Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Completely coloring in shapes
TraceurAndrew at 11:12PM, June 22, 2010
(online)
So, after I finish drawing my comic into photoshop, I use the magic wand tool to select, lets say, a characters shirt so I can color it in. Only problem is that it doesn't fully select the section, and leaves out the pixels that are part of the line. Once colored, this results in a blue shirt surrounded by a spotty white outline, then the black line. Is there any way around this? Normally, I just click a dozen times with the wand tool, then lasso to clean up a bit, followed by my brush…

If anyone could enlighten me, it would save me so much time when it comes to coloring (Which takes about 1-2 hours with all the little details like this)
http://www.drunkduck.com/The_Traceur/
My Webcomic - Updated as weekly as I can
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:33PM
Hunchdebunch at 1:36AM, June 23, 2010
(online)
At the top toolbar when you're using the magic wand tool, there is a box saying tolerance beside it. Increase that number, and try again. Keep raising the number until you don't get the evil white pixel ring :) I used to have this problem, until I randomly stumbled upon the tolerance setting. Hope this helps!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:51PM
Nako at 4:27AM, June 23, 2010
(online)
Hunchdebunch
At the top toolbar when you're using the magic wand tool, there is a box saying tolerance beside it. Increase that number, and try again. Keep raising the number until you don't get the evil white pixel ring :) I used to have this problem, until I randomly stumbled upon the tolerance setting. Hope this helps!
I was going to suggest this too, but there.

I have problems with the magic wand eating away at my lineart, so I decrease tolerance instead. Yeah, you should increase it. =^_^=
Nya!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:09PM
Jabali at 12:47PM, June 23, 2010
(online)
You can also use a different layer for colors over the line-art layer.
Select with the magic-wand in the line-art what you intend to color go to the “select” menu and choose “modify” and then “expand”.

That would open a little window menu that will let you choose how many pixels you want to expand the selected area depending of the line width choosing 1 to 2 pixels should be fine.

Go to the color layer and fill with the desired color. For better results select “multiply” on the layer menu.

This approach certainly is a bit more complicated that the ones offered before but the time taken doing this approach will be quite handy if you need to re-do any mistake without affecting the line art.

Hope this help :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:05PM
CZweig at 3:00PM, June 23, 2010
(online)
There's all those, but there's also the magnetic and polygonal lasso tools! They're probably a lot more of a hassle to learn to use than increasing tolerance or expanding your selection, but they're all I use and I love them.

With them, you can select exactly what you want selected. Whereas magic wand has potential to bleed or give that jagged halo effect, you can customize what you want selected with lasso tools. I find them quite handy :D Of course, they really only work on layers.

Well, good luck!
|
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:02PM
TraceurAndrew at 9:24PM, June 23, 2010
(online)
Awesome, All these sound amazing. I'm gonna try them all out now…

Lets see…

Tolerance - My tolerance is already at max, no difference from when its at 0. Lets try something else…

Expandin - Oh My Gawd. Worked like a charm. It was absolutely fantastic :D

Thank you so much Jabali, and to everyone else who suggested things :D
http://www.drunkduck.com/The_Traceur/
My Webcomic - Updated as weekly as I can
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:33PM
elektro at 10:00AM, June 25, 2010
(online)
Easiest way: make a layer underneath the lineart layer, and use that new layer for the color. Scribble in as much as you want, then erase the excess.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:21PM
kyupol at 5:44PM, June 25, 2010
(online)
I make a new layer then color with the lasso tools. Rinse and repeat when you want to ad semitones, midtones, highlights, shadows, etc.

I sometimes use airbrush or burn+dodge.
NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:27PM
korosu at 8:35PM, June 27, 2010
(online)
elektro
Easiest way: make a layer underneath the lineart layer, and use that new layer for the color. Scribble in as much as you want, then erase the excess.
Or just set the layer you're coloring on to “Multiply”. Of course, this works the best when you have black outlines; the different layer modes affect colors.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:21PM
ksteak at 10:07PM, June 27, 2010
(online)
You can set expand to a shortcut with actions. Add that to the fact that fill foreground has a shortcut also, then coloring flats becomes a matter of keystrokes.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:24PM
Meechi at 6:56PM, June 30, 2010
(online)
Another tool to consider using instead of the Wand is the Polygonal Lasso tool. You can make tighter selections, but not have the wobbly effect of the regular lasso.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:58PM
face_deleted at 10:14PM, June 30, 2010
(offline)
I have to agree with everyone who suggested the Polygonal Lasso Tool. You get the tightest results with that one. After you've filled in all your flats you can go back and use the Magic Wand Tool to instantly select any area you want by color. And don't forget to use the Shift and Alt keys to add or subtract.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved