Networking & Community Projects*

Comic Party Issue One Volume One: Now Available!
Walrus at 6:22AM, Dec. 15, 2007
(online)
To order an issue please send me a profile comment with your address. If you would like a subsription: COMPLETELY FREE LIKE EVERY ISSUE OF COMIC PARTY IS, please specify in the comment if you want a year or two years of Comic Party.
The following comics are featured in issue one of Comic Party:
That Random Paint Comic
Dreams of 1337ness
Positive
For extra information concerning subscriptions, submitting comics, ect., please read the following and specify if you would like to submit a comic in the next issue of Comic Party!

To submit any questions or comments please Private Quack Walrus on www.Drunkduck.com. I would like to thank those of you who will participate in the making of the this magazine. To submit your comics please Private Quack Walrus on www.Drunkduck.com.
Submitting Rules
To submit a comic or article it must be made by you and be original, do not send in fan comics or comics or copy an article off the internet. If you do I will automatically delete your message. If something in this magazine is published and is not by you and I am sent a letter saying I violated copyright violations I will give them your address and tell them that you were the one who sent me the article/comic and I did not know something like that existed. The minimum for a comic is one page, the maximum being thirty pages. The minimum for an article is one hundred words, the maximum is one thousand. Anything higher than five hundred words isn�t as likely to be posted in this magazine.
Subscription Offers
To subscribe to this comic magazine just merely Private Quack me how long you would like to receive this comic. You can choose from a one year subscription or a tow year. I will also need your address too. The subscriptions are completely free and I will not bill you. The address you will see on the envelope is either fake or there isn�t one, I do not want anyone knowing where I live, neither do I want them to send me death threats or anything of that matter. Please follow the rules and I will allow you to be featured in my comic.
Other
You do not have to send me monthly submissions of your comic or article. You may post them monthly however if you feel like it. ~Walrus
Now, got any questions?

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:45PM
Jules at 11:56AM, Dec. 15, 2007
(online)
Add me as a friend so I can tell you my address.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:11PM
Pulse at 1:33PM, Dec. 15, 2007
(online)
wait a second how long will it take for you to send me the magazine?
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:56PM
Walrus at 2:54PM, Dec. 15, 2007
(online)
Pulse
wait a second how long will it take for you to send me the magazine?

eh, around one week at the least, if you're lucky, eight weeks at the most.
MrBlubBlub at 3:16PM, Dec. 15, 2007
(offline)
Hey, could you add me in a future issue. I'd like you to put in MrBlubBlub and MrLizard and Uncle Snake, once it gets to at least ten pages. Okay?
Screw you! I don't need a signature! Oh wait…
since im here, check out my comics.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:07PM
Pulse at 8:05PM, Dec. 15, 2007
(online)
how did you even make this magazine?
krisikas at 5:24AM, Dec. 16, 2007
(offline)
save the trees walrus, why to print comics who are allready online…I mean, mostly of other guy's magazine is new stuff, and I can understand his idea, but wtf is this?You just copy comics who are allready online and print them.Who (apart creators) need this?
And Im pretty sure you just printed all the comics with your normal printer, so why to wait 8 weeks?I can print all of those comics right now :DDD
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:22PM
Jules at 6:55AM, Dec. 16, 2007
(online)
krisikas
save the trees walrus, why to print comics who are allready online…I mean, mostly of other guy's magazine is new stuff, and I can understand his idea, but wtf is this?You just copy comics who are allready online and print them.Who (apart creators) need this?
And Im pretty sure you just printed all the comics with your normal printer, so why to wait 8 weeks?I can print all of those comics right now :DDD

He sorta has a point Walrus. Why not just post the magazine online as a comic here on DrunkDuck or bundle it on your own website (or even another website). I think it would be a lot easier if it was done like that.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:11PM
Pulse at 9:01AM, Dec. 16, 2007
(online)
those two guys above me have a point. Just post the magazine on this site also if you are gonna print this magazine you shouldn't be asking for money because you may run into copyright issues. I would advise you to post the magazine here so you don't run into any problems.
Walrus at 12:40PM, Dec. 17, 2007
(online)
Pulse
those two guys above me have a point. Just post the magazine on this site also if you are gonna print this magazine you shouldn't be asking for money because you may run into copyright issues. I would advise you to post the magazine here so you don't run into any problems.

I'm not asking for money. But I will post the magazine on http://www.freewebs.com/drunkpokemon if it will please you tree huggers…
Pulse at 1:08PM, Dec. 17, 2007
(online)
lol well I am not much of a tree hugger but the thing is I'm not sure if the printed pages would even look good..due to the fact that you are using a regular printer.
well If you could please still send me the printed copy please! I sent you my adress in a PQ
Walrus at 3:26PM, Dec. 17, 2007
(online)
Pulse
lol well I am not much of a tree hugger but the thing is I'm not sure if the printed pages would even look good..due to the fact that you are using a regular printer.
well If you could please still send me the printed copy please! I sent you my adress in a PQ

well I didn't get the PQ and you shouldn't have been able to send it to me since I'm 12 years old.
Pulse at 7:22PM, Dec. 17, 2007
(online)
Im not sure if it is safe for me to post my adress on a forum lol
Aussie_kid at 11:31PM, Dec. 17, 2007
(online)
Walrus
well I didn't get the PQ and you shouldn't have been able to send it to me since I'm 12 years old.

Oh, so if you select the ‘under 13’ you can't get PQs? That looks to me like it'll be a problem, as you said to everyone to PQ you to submit their stuff.

Also, no offence, but it looks like you aren't thinking this through too well. As I see it, you stand to lose money with every single issue you send. It's not much at first, but the cost of an ink cartridge, paper, an envelope and a stamp seem like they're going to add up. And then what about the international readers?

I'm not saying this stuff to make you give up so Fowl Play will be the only magazine. Hell, I love the fact you thought I had an awesome idea and wanted to do it as well. But let's take a look at the numbers.

Let's say, for this example, both Comic Party and Fowl Play get an order for 1200 comics for one issue. They both have 100 pages, have 25 contributors who have all given in equal value work and all the buyers of the issues are in the same country as the publishing station, so we don't have to alter the numbers with taxes and shipping costs.

First, I'll calculate Fowl Play. I publish through Lulu, so I don't have to put up any money upfront. By its calculator, a 100 page issue would cost the readers $7 US. Now, let's do that sum. $7 times 1200 issues equals $8400. Now, each issue costs $6.53 to make, which means we have to take $7836 away from the total. This leaves us with $564. As an agreement to my contributors, I give them 60% of the total profit, while the rest is given to the staff. As the only person on staff, I receive $225.60 for the issues. Meanwhile, we divide the rest evenly among the 25 contributors. In the end, they each get $13.55 for their services and free advertising. Doesn't sound like much, but let's see the numbers a year later, if we kept monthly. I make $2707.20 and my contributors get $162.60, assuming they're the same every month.

Now, as for Comic Party. I don't know where you live, so I'll just go by prices by Australian dollars. It's about 50 cents for a stamp, $3 for a pack of 100 envelopes and $6 for a pack of 1500 sheets of paper. I'll leave the cartridges out because it's impossible to know how much ink each page will require. First off, you need to print off 120000 pages, which means you need to buy 80 packs of paper. This will cost you $480. Next, you need to buy twelve packs of envelopes, a further $36. and last but not least, 1200 stamps, roughly $600. Add them together, and you stand to lose $1116 in one month. And it seems you're doing this monthly, so that's $13392 it will cost you per year, not including international shipping or the ink cartridges.

I'd advise you to at least try and charge enough so that you break even if you're going to print. Also, I was in the comic shop today and found a TokyoPop manga novel called ‘Comic Party’ so you might want to check if it's trademarked or not. If it is, I'd strongly advise you change your magazine's title.

Oh, and if anyone reading this is interested in Fowl Play, but wants to remain loyal to Walrus, don't worry. When you send me something, I send you a form to sign, saying that you're just allowing me to use your work for that issue of the magazine, but it's still your property and I have no right over it. This means you can have the same thing in both magazines.

But, back to the issue. I think you have something good here Walrus, you just need to manage yourself a little better. Hope everything goes well for you and this project
Insanity Complex: We may not be insane, but we like to think we are
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:11AM
krisikas at 7:00AM, Dec. 18, 2007
(offline)
you lost me with “ill calculate” XDDDD lol peace
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:22PM
VegaX at 10:52AM, Dec. 18, 2007
(offline)
Sending your address to a 12year old kid that then prints out some low-res pics on his dads printer and sends them to you in the mail is NOT a good idea.

so yeah, post the magazine online. Much better idea.

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:39PM
Walrus at 12:59PM, Dec. 18, 2007
(online)
VegaX
Sending your address to a 12year old kid that then prints out some low-res pics on his dads printer and sends them to you in the mail is NOT a good idea.

so yeah, post the magazine online. Much better idea.

how do you know if it's my dad's printer? Okay, yeah it is… And I'm changing the magazine name since I just found out that there is a TokyoPop called that.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon