Debate and Discussion

Comic Reviewing
Anything But Life at 12:52AM, Nov. 11, 2007
(online)
To be honest, I quite really, REALLY dislike how you get your comic reviewed, ALOT. First of, I suck stinkballs at writing reviews, epecially 4 paragraphs, heck one. Gah I wish we can just submit it it, but have it be reviewed last of all the other ones or something, or wait like a few days for it to be reviewed. Oh and I would like the comic page requirement to like, 1.

Haha jk, 10 pages instead of 20.

On an unrelated note, It'd be cool if we could edit the topic titles, coz i want my comic to be critiqued now, but i created the topic without it. I don't want to bump or create another one (and delete the old one) since I would break the rules. I'll probably go read it again just to be sure.
Phuck'D Comics
I am not lazy, I just lack motivation.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:54AM
Hawk at 1:49AM, Nov. 11, 2007
(online)
I wanted to move this over to the Comic Review section, but I noticed they run a pretty tight ship there and would consider this one a stray.

If anyone wants to debate the methods of DD's Comic Review system, go ahead. But if there's a more appropriate place, tell me and I'll move it. Or lock it, if there's no reason for this.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
Anything But Life at 1:51AM, Nov. 11, 2007
(online)
well, I thought this seemed like a place for it, apparanelty i was wrong? Anyways, just wanted to get thisff my mind.
Phuck'D Comics
mlai at 6:12AM, Nov. 11, 2007
(online)
Anything But Life
To be honest, I quite really, REALLY dislike how you get your comic reviewed, ALOT. First of, I suck stinkballs at writing reviews, epecially 4 paragraphs, heck one. Oh and I would like the comic page requirement to like, 1.
Haha jk, 10 pages instead of 20.
So… you want to be able to be reviewed without doing any work in return. And you don't want to display the commitment of having an adequate number of pages before being reviewed. And what would be reviewed anyways, when you have only few pages?

Gah I wish we can just submit it it, but have it be reviewed last of all the other ones or something, or wait like a few days for it to be reviewed.
Wait a few days? Have you looked at the waiting list?

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
DAJB at 7:27AM, Nov. 11, 2007
(online)
I guess the current review system is pretty cumbersome and it probably could do with being streamlined/speeded up. But then that's only for “official” reviews.

Anyone who wants a quicker turnaround, can always post in the HELWID section and mark their entry . Okay, so that's not a perfect system either (my HELWID post was ignored completely :( ) but it is there as an alternative.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM
Poke Alster at 9:35AM, Nov. 11, 2007
(offline)
i personally think its fine the way it is, however they is soo many comic needed reviewing its impossible to do them all they should have folders such as “pokemon” “mario” “anime” "manga etc.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:46PM
Anything But Life at 12:14PM, Nov. 11, 2007
(online)
Well, I don't mind doing the work, but it's just i can't do two reviews with more than a paragraph. I can do one with two or more paragraphs, but it'd take days for me trying to get it perfect and not sound like i was writing it just to get my comic reviewed, probably longer also with having to write essays for college english classes and stuff. I actually don't mind the 20 page thing anymore, it's just it's gonna take a while to get 20.
Phuck'D Comics
Poke Alster at 12:29PM, Nov. 11, 2007
(offline)
yep it does get tiring that
Anything But Life at 12:35PM, Nov. 11, 2007
(online)
Well, I can write more than a paragraph, that is if i find the topic interesting. But reviewing is kinda hard for me, since the reviewed comic has to be really interesting enoguh for me to fave it. Games is a bit easier for me, but comics a bit harder. How about i submit a review for a game instead? :P :kitty:
Phuck'D Comics
Poke Alster at 12:39PM, Nov. 11, 2007
(offline)
that could work. . . but its a comic site so, yeh
TheMidge28 at 1:37PM, Nov. 11, 2007
(online)
Hawk, this may be better discussed in Comic Discussion (Print & Web!).
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:22PM
Poke Alster at 1:56PM, Nov. 11, 2007
(offline)
kind of about discussion though and debating
Aurora Moon at 3:41PM, Nov. 11, 2007
(offline)
I have to agree with maili on this one. It's easy for even a lazy ass to get up to 10 pages if he/she put in a little bit of an effort. but it's hard to get it up to a even 20. Unless you're an sprite comic or have some unholy powers that allows you to make comics and update it quickly on a regular basis.

So 20 pages is an fair way to judge whenever a person could be decidated to his/her comic or not.

At least it isn't like 30 pages or something. I vaugely remember once a long time ago it was much longer than 20 pages that you had to put in before you even could qualify for an review, but I could be wrong.

So conidser yourself lucky it's only 20 pages.
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:10AM
Anything But Life at 3:53PM, Nov. 11, 2007
(online)
Yeah, like i said, i don't mind the 20 pages anymore. All i need is two weeks to get 20 pages, a 6 or so days for the two reviews and i can submit!
It'd be cool if i could submit a agme review lol :P
Phuck'D Comics
TitanOne at 1:56AM, Nov. 12, 2007
(offline)
Aurora Moon
I have to agree with maili on this one. It's easy for even a lazy ass to get up to 10 pages if he/she put in a little bit of an effort. but it's hard to get it up to a even 20. Unless you're an sprite comic or have some unholy powers that allows you to make comics and update it quickly on a regular basis.

20 pages is an arbitrary number with no inherent quality control, too…in my comic, I'm working very hard to make sure every single panel advances the story the way it would in a print comic book. It's slow going, but I'm taking my time.

Many webcomics with a large established numerical number of pages/strips are heavily stuffed with filler…quickie pinups of story characters, fan art, redundant “chapter cover” pages that are little more than a logo..etc. Most of this occurs after page 20–but I've often wondered if we should reconsider what is and isn't a comic “page”.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:30PM
Pixie at 3:07AM, Nov. 12, 2007
(online)
TitanOne
Aurora Moon

20 pages is an arbitrary number with no inherent quality control, too…in my comic, I'm working very hard to make sure every single panel advances the story the way it would in a print comic book. It's slow going, but I'm taking my time.

Many webcomics with a large established numerical number of pages/strips are heavily stuffed with filler…quickie pinups of story characters, fan art, redundant “chapter cover” pages that are little more than a logo..etc. Most of this occurs after page 20–but I've often wondered if we should reconsider what is and isn't a comic “page”.

While I agree with you in terms of pinups and other filler - especially sketches, things labelled as filler just to keep the comic “alive” - this is a waste of space and shouldn't really be done. Don't update if you've got nothing to update with.

However, I don't think every single panel should advance the story necessarily - that depends how space-efficient you're being. It's worth nothing that while Western style comics tend to cram everything in - a complete story in 25 pages, not one ounce of space wasting and no panel without purpose… many manga will spend several pages setting the scene, creating atmosphere, without moving the story onwards at all, primarily because a manga book can number up to a hundred pages and therefore has more room for things like panels of falling petals. Manga is far less space-efficient, but makes better use of negative space and is, arguably, better paced as a result. Spreading action very deliberately out over a number of pages in order to indicate a slowness of pace, and a relaxed-ness of attitude, may result in a number of pages that other artists may consider “filler” or redundant, without them actually be so. :)

Depends on how you look at it, I guess. Comics are notoriously complicated beasties!

And, err… it's worth noting I consider the above to be a technique anyone who makes comics can use, not a conceit exclusive to manga. I hate to pigeonhole things, and think we can all learn stuff from different styles of working - and from different genres and media entirely. ^^
Alaka-bwee-oop! Old school.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:45PM
DAJB at 4:18AM, Nov. 12, 2007
(online)
Pixie
I don't think every single panel should advance the story necessarily
I agree but I do think that every panel should add something. It may be plot development, it may be character revelation or, as you say, it may be atmosphere building. Whatever it is, it should be there for a reason.

Pixie
It's worth nothing that while Western style comics tend to cram everything in - a complete story in 25 pages, not one ounce of space wasting and no panel without purpose… many manga will spend several pages setting the scene, creating atmosphere, without moving the story onwards at all, primarily because a manga book can number up to a hundred pages and therefore has more room for things like panels of falling petals.
This is something of a generalisation. 100-page manga books often have only one or two panels per page. Western mainstream comics typically have five or six. The difference in the number of overall “comparable pages” is therefore much less than it first appears.

If manga artists do spend more space building atmosphere, I suspect it has more to do with subject matter and reader expectations. In a Western mainstream (i.e. superhero) comic, the reader expects the majority of the pages to be filled with good guys beating up bad guys. Devoting two pages to a falling leaf would see sales plummet. In non-mainstream Western comics, artists are far more likely to spend time building actual or emotional atmosphere.

Pixie
Depends on how you look at it, I guess. Comics are notoriously complicated beasties!
They most certainly are!
;)

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM
Pixie at 4:53AM, Nov. 12, 2007
(online)
DAJB
This is something of a generalisation. 100-page manga books often have only one or two panels per page. Western mainstream comics typically have five or six. The difference in the number of overall “comparable pages” is therefore much less than it first appears.

If manga artists do spend more space building atmosphere, I suspect it has more to do with subject matter and reader expectations. In a Western mainstream (i.e. superhero) comic, the reader expects the majority of the pages to be filled with good guys beating up bad guys. Devoting two pages to a falling leaf would see sales plummet. In non-mainstream Western comics, artists are far more likely to spend time building actual or emotional atmosphere.

Naturally, I'm generalising by referring to the mainstream, rather than “all western comics” or “all eastern comics”… even by only referring to the mainstream I'm generalising horribly, because every comic writer has his own way of telling stories, just as every author does. *shrug* The differences are, however, noticable, I believe.

As for the number of “comparable pages”, I have seen comments on people's comic pages in the past telling them to stop wasting space (essentially), and that their comic contains filler pages when the pages might have been condensed. What I'm referring to here is the technique of spreading a scene out over a number of pages, versus condensing it into as few as possible. Of course, everything you do ought to have a purpose, but that doesn't mean it has to be a really important one, and if I only want to put two panels on an otherwise blank page for pacing and negative space reasons, I think I should be allowed to without having my pages labelled “filler”, or “incomplete” - as if by condensing four pages of two-panels into one page of eight it'd have the same effect! I don't believe it does… and I think if the artist has a really good reason for spreading out like this - pacing, particularly - then it shouldn't be poo-pooed by people more accustomed to condensing.

However, if an artist is pacing their comic very slowly over a number of pages, they need to be aware of how the audience is going to react to this, especially in an online comic. In print, it works better because the reader can flick through at their own pace - but the online reader has to wait until the author uploads the next one, and this can get boring QUICKLY! XD

As for audience expectations - well, I prefer not to label my comics as “western” or “manga” style, and take influences from both. Probably, people would class my work as more western than manga (I don't draw big eyes or tiny noses!) but in my layout, themes and ideas I take as much (if not more) from manga as I do from western comics. Manga isn't all about the drawing style, after all! :)

And I think it's rather sad to restrict the way you work according to your audience's expectations! You do what you love most better than that which you expect to be popular, anyway. And without love, your comic has nothing, really. Popularity is not a good reason to make a comic, especially online where “sales” and profits don't really exist.

When we all get printed and famous (of course!) I bet we'll have to be more careful! Or we won't get our work published at all! But even then there's still hope for us, and still a strong argument to keep being strange and original and experimental with our comics… Ashley Wood, Neil Gaiman, and others have all succeeded. :)

(BLAH LONG, BADLY-ORGANISED RAMBLING. SORRY!)
Alaka-bwee-oop! Old school.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:45PM
SpANG at 11:19AM, Nov. 12, 2007
(online)
TitanOne
Aurora Moon

The 20 page adherence is more or less so that the reviewer knows what your story is about before he can review it. Your story, for instance. I's very well drawn, and the dialogue is very nice too. But I haven't seen any character development yet, or even the protagonist's goal, so I'd be hesitant to write about the story. Would you really want someone to review your comic before these things were established?

True, some people may have 20 pages of filler, but they'll just get a bad review for the story then.

I have the same problem with choosing Featured comics. People all like “About frigggin time you got featured!!!” and all that. But what would you have us do? Feature a comic without a story because it's pretty?

The whole idea behind the comic review is to make better comic artists of us all. Same can be said for the “friends” that you have review your comic with glowing endorsements. If you side-step any rules or adhere to them in letter, but not spirit, the only one that's suffering is you.

That said, being a CRITIC also makes you a better comic artist too. You can start noticing the way people do things and learn from them. The comic review forum is not looking for a book, they just want an honest opinion of your thoughts and perceptions of the comic. That's all.
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:52PM
Poke Alster at 12:51PM, Nov. 12, 2007
(offline)
true, as you give feedback, people give feedback to you
kyupol at 6:20PM, Nov. 12, 2007
(offline)
Here's what I think is fair:

Comic to be reviewed - at least 50 pages. Why?

- That way I can get a better idea on what its about. Anything under that can only lead to assumptions and inaccuracies. You never know what kind of plot setup is happening in the author's mind.

- Also it is a way to help reduce the clutter. The more number of pages a comic has, the fewer of its kind.

But personally I'd let my comic be reviewed if its a finished one. I havent signed up in the list cuz God knows how long will it take for MAG-ISA's completion. And as of this point I dont think I'd be getting a fair review since its under 50 pages and nothing really spectacular has happened yet. :(

The review itself - Must be 2 paragraphs at least.

- Reviewers have lives too. It takes TIME to sit there and read through that comic. What more about TYPING OUT paragraphs.

- For short opinions this can be helpful. What if someone wants to give a bad review of a comic they dont wanna go through all that pile of pages because its JUST HORRIBLE. Like… same thing like sitting through a movie or video that you just think sucks so bad that you turn it off or walk out after the first 30 minutes. 2 paragraphs will be enough to voice out your annoyances on why you just couldnt sit through that comic. Like so and so character is annoying blablabla and he/she didnt get killed off in the first 50 pages or something. lol!

- 4 paragraphs is too much. It will discourage other people from giving reviews.

On Giving and Receiving Reviews

- 2 is fine.

So… you want to be able to be reviewed without doing any work in return?

Right on. :)

NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:25PM
Broken Minds at 7:44AM, Nov. 13, 2007
(online)
Eh, I think it's just fine where it's at. The focus is the input recieved. The reason the paragraph count is so high *My assumption here obviously* Is so that the creators can get enough of the reviewers opinion and not a simple

“it sucks”

It really just depends on who's reveiwing and why. Is it because their just doing the bare minimum to get their own stuff reviewed? Or is it because they genuinely want to help out?
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:35AM
ShadowDion at 12:21AM, Nov. 14, 2007
(offline)
i agree with kyupol a lot, but not on all points:

kyupol
Here's what I think is fair:

Comic to be reviewed - at least 50 pages. Why?

- That way I can get a better idea on what its about. Anything under that can only lead to assumptions and inaccuracies. You never know what kind of plot setup is happening in the author's mind.

- Also it is a way to help reduce the clutter. The more number of pages a comic has, the fewer of its kind.

But personally I'd let my comic be reviewed if its a finished one. I havent signed up in the list cuz God knows how long will it take for MAG-ISA's completion. And as of this point I dont think I'd be getting a fair review since its under 50 pages and nothing really spectacular has happened yet. :(

i agree that 50 is a good solid number, granted as far as actuall comic books go that would be about two issues, which for comic books wouldn't be enough to develop a character, chances are with a webcomic you are going to have a character developed. and if you don't… well maybe you should work on that.
however i disagree over having comics reviewed after they're finished. if this happened then there would be no way to improve later strips from that completed comic thus rendering a large part of the review, the critique for area's needing improvement, useless.
but i think 50 shows real dedication, that, even if 10 of them are filler, you have to still do a large amount of work for that.

kyupol
The review itself - Must be 2 paragraphs at least.

- Reviewers have lives too. It takes TIME to sit there and read through that comic. What more about TYPING OUT paragraphs.

- For short opinions this can be helpful. What if someone wants to give a bad review of a comic they dont wanna go through all that pile of pages because its JUST HORRIBLE. Like… same thing like sitting through a movie or video that you just think sucks so bad that you turn it off or walk out after the first 30 minutes. 2 paragraphs will be enough to voice out your annoyances on why you just couldnt sit through that comic. Like so and so character is annoying blablabla and he/she didnt get killed off in the first 50 pages or something. lol!

- 4 paragraphs is too much. It will discourage other people from giving reviews.

i think reviews should remain at 4, if not longer. this is true, that i think the idea of reading a signifigant portion of the webcomic and then also forcing one to write a review again shows dedication to the creator on just how important getting reviewed is. i wouldn't want my comic reviewed by some half-assed bum that just want to get kudos for his comic. what i would want is someone trying just as hard as i am, reading what i have made and giving me solid feedback. i think in two paragraphs i could B.S. a lot to fill those after reading only three comics, one paragraph for writing, one for art. four forces the reviewer to give a greater in depth response and expanding beyond the minimum.
so if four paragraphs does discourage some reviewers, well then i don't honestly want them reviewing my comic. i do agree that i have read some comics that i couldn't stomache and refused to go on reading more, my solution is simply don't review that comic. there are a lot of comics waiting and you just might find one you enjoy and will want to help out with a review.

kyupol
On Giving and Receiving Reviews

- 2 is fine.

i'm pretty okay with two as well. again, this forces the reviewer to show dedication. true, part of me would like to say: ‘well i think 1 is fine’, but if everyone only had to review 1 comic to have there's reviewed, it would be an even slower process.
overall i don't have a total problem with how comics are reviewed here, though maybe there should be more a formula to the the review such as,
Art:
Paragraph One: Characters
Pro's, Improvement
Paragpraph Two: Other visual elements (backgrounds, typography, etc)
Pro's, Improvement
Writing:
Paragraph Three: Characters
Pro's, Improvement
Paragraph Four: Jokes, Story
Pro's, Improvement

for those that need a solid base and are unsure of how to review, come up with four paragraphs of reviewing.
just my thoughts.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:32PM
mlai at 6:08AM, Nov. 14, 2007
(online)
I agree that reviews should be for 50 page comics, consist of at least 4 paragraphs, be clear of typos and grammatical errors, and follow a strict format.

This will clear up a lot of the clutter. And show dedication on both sides.

Nobody waits months-years to have his/her comics reviewed only to have a half-assed newbie give a POS review. That's an insult.

***POS review = CBA'ed to type. Not whether it's positive/negative.

Broken Minds at 9:11AM, Nov. 14, 2007
(online)
If someone wanted to wait until 50 then I think that should be there own peragative and not an actual limitation.

The reason I say that is you never know just how long a comic might be and if someone is forced to wait until 50, they may already be 3/4'ths of the way done and by that point any constructive input maybe too late.

Perhaps if there was a review commitee made, which wouldn't really hold any actual position, but it would be a group of volunteers who critique books consistantly. This way you avoid some of the less interested people just wanting their stuff judged.

I'm sure an idea like this has probably already been thrown around though, so I'm probably just barking up old tree's.

But I think that might help solve the issue a little better.

Not to say I don't get why things are the way they are right now. I'm just trying to think of solutions for everybody ^.^;;
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:35AM
kyupol at 3:40PM, Nov. 14, 2007
(offline)
Art:

Paragraph One: CharactersPro's, Improvement

Paragpraph Two: Other visual elements (backgrounds, typography, etc)
Pro's, Improvement

Writing:

Paragraph Three: Characters
Pro's, Improvement

Paragraph Four: Jokes, Story
Pro's, Improvement

Overall Rating: x/5 (BRUTALLY HONEST OPINION)

This sounds like a reasonable template. The text in RED is added by me.

Somebody post this in the comic review section… or come up with a sort of template that can improve this.
NOW UPDATING!!!
marine at 4:25AM, Nov. 15, 2007
(offline)
Heres a review for you:

Your comics and everyone else's are unprofessional and not economically viable. After all they are posted for free on the internet. Hows that for a review?

Jokes aside, and that was a joke for those of you with ultra sensitive feelings, the current review system is better than people just signing up all willy nilly.

If anyone wants a comic thats easy to review, just review penis. Other people got away with basically saying I'm a terrible subhuman monster with no artistic, creative, or writing talent. Interestingly, I was nominated for a best humor and best writing award. People seem to read my comics and are vocal about liking or disliking them. My type of unfunny, anti-humor can be a bit much for people that don't understand comedy or have never read or written a web comic before can understand.

Thats why I'd almost bet money that werewolf gets better reviews. Simply because its not penis. It might get some harsh reviews because I'm still me and it is still done in penis style, but ultimately its just more appealing to a audience than the wonderful mess that penis can be.

I like the two reviews, 20 pages system. Most of you won't be here in a year. Some of you it takes less time. A lot of you post filler or whine about how your having writers/artistic block. I've managed to keep at it for the last few years (more or less) and I've seen a lot of people come and go. A lot of people that liked my work, and a lot more that didn't. Its just the nature of the internet for people to hate things.

So with that said, if you want to say mean things about my comics, by all means do so. I'd like to see how professional you are when people call you names and say you're untalented.

Thats not to say we should all be patting each other on the back and having a full of ourselves festival. Some of us aren't on the same level as others professionally. Some of us do sprite comics or simply can't draw very well at all. We don't know how to letter or we're just stupid. Doesn't matter what excuses we have, we just ain't all on the same level. So to review and critique each others work we have to do so with that in mind and take each others comments with a grain of salt. You can't look at a guy who does a stick figure comic in MS paint on a once a week basis the same way you look at someone who does something that looks like Purgatory Tower or Star Crossed Destiny, it just doesn't work. You can't compare something thats brilliantly written to stuff thats horribly drawn. Apples and oranges. Levels of experience, talent, and techniuqe should always factor in. A persons age should also factor into a review. If a guys fifteen doing a sprite comic, its not so bad. If a guys thirty doing a sprite comic in paint with nothing but errors, you've gotta be a little harsher. I think you should also take in a persons readership and authors notes into the way you review their works. I know in my review people mentioned penis's fanbase and the way I like to drone on and on about nothing, but in a compelling and entertaining way, much like I've done here.

I don't like doing reviews. I don't like reading web comics that thoroughly. I will generally check out a few pages to look for consistent quality of the art and writing and look for extra content. The tone of a persons authors notes and the way they've spoken with me will put a spin on what I'm going to say about someones work. I don't think I'll ever be able to say nice things about some people. Others I'm incapable of saying a negative thing about. I don't like to say mean things or give people a low score, unless I've a good reason to. The most some of us can hope for is to be on about the average level. Ultimately, getting reviewed or reviewing someone elses comic is just another way of shameless self promotion. Tempted as I am to put a link to penis here, I won't. You can click my avatar to find or in my signature if you want to read it, which you probably do if you've read all this.

In closing, everyones comic does suck in somebodies point of view. They just are not economically viable or professionally done. Thats the major thing you've got to get over when looking at someone else's comic here. It can be argued that some people ARE doing professional comics and selling them from here, which instantly kills that previous argument cold and brings up new ones. Most of those people aren't on drunk duck or asking for reviews or being a part of the community. I know I certainly feel weird being on a website with stuff like that. If they're going to be professional, their comics should be written a lot better than they are, and I've seen some bad anatomy, unoriginal stuff, and those really awful professional web designs that people think look cool. Not quite as bad as those movies with flash websites, but pretty close that level of tackyness. More like a stand up comic or actors website that contains no real content, just superficial information delivered in a cold and unwelcoming manner. I just have to look at these professional comics with an even harsher view than I do the dime a dozen manga or sprite comics. If they've got the financial means, professional credentials, and a staff working on something, they should be doing a lot better than what I've seen. At least thats my critical analysis of them. I won't name names unless I'm asked to by their creators. From now on I've a new policy on reviews, I'll wait for a person to ask me to review their comic. If someone wants my opinion ask it. If you want it made public in a review amongst everybody else, I'll do that. If you want it in a private e-mail, thats fine by me. More than anything I feel like I should be a part of the group here. So even if you've never read a single thing I've written, hate my guts, hate my comics, or just love me, I'm around to talk to.

Sadly no one will ever read all that. Those that did, I'm sorry.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:53PM
mlai at 5:32AM, Nov. 15, 2007
(online)
That would be much more welcome than all your non-comments on other ppl's comics in the “Did You Update Today?” self-promo thread.

Knuckles at 6:41AM, Nov. 15, 2007
(offline)
A comic review committee sounds like a good idea. Maybe have 1-2 people per genre of comic story/strip.

Myth Xaran (manga) - http://www.drunkduck.com/Myth_Xaran
Exodus Studios (Games & More) - http://www.exodus-studio.com
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:19PM
kyupol at 7:07AM, Nov. 15, 2007
(offline)
I disagree a little on “comic review committees”.

I'm not too much speaking for myself but for the others… that I've seen who cannot take criticism well enough.

As these committees might just have biased opinions and will not really gauge the ability of a certain comic.

Just like movie reviews don't exactly tell how good or how bad a movie is. Because most of these so-called movie critics just take delight in saying every movie sucks ass or something. :) So thats why before watching a movie and checking yahoo reviews, I pay more attention to the user reviews because based on experience, those user reviews give a better picture if a movie sux or not.

Because it is the opinion of the majority that matters.

Though… if it is the final decision to put up comic review committees, go ahead. I won't really have much of a problem with that because I can take criticism (constructive… not the ‘fuck you and die’ kind of type) of my stuff fairly good.

In closing, everyones comic does suck in somebodies point of view.

Marine said it. As there are still comics that I don't like even though their art I'd say is at least 5 levels higher than my level… because it bored me or I simply dont like the subject matter or art style or whatever thing it may have.
NOW UPDATING!!!

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved