Media Megaforum

Comics to Animation: Is made-4-video the way to go?
jalford at 1:29AM, Feb. 13, 2006
(online)
Notice how both Teen Titans and now JLU are being removed from Cartoon Network. Plus, any chance of an Avengers live-action film got scrubbed with the Ultimate Avengers OVA. There's also an upcoming animated Superman movie on video to coincide with the Superman Returns film. Does it seem like having comic-based animated features go straight to video than putting them on American TV might seem like a better idea? God knows that's all the non-Pixar films that Disney has been making for the last few years.

Bambi II? WTF?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
Ian Jay at 9:44AM, Feb. 13, 2006
(offline)
I'd agree, except I think that even the average every-day consumer is smart enough to equate “direct-to-video” with “sucky”.

~IJ
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:56PM
ccs1989 at 9:49AM, Feb. 13, 2006
(online)
JLU is getting axed? NYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:37AM
jalford at 2:56PM, Feb. 13, 2006
(online)
Well, they're playing the last 9 episodes now. It's hard to say if there will be anything after that. Creator Paul Dini said in a recent interview with Wizard that they might continue the series on DVD. There is a Superman solo animated movie coming out this summer that connects to the original 90s Superman animated series.
ccs1989 at 6:09PM, Feb. 13, 2006
(online)
At what time are these last episodes of JLU playing?

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
jalford at 1:21AM, Feb. 14, 2006
(online)
Once a week during Toonami at 10:30 PM.
isukun at 6:43AM, Feb. 15, 2006
(online)
They've been making direct to video comic movies for quite a while now. Only Mask of the Phantasm ever made it to theaters. While the rest were direct to video, most were also shown on TV as a miniseries for whatever programming block they usually take up.

A lot of people like to equate direct to video films with bad movies, but most of the direct to video stuff for Batman and Superman wasn't too bad. I wouldn't be surprised if the Ultimate Avengers movie wasn't half bad. It's targetting a totally different audience than the Disney direct to video films. Small children have little concern for content. Ultimate Avengers comes with a PG-13 rating and is likely targetting the teen crowd and without nudity, teens are going to care a little more about content and quality.

.: isukun :.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:03PM
ccs1989 at 1:26PM, Feb. 16, 2006
(online)
Mask of the Phantasm is really the best batman movie out there. Better'n any of the live action ones.

jalford at 1:36PM, Feb. 16, 2006
(online)
Although, Mask Of The Phantasm did play in theatres first. The Sub Zero movie with Mr. Freeze was also supposed to play in theatres, but it went straight to video.
Thevampire_kain01 at 4:03AM, Feb. 17, 2006
(offline)
I'll have to look into it some time.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:29PM
Inkmonkey at 12:35PM, Feb. 17, 2006
(online)
So far, I like the prospect of direct to video movies. There's a certain standard for quality that I know a lot of companies can't afford, in relation to feature film releases, but direct to video releases offer a chance to flex artistically and for the writing to be a bit more intense. I think if enough groups push for direct to video releases it might start to be seen as the norm, and customers won't be put off by the idea that something wasn't “good enough for theaters”.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:59PM
marine at 1:41PM, Feb. 17, 2006
(offline)
Direct to video isn't so bad now.

Its not video anymore guys. Its direct to dvd. Big difference. What once was a shitty purchase for ten or twenty bucks, now is a conveinant and nice way of forming a reliable collection of films. If only to show off your film library to people.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:51PM
jalford at 2:56PM, Feb. 17, 2006
(online)
Well, when we mean direct to video, we don't mean VHS. “Video” meaning recorded visual media. There's also PSP, Podcasting, downloadable files on the net, and probably a dozen other kinds of video I'm totally out of date with to know about.

Speaking of movies though, notice how many CGI animated films have come out just in the last few months? Hoodwinked was last month, and now the same production team has a new movie called Doogal, and Disney's coming out with some shameless Madagascar ripoff called The Wild. None of which of these are Pixar, although their films have been slipping since after The Incredibles. But it seems like it takes Hollywood alot less time to put out a no quality CGI flick than it does to do a semi-quality 2-D animated flick.
isukun at 5:51PM, Feb. 18, 2006
(online)
Speaking of movies though, notice how many CGI animated films have come out just in the last few months? Hoodwinked was last month, and now the same production team has a new movie called Doogal, and Disney's coming out with some shameless Madagascar ripoff called The Wild. None of which of these are Pixar, although their films have been slipping since after The Incredibles. But it seems like it takes Hollywood alot less time to put out a no quality CGI flick than it does to do a semi-quality 2-D animated flick.

Quite frankly, every major animation company has been switching to 3D. There is Curious George coming to theaters, but that looks like it may be more juvenile than the sort fo films Disney, Pixar, and Dreamworks tend to work on. I definitely would not say that these movies take less time or money than 2D features, though. You get your budget films in every medium. Just as there are some cheap to produce 3D films, there have also been numerous cheap to produce 2D films hitting the market in the past. Only now we get movies like hoodwinked and Madagascar instead of movies like the Rugrats or Recess.

As for the Pixar comment, in what way have their films been slipping since the Incredibles. considering they haven't released a film since the Incredibles, it seems hard to make that kind of judgement. I'll admit, I don't have high hopes for Cars, but I can't concretely say it's a bad movie without watching it.

So far, I like the prospect of direct to video movies. There's a certain standard for quality that I know a lot of companies can't afford, in relation to feature film releases, but direct to video releases offer a chance to flex artistically and for the writing to be a bit more intense.

At the moment, most direct to video films are put out as simple money makers. Most are aimed at kids and things like story and animation are sacrificed for low production costs and character recognition. From a corporate standpoint, it is more profitable to make a low budget film that sells on name recognition than a more expensive theatrical film that has to show some level of merit. Some of the more recent films have had to appeal to older audiences. Teens and adults are a little more skeptical when it comes to making purchases. They're less likely to buy on a whim, so those products have to be a bit more appealing. Better writers are often employed to make a more solid story. Still, this is very much the minority of direct to video releases, though.

I think this trend will change in the future, however. Theaters are rapidly becoming less profitable. Box office sales now have to compete with other venues, many of which are illegal and don't bring any profit to the production company. Only a handful of films a year actually manage to bring in a signifigant profit. Plus, with advances in TV technology and the growing size and quality of TV screens, theatrical releases may be on the way out unless theaters find a way to offer higher quality sound and pictures than their smaller domestic counterparts.

If theaters do begin to falter, it is entirely possible that direct to video films may be the way of the future.

.: isukun :.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:03PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved