Help, Support and Suggestions

Comic veiws. Are they a lie?
same at 4:37AM, Aug. 7, 2008
(online)
Why does it always say a rounded number like 10? I assume they just add a 0 to the end. Am i right or has my 2nd page really got 40 veiws?
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:19PM
skoolmunkee at 5:55AM, Aug. 7, 2008
(online)
The views aren't lies, they're just rounded to the nearest 10. So, if you have 37 views, or 42, it will say 40. I dunno why it's rounded when it could just tell you the actual number, but…

Wrong forum, by the way. I'm moving it to ‘help’ :)
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:41PM
same at 7:32AM, Aug. 7, 2008
(online)
Oh thanks. Nah you can delete this if you want. i was just wonderin
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:19PM
Product Placement at 1:52PM, Aug. 11, 2008
(online)
Actually, I was wondering the same thing. It really looks like that the 0 at the end is added. I honestly can't believe I'm getting this many page views that fast.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:49PM
mattchee at 11:27AM, Aug. 13, 2008
(online)
I've found the DD stat counter to be a bit of a fibber.

Its accurate enough for what it's counting, though it does round up. I believe it counts page loads only. Not uniques, and not with any discrimination based on IP. That means if you're changing something on your page and you need to refresh it 50 times getting it right… DD counts 50 page loads. Or if Joe Blow is looking at it, and DD has a problem (plausible!), and needs to refresh it a couple times, that can screw the accuracy as well…. Or if you just go look at it 172 times a day to see if any one commented…. all that gets counted.

IF you're interested in getting better stats (and you have a raw HTML page, not a template), there are a bunch of free stat counting services (google it) available that only require you to put a bit of code into your HTML, and they'll give you all kinds of information. For one, you'll probably be able to block your own IP, so checking your own site won't screw up the stats. You'll also get to see uniques vs pageloads (IE, who's showing up and reading the latest page vs who's dipping into the archives). Actually, the amount of information you can get is almost embarrassing (and will make you consider a few things whenever you visit any site).

There's nothing wrong with the DD one, just know its a bit compromised, and not always representative of what your pageload really is.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:55PM
Skullbie at 12:14PM, Aug. 13, 2008
(online)
Wow mattchee…thanks for the info! i might put up a site counter just for curiosity now :P

I got dismayed about my own stats when i saw the project wonderful stats- i think pw only doesn't hits from people that have ad block. And it also takes them awhile to get your real hits leveled right on there.

If DD is an ego booster stat…it's probly a good thing. nothings more discouraging on comics then having nobody read them i think

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:46PM
SpANG at 5:49PM, Aug. 13, 2008
(online)
mattchee
I've found the DD stat counter to be a bit of a fibber.

Its accurate enough for what it's counting, though it does round up. I believe it counts page loads only. Not uniques, and not with any discrimination based on IP. That means if you're changing something on your page and you need to refresh it 50 times getting it right… DD counts 50 page loads. Or if Joe Blow is looking at it, and DD has a problem (plausible!), and needs to refresh it a couple times, that can screw the accuracy as well…. Or if you just go look at it 172 times a day to see if any one commented…. all that gets counted…

…There's nothing wrong with the DD one, just know its a bit compromised, and not always representative of what your pageload really is.

It doesn't fib, it's just pageviews, true enough. And why not? People may also be reading though your archives you know.

Actual DD stats, however, are counted by unique IP hits (not just pageviews), among other things. DD just doesn't make uniques public (I think this is just a feature oversight). True, you can get your pageviews up by cheating, but it won't help your stats. ;)

I can prove it too:

(Unique hits only show when the day is over.)

But yeah, there are plenty of great free trackers. We use http://www.extremetracking.com. It gives you some great info; geological, resolution, country, browser, etc.

Here are our stats currently:
http://extremetracking.com/open?login=sharra
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:53PM
mattchee at 2:06PM, Aug. 18, 2008
(online)
I wasn't saying that DD pulled its stats out of the air, just that it might not be counting what you expect it to be counting. IE- you might check your own page 427 times a day for comments and not realize how much you did this, and boom, super inflated stats.

None of my statements were concerned with ranking whatsoever.

Just to clarify. I'm not arguing your points in the least.

On the whole since I've started with PW, their stats have been consistent with my own stat counter, as well as the total pageload count of DD's statcounter.

BUT… all this said…. some developments…

The reason why I came back to this thread is this:

I did not visit my own page once yesterday. Not once (hey, I've got a wedding coming up… BUSY BUSY BUSY!). Not surprisingly, for a sunday, my stats according to PW were low. Didn't check my stat counter. Later I looked at DDs count for yesterday and it was SUPER high. Like… almost matching my best day ever (the numbers are sad, though, so I wont get specific!)…..

Checked my stat counter to confirm if PW was off. Turns out my stat counter and PW were the same…. DD was off. My actual stats for yesterday (total page loads) were 13% of what DD reported.

13%

That means 87% of the DD count was BOGUS. I don't mean to be down on DD. I'm not. At all. I'm not trying to be negative in any way to anyone or DD itself. I had been under the impression that the DD statcounter was accurate, at least for pageloads, but now I am thinking its not. That's a pretty large disparity.

I'd be curious if anyone had an explanation, though…..

Skullbie at 2:23PM, Aug. 18, 2008
(online)
I'm pretty sure PW does not count hits to any one with a adblocker on, like firefox's Ad block plus or no script.
I do think DD is a bit of a fibber with stats yes, but not by that much. lol! (i suppose i'll find out once i get my own domain and stat counter)

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:46PM
mattchee at 3:20PM, Aug. 18, 2008
(online)
I just want to be clear that I have absolutely ZERO negative intent (I know things can heat up here once in a while). I have no agenda against or for anyone or anything, and am only reporting my findings for objective (as objective as a human can be) informative purposes.

I have nothing to gain reporting my experience other than letting folks know it happened. Thats all.

This is the ONLY time I have ever experienced this much disparity in the statistics, and I am in no way saying that this is a common experience. In fact, the reason I'm telling y'all about it is because its UNcommon.

I'm also not calling DDs stats lies. But something must have caused this, and I simply wonder why.

I'll bare all the details of my example for you. I'm far too lazy, and think this is far too silly to go through the effort of linking up my charts… if you think I'm BSing my numbers here, go ahead and think that. I have no reason to make anything up, and I don't really think its worth going to any extreme length since its not really any big deal in my eyes (I know my stats are sad, but keep in mind it was a sunday, my worst day):

Project Wonderful: 35 page views, 1 or 2 unique (hard to tell from their chart)

Stat Counter: 33 page views, 1 unique

Drunk Duck: 240 page views

I can take into account that Stat Counter and DD are on two different time zones (unsure about PW)… 2 hours difference, actually. But I only had 16 page views TOTAL on Sat, so that wouldn't exactly make up for the 200 supposed page views happening in that two hour period.

And like I said, I didn't visit my pages once.

I'm just curious about what would cause this….
SpANG at 3:20PM, Aug. 18, 2008
(online)
I don't think you're being negative, mattchee. You're just asking questions. Nothing wrong with that. :)

PW uses a javascript method that is based on a 10% deficiency. That's the industry standard for javascript. Not sure what your other counter uses, but it's probably also javascript.

There are lots of reasons as to why javascript would not track pageviews properly; ad blockers (like Skullbie said), javascript errors, etc.

DD uses a more reliable php/mysql method. It logs actual page requests, unlike javascript which only logs when the javascript executes and calls to an external server.
mattchee at 3:30PM, Aug. 18, 2008
(online)
SpANG
I don't think you're being negative, mattchee. You're just asking questions. Nothing wrong with that. :)

PW uses a javascript method that is based on a 10% deficiency. That's the industry standard for javascript. Not sure what your other counter uses, but it's probably also javascript.

There are lots of reasons as to why javascript would not track pageviews properly; ad blockers (like Skullbie said), javascript errors, etc.

DD uses a more reliable php/mysql method. It logs actual page requests, unlike javascript which only logs when the javascript executes and calls to an external server.

Ah ha! Well that makes sense…..

…and is VERY interesting. HMMM…

So that means if someone had an ad blocker that blocked scripts…. my stat counter would be effected as well.

Wow.

Eye opener!
SpANG at 3:46PM, Aug. 18, 2008
(online)
mattchee
So that means if someone had an ad blocker that blocked scripts…. my stat counter would be effected as well.

Exactly correct my friend. ;)

Aaaand, since you shared your page views for that day, I thought you might like to know the actual uniques…

(Reminder- uniques are counted after the day ends. that's why today shows zero still)

Your readership is climbing, as a good comic's should. :D
mattchee at 4:08PM, Aug. 18, 2008
(online)
I'm glad I brought this up! I've learned a lot. Thanks!

Like I said, a real eye opener!

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved