Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

computer power
subcultured at 9:15AM, May 17, 2007
(online)
anyone know what computers the proffessional digital artists use?
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:02PM
reconjsh at 11:44AM, May 17, 2007
(online)
mac pro link

I can't quite say what independent artists use… but professionals (as in working for someone) lean towards Mac when given the choice. I don't know if what I do is exactly what you had in mind when you asked this question… but here's my experience.

I've seen a lot of Mac G5s and Mac Pros around. Of course, for 2D digital art (like PS/Painter painting) this computer and most Macs are mega overkill. 10 year old computers can do PS CS3 just fine with only rare lag if given the right amount of RAM.

A lot of design “firms” use Mac/OS because of the OS network resource sharing and workgroup processing that Macs do so well.

And, I think part of it is that Macs ARE works of art themselves… they're very smooth and sexy in design. I'm sure that's a factor too.

Of course, if I'm ever given the choice… I ask for PCs because I can do all the maintenance myself so I don't have to wait for I.T. to come and upgrade a card or fix my email or something stupid. I can do most of this on a Mac however… but I'm just more confident on a PC.

Over the gambit of my experience though, I've seen and used a pretty even split. And it usually came down to which system the company (or a single artist) could afford while still maxing out RAM (2 gigs minimum).

Is this what you meant to have answered?
~jerome~

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:02PM
ozoneocean at 2:45PM, May 17, 2007
(online)
Pro studios tend to get Macs because of a point of tradition really. Plus, you can get a high end system straight out of the box. At any given time you can get PCs made for cheaper with much higher power than a what you can get from Apple, but it's not “out of the box”.
That's the Mac advantage; they're the easy choice. As for the look, well it's the same situation again with PCs: you can make them look like anything, but only if you decide. In all cases Macs take the choices away and make them for you, so they're better for business in that way.

Professionally I've worked with high end PCs, low end PCs, high end Macs and low end Macs. It depends on what the business thinks it needs and can afford. When they've had lower end it's because they're waiting a bit longer until they shell out for an upgrade. When they've been Higher end it's because they've had an upgrade more recently.

As Reconjsh says though, pretty much any decent comp can handle it. And anything you buy now will be low end given enough time anyway.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:27PM
reconjsh at 7:49PM, May 17, 2007
(online)
All good points too.

In fact, I'd buy cheaper and sink that money into a Wacom Cintiq. I'm telling you, Cintiq is the way to go.

Another selling point for Mac is that while arists/designers have high expertise in one part of the process, they lack it in others. Like, perhaps they can make a sweet peice of art of a cool song or something, but they can't make a website or DVD. Mac does all those sorts of things very, very eloguently with a mega intuitive interface. PCs are catching up, but Mac still makes some great DVDs and websites with virtually no prior knowledge.

glenfx at 1:57PM, May 25, 2007
(online)
Someone

A HUGE array of different things…. because…. its simply down to your choice. What ever your choice is, just think that the brand of your computer doesnt make you a better artist.

SO.

Actually, I could have said Mac's because that is apples pitch at things… but true thing is that artists use either Mac's or PC's nowdays

My pitch at things:

.-Macs where a thing for designers because they held the best programs for it at the time (which was a really LONG time ago)… so people still thinks its true.

.-PC's are quite powerfull… much more than macs, at half the price. On top of that, you have a huge array of programs for PC's than the ones you have for Mac's. There are so many apps for PC's that there are a few PC emulators for macs ^^
mouse with three or MORE buttons (making life easyer ^__^)
You can play Games… Just recently Mac's where able to play a really small range of games.
If you need a new component, you open the case with ease and change or add what you like and/or need.
I work in 3D and animation… and Mac's can't hold the applications for it.
Did I mention the mouse with three or MORE buttons?

What ever your choice is, your only need is RAM… LOTS and LOTS of it.
If you are short on money, or your budget is tight… i DO recomend going for a PC.. but if you do have the budget… go for a Hard core PC. ;)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:37PM
ledpusha at 4:47PM, May 25, 2007
(offline)
Ram is where its at no lie. Photoshop craves it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:30PM
reconjsh at 8:19PM, May 26, 2007
(online)
glenfx
Someone

A HUGE array of different things…. because…. its simply down to your choice. What ever your choice is, just think that the brand of your computer doesnt make you a better artist.

SO.

Actually, I could have said Mac's because that is apples pitch at things… but true thing is that artists use either Mac's or PC's nowdays

My pitch at things:

.-Macs where a thing for designers because they held the best programs for it at the time (which was a really LONG time ago)… so people still thinks its true.

.-PC's are quite powerfull… much more than macs, at half the price. On top of that, you have a huge array of programs for PC's than the ones you have for Mac's. There are so many apps for PC's that there are a few PC emulators for macs ^^
mouse with three or MORE buttons (making life easyer ^__^)
You can play Games… Just recently Mac's where able to play a really small range of games.
If you need a new component, you open the case with ease and change or add what you like and/or need.
I work in 3D and animation… and Mac's can't hold the applications for it.
Did I mention the mouse with three or MORE buttons?

What ever your choice is, your only need is RAM… LOTS and LOTS of it.
If you are short on money, or your budget is tight… i DO recomend going for a PC.. but if you do have the budget… go for a Hard core PC. ;)
People who say things like this haven't actually used Macs and may or may not actually be designers (though I'm not accusing anything of anyone). Macs are choosen for far more than “tradition” or “better marketing”.

As a computer artist, here's why you use Macs: the integrated color sync. Color managment is built into the operating system… “what you see is what you get”. In fact, with Mac monitors the color industry has certified Mac monitors for PROOFING. Something no one else can claim. That means: no need for print proofing with Macs (though we all do it still anyways).

Plus, some Mac programs have network resource sharing built in (as I've mentioned). Top all this with an elegant design and resources being used to their fullest… ALL RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX and you've got a system far superior to PCs.

In order for me (and anyone else) to get Windows/PCs to do what Macs can, it takes ALOT of skill and know-how to calibrate everything so perfectly that Macs “just do”.

EDIT1: not to mention again “iLife”… which makes all those other artsy things that not all artists can do so, SO, SO easy. (like DVD authoring, web design, etc - all things that a self-promoted artist needs to do but may not have the training for)

EDIT2: PCs win on price. But that's it. If you have the money, and the patience to learn something new… Macs a great bet. Of course, I know an ass-ton about all this art crap on PCs, so I personally opt for more power for my $… but I STILL have a Mac. Generally I leap frog between Mac and PC when I upgrade.

EDIT3: Take all this from someone who is an ACE (Adobe Certified Expert) in Photoshop and InDesign and has a college education in graphic design and many years in the real work world :P
glenfx at 1:34AM, May 27, 2007
(online)
Uhm, I dont want to sound arogant.. but i have two degrees in illustration, and i come from a wide artistic comunity, so im not your regular fan boy :B.

Ive also used Macs, yet i dont own any because they are quite limited in many aspects and i can ashure you… they are not better than PC's because of huge limitations.

About the monitors… well, there is the SONY line which is the best there is in calibrated monitors, and for 20$ you can get a Calibrator which does amazing calibrations on the crapiest of monitors (its a simple gadget BTW)

Someone
Plus, some Mac programs have network resource sharing built in (as I've mentioned). Top all this with an elegant design and resources being used to their fullest… ALL RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX

Who said PC's didn't have that?? :nerd:

Someone
In order for me (and anyone else) to get Windows/PCs to do what Macs can, it takes ALOT of skill

Not true ^__^, actually PC's have gotten Much better over the years, so as i said, that mistysism mac's had is no longer true.
reconjsh at 5:39AM, May 27, 2007
(online)
Like I said, I wasn't accusing anyone of anything. But, your posts have read like someone who doesn't actually know why Macs are great. You may still come to the conclusion PCs are better… that's fine, I suppose. But Macs do alot of things artists need to do better. This is clear.

As I've stated, however… Macs do all that right out of the box. And without complete OS calibration in everything, those Sony monitors only help; not solve. Because you still have printer profiles… and PS might not be using the right profiles, etc etc. The entire work flow is covered by precise, industry approved color calibration for proofing.

As I've stated, that CAN be achived in PCs, but not without some serious know-how.

Yes, PCs can share resources… but again, Macs just do it. Unless a user disables it on Macs, if a program sees another computer on the Network with available resources, BOOM - it shares them. And it does all this seamlessly… so if somone hops on that station, BOOM, it stops sharing those resources and that station experiences no lag.

PCs HAVE gotten “better”… I agree with you. And, as I've said… for MY buck, I go PC often.

BUT…
'glenfx'
Ive also used Macs, yet i dont own any because they are quite limited in many aspects and i can ashure you… they are not better than PC's because of huge limitations.
What limitations? New Macs can run Windows fully… it's no longer emulated. So you get all the tweaked performance of a Mac, all the OSX performance, calibration, sharing, and ease but you can also run Windows exactly (if not better) as any PC. Of course, I'd argue that OSX/Macs weren't limited prior to fully using Windows anyways. I don't see any limitations.

Like I've said… it's not some marketing scam or lie that keeps Mac consistantly at the finger tips of the top renders, sound engineers, artists, designers, and film makers' studios… it's the fact that Macs are sweet.

And, because I know the author of this thread… I'd suggest Macs if he can afford it… but PCs if he can't and just pimp RAM (Like I said in my first post).

subcultured at 12:54PM, May 27, 2007
(online)
i've been looking at the quad processor and a mother board that you can have 2 video cards working together. i'm still having a hard time switching from pc to mac. are pro macs sold in stores or is it all online ordered.

because i saw this PC at best buy and i like to see the product before buying it.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8335839&st=quad&type=product&id=1175389058421
J
reconjsh at 2:18PM, May 27, 2007
(online)
subcultured
i've been looking at the quad processor and a mother board that you can have 2 video cards working together. i'm still having a hard time switching from pc to mac. are pro macs sold in stores or is it all online ordered.

because i saw this PC at best buy and i like to see the product before buying it.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8335839&st=quad&type=product&id=1175389058421
If you have a “Comp USA” nearby, they always have all the Macs for trying out. Also, there's ALOT of Apple Stores now.

I'd seriously suggest building your own PC if you have that much to spend. PCs are like lego blocks… just put everything together and turn it on. It's simple and there's tons of internet guides to build your own stuff.

Oh, and PC to Mac transition is mega simple too. Seriously, Macs “just work”. You don't need to much maintanence at all (like PCs) and hardware upgrades are easy too now that everything is Intel.

Let me know if I can help.
subcultured at 3:19PM, May 27, 2007
(online)
i think i found a better and cheaper one than the best buy one
http://www.alienware.com/product_detail_pages/Area-51_7500/area-51_overview.aspx?SysCode=PC-AREA51-7500-R5&SubCode=SKU-DEFAULT
J
ozoneocean at 4:40PM, May 27, 2007
(online)
subcultured
i think i found a better and cheaper one than the best buy one
Alienware link
Perhaps not Sub: Alienware costs of extras.
Seems they want to get you in by claiming the base cost for the simplest configuration while talking up big on the extras (even the monitor) that aren't actually included in the initial quoted price.

-edit-
With most of the extras they talk about and picture (but not all that are available), this seems to be closer to the final cost: $5,773.00.
Fine if you can afford it… Jeez, I wouldn't even mind buying that! But I've learned to my cost (pardon the pun), that paying big for the best isn't smart. With the amount that prices drop in only a year of two of the tech being out there's no way it's worth that much in the extra productivity you get by buying it early. You're better of saving the cash and buying mid price tech, it's not worth it just to be ahead of the game for only about 6 months when you'll probably use the system for 3 or 4 years anyway before upgrading again.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:27PM
subcultured at 4:48PM, May 27, 2007
(online)
im not buying any extras…what they qoute me from my configuration is under 3,000
J
Tyro at 8:02PM, May 27, 2007
(offline)
Well, I have no say really having only worked with a moderately powered PC and stuff, I know one thing that you could do. Download Lunix on to it, then you have Lunix power. That makes you leet, and you can run most Windows applications via Wine. And I heard the Lunix also doesn't eat up your RAM as much I think. But that is my two cents.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:35PM
glenfx at 5:26AM, May 28, 2007
(online)
Alienware is quite overpriced, though i would like to have any of their systems.

BTW, if you really have money to spend on amazing equipment.. go with a BOXX. Those are true pro equipment.

Someone
What limitations? New Macs can run Windows fully… it's no longer emulated. So you get all the tweaked performance of a Mac, all the OSX performance, calibration, sharing, and ease but you can also run Windows exactly (if not better) as any PC. Of course, I'd argue that OSX/Macs weren't limited prior to fully using Windows anyways. I don't see any limitations.

New macs have “Intel” motherboards… which makes them basicly overpriced PC's ^__^. (If macs have them now, it means pcs are better, and it means that you now have a PC and not a mac ;) )
The problem with Intel Mac's is that theyr Operative system isnt even fully working yet. My editor bought a “cool” Mac (id admit the monitor is quite enviable 30") but theyr system has been having limitations in use, specially with web, because of the OS, I also gave him an application for image storing designed for storing huge ammounts of images into one easy access file so the hard drives dont defrag.. but coudnt make it run in macs.

While he waits for the new OS, he has to use a PC to sort several things that his mac just cant at the moment, though his mac is his life ^__^ (people likes to suffer i say :) )

Either way ill give a piece of advice that someone gave me a long time ago… Unless you are the end of the pipeline or you are the final responsible of printed media, then save some money and use it where you need it.
Mac because of the monitor?, isnt really a necesity, and bets are that computers for personal use (pro or not) wont be in a networked environment since they will be at a home.
If you trully need those things, then go for it.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved