Debate and Discussion

Comic Sexuality?
trevoramueller at 10:25AM, Sept. 18, 2007
(online)
Sex appeal is obviously very objective, but what I think works is if the character looks right. If they're proportioned correctly, and they don't have overly large body parts (you know what I'm talking about, but I'm trying to keep my comment general because they work for both male and female characters).

You don't want a guy with huge arms and small legs, and you don't want a woman with huge breasts - it just doesn't look right. I try to design characters that are athletic, sleek and slender but tone. However, they don't always come out just right - that takes practice. ;)
My Drunk Duck Comics:

Nominated for numerous web awards, see more news at My Website
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:33PM
crazyninny at 1:56PM, Sept. 18, 2007
(online)
trevoramueller
You don't want a guy with huge arms and small legs, and you don't want a woman with huge breasts - it just doesn't look right.

Ugh, guys with huge arms yet small legs, SO UNCOOL! ><

Then again, I've never seen those muslce boys hot. Nope, always been my well tones, sleaky and sexy boys. <3
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:48AM
PurplePeopleEater at 4:24PM, Sept. 18, 2007
(offline)
Aurora Moon
DAJB
in the case of She-Hulk - the green skin might be a bit of a turn-off initially but, you know … colour's only skin deep!
I don't know…. some people find “unnatural” skin-tones to be completely a turn-on. Like me, I find purple and blue skin on some certain species in fiction to be completely sexy…. along with pointy-eared people. =D And, remember the orion slave girls in Star trek? Green skin and dark green hair, yet the men of Star trek series seems completely captived by them….
Ninja Turtles. Yum.

And adult Simba for some reason… ok, I need serious help.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:56PM
ozoneocean at 4:33PM, Sept. 18, 2007
(online)
mlai
mapaghimagsik
There's a lot of bunk “science” out there. Might want to check your studies closer. Here's an example of how junk science gets debunked.
You question my SCIENCE?!?

I actually got my science from a forum discussion laughing at all the dumb things scientists research.
You know, I think the problem word there is “scientist”… What defines a scientist? lol!
You know what I suspect the cause of most of those stupid studies is? Post grad research. When you're a post grad student you often have to produce some kind of thesis about something in order to finish your studies, sometimes it's just tempting to do a thesis about anything, whatever sounds fun and you can get away with! Sometimes you'll find you don't even need to do any actual surveys or experiments yourself, you could produce one of those “crazy studies” just by doing a an overall survey of the available literature: that's just gathering all the published studies that support the point you want to make and making a new study based on all of those, it's so simple… Most of those news stories on crazy studies are usually just that.

One of the other things driving them is the need to publish. Sometimes people will waste their time on the sillier ideas simply to get something published which is goal enough in itself; the study doesn't need any practical application because the way it benefits the researcher is simply by having it published.

Anyway, there's some kind of on going debate about sexism in webcomics going on here if you're interested, and this one actually goes outside of the superficial aspects in places, if you can believe it! o_O

Oh, and the subject and question is sexuality and what makes a character sexy? Ok… I'm not sue, it's different for everybody. I think the hourglass figure on female characters works pretty well in that regard.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:28PM
crazyninny at 7:08PM, Sept. 18, 2007
(online)
Some how sciene became a debate in here…

WAHHAHHHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!

All I can say is, Mad Scientest or bust.
marine at 9:12PM, Sept. 18, 2007
(offline)
I wonder whats sexy about penis. I know Wednesdays always have my sexiest female character, The Fat Blue Lady, but I'm not sure what makes her so sexy. Maybe its that she weighs over NINE THOUSAND pounds.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:52PM
crazyninny at 1:13PM, Sept. 19, 2007
(online)
There are weird people out there who like that kind of woman.

And then you get the REALLY weird ones… You know what I mean by that…
trevoramueller at 11:18AM, Sept. 20, 2007
(online)
I attend a goth club on Monday Nights…it doesn't get much more strange than that.

Yet I love the people there, and can't stop going….
My Drunk Duck Comics:

Priest_Revan at 4:36PM, Sept. 20, 2007
(offline)
trevoramueller
I attend a goth club on Monday Nights…it doesn't get much more strange than that.

It really doesn't get anymore stange than that.
Updates Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday's (depends).

7/0

Offering Project Wonderful Ad space on my website.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:48PM
Aurora Moon at 5:10PM, Sept. 20, 2007
(offline)
Priest_Revan
trevoramueller

oh no? I could think of plenty of stranger things than that…. like an Erotic Furry Convention, for instance.
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:10AM
Priest_Revan at 5:49PM, Sept. 20, 2007
(offline)
Aurora Moon
Priest_Revan
trevoramueller

oh no? I could think of plenty of stranger things than that…. like an Erotic Furry Convention, for instance.

1. You totally would use that against me…
2. There are few of those. Most Furry conventions are good and not the stereotypical erotic conventions.
3. Trust me, I hate goths and RL furries just the same.

7/0

marine at 6:15PM, Sept. 20, 2007
(offline)
What about online furries as opposed to “RL” (assuming that means real life) furries? Or plushies, the people who love plus dolls. Or just guys who're into bestiality (aka inner species erotica if you want to be politically correct)? Theres a lot of people into a lot of dumb shit. Thats the nature of the internet. I hope someone uses that quote somewhere, because its absolutely true.

Anyone whose into anything is weird. Sonic the Hedgehog fans, ICP “juggalos”, DC or Marvel fanboys, guys who argue over the xbox/nintendo/playstation “war”, people who like to see women holding guns, vampires, people who're into voodoo, rap music, it never ends the list of weird sub cultures.

Some argue that people who're into web comics are pretty weird. Not to defend furries or goths, but you've got to take an objective point of view on where this argument is going on. This is somewhat bizzare topic to even discuss, and I'm ashamed to be here discussing it.

Say did anyone catch that poop joke in penis the other day? It was probably the dirtiest one I've ever done.
crazyninny at 6:28PM, Sept. 20, 2007
(online)
Marine was on the right track by what I ment on weird love…

But what I ment was on those people that love to get it on with dead people or animals. @_@ There was a case nearby not to long ago where a guy was cuaght fucking a dead deer on the side of the road, and tolled the judge he couldn't be trailed cuz it was just a dead animal…

He went to prison at the end. @_@
Priest_Revan at 7:41PM, Sept. 20, 2007
(offline)
marine
What about online furries as opposed to “RL” (assuming that means real life) furries? Or plushies, the people who love plus dolls. Or just guys who're into bestiality (aka inner species erotica if you want to be politically correct)? Theres a lot of people into a lot of dumb shit. Thats the nature of the internet. I hope someone uses that quote somewhere, because its absolutely true.

Anyone whose into anything is weird. Sonic the Hedgehog fans, ICP “juggalos”, DC or Marvel fanboys, guys who argue over the xbox/nintendo/playstation “war”, people who like to see women holding guns, vampires, people who're into voodoo, rap music, it never ends the list of weird sub cultures.

Some argue that people who're into web comics are pretty weird. Not to defend furries or goths, but you've got to take an objective point of view on where this argument is going on. This is somewhat bizzare topic to even discuss, and I'm ashamed to be here discussing it.

Say did anyone catch that poop joke in penis the other day? It was probably the dirtiest one I've ever done.

I like your post. I agree with the majority of it.

I'm a little shocked that you of all people feel ashamed of discussing this here. I mean, you're the guy who named your comic “Penis” (awesome comic name by the way).

Look, I'm not at this thread to say anything is weird, or that certain types of furries are weird and that others aren't… I only said what I said because that was low blow.

But lets get back to the actual topic at hand (unless this is the topic now).

@Crazyninny- I have to agree. Necrophilia and Beasiality is a little weird, whether it be in a comic… or in the real world.

7/0

Aurora Moon at 8:31AM, Sept. 21, 2007
(offline)
Oh, but I'm a Goth. so I guess that means you hate me? =(

Heh. I just don't think being a Goth is that werid.

Those angsty teenagers cofriming themselves to every Goth Stertotype just so that they can be “gothic” even though they're really not, does ruin it for the rest of us…. but beyond that I don't see what's wrong with being Goth.

After all, We're not like super depressed 24/7, not all of us have a thing for vampires, and so on forth.

I'm what you would call a victorian Goth, conidsering that I have a little bit of a thing for period clothing mixed with Fishnet.. but otherwise I'm a pretty much normal person. And sometimes I also go for a punk/Gothic combo look. =)

You gonna look past the sterotype and realize that there's like different types of Goths, baby. =D

So I don't see how one couldn't find a goth sexy and still be conidsered normal. Just like how some people could be into furries and still be normal…
like how they would find a fictional furry character attractive by personality, etc but wouldn't want to fuck any irl furries or even real animals like the sterotype about them says that they're supposed to.
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
mlai at 8:59AM, Sept. 21, 2007
(online)
With a name like Aurora Moon and a disco Space Channel 5 avatar, the last thing I thought you'd be is goth.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:05PM
Aurora Moon at 9:12AM, Sept. 21, 2007
(offline)
mlai
With a name like Aurora Moon and a disco Space Channel 5 avatar, the last thing I thought you'd be is goth.

lol that was my whole point, that there are many different types of Goths.. even the colorful types. ;)
not all Goths are all about wearing all black, etc, even though black is one of my favorite colors…

But unfortunately not many people know that, and often holds us all against that whole Angsty/all black/etc sterotype.

Just like how people may hold people who like furries against that whole “people who are into furry are sexual deviants!!!” sterotype.

hope that makes sense.
Hawk at 10:06AM, Sept. 21, 2007
(online)
crazyninny

I thought Mr. Incredible was pretty cool.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
Aurora Moon at 12:08PM, Sept. 21, 2007
(offline)
Hawk
crazyninny

I thought Mr. Incredible was pretty cool.

Yeah. I thought he could be easily be a real human by how he handled his feelings, his situations, etc….

Just goes to show you, no matter how a person looks if that person is handled/drawn/expressed pretty well, then there's always going to be people who like the person.
marine at 3:35PM, Sept. 21, 2007
(offline)
No offense intended towards Aurora, but there are a lot of goths who are absolutely nuts. I've met some people that fit into the stereotype more than others, but theres always some stuff thats the same. Some argue that Aurora would be a poser or someone just doing it for the trendyness of it. If such rules apply to the furry subculture, may god help anyone whose being a furry for the trendyness and subsequent “popularity” of it.

Which isn't to say that a comic book guy like me doesn't fit into a negative stereotype either. I hate everything. I wear Spider-man T-shirts two sizes too small, and refuse to buy new clothes. In fact, I've not bought new clothes in years. I'm always on the internet bitching about things. I have a web comic that has dick and fart jokes. And I often fart loudly. Some argue they smell raunchy.

To get us back on topic from psuedo-flame wars, penis is trysexual. Its going to try anything and see if it works, if it does, it will ride whatever it is into the ground until its no longer funny. Thats why I still make all your base are belong to us jokes. If something doesn't work or goes into an area that I think is a little too heated, I won't ever dare do it again. Thats why some characters or situations appear once and others appear too often.

I mostly do my comics to lift the tedium of doing nothing all day. At least I can point to it and say “Well its there, and some argue that its great.” To which no one cares. They only want to add you to their social networking sites or ask you about your taste in music.

Aurora Moon at 4:06PM, Sept. 21, 2007
(offline)
marine
No offense intended towards Aurora, but there are a lot of goths who are absolutely nuts. I've met some people that fit into the stereotype more than others, but theres always some stuff thats the same. Some argue that Aurora would be a poser or someone just doing it for the trendyness of it. If such rules apply to the furry subculture, may god help anyone whose being a furry for the trendyness and subsequent “popularity” of it.

No Offense taken. I know there's always the nutty ones and the person who seems to be fitting a sterotype to an T in every group ever existing out there.

Jock, Preppy, Emo, and so on forth… there's always that highly annoying, nutty person who's SO sterotypical of thier group that sometimes you can't help but wonder if they're actually for real or just acting the part.

Every group has thier own bad side, that's for sure. Some worse than others…but thats life for you.

People is just gonna have to remember that if they find that certain somebody werid for something they like or find attractive….then there's a 97% chance that there's somebody else who may just find THEM the werid ones.

It's all subjective in the end…In fact I might argue that nothing is truly werid or even attractive….that it's all about the eye of the beholder.
JerMohler at 11:58AM, Sept. 24, 2007
(offline)
Someone
And when does a comic become a book for eye candy, and when do they lose their sex applie? Like, can a comic have to much sex applie in it? *Like, to many DD-cups and macho men?*

Not to derail the conversation (and what an interesting conversation that it is), but I think that this is an interesting comment.

I think when a book becomes more about the “sex appeal” and less about the story, it becomes “eye candy”. There are very few instances in which I would actually pick up a book where there was no point to the “sex appeal” (Heavy Metal Magazine being an exception, heh). Of course, there are stories where the “sex appeal” is perfectly appropriate. Just about anything from Manara qualifies. Allot of European comics qualify as well - it's not just sex for sex sake. It actually furthers the plot and story.

I feel the same way about violence. I don't mind violence when it serves the plot. What I think is silly is when it is gratuitous and there is absolutely no reason for the excessiveness.
Jeremy Mohler
Creative Director
Cowboys and Aliens II
http://www.drunkduck.com/Cowboys_and_Aliens_II/

Owner and Art Director of Baeg Tobar
http://www.baegtobar.com
info@baegtobar.com

My Portfolio:
http://www.jeremymohler.com
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:07PM
crazyninny at 1:20PM, Sept. 25, 2007
(online)
Which brings up another question, what to other cultures see in comci sexuality? Would our comics and vice versa be expeted in other cultures?
trevoramueller at 9:50AM, Sept. 28, 2007
(online)
Yeah, I'm not a fan of the goth people that attend the club - they're usually spending too much time and money at Hot Topic.

There's a lot of high school crap that goes up at the club (even though a good portion of the people there have graduated). I just go for the music, and many of my friends attend for the same reason.

Back to comic sexuality, what about characters who wear “skin tight” outfits? I have never really thought that “superhero uniforms” were all that impressive or attractive, and as an artist I find it more challenging to put characters in baggy clothes and try to maintain an attractive image. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
My Drunk Duck Comics:

Kristen Gudsnuk at 10:05AM, Sept. 28, 2007
(online)
mlai
Male:

1. Really long hair. Either black or silver.
2. Eyelashes longer than that of women. Mascara.
3. Tall.
4. Not musclebound. Not hairy.
5. Bisexual or homosexual.
6. Taste in apparel.
7. Carries himself with assurance and takes up his space well.
8. Gets semi-nude frequently.
9. Smiles at least once.
10. Vampire.
11. Characterization.

Female:

1. Has hair on head.
2. Has both eyes.
3. Shorter than the guy.
4. Not musclebound. Not hairy.
5. Sexual pref unimportant. Virginity a plus.
6. Fetish apparel.
7. Carries herself well but with vulnerability.
8. Gets semi-nude or totally nude involuntarily.
9. Smiles and/or blushes at least three times.
10. Not vampire.
11. Characterization.

haha… that was really funny… and true, in a lot of fiction. I liked “10. Not vampire.”
XD!!
something that will make a male character sexy is if he's quiet and tall, has good hair, wears strange clothing and has a tragic past. Yup, there's my bishounen.

as far as things that make a character sexy, they've gotta have style, but mainly it's all about their actions. If you've ever played Enzai (heh……. my guilty pleasure. emphasis on the pleasure. haha. jk.) just about every character in that is hot, in their own way. It's a pretty well-drawn game, and the cool thing is that everyone's so different- there's Vallewida, who's really odd and has a multiple personality disorder; there's Jose, who's, well… very ‘headstrong’, shall we say, but kind of childish at the same time; Durer and Guildias are the twisted, sick, but kinda loveable type (I don't think loveable's the word I'm looking for, actually..) etc.
Anyway, the reason why it's fun isn't because of physical attributes– those get kind of static and boring after a while. sexiness is all in someone's personality.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:22PM
crazyninny at 6:53PM, Sept. 28, 2007
(online)
trevoramueller
Back to comic sexuality, what about characters who wear “skin tight” outfits? I have never really thought that “superhero uniforms” were all that impressive or attractive, and as an artist I find it more challenging to put characters in baggy clothes and try to maintain an attractive image. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Skin tight outfits are kind of a turn off to me. Wheres the fun with them? You can let your eyes roam, but I personally like to use my imagination on what the body looks like. ^_-

But when they wear normal clothing, mmmm… I can just imagine what the body looks like, very fun to do.

When I draw normal clothing, I sometimes just draw my characters ‘naked’ and build the clothing on from there. Takes a little more time, but its more acurate.
TitanOne at 8:01PM, Sept. 28, 2007
(offline)
mlai
It's the Angelina Jolie look that's been fashionable for the last few decades. The octopus lips.

Personally I find Angelina Jolie pretty unattractive, but if we men must endure the pretense that her effete, chipmunk-faced, rabbit-jawed husband is “handsome”, then tit for tat, I suppose. ;)
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:30PM
Ladyknight17 at 8:52PM, Sept. 28, 2007
(online)
I think strong woman confident and comfortable in their sexuality are incredibly sexy. The whole reason comic book heroines are so popular. There's just something special about a sexy woman who can kick a man's butt who is twice her size, and hack into computers, and recite important history in an instant.

For the men…He's got to be smart. He's got to know what he wants. He has to be willing to help others break out of their molds, and become something special. Seeing potential.
But physically…the eyes. I melt for a comic book man with a pricing gaze. LOL.
Tired of messing with a banner. Just visit the comic at…

www.drunkduck.com/red_poems/
Thanks.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:27PM
ozoneocean at 9:13PM, Sept. 28, 2007
(online)
trevoramueller
Back to comic sexuality, what about characters who wear “skin tight” outfits?
The point of that is to draw the characters naked without actually having them naked :)

Why make them “naked” in that way? Well, tradition is one reason. Superheroes are direct descendants from Greek heroes from Myth, (with a little bit of Norse thrown in). Greek heroes are traditionally depicted naked or as close too it. Even heroes of Hebrew/Christian myth like David were famously depicted in the newly rediscovered Greek way during the Renaissance.
And then o fcourse there's the continuing tradition within the culture itself. You draw them that way because everyone's always drawn them that way: that's how you draw them, that's how they look!

Then there's also “sex sells”. Male and female nudes are interesting to both male and females on an animal level and awareness…

And then there's the artists themselves. Naked people are really easy and fun to draw, It save a lot of time if the only detail you need to add to the figure you've just drawn is a logo on their chest and some lines for where there “clothing” is supposed to start and finish so the colourist knows what to paint skin colour and what to paint in vivid primaries… Seriously, all they do mostly is remove detial rather than add it to the figure: get ride of toes and make the foot into a boot. no nipples, no genitals. lol!

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:28PM
StaceyMontgomery at 10:33PM, Sept. 28, 2007
(offline)
There came a point in my comic when the heros finally put on their skin-tight, superhero-style mod spacesuits. I have to say, i was totally blown away at how much easier they make drawing the heros. I mean, I had designed the suits years ago, and drawn them plenty of times… but it's only when you put them into a production situation (like, a daily comic strip) that you really notice the difference. Whoosh!

Anyone with deadlines has to love skin-tight suits.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:55PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved