Debate and Discussion

Coming of the Apocolypse
Coveinant at 3:06PM, Jan. 6, 2009
(online)
Many things point to the end of the world being 2012: Nostradomis (or however you spell his name), the Mayan calender (HA, they didn't even live to see 1812), and many on the street nutjobs. Truthfully, that's not what they predicted (all except for the nutjobs). If memory serves correct, both predicted the end of humanity as we know it; that doesn't mean the end of us or Earth (my minuet ability of premonition has allowed me to see visions well past 2012, so we ain't going die just yet). If I remember correctly, each time the age on the Mayan calender changed it was a new era in human development (like the last one was 100 years ago, and that was the one of the best and worst times in human history). Well you know what I think, but how do you feel about this load of crap?
Enter my contests and be happy about your ideas.

go here, I may have left you something good
CJ
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:47AM
arteestx at 7:13PM, Jan. 6, 2009
(online)
I've forgotten how many times the world was supposedly supposed to end just in my brief lifetime. My favorite is still 88 reasons why the rapture will occur in 1988, but every few years it seems like there's a new prediction about how the world will end soon.

Of course, if Sarah Palin runs for the presidency in 2012 and wins, then maybe Nostradomis might be onto something after all…. ;)

Xolta is not intended for anyone under 18 years old.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:02AM
Sea_Cow at 8:22PM, Jan. 6, 2009
(offline)
Your “premonition” is probably bullshit, but I agree that this “WORLD ENDS IN 2012!!!!!OMG” thing is, as well.
I am so happy to finally be back home
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:26PM
DMH at 8:38PM, Jan. 6, 2009
(offline)
Remember how Y2K was supposed to cause the end of the world at the turn of the century?

Personally, I don't really worry about that sort of thing. I mean, yeah, maybe it might happen, but we don't know that for sure. Nobody can accurately predict the future unless they have experienced it first hand. You could say it'll rain tomorrow due to the clouds and you end up getting a dry spell for weeks.

Oh well, if it happens, then you were right. If not, then we can all live our lives in peace.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:12PM
bravo1102 at 1:25AM, Jan. 7, 2009
(online)
Psst, the Mayans are still there. Sure they don't live in the cities anymore but they're still there and 2/3rds still speak the ancient Mayan language and everything. The cities were still occupied when the Sapnish arrived and survived for several decades after the Aztecs were gone.

The Long Count is the end of one cycle and the beginning of another. For the past 2000 years nearly every year has been chosen as the END OF THE WORLD! (see Apocalypse Pretty Soon by Alex Heard and Apocalypses by Eugen Weber)

I have a copy of the Prophecies of Nostradamus from the 1970s and the interpretations for the future predictions are laughable in hindsight. Didn't you know that Saddam Hussein was the third anti-christ and the world ended in 1986? Nostradamus admitted near the end of his life that the prophecies could be changed. Who knows? Nostradamus didn't.

Remember Late Great Planet Earthand Hal Lindsey's other best sellers? The world ended in 1987-1997 within two generations of the founding if Israel. The four horses of the Apocalpyse rode in the 1990s and Armegeddon was Desert Storm. Um, wait we're still here… and this definitely isn't the 1000 years of paradise. :)

Every generation has their apocalpyse date and we're still here and I'm still waiting. Though Hal Lindsey does make for good reading though Alex Heard's book is much better.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:33AM
StaceyMontgomery at 5:32AM, Jan. 7, 2009
(offline)
is there some good reason to take seriously the predictions of Nostradamus or the ancient Mayans?

No.

Hey, that was easy!
I've lived through so many end of the world prophecies already that I'm starting to think to think that religious types just make them dishonestly.

As for Y2k…
that was a very real problem - not an end of the world problem, but it could have caused some real confusion. But, because lots of people got the word out and got solutions in place, it was taken care of.

See the difference? Real problems can actually be solved. Fake prophecies just sort of hang there.

But then, when I was a kid, every preacher was explaining that the USSR was DEFINITELY the Beast 666 of revelations! Now they say that it's someone else.

Yawn.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:55PM
ipokino at 11:27AM, Jan. 7, 2009
(offline)
I agree with Stacy…and I've heard it all. In the mental health community its called “Apocalyptic Thinking” and it's generally not considered healthy or part of a mentally balanced life.

Just live your life a day at a time and enjoy as much as you can. Even on the worst day, roses smell sweet and birdssongs are beautiful.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:02PM
kyupol at 2:23PM, Jan. 7, 2009
(online)
Disinformation.

Anyone who puts a date on when something shouldn't really be taken seriously.

That way, it draws attention away from REAL issues like the increasing level of police state (in a scale of 1-10, the police state is 5 or 6 out of 10) in North America, Europe, and other so-called “free nations”.

NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:26PM
bravo1102 at 1:51AM, Jan. 8, 2009
(online)
So you're saying that the spontaneous rises of apocalyptic religions are conspiracies? (Jehovah witnesses for example?)

Religion is a planned conspiracy even in esctactic spontaneous religion? Many apocalyptic religions are very much into conspiracies and see them everywhere so how can they be smokescreens? Your own definition is disproven by what your fellow conspiratorists believe. You can't have it both ways.

Would you please start reading the other side? In most of my posts I cite references that you should take the time out of your schedule and read those who actually conduct completely documented research rather than just cite each other in a never ending circle. Please, kyupol, I worry about you.

Now some may think that I'm straying off topic, but apocalyptic religion cannot be separated from predictions of the apocalypse. The main predictions of the end of the world are from the Bible and often the apocalyptic religions use the secular predictions to buttress Biblical prophecy. (Again see Apocalypse Pretty Soon.)

draconia11 at 6:53AM, Jan. 8, 2009
(offline)
Wasn't the world supposed to have ended a while ago??…..I don't think this stuff is even an ounce true.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:14PM
kyupol at 7:04PM, Jan. 8, 2009
(online)
bravo1102
So you're saying that the spontaneous rises of apocalyptic religions are conspiracies? (Jehovah witnesses for example?)

Religion is a planned conspiracy even in esctactic spontaneous religion? Many apocalyptic religions are very much into conspiracies and see them everywhere so how can they be smokescreens? Your own definition is disproven by what your fellow conspiratorists believe. You can't have it both ways.

Would you please start reading the other side? In most of my posts I cite references that you should take the time out of your schedule and read those who actually conduct completely documented research rather than just cite each other in a never ending circle. Please, kyupol, I worry about you.

To make myself clear, I believe only the provable and obvious conspiracies like the fluoride, GMOs, vaccines, chemtrails, more surveillance, more militarized police, basically everything that relates to the growing global police state (that would manifest itself unless everyone says NO to it).

But the stuff about reptoids, gray aliens, UFOs, and demonic and supernatural involvement in conspiracies, nature of reality, etc, to me its a 50-50 deal. As some of it just sounds too wacky. But then again, I wont be surprised if truth is stranger than fiction.

As for religion, it is a fake one if it has the following symptoms:
- makes ridiculously insane claims (like the one about a meteorite crashing into the sea that was really the spaceship of Jesus Christ).

- does nothing except promoting hate against everyone who doesnt share their interpretation of the bible/koran/torah/whatever religious book. And especially if they point the blame for the world's problems on only one ethnic or religious group.

- calls for submission to the New World Order (I won't name names here but go look it up. Those people are HERETICS and are NOT of the Lord. DO NOT go to their churches).

- puts an exact date on future events. I know that Christianity has the Book of Revelation that talks about the end times. However, the bible says that the Lord will come at the least expected moment. The Lord won't really tell you when he is coming. It could be tomorrow for all I know. The bible doesn't set a specific date on something.

“2For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night.
3For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape.
4But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief.”

(1 Thessalonians 5:2-4)

NOW UPDATING!!!
Senshuu at 8:51PM, Jan. 8, 2009
(offline)
I don't really care when the world ends, and I can't imagine why anyone would.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:27PM
bravo1102 at 2:41AM, Jan. 9, 2009
(online)
kyupol
To make myself clear, I believe only the provable and obvious conspiracies like the fluoride, GMOs, vaccines, chemtrails, more surveillance, more militarized police, basically everything that relates to the growing global police state (that would manifest itself unless everyone says NO to it).

But the stuff about reptoids, gray aliens, UFOs, and demonic and supernatural involvement in conspiracies, nature of reality, etc, to me its a 50-50 deal. As some of it just sounds too wacky. But then again, I wont be surprised if truth is stranger than fiction.

50-50? That proves how credulous you are. Someone who uses the skeptic's toolbox of logical reasoning would dismiss each one as 1 in several million. Might as well play the lottery. ;)

As for chemtrails, fluoride, vaccines etc, each is easily disproven and over turned. Each has an easy short explanation. Just have to read the other side. Chemical composition of jet fuel, the development fo civilian law enforcement out of law enforcement by the military… my clean teeth, the whole disease thing… Yeah I want high infant mortality, so high it skews the average life span 40 years. Nothing is proven and unrelated evidence is strung together and poof!

The same thing leads to apoclyptic beliefs and the COMING END OF ALL TIME.

You do realize that your definition of “real” religions doesn't match Islam or many aspects of Christianity? For the first few centuries I guess Christianity wasn't a “real” religion either. Fundamentalism makes a faith “unreal”

Maybe religion itself is “unreal” and just superstition. Hey, who let Richard Dawkins into the room! :)
ozoneocean at 8:21AM, Jan. 9, 2009
(online)
Hey, apocalypse make a great theme for a significant portion of world “literature” (haha), don't knock it. It's dammed entertaining!

Besides, while the whole world is unlikely to end any time soon, yours' might any second. There's no harm in fantasising about the end of it all, only to live through it unscathed and in so doing enjoy the momentary sense of immortality that brings. :)

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:33PM
kyupol at 6:48PM, Jan. 9, 2009
(online)
Just have to read the other side.

Read:
- Project fot the New American Century
- National Security Study Memorandum 200

That's straight from the horse's mouth.

Someone who uses the skeptic's toolbox of logical reasoning would dismiss each one as 1 in several million

So much for YOU using that. lol you call yourself a “skeptic”? hahaha.

So I suppose that a “skeptic” is somebody who believes everything that the mainstream media and the government says. That everything is fine.

NOW UPDATING!!!
the2ndredbaron at 7:08PM, Jan. 9, 2009
(online)
Hey even if it isn't the end of the world, 2012 is still going to give us all something. And that my friends is a terrible movie.
http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/2012/

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:15PM
Lonnehart at 9:57PM, Jan. 9, 2009
(online)
the2ndredbaron
Hey even if it isn't the end of the world, 2012 is still going to give us all something. And that my friends is a terrible movie.
http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/2012/

Time to stock up my underground bunker full of canned food, fresh livestock, hydrophonic grass and that fermented lager drink a lot of people like so much….
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:38PM
Hawk at 9:58PM, Jan. 9, 2009
(online)
Another impending disaster movie? I guess it will seem silly to us all in 2013 when we're still around. Just like how in 1985 we weren't living in an Orwellian dystopia.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
Faliat at 10:00PM, Jan. 9, 2009
(online)
I think it's not going to happen in 2012.

I didn't freak out on 31/12/99 (Planes and Computers don't have self awareness now, and certainly didn't back then. So it didn't make any sense anyway!), 6/6/06, and I won't freak out when this date occurs.

Mainly because of the number of leap days had in the last 400+ years and a switch from the 355/356 day Julian calendar (It also had leap years) to the 365/366 day Gregorian calendar in the 14th century, the number of missing days are so numerous that it takes YEARS off our current date if we were to re-calculate it! We won't have to worry about it for at least another 40 years at that rate if you really think about it. And if humanity manages to avoid blowing itself up until then, I'll be over or about 60 at best when that day comes. I don't have to worry that much.

If you have to worry about something, worry about the Yellowstone Supervolcano. (Especially you folks from North America and Northern South America.)
That bitch's been long overdue. And she's ready to kill millions and possibly BILLIONS! YAAAAAAAY!!!

Call that jumped up metal rod a knife?
Watch mine go straight through a kevlar table, and if it dunt do the same to a certain gaixan's skull in my immediate vicinity after, I GET A F*****G REFUND! BUKKO, AH?!

- Rekkiy (NerveWire)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM
ozoneocean at 10:39PM, Jan. 9, 2009
(online)
Faliat
numbers
Another reason not to worry about natural disasters based on dates is that numbers are purely arbitrary, and whatever the calender they're based on or when they started or finished is meaningless in terms of the universe and world outside of the petty human cultures that assigns importance to them. :)

Human disasters can occur to a timetable though because people can makes sure that they do.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:33PM
bravo1102 at 5:52AM, Jan. 10, 2009
(online)
Someone
So much for YOU using that. lol you call yourself a “skeptic”? hahaha.

So I suppose that a “skeptic” is somebody who believes everything that the mainstream media and the government says. That everything is fine.

I test the mainstream media too, and they're usually wrong and everything is reduced to five minute blurbs and thirty second sound bites. But keep reading and keep warning us. It may be a million to one but that is more chance than I have of winning the lottery and stranger things have been true.

My favorite Shakespeare quote: “There are more things and Heaven and Earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy”

Human disasters can occur to a timetable though because people can makes sure that they do.

And then they go back and re-write the prophecies so what happened is exactly what was foretold. That way you can have it both ways and no one can say you're wrong. :)

mykill at 10:04PM, Jan. 10, 2009
(online)
Well, as far as I know the Mayan calendar is backed up by making a time progression of the I-Ching, and the date they have in common, I think it's Dec 21, 2012, does have some astronomical curiosity to accompany it.

Is it the end of the world? That's one opinion, the other major category of interpretation, is ‘death’ along the lines of the death tarot card, not literal, but a metaphorical death of an old way of doing things and arguably the new way is positive and radically different.

The Christians are timing in with their apocalytic themes, but those guys have been expecting Christ to come back every ten to hundred years since he was presumed to have lived and died.

I do know one thing for certain - I'm going to throw a really big party!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:09PM
cartoonprofessor at 11:22PM, Jan. 11, 2009
(online)
Actually the world ended some eight years ago.
Since then the surviving members of the human race have been living in cryonic suspension dreaming their reality while the reptilians farm our life force to supply their thriving galactic ‘bottled-life-force’ business… (a bit like Coca Cola but without the sugar).

Shhh… you're not supposed to know…
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:36AM
Walrus at 5:50PM, Jan. 17, 2009
(online)
No one can guess the end of the world. They can try and try again but the world will keep going on until the predetermined day finally arrives.

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:45PM
lefarce at 10:08PM, Jan. 17, 2009
(online)
Every generation has thought it's self to be “the last generation”. However, to rule out the possibility of someone dominating the world or driving us towards total destruction is not unlikely. Hitler did a pretty good job of raising world wide chaos. You even have the former Persian Empire.

One could argue that the world goes through a series of apocalypses, yet recovers each time, refreshing it's self into a new age.

However, everything must and will come to an end, nothing lasts forever. We're still but a dot on world history.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:33PM
Kilre at 11:42PM, Jan. 17, 2009
(online)
Any coming apocalypse will be man-made, produced by people who have too much time on their hands and want their rapture NOW.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:15PM
lefarce at 11:48PM, Jan. 17, 2009
(online)
Kilre
Any coming apocalypse will be man-made, produced by people who have too much time on their hands and want their rapture NOW.

Rapture-as-you-go, when you absolutely cannot wait!

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:33PM
Senshuu at 6:23AM, Jan. 18, 2009
(offline)
Not to say nature can't do a mean number on mankind as it is, no less what it could do if mankind were to completely rape earth of all its resources. :D
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:27PM
Product Placement at 11:07AM, Jan. 18, 2009
(online)
Coveinant
Each time the age on the Mayan calender changed it was a new era in human development (like the last one was 100 years ago, and that was the one of the best and worst times in human history).

Actually the last time it changed was September 18, 1618. That was the start of the 13th cycle.

The reason why everyone's giving so much hoot about the Mayan calender was that there's a story that the gods created a test world. At the end of the 13th cycle they labeled the world a failure, destroyed it and made another. The did this two more times and then created the fourth world which they liked and placed the humans on it.

Now I'm going to give you a link to a page that should tell you how much believe I have in this newest end of the world conspiracy.

http://www.bible.ca/pre-date-setters.htm

I mean with the amount of effort some people put into their end of the world predictions we'd cured cancer and settled Mars by now.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:50PM
anise shaw at 10:31PM, Feb. 2, 2009
(offline)
yah, I wish the world would end in 2012. It would be more interesting than this damn recession.

Perhaps we are already living in post-apocalyptic times and simply are unaware. Who said the apex that ended humanity would be obvious?
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:53AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved