Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Comic Ideas Hard To Come By?
neolithic_kid at 6:06PM, Sept. 6, 2006
(offline)
I've been thinking about it, and seeing it also with my own eyes. New ideas to start a new comic are becoming harder and harder to come up with. If you try it, then see someone else has it, it discourages you form drawing it in a way. Even my webcomic Bear and Boy bears an incredibly strong resemblance to the webcomic Joe and Monkey (http://www.joeandmonkey.com/) idea-wise, although it could never compare as of the moment. It's one of my all-time favourites now.

But so far, I haven't seen a webcomic about teenage antics in and out of high school. Either this is a great lead I can go on, or I am blinder than Stevie Wonder.

What's your opinion?
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:10PM
BigFishComic at 7:53PM, Sept. 6, 2006
(offline)
teenage antics are rather common in my opinion but if you can put a twist on it, it should be okay.

actually, just make a comic about a lonely, sometimes suicidal candy bar who taught salsa lessons to senior citizens until he found his calling…fighting in the swiss cheese rebellion.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:21AM
Skulldog at 7:57PM, Sept. 6, 2006
(offline)
It's really not that hard. You can take ANY idea that's been done, and just look at it in a different light.

Room mate comics, done to death. Certainly, but I'm sure a new one will come along once in awhile that has some perticularly witty writing, or some twist that's not common.

So your comic and someone else's has a boy and an animal. How can you creep around the same idea? There's no harm in being similar to exisiting comics, you have to be extra clever in finding ways to shout, I'm DIFFERENT.

Or go the opposite, do something that no one does. Everyone and their dog makes comics about gaming humor, or high fantasy with elves. It's easy to fit in with those. Go do something historic, do something film noir, just break from the usual gag a day humor.

It's a lot of work to stand out, but honetly, I like it. The people who work hard to write, and don't just slap a joke on a page ge the attention. Which is how it should be.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:48PM
jetfox at 7:59PM, Sept. 6, 2006
(offline)
yeah ideas are hard to come by so what i do is mix everything together allong with my own ideas. if that sounds bad it's not really that bad i've made a whole story in my head based on that idea and so far i like it.

i say when one idea is boring mix others in and throw in your own twist on it.

once again not as bad and confusing as it sounds.
In the immortal words of Saix “Moon shine down!!!!”
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:07PM
jetfox at 8:03PM, Sept. 6, 2006
(offline)
i agree with skulldog putting a new twist on things can solve a problem.

all my ideas for things are all futuristic because i like thinking of what things will be like then.
In the immortal words of Saix “Moon shine down!!!!”
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:07PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon