Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Comic Panels
PhatScurl at 11:25AM, June 18, 2006
(offline)
When i switched to a more manga style for my comics i realized quickly the importance of panels and the fact that the boxes themselves can display a lot of emotion about what is happening in the panel (or is that just me). Anyway, for those who have a manga style of comic i was wondering how you go about choosing certain panels for the picture. As in introducing a character, fight scenes, casual scenes, and dramatic scenes

Also up till now i've hand drawn my panels even in the inking process. I was wondering how you guy go about placing your drawings in more professional looking boxes.

Yes im a moron
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:43PM
Jenshin at 3:11PM, July 24, 2006
(online)
The more comics I read, the more ideas I get about how to do panels. It really helps sometimes to just pick up some volume and look through it critically.
I keep it a rule never to have a page with only panels with straight lines.
I make thumbnails of my panel layouts first, lots of them to get my idea solid. Then I hand draw them on the page and go over them with solid lines in photoshop.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:07PM
LostPriestess at 10:28PM, Aug. 2, 2006
(offline)
The best advice I can give you is to read a lot of comics. Really look at how they do their pannels. Look and how they do the pascing, notice what you like, and what you don't like in their layouts. That's the best advice I can really offer.

IN addition to that, you remember the elements and principles of design that they teach you in highschool art? Those apply to doing comic layouts too.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:45PM
Radec at 11:53PM, Aug. 2, 2006
(online)
the thing to remember is that a person doesn't read a comic one panel at a time.
In one respect, a comic is indeed like art.
a person's eye takes in the whole page, and even though you are reading it one panel at a time, you are seeing everythign at once.
it helps to affect the mood, emotion, or effect that particular page is trying to give.
<= dead and buried.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:58PM
Terminal at 4:24PM, Aug. 3, 2006
(online)
For casual scenes, I always set them out like this: First Panel, long establishing shot of location characters are in. Second Panel: Shot of something near the characters (be it a glass of water, a clock, etc.) and Third Shot: the view of one of the characters. From there on end, I alternate between either character (if two are present) or the enviroment.

.: Myxomatosis :.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:09PM
Master Loki at 2:51AM, Aug. 19, 2006
(offline)
Aye, I don't draw anime, but I'm pretty sure it is the same thing (generally speaking). For introducing a new character, if it is going to be a main one that you really want to reveal and it isn't at an extremely dramatic moment, a good full shot or a nice head shot or head to shoulder shot would be good to establish the character's features. For dramatic scenes, you'd want to make the most important panel the largest panel, usually I would make it stretch from one side to the other and almost half the page. And fight scnes? I try to have a lot of panels (not overboard though) just a lot and I sometimes use triangle panels to show the fast motion and lots of speed lines of course. Casual… uh, it usually depends, since I try not to have to omany casual moments, generally just box panels, kind of like a dramatic page except without the huge dramatic shot, unless it is just showing the scenery.

Yeah, sorry if you didn't understand, but hope that helped/
=3
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:54PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved