Debate and Discussion

Comic Reviewing
mlai at 7:33AM, Nov. 15, 2007
(online)
Old pre-crash-crash DD had a review committee that went along with the Featured Comics section. Every featured comic had a full page review consisting of several different reviewers. There are no truly negative reviews, because the fact that you're not the one chosen for review/feature says all that needed to be said.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
Knuckles at 7:54AM, Nov. 15, 2007
(offline)
Well the thing is, everyone wants their comic and hard work recognized and noticed. So the best way to get that needed attention is to have a comic reviewed. But with so much backlog of comics that need to be reviewed in the forums, this has made it impossible. The only suitable solution would be to have a review committee that does nothing but that. Each person(s) would have their specific genre of comic they would be responsible for and giving a review of it in a timely manner. It would certainly speed up the process of so many people who have been waiting for months to have their comic reviewed at least once.
WHen choosing the committee, they need to be reliable people who will show no bias or favoritism toward a particular artist or comic.

Myth Xaran (manga) - http://www.drunkduck.com/Myth_Xaran
Exodus Studios (Games & More) - http://www.exodus-studio.com
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:19PM
Broken Minds at 8:29AM, Nov. 15, 2007
(online)
I can see what Kyupol is saying but he's comparing apples to oranges.

None of us are truely considered professional in the sense that our reviews would be bland or drab. Otherwise the current method wouldn't be the way it is.

I think a group of volunteers who would spend their time reviewing would work quite well since your still getting the voice of the community, but it would be prompt and quick.

And as long as theirs a specific amount at any given time it shouldn't pose too much of an issue. There could even be sign ups for it if theres a concern about hand selection for it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:35AM
Broken Minds at 8:30AM, Nov. 15, 2007
(online)
Hmm…bland and drab isn't quite what I meant to say. More so….smarmy? or snobbish in the sense that we're so sure of whats good and whats not.
SpANG at 1:24PM, Nov. 15, 2007
(online)
mlai
Old pre-crash-crash DD had a review committee that went along with the Featured Comics section. Every featured comic had a full page review consisting of several different reviewers. There are no truly negative reviews, because the fact that you're not the one chosen for review/feature says all that needed to be said.
And one comic was done once every month, if we were lucky to get to it.

Knuckles
Well the thing is, everyone wants their comic and hard work recognized and noticed. So the best way to get that needed attention is to have a comic reviewed. But with so much backlog of comics that need to be reviewed in the forums, this has made it impossible. The only suitable solution would be to have a review committee that does nothing but that. Each person(s) would have their specific genre of comic they would be responsible for and giving a review of it in a timely manner. It would certainly speed up the process of so many people who have been waiting for months to have their comic reviewed at least once.
WHen choosing the committee, they need to be reliable people who will show no bias or favoritism toward a particular artist or comic.
(sorry, I removed the blue/italics because I find it annoyingly hard to read.)

That's a great idea, but there's no way this could be organized or people would stick to a schedule. It's hard enough for Admins to stick to a schedule of featuring comics with just a small blurb. You can go ahead and organize a reviewer group if you want, but I guarantee that it will just get backlogged/neglected too. It's just next to impossible to get projects like that off the ground around here (see “The Quack” ).

The reason that the rules were put into place for a person needing to review at least 2 comics was to alleviate the fact that comis weren't getting reviewed. I suppose we coudl ask VegaX (Vega's in charge now, Eggbert quit) if he wants to post more reviews more often, but that's up to him.
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:53PM
Priest_Revan at 2:21PM, Nov. 15, 2007
(offline)
SpANG
mlai
And one comic was done once every month, if we were lucky to get to it.

Knuckles
(sorry, I removed the blue/italics because I find it annoyingly hard to read.)

That's a great idea, but there's no way this could be organized or people would stick to a schedule. It's hard enough for Admins to stick to a schedule of featuring comics with just a small blurb. You can go ahead and organize a reviewer group if you want, but I guarantee that it will just get backlogged/neglected too. It's just next to impossible to get projects like that off the ground around here (see “The Quack” ).

The reason that the rules were put into place for a person needing to review at least 2 comics was to alleviate the fact that comis weren't getting reviewed. I suppose we coudl ask VegaX (Vega's in charge now, Eggbert quit) if he wants to post more reviews more often, but that's up to him.

Well Spang, the thing is that you admins and moderators seem too busy to keep to a schedule of featuring and reviewing comics.

I think this idea would work if you got like… 10 regular people from the forums (who are good at giving reviews by the way) to just review comics and keep it on a simple schedule. Maybe 2 or 3 times a week in a certain forum. I know that the Comic Review section is a bit like this, but with only one person in control and few people reading those, a larger committee could be a good thing.

Maybe the admins who post the news could also mention the review or something along those lines.
Updates Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday's (depends).

7/0

Offering Project Wonderful Ad space on my website.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:48PM
kyupol at 3:32PM, Nov. 15, 2007
(online)
Ok fine. Majority seems to like the committee of reviewers idea.

But what incentive would they get?

Incentive suggestion: their comic ad will be part of a rotation in the front page of drunkduck. Or at least appear whenever a comic of the same genre is clicked

However if the current review system will not be changed, so be it.
NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:25PM
marine at 5:17PM, Nov. 15, 2007
(offline)
I'll volunteer for such a review committee.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:53PM
SpANG at 6:11PM, Nov. 15, 2007
(online)
Priest_Revan
Well Spang, the thing is that you admins and moderators seem too busy to keep to a schedule of featuring and reviewing comics.

AHEM. I'd like to point out that unless the site had a problem, WE NEVER, EVER missed the featured comics schedule (M W F), and I kinda resent the implication. So why don't we keep featured comics out of this, okay.

Like I said, go ahead and start a group. What's stopping you from doing it the current way WITH a committee in place?
Priest_Revan at 6:58PM, Nov. 15, 2007
(offline)
SpANG
Priest_Revan

AHEM. I'd like to point out that unless the site had a problem, WE NEVER, EVER missed the featured comics schedule (M W F), and I kinda resent the implication. So why don't we keep featured comics out of this, okay.

Like I said, go ahead and start a group. What's stopping you from doing it the current way WITH a committee in place?

I didn't mean it like that Spang. You guys do keep to the schedule. I was just saying that you guys seem too busy to keep up with other things.

Edit: And like Marine, I would volunteer for this committee too.
Updates Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday's (depends).

7/0

Offering Project Wonderful Ad space on my website.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:48PM
Broken Minds at 7:36AM, Nov. 16, 2007
(online)
Well that was sort of what I was thinking.

Having a committee that would work with the current way. That way anyone can come along, still pitch in their 2 to get their own book reviewed, but this way you also have a group of dedicated reviewers from the communitity in case there's little in the way of indie reviews coming.

So you'll always have enough reviews to work with and not just 3 or 4 with 2 of those coming from the same faces you see reviewing other books too.

I'd be willing to pitch in if there's enough interest in it that it'd be worth doing.
Poke Alster at 11:07AM, Nov. 16, 2007
(offline)
i actually find it boring reviewing
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:46PM
marine at 5:03PM, Nov. 16, 2007
(offline)
The thing is, with a fetured review, you guys would have to man up and read all of a comic. Luckily with the way the administration likes to pick favorites, reviews will all be light and fluffy, easy reviews. I remember once a few years ago, as a goof I tried to get a review from one of those web comic podcasts, the guys told me they would never do negative reviews.

I know why I want to be a reviewer, and that should be obvious to anyone, why do you guys volunteer? Same reason as me?

I think from now on, I'm just going to review featured comics as they show up. Regardless of if anyone cares or not, I'll post it over on the penis news or in the penis newsletter if I have to.
SpANG at 10:17PM, Nov. 16, 2007
(online)
marine
I think from now on, I'm just going to review featured comics as they show up. Regardless of if anyone cares or not, I'll post it over on the penis news or in the penis newsletter if I have to.
Why don't you just leave it in the comments? I'm sure most people wouldn't mind as long as it's honest and not dumb. But of course, feel free to post it in your comic too.
marine at 12:02AM, Nov. 17, 2007
(offline)
SpANG
marine
Why don't you just leave it in the comments?

I don't want to clog someones comment box up with my nonsense. Besides I have to keep finding new things to say over in my penis authors comments. Like today how I spoke about suicide and comic book death, as well as some thoughts about using goofy characters to explore personal issues. And the fact that penis can switch from serious to not-serious instantly.

My goal is to eventually have a comic that each panel goes back and fourth emotionally. Being funny one moment, then emotionally gripping the next. I'm getting close to that with werewolf, but I'd also like to do that in penis. If you'd like to read more, you can read todays penis for an ultra long nothing festival of my fragmented thoughts and half ideas.
kyupol at 5:29AM, Nov. 17, 2007
(online)
I don't want to clog someones comment box up with my nonsense.

Marine, its not like people get annoyed by that. In fact, most people here at drunkduck would feel good if you comment on their comics (not spamming though. lol)
NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:25PM
marine at 9:20AM, Nov. 18, 2007
(offline)
kyupol
I don't want to clog someones comment box up with my nonsense.

Marine, its not like people get annoyed by that. In fact, most people here at drunkduck would feel good if you comment on their comics (not spamming though. lol)

Since when was making people feel good high on my to do list? Seriously, after the way people treat me and have talked to me, I'm surprised I can even converse with others. Let alone make people feel good. Most of the time, I don't have shit to say about a persons comic. If I feel like penis has a particularly low amount of readers, I'll make the rounds to people that have commented before and leave some comments. If someone has gone out of their way to be a supporter of mine, I'm more inclined to see what their going on. Honestly though guys, its been years since I've went through and actually read all of someones comic. After getting back into real comics, its difficult to do that. Once you've seen what the professional world looks like, to look at what most of us are doing here is the biggest joke of all.

Pro Tip: The longer a comment you leave, the more likely a person is going to read your comic. This has been true since 2002.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved