Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Coloring Dark
BlueSoulber at 10:16AM, June 5, 2009
(offline)
I am using photoshop and I still dont know how to color in people/anything during a dark night. My second attempt turned out weird and you can see it as my cover page for chapter 1, anyway any tutorials or advice would be helpful, thanks

Wild Heart Main Site
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:29AM
korosu at 12:02PM, June 5, 2009
(online)
What I do when doing a dark scene is fairly simple: color everything as normal, and then add another layer on top of everything else, color it a dark gray, and set it to ‘Multiply’. Of course, that's just me…I don't know what everyone else does.

And for the record, what you did for that page really doesn't look half bad! I think you did a nice job with the highlights.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:21PM
kmajor at 11:08AM, June 8, 2009
(online)
For night scenes I like to keep to a bluish color palette. After a while you can kind of get used to picking out the shades of blue that correspond to your daytime palette, but when you're starting out, or if you get stuck you can always select an area and do a dark blue semitransparent fill. (Maybe 20% opacity, or whatever works best. You can always set it lower and fill a couple times until it reaches the level you want. Play around a bit.) One thing to remember is that colors do tend to get more muted and monochromatic in low lighting. (This can depend on the light source too, of course. Electric lamp? Moon? Firelight? Each of these will look a bit different.)

I agree with korosu though–it really doesn't look bad.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:19PM
Hunchdebunch at 4:41AM, July 19, 2009
(online)
I colour it in the normal colours, and then change the brightness until it's dark enough to look like night.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:51PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved