Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Coloring a comic in GIMP or on the computer
Jarrod at 1:57PM, Aug. 9, 2009
(offline)
Now, I draw all my comics in lead clicky-top pencil, and I ink the lines with a very fine ball-point sharpie.

The problem is this: Coloring is hell.

It's not the fact that I can't color it, it's just that it takes FOREVER to do it! I fill in the large spaces with the color I want, but then I have these little white dots all lining the inside of my supposedly ‘colored’ space! I have to go through and paint the color in myself, and that's what takes forever.

Anyone else having this problem? I normally have used Flash FireWorks to color my stuff, but now I got a new program: GIMP. I don't know how to use it exactly, so can anyone give me some coloring tips, or direct me to a free program that specializes in such a thing?
Draw.

Pew. Pew. Pew.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:07PM
Jarrod at 4:05PM, Aug. 9, 2009
(offline)
Can anyone help me?
Draw.

Pew. Pew. Pew.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:07PM
skoolmunkee at 1:15AM, Aug. 10, 2009
(online)
I've never used GIMP, but from what I understand it operates similar to Photoshop (as in it has many of the same functions, etc).

What most people do to avoid the white dots is to put their lines on a layer above their coloring layer(s) and set it to ‘multiply’ mode…. that means that A: the black lines will lie on top of the colors, and B: the dark lines will ‘multiply’ in darkness, making sure they are darker than whatever color they're on top of. (to keep edges looking smooth)

Then what you need to do is use the magic wand tool (on the lines layer) to select the area you want to fill. Then there should be a function someplace to expand your selection by a certain number of pixels, in photoshop it's Select->Modify->Expand (and you can type in # of pixels) … what that part does is ‘grow’ the selection to include an area underneath your lines.

Now go to the ‘colors’ layer, and Fill that selection of yours. With the above method, you're actually filling in underneath your lines, not just within the lines. So you should not have many white dots.

However since your lines are so thin, you are going to have some trouble still with white dots or overlapping colors. It's easier to do this method with thicker lines, which gives you more space to expand the selection and fill in underneath it.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:42PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved