Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Coloring with Gimp
FanGurlZ at 3:30PM, Aug. 28, 2007
(offline)
I just can't seem to color my line art with Gimp. I try using tutorials but they either confuse me or they just don't seem to work for me. Can anybody give me any tips on how to color with gimp.
Homophobia: The irrational fear that gays will break in and re-arrange your furniture against your will.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM
stabbyfairy at 4:06AM, Aug. 29, 2007
(online)
I just use the airbrush tool on a layer under the lineart. It's simple but it works well enough. I use other methods for textures (involving the use of dodge/burn and/or clone stamp) but that's the basic way of doing it.
If you're drawing your lineart by hand and scanning, then you'll need to duplicate the background layer, select all the white areas and delete them first.
You also get an interesting watercolour-ish effect by painting on top of the lineart and making the coloured layer semi-transparent. =D

What exactly are you having trouble with? I could be more helpful if I know what you're trying to do.
Currently rewriting Pictures from the start - and it is now called In Carnate.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:55PM
FanGurlZ at 6:19AM, Aug. 29, 2007
(offline)
stabbyfairy
I just use the airbrush tool on a layer under the lineart. It's simple but it works well enough. I use other methods for textures (involving the use of dodge/burn and/or clone stamp) but that's the basic way of doing it.
If you're drawing your lineart by hand and scanning, then you'll need to duplicate the background layer, select all the white areas and delete them first.
You also get an interesting watercolour-ish effect by painting on top of the lineart and making the coloured layer semi-transparent. =D

What exactly are you having trouble with? I could be more helpful if I know what you're trying to do.

I trying to color my lineart so I'll only be able to color inside the lines or at least be able to erase without messing up the lines I drew for my picture.
Homophobia: The irrational fear that gays will break in and re-arrange your furniture against your will.
stabbyfairy at 6:40AM, Aug. 30, 2007
(online)
Ah, you're not using layers.
You just need to go into the ‘layers’ menu (on the image window), click ‘new layer’ and then work on that. You reorder the layers in the layers tab in the toolbox window by just dragging and dropping the layers into order. That way you can colour without it affecting your lineart at all.
Currently rewriting Pictures from the start - and it is now called In Carnate.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:55PM
FanGurlZ at 11:43AM, Aug. 30, 2007
(offline)
stabbyfairy
Ah, you're not using layers.
You just need to go into the ‘layers’ menu (on the image window), click ‘new layer’ and then work on that. You reorder the layers in the layers tab in the toolbox window by just dragging and dropping the layers into order. That way you can colour without it affecting your lineart at all.

I did do that but now it won't even let me color.
Ninja Krow at 1:27PM, Aug. 30, 2007
(offline)
You can turn on and off the Visibilty of a layer by clicking the eye or the far left box next to the layers name.

From time to time , I have accidently turned that off and was like “What the Hell” nothing showed up.

Also in the layer list, you'll wanna make sure the Colour Layer is selected and not any of the other layer you don't want color applied to. I've done that too.

Next make sure you not retaining selection away from the area you want to draw in. you can not effect any part of a layer out side a selection. If that happens you could always or head on up to “Select->None” and kill out any and all selections.

What i usally do when Colouring a scene. I take all the Line art, put it on a upper layer and then make a layer below and for each colour added to the scene another layer below the line art. once all the colures are dropped into scene. set then up to stack right and then merge all visable layers after making sure only the colour layers are visable.

That way, you use you Line art as a Guide but never draw on it any more then you already have.

Layers are great.
~ NINJA OUT!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:17PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved