Debate and Discussion

Comic Sexuality?
crazyninny at 11:19AM, Sept. 13, 2007
(online)
I was wondering, what makes a comic character sexy?

Is it how they act, how they look, how developed they are in the story development? Other things?

And when does a comic become a book for eye candy, and when do they lose their sex applie? Like, can a comic have to much sex applie in it? *Like, to many DD-cups and macho men?*

And how about those comics not even intended to be sexy, with characters that can't compete, becomes eye candy?

Please put your input! I would like to know how you all feel on this for future reference, and for other people to look at and study!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:48AM
bobhhh at 11:28AM, Sept. 13, 2007
(offline)
I think its a bit subjective, isnt it? The watchmen had some voluptuous women, as does the hernandez bros(Yeah Luba!!). but that doesn't really make it eye candy in the same way as some overtly sexual strips do.

And who is to say how much is too much to be stimulating?? I think one man's zaftig superheroine is just as sexy as another's reedy, lanky punk rock chick.

That said, I think some gratuitously mysogynistic hentai is offensive and downright creepy.

But hey again jusy my opinion.
My name is Bob and I approved this signature.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:29AM
crazyninny at 11:34AM, Sept. 13, 2007
(online)
Oppions are great! I just want to see everyones veiw on this subject.

Like, I've been making some characters for my comic recently, and showed them to my friends who said that one of them was very hot. Problem is, I didn't even want that character to be hot! In fact, I tried to make him look freaky so that people wouldn't find him hot. @_@ Which, apperantly, I failed. =_=
bobhhh at 11:38AM, Sept. 13, 2007
(offline)
thats a perfect example!!!

Don't waste your time trying to second guess yourself, because what you think of as not sexy will turn someone else on. what I mean is if you hope to gain some insight on how to/or how not to make a character sexy, give up now.

ask 3 people and you'll get 5 different answers.
crazyninny at 11:45AM, Sept. 13, 2007
(online)
Haha! I guess your right, but I'll still like to see what everyone else wants to say about this.

And I should be getting us to this, I have a line up of characters that I hope won't be hot to some people's eyes, but, that probaly won't happen. @_@ But then again, I am happy to here that my main character is getting a lot of love for being her type. ^_^ Large chested girls can be role characters!

By the way, your Morphing thread makes me want to give up on drawing cleavage. @_@ How can a compete with that? @_@
arteestx at 2:12PM, Sept. 13, 2007
(online)
I think it depends. I don't think there is ONE way.

Some people are sexy in a purely eye-candy way (I think of Pamela Anderson, artificial as her body is), some are sexy in an intelligent way (I think of Tina Fey), some have beauty and a charm to them (I think of Jessica Alba), some have unconventional sexiness to them (this is REALLY subjective, but perhaps like Barbara Streisand who has an unconventional nose but can still pull off being sexy), and so forth.

I think bobhhh is right, it's ultimately subjective and what you find sexy someone else won't, and vice versa. There are different ways to be sexy. Obviously comics are a visual medium, so you have to be conscious of that. But I don't think you can force or prevent a character from being sexy…. unless you make them the Wicked Witch or something. Even then, SOMEone with a witch fetish will be turned on!

Xolta is not intended for anyone under 18 years old.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:02AM
kyupol at 5:18PM, Sept. 13, 2007
(online)
I dont bother much on the boobs. Though I pay attention to thighs, legs, and her face.

I dont like women being too thin unless there's a reason like her height… or being in a war-torn country where food is scarce.

NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:25PM
mlai at 6:38PM, Sept. 13, 2007
(online)
Male:

1. Really long hair. Either black or silver.
2. Eyelashes longer than that of women. Mascara.
3. Tall.
4. Not musclebound. Not hairy.
5. Bisexual or homosexual.
6. Taste in apparel.
7. Carries himself with assurance and takes up his space well.
8. Gets semi-nude frequently.
9. Smiles at least once.
10. Vampire.
11. Characterization.

Female:

1. Has hair on head.
2. Has both eyes.
3. Shorter than the guy.
4. Not musclebound. Not hairy.
5. Sexual pref unimportant. Virginity a plus.
6. Fetish apparel.
7. Carries herself well but with vulnerability.
8. Gets semi-nude or totally nude involuntarily.
9. Smiles and/or blushes at least three times.
10. Not vampire.
11. Characterization.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:05PM
crazyninny at 2:33PM, Sept. 14, 2007
(online)
Mlai: Wow! Thanks for the info! I'm suprised that you gave me such a great base to work on on what people really like in comics!
I can agree with you a lot on the Male things, but alas, me don't swing for girls. ;_; But its great that you said what you like in them!

Kyupoi: Wow, really? What mostly attracts you to those parts? :?

Arteestx: I can't lie with you there, I've been attracted to men who weren't really lookers, but how they act on their minds really turned me on. *Like Alan Rickman. ^^;* I really wonder though, if other people are willing to admit if they have strange fetishes, like being attracted the the Wicked witch?
kyupol at 6:04PM, Sept. 14, 2007
(online)
Kyupol: Wow, really? What mostly attracts you to those parts? :?

lol I dunno. I just… DO.
NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:25PM
crazyninny at 6:31PM, Sept. 14, 2007
(online)
Haha! XD Good answer.

Why do we sit around on the internet for hours? Cuz we just do! *Snickers.*
Hawk at 12:03AM, Sept. 15, 2007
(online)
crazyninny
Mlai: Wow! Thanks for the info! I'm suprised that you gave me such a great base to work on on what people really like in comics!
I can agree with you a lot on the Male things, but alas, me don't swing for girls. ;_; But its great that you said what you like in them!

Before you go and do anything rash, I just wanted to let you know that Mlai was excercising his very healthy sense of humor when he wrote that. All the things he listed are stereotypical things many artists use to cheaply attempt to make their characters attractive.

So I wouldn't using that list as a guideline to making beautiful characters. It might help you make a sexy character, but it won't be a very original character.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
mlai at 5:45AM, Sept. 15, 2007
(online)
Well it's 50% joking and 50% science.

Scientific studies show women laugh more and are more expressive then men in an average man-woman conversation.

Scientific studies show women carry objects with both hands at their front (shielding vulnerability) while men carry objects at the side (self-assurance and taking up more space).

Scientific studies also show both sexes preferring more attractive mates despite saying things to the contrary, such as looking for compatible personality etc.

SCIENCE!!

crazyninny at 9:01AM, Sept. 15, 2007
(online)
Oh! I'm not using any of these as guidlines! ^_^ I just wanted a better understanding of what people like in comic characters. All the characters in my stories are all created, and ready to go, so I don't need anymore ideas or such. Just wanted to see what people have to say on the subject. ^_^
mapaghimagsik at 9:29AM, Sept. 15, 2007
(offline)
mlai
Well it's 50% joking and 50% science.

Scientific studies show women laugh more and are more expressive then men in an average man-woman conversation.

Scientific studies show women carry objects with both hands at their front (shielding vulnerability) while men carry objects at the side (self-assurance and taking up more space).

Scientific studies also show both sexes preferring more attractive mates despite saying things to the contrary, such as looking for compatible personality etc.

SCIENCE!!

There's a lot of bunk “science” out there. Might want to check your studies closer. Here's an example of how junk science gets debunked.

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleID=9D97CA85-E7F2-99DF-374622AAD8C33548

See, there's this thing that people have been calling “truthiness” which is this idea that because something “feels” true, we accept it as true, without data. Surprisingly, our guts are wrong sometimes.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:51PM
spacehamster at 11:30AM, Sept. 15, 2007
(online)
It's a mix of the character's visuals and their behavior as dictated by the script, I guess. The first character that popped into my head when I saw this thread was Black Widow during Bendis' Daredevil run. I can't really say what it was that struck me as particularly sexy about her potrayal in those issues, but it was mostly in the way Bendis wrote her. Drawing your females in some blatantly cheesecakey pose in every single panel doesn't do much for me, it just strikes me as creepy. But then again books like that seem to sell, so who am I to tell people not to do that? I'd feel like a pig whoring out my characters like that, though. And mind you, I have plenty of attractive female characters in skimpy outfits, I just like them to also be cool.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:50PM
bobhhh at 12:31PM, Sept. 15, 2007
(offline)
Some people find Daria sexy, some find She Hulk sexy, there's no accounting for taste.

Personally,I have had an unnnatural attraction to Kim Possible lately.

;)
spacehamster at 12:34PM, Sept. 15, 2007
(online)
bobhhh

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one.
crazyninny at 7:24PM, Sept. 15, 2007
(online)
I can really see why Kim Possible would be hot, she's althetic, smart, a cheerleader, speaks her mind, and can stand her ground.
And with the great head of hair, and nice trimped body, she would really have a hard time picking who would take her out for dinner every night!

She Hulk… Those musle bonded women always gives me the creeps. @_@

I once remeber reading this comic, that ever time the characters where running, the girls would run in was taht wouldn't be possible. Like, if you looked behind them, their backs would be bent was to forward with their butts sticking out like that! They would of fell over on their faces if they did!
Goodies should be like they are, comes in small amounts, to much can really kill the tast in them quickly. But little peaks here and there, and maybe once in a while a good old goody really keeps your mind perked!

I wonder if superheros get wedgies? Really, they wear one piece skin suits, probably without underwear, so they probably get some major wedgies and chaffings. @_@
TitanOne at 8:33PM, Sept. 15, 2007
(offline)
Actually I don't like She-Hulk. I like John Byrne's She-Hulk. It's the personality factor.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:30PM
mlai at 11:48PM, Sept. 15, 2007
(online)
mapaghimagsik
There's a lot of bunk “science” out there. Might want to check your studies closer. Here's an example of how junk science gets debunked.
You question my SCIENCE?!?

I actually got my science from a forum discussion laughing at all the dumb things scientists research.

spacehamster at 3:02AM, Sept. 16, 2007
(online)
crazyninny
I wonder if superheros get wedgies? Really, they wear one piece skin suits, probably without underwear, so they probably get some major wedgies and chaffings. @_@

Based on the way their butts are usually drawn (and I'm totally guilty of this myself), they're pretty much all running around with perpetual wedgies.
DAJB at 8:45AM, Sept. 16, 2007
(online)
bobhhh
Some people find Daria sexy, some find She Hulk sexy, there's no accounting for taste.

;)
And some of us just aren't that picky …

KP is obviously designed to be cool (although you'd have to not mind being bossed around a bit) but Daria's sense of humour gives her a certain appeal, too. Okay, so - in the case of She-Hulk - the green skin might be a bit of a turn-off initially but, you know … colour's only skin deep!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM
Hawk at 12:03PM, Sept. 16, 2007
(online)
crazyninny
I can really see why Kim Possible would be hot, she's althetic, smart, a cheerleader, speaks her mind, and can stand her ground.

Plus, she has a mustache.
Cthulhu at 4:58PM, Sept. 16, 2007
(online)
Hawk
HAWK?!

Was that a… a… a joke?!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:58AM
Aurora Moon at 7:34PM, Sept. 16, 2007
(offline)
DAJB
in the case of She-Hulk - the green skin might be a bit of a turn-off initially but, you know … colour's only skin deep!

I don't know…. some people find “unnatural” skin-tones to be completely a turn-on. Like me, I find purple and blue skin on some certain species in fiction to be completely sexy….

along with pointy-eared people. =D

And, remember the orion slave girls in Star trek? Green skin and dark green hair, yet the men of Star trek series seems completely captived by them….
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:10AM
Hawk at 12:38AM, Sept. 17, 2007
(online)
Cthulhu
Hawk
HAWK?!

Was that a… a… a joke?!

Well, if you look at her dark upper lip just right and pretend that line for her lower lip is a mouth, it totally looks like a 'stache. Kim Possible is a very well-designed character, but the way they do her lips has always felt strange to me.
mlai at 5:57AM, Sept. 17, 2007
(online)
It's the Angelina Jolie look that's been fashionable for the last few decades. The octopus lips.

crazyninny at 1:55PM, Sept. 17, 2007
(online)
I've always find myself attracted to the Wraith from Stargate: Atlantis. Light green skin, long white hair, long black clothes, a vampire air around them with their sexy voices… Mmmmm… Yummy!

And I've always been a fan of Nightcrawler form the X-Men, blue skin, tail, elf ears and is an acrobat… Can I say, jackpot?
Aurora Moon at 8:19AM, Sept. 18, 2007
(offline)
crazyninny
And I've always been a fan of Nightcrawler form the X-Men, blue skin, tail, elf ears and is an acrobat… Can I say, jackpot?

oh yeah. He's definely sexy.
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:10AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved