldn't be so simple to get in. I didn't even have to present any real documentation that I had an education prior, which at the time even sent up some red flags.

Hawk at 2:00PM, Sept. 12, 2007
(online)
Lefarce, I think you'd be coming up on more resistance if you were getting into a more prestigious school. GPA would come into effect, extracurricular activities, even community work for some. And I'm sure you'll still find people partying and drinking their way out of those schools, but not as much.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
Spunkmire at 2:17PM, Sept. 12, 2007
(offline)
I would say I understand but I'm still in high school so I kinda cant. Although I do think they should come up with some method of letting people with better standards in.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:54PM
mapaghimagsik at 2:40PM, Sept. 12, 2007
(offline)
lefarce
mapaghimagsik

For me, at least, it's a real yes and no. This is the only college that I can afford to go to, I don't have the luxery of family helping, and my credit isn't too good, so I can't rely on loans. However, I know I'm smart enough to get into the larger schools, I just can afford to do anything like that at the moment. I'm using this one to transfer after two years to a better school, but at this rate it's just insane. :/

I may have to suck it up and take some loans, at least if it means getting into a better school. But I still agree that it shouldn't be so simple to get in. I didn't even have to present any real documentation that I had an education prior, which at the time even sent up some red flags.

There's definitely a strategy with loans. There's also getting electives done at a cheaper school and transferring over. Its not perfect, but it doesn't hurt to look at better schools now, if only to find out what the financial aid/loan package looks like. A lot of schools offer incentives to bright students to transfer.

At the same time, look at the bright side. Drunk co-students don't suck up computer lab/network time, and are out at parties when you can be at the library. =)

Oh, but my main point was going to be that generally, if the school is good, the income boost will offset the loans
kyupol at 2:58PM, Sept. 12, 2007
(online)
US college nowadays are a joke, majority of people go there just to party.

Actually that is beneficial to the new world order. The more the population gets dumbed down, the easier it is to subjugate them to their matrix of evil evil propaganda. :D

lol anyway… vocational schools (doesnt matter if its home improvement, automotive, computer-related, or stuff like sewing or baking) are much more fun. Because no more pointless stuff to memorize.

Everything is straight to the point and to get you more prepared to actually work on something.

Vocational schools are also cheaper compared to colleges and univs.

I took a vocational school and here I am working… while I just shake my head and feel sorry for the people who make the same money as me but have spent at least $20,000 on education-related expenses to send themselves to univs or colleges.

I'm sorta in danger of getting laid off.

And if I do, I might enroll in either construction (I dont like plumbing or electrician), automotives (I like the mechanical side of it and not the electrical and computerized side), or truck driving (small trucks).

Yep. Dangerous jobs but pay good. Haha.
NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:25PM
lefarce at 3:11PM, Sept. 12, 2007
(online)
mapaghimagsik
lefarce
mapaghimagsik

There's definitely a strategy with loans. There's also getting electives done at a cheaper school and transferring over. Its not perfect, but it doesn't hurt to look at better schools now, if only to find out what the financial aid/loan package looks like. A lot of schools offer incentives to bright students to transfer.

At the same time, look at the bright side. Drunk co-students don't suck up computer lab/network time, and are out at parties when you can be at the library. =)

Oh, but my main point was going to be that generally, if the school is good, the income boost will offset the loans

I'm basically trying to get credits here and transferring later, using the low tuition fees to save up more money for later. It's working, I'm just saying it's got it's share of headaches, although understandably so.

Partying is the least my my concern. My school has more of a gang mentality than that of a frat boy mentality. The campus is also located in a town that is notorious for having a large herion ring, or something of the sort. The school it's self enforces very little when it comes to taking care of violent crimes, but they're extremely strict on alcohol consumption.

Someone
lol anyway… vocational schools (doesnt matter if its home improvement, automotive, computer-related, or stuff like sewing or baking) are much more fun. Because no more pointless stuff to memorize.

Everything is straight to the point and to get you more prepared to actually work on something.

However they tend to try to employ you in high risk fields, usually in some form of construction. Most of the jobs you can attain as soon as you leave are jobs that will generally hire anyone.

I would know, I've been through that process already, and ended up working in fast food for a year despite being trade certified for computer technician. Course that was my fault since I didn't chose a hard trade, which is where the larger employment rates are at (again, because they're higher risk jobs). In the long run you'll make significantly less than a college grad, assuming spending years working up the ladder isn't your thing.

Although I'll admit those sorts of jobs sound more exciting than sitting behind a desk all day. :/

kyupol at 6:06PM, Sept. 12, 2007
(online)
despite being trade certified for computer technician.

From what I've heard… if you only got A+ certification, its hard getting a job as a comp tech and you might as well learn MS office (word, excel, powerpoint, access) and ACCPAC and Quickbooks then work as an admin assistant or accounting assistant. In Toronto, A+ cert has a salary range from $9 - $17 per hour. While admin/accounting assistant and 90% of ‘office jobs’ makes $10-$20 per hour. lol almost the same range… while learning how to use a software is easier to learn.

Why? Because notice how 2 years…. people just get rid of their “old” comp to buy a newer one. As the cost of getting it “repaired” or “tuned up” is not really worth it compared to buying something brand new.

As compared to CARS… major repairs that cost $2000 is still better than junking that thing and buying a whole new car for between $15,000 - $30,000.

Anyway as for computer technician… I've seen some schools offer a bunch of certs for a fee of between $3k to $10k… as in… when you graduate, you got A+, Network +, MCSE, MCSA, and all that Cisco certs…

But if you're a certified computer technician… think of all the money you'd save maintaining your own comp and replacing parts and reformatting it. Its a good thing to learn. :)

NOW UPDATING!!!
TheMidge28 at 11:39AM, Sept. 13, 2007
(online)
I recommend students graduating high school taking time off before going to college, so they can figure out a little more of what they want to do. There are way too many students being pushed to go right after high school by their parents, guidance counselors, teachers, employers, and the freakin' rest of society.

They're young still trying to figure out who they are, what they like to do, and where they want to go, but dishing out thousands and thousands of dollars to figure that out seems wasteful, especially when most will drop out in a year.

I say don't be pressured. Take a couple of classes at community college to wet your palette. Try out different things out there which are free. Travel to enlarge your world view. Take part in projects which help and revitalize areas of our society. Live.

Then after all that and you understand a little more of who are and the world, go to college.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:21PM
Hawk at 2:32PM, Sept. 13, 2007
(online)
TheMidge28
I recommend students graduating high school taking time off before going to college, so they can figure out a little more of what they want to do. There are way too many students being pushed to go right after high school by their parents, guidance counselors, teachers, employers, and the freakin' rest of society.

I recommend that too…. even just a year off. It gives a much needed break from school and allows a person to find out who they are outside of the stupid social system that is high school.

My dad pressured me to go into college right away after high school so I “wouldn't waste time”. This rush ended up putting me in the wrong college and wasting two years of my life. A little time to plan could've made all the difference in the world.
mapaghimagsik at 2:58PM, Sept. 13, 2007
(offline)
There can be some real good in waiting a year, but you'd better know before that year's up that you're going to college – or at least have *some* kind of plan.
kyupol at 3:23PM, Sept. 13, 2007
(online)
lol 1 year is not enough.

1 year for some, 6 months for others, and maybe longer for others… :P

I'm still tryin to ‘find my way’.

I took about 8 months off after high school… then wasted 2 years of my life doing art-related college courses. Completed 1 year of Art Fundamentals… then 1 year of Media Design since my ‘portfolio’ kept getting rejected by animation schools like Sheridan and art schools like George Brown. The only schools that accepted my portfolio that time were Centennial College Media Design… and the private school called “Art Institute of Toronto” (AI).

I wanted to go to AI that time… but it was too damn expensive. $15,000 tuition for 2 years. The dude who interviewed me told me that my portfolio still ‘sux’ but they were willing to train me (of course said in a tactful, nice way lol)…

But shit… $15k is $15k. For me to pay that, I would need to get the full support of my parents while working my ass off at a part time job. OSAP would only lend me $4k.. and the rest of it woulda been filled in by my hard work at min wage at a mcjob…

lol that was just too expensive and I'd be burned out as hell to be even able to concentrate on studies. Because I'm not from a rich family background and I lived in a shitty apartment together with my parents… (new immigrants lol).

Because of this, I went into Centennial to see how media design goes. Since its SIMILAR to animation in a way. So yeah… 1 fucking year of my life was wasted there.

Then I just found an office job and I'm still working at it.

Circumstances really suck… so now at least I have some saved $$$ for me to use to ‘find my way’.

So far… I ‘tasted’ the following fields through studying short courses (or trying out working) on them:
- forklift operator
- welding (short course in george brown)
- MS office course (took that for the sake of getting some ‘skill’ so as to get me employed in a job that isnt minimum wage)
- basic building maintenance (short course in GB that teaches you carpentry, electrical, plumbing, drywall, and a bit of tilesetting and painting)

Now I'm working at an office and doing PT as an automotive shop helper. :)

Still searchin…

and still regretting those years I wasted. I feel like I'm repeating high school again… this time in a more serious manner.

NOW UPDATING!!!
Priest_Revan at 8:49PM, Sept. 13, 2007
(offline)
But what about those people who do want to learn and are smart, but just have really bad test anxiety, like me. If there was a test, not only would colleges not make as much money, but a lot of people who want to get into college for real reasons can't.

Seriously, that's a horrible idea.

Also, the idea of a high school student taking a year off isn't a good one either, especially considering that most of today's teenagers will not go to college after taking a break. I know I wouldn't. But I guess it depends on the student sometimes.
Updates Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday's (depends).

7/0

Offering Project Wonderful Ad space on my website.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:48PM
mapaghimagsik at 9:19PM, Sept. 13, 2007
(offline)
For those with Test Anxiety, there's a great book called The Inner Game of Tennis

Yup, there's a risk that people who take a year off won't go to college. For some though, it shows what life is like *without* college.
kyupol at 9:35PM, Sept. 13, 2007
(online)
'test anxiety' huh?

lol I had ROAD test anxiety and it took me 4 times to get my full drivers license. :D
NOW UPDATING!!!
subcultured at 9:45PM, Sept. 13, 2007
(online)
Priest_Revan
But what about those people who do want to learn and are smart, but just have really bad test anxiety, like me. If there was a test, not only would colleges not make as much money, but a lot of people who want to get into college for real reasons can't.

Also, the idea of a high school student taking a year off isn't a good one either, especially considering that most of today's teenagers will not go to college after taking a break. I know I wouldn't. But I guess it depends on the student sometimes.

because when you get a job you still will have stress, if you can't take a test without breaking down…what employer would keep you if you're having emotional breakdowns at work.
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:03PM
kyupol at 9:58PM, Sept. 13, 2007
(online)
anyway, the college school environment is just not for me. I tried it out for 3 years and I only came out disillusioned.

Mainly because of… strained relations whether I liked it or not.

Its like first semester you establish your friendships with this group of people. Then next sem you just have to be separated due to changing schedules and such. It just adds stress… ya know… I wished I was this super emotionless man. :(

Other reasons:
- incompetent and lazy teachers. Its like… FUCK I PAID FOR THIS and you dont teach me properly?

- the fake “sexual harrassment” thing that went off with me… I was ultimately cleared but it just broke my will to continue.

- Then the painful heartbreak with this woman I wanted to marry… and the non-supportiveness of “parents”. I was like… FUCK… Why are these suburban kids able to afford to have more good times and have a car while not working a PT job at all!!! lol I was so jealous… and it just pissed me off.

Oh well… lol
NOW UPDATING!!!
mapaghimagsik at 10:51PM, Sept. 13, 2007
(offline)
subcultured
because when you get a job you still will have stress, if you can't take a test without breaking down…what employer would keep you if you're having emotional breakdowns at work.

Different stress, actually.
Priest_Revan at 12:34AM, Sept. 14, 2007
(offline)
subcultured
Priest_Revan

I'm not saying that someone's just going to have a mental breakdown, but I am saying that there are smart people out there who, even though they took the time to study, still suck at tests. I just don't see a test to be a very fair way to get into college. I mean, what would the test cover exactly? Just look at it this way: it doesn't make much sense for an art major to take a test with deep math in it.
Updates Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday's (depends).

7/0

Offering Project Wonderful Ad space on my website.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:48PM
lothar at 8:47AM, Sept. 14, 2007
(online)
to hell with college !!! i dropped out twice , maybe 3 times, i can't remember, i've prolly had about 40 differant jobs so far (most of them making little more than minimum wage ) from my perspective success is all relative. people go to college because they think it will make them educated ,but you could prolly learn more by being homeless and hanging around at the library !
before you go out and try to get “educated” at a school you should ask yourself “why?” most teachers are just a bunch of idiots who can't get real jobs ! why should i listen to what they have to say about anything, they're like robots , repeating the same thing over and over , several times a day. It is prolly the worst thing you could do to jump right out of the conformo-factory of the american public school system and into college. Drop out ! seriously , if you have not already done so - DROP OUT OF SCHOOL NOW ! before it's too late
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:45PM
Hawk at 9:25AM, Sept. 14, 2007
(online)
lothar
to hell with college !!! i dropped out twice , maybe 3 times, i can't remember, i've prolly had about 40 differant jobs so far (most of them making little more than minimum wage ) from my perspective success is all relative. people go to college because they think it will make them educated ,but you could prolly learn more by being homeless and hanging around at the library !
before you go out and try to get “educated” at a school you should ask yourself “why?” most teachers are just a bunch of idiots who can't get real jobs ! why should i listen to what they have to say about anything, they're like robots , repeating the same thing over and over , several times a day. It is prolly the worst thing you could do to jump right out of the conformo-factory of the american public school system and into college. Drop out ! seriously , if you have not already done so - DROP OUT OF SCHOOL NOW ! before it's too late

I'd like that burger with extra pickles and no mayo, please.
lefarce at 9:52AM, Sept. 14, 2007
(online)
lothar

Uh, what?

Sure you may gain more street knowledge from barely scrapping by in a dead end job. You may learn more about the harsh realities of life from that cramped studio in the middle of the hood. And when push comes to shove you'll rightly defend this extra knowledge you have when you get some lip by a guy who is upset that you didn't put the extra cheese he asked for on his burger.

College teaches you book smarts, life teaches you common sense. But it's a shame that despite this some people don't have enough common sense to understand that biting the bullet and getting “mean old worthless college” out of the way will actually land them a job that doesn't involve bagging or pumping gas.

Someone
Other reasons:
- incompetent and lazy teachers. Its like… FUCK I PAID FOR THIS and you dont teach me properly?

My English instructor seems to fit this bill quite nicely. However, it's just something that everyone will have to deal with at some point, or that's how it was explained to me. If teachers do that, and you become confused, sit down with them after class and ask for some clarification. Otherwise you're no better than them. Education is not one sided, you don't sit down and receive limited information and then get cut off suddenly once the bell rings. If you become stuck there are TONS of avenues to go down to learn the information you're missing.

joe_vee at 10:07AM, Sept. 14, 2007
(offline)
Priest_Revan

I agree with Priest Revan. Doing well on a test doesn't necesarily show how well you will be as a college student. I know friends who ace tests, that are geniuses but they are so lazy in other aspects. They don't study, they dont work, they are just good at tests. Testing won't necesarily show what a hard worker you are or how self motivated someone is. I'm not great at standardized tests either, and many of the questions they throw out there are stupid. They have trick questions on the reading comp sections where two or three answers are correct but one of them is just “more correct”. Standardized testing doesnt really test how we are as critical thinkers. And being critical is one of the most important things college aims to prepare us for. We learn why we fucked our history up, how to analyize things. Standardized testing usually doesn't give us that opportunity. Sure we have writing prompts now in the SATS and in other tests but that doesnt' fully measure how we are as critical thinkers, it measures how well we know a “specific prompt”. The prompts limit us, we might know a lot about a ton of other topics out there but we can get hammered on a test just because we don't know about the one or two prompts they forced us to write about.

I don't think that making tests harder is going to necesarily ensure that the students that get in are “better”. If anything must change I think colleges should start measuring students in other areas besides test scores. In the US they already look at GPA, SATS, extracirrculars, and personal narratives etc. But I think state schools should also look at reccomendation letters, and students should be interviewed, and growth and improvement should be considered ( I know some private schools do look at these things but state schools don't like UC's and Cal States).

Also just because students party it up and spend a lot of money doesn't necesarily mean that they don't belong in school or they are wasting their education. I know people who can balance both, and even though it might not seem like it's priority, I believe that being social and making friends (through partying or other means) is another important aspect of college. We can't just learn through books, you learn through friends and experiences. In college we learn about balance. I like to party but at the same time I work and maintain a good GPA and am involved in clubs and orgs.

Just remember that things might not always be what they seem, and I don't think it's fair to right someone off automatically just because they like to do keg stands on the weekends. I know some sorority and frat friends that have shitloads of things they do and they make good grades and are school leaders and they like to party it up during the weekends. I mean they do more then students that read and study all day. What do you think would help someone more career wise? Staying locked up and reading? Or learning how to interact with people and taking leadership positions?
~ You Are What You Love, Not What Loves You ~
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:10PM
Black_Kitty at 7:30PM, Sept. 14, 2007
(online)
Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing the return of the fifth high school year. For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about, I came from the old school system in Ontario where there's a grade 13. By grade 12, you should have 20 credits which is enough to graduate high school. However anyone who wants to go to university has to stay behind for grade 13 and earn 6 OACs. You can't apply to any university without at least 6 OAC credits.

I think I took more than 6 actually since OAC courses could be counted towards your high school diploma so I started early. But I think a fifth year of high school is a whole lot better than simply toughing up a bunch of entrance tests.

1. It allows students to mature a little. They'll be older when they hit post secondary.
2. It groups students with a common goal together. Anyone who sticks behind and take OAC courses are usually university bound.
3. OAC students have the whole year to demonstrate their knowledge and gain more. A whole range of skills can be evaluated that can take into consideration the different types of learners out there. A test will only appeal to a certain type of learner.

This is a sort of side note but I'm one of those people who have gone from high school to post secondary and then a few months later, got a job. The job part has much to do with my financial situation but if I could have afforded it, I would have taken some time off. Personal reasons aside, the time between you graduating post secondary and you getting a job is probably the most free and uncommitted time you would EVER have. So why not live life a little? Travel, experience new things, take some courses you've always wanted to take but didn't because you figured it wouldn't do anything for you.

This is a REALLY side note but speaking as an English teacher, nothing bugs me more than an unmotivated student who not only lacks commitment but also the necessary prior knowledge to tackle the course. I can help you if you lack prior knowledge or you don't understand something. That's what school and teachers are for. I can help you if you feel unmotivated. It just means I have to get creative. But I can't help you if you lack commitment, lack the knowledge, and don't care enough to learn.

Students need to understand that when you go to school, the one who has the most at stake is you. YOU are the one who needs to graduate. YOU are the one who needs to learn certain life skills and knowledge required to be successful in life. If you don't understand something, take initiative and ask the teacher. As Lefarce said, education is a two way street.

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:24AM
marine at 10:10PM, Sept. 14, 2007
(offline)
lefarce
I swear it's a fucking joke.

College is a joke.

Sorry, but it is.

People finish all their college and then do nothing. Some actually die of various things before they can accomplish what they wanted. Some people just can't get jobs in their fields because the positions aren't open because, as you guys said before, everyone gets into college now so everyone has equal opportunity.

A lot of people, seem to go into excessive debt. Then they spent the rest of their lives (at least their late twenties-early forties) paying these loans off. The whole idea of college is to get a nice high paying job right?

College just wasn't for me. It was a lame atmosphere, I felt I learned more with my own independent studios. Actually, that actually was what college was. “Heres a topic, go do research on this, then turn in a paper that I won't actually read, and thats that.” It seemed useless and pointless. I wouldn't dare take a loan for that type of shit or pay for it myself, government grants are there for you. If you've got a basic high school education, you can get into college easily.

Another thing I noticed in college, no one cares. Its great. Its not the same atmosphere as a high school at all. Its like there are no rules, so people do their own thing. Often they do drinking and other such activities. Like I said before I've never been that kind of a person. No drinks for me, parties are lame, and the only thing I find more lame and banal than football games and their fake rivalries is nothing. Its just outragous that people can be so excited over their generic sports team. People use it as an excuse to drink, like anything else.

College is a joke. I found it to be hilarious.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:52PM
lothar at 11:55PM, Sept. 14, 2007
(online)
Hawk

like i said; success is all relative. if your goal in life is to drive to the office everyday, have a mortgage, and look down your nose at the guy making your food or mowing your lawn , then maybe college is for you !
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:45PM
lefarce at 1:39AM, Sept. 15, 2007
(online)
lothar
Hawk

like i said; success is all relative. if your goal in life is to drive to the office everyday, have a mortgage, and look down your nose at the guy making your food or mowing your lawn , then maybe college is for you !

Keep on keepin' on, brutha'.

mlai at 5:35AM, Sept. 15, 2007
(online)
The one thing I loath about college libraries. All the girls whispering away to each other in the reading areas. I'd rather they just talk out loud; I can tune that out easily. The whispering drives me nuts and I can't concentrate at all.

So I either just take the book out and go to my room (I can easily tune out blaring music), or descend into the dungeon (basement floor of the separate science library) where 90% of the time it's deathly quiet (and smells like death).

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:05PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved