Media Megaforum

Conan 3D
Genejoke at 11:17PM, May 4, 2011
(online)

I think it looks good, hopefully it has something to back up the action though.
Jason Momoa has the look, anyone who watches Game of thrones will know how imposing he looks as Khal Drogo. Still wary though, the director did the incredibly dull Pathfinder.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:34PM
ozoneocean at 2:00AM, May 5, 2011
(online)
-The costuming etc looks fine.

-The filming techniques with the slowing down of action and acrobatic moves etc sucks like it always does. It was a good gimmick in The Matrix, but misapplied in every single movie since then.

-The actor seems to fit the part ok. He's more American than Arnie, but that's fine since Howard wrote Conan as a very American influenced character. Does he have blue eyes though? It'd be good if he did, since that's a big part of the character's identity, as written.

-Can't say too much about the story since all you get is bits and pieces here… It looks pretty epic though. Out of all the Howard written Conan stories I've read, the epics were the weakest. Conan is an epsiodical character, not an epic one…

-The remark about “no man should have to live in chains” is dubious. What's best about the character is that he's ultimately selfish and self centred. And unlike the Arnie Conan, he's intelligent, cunning, and greedy.

He's NOT meant to be an amazing cartoon super-fighter like people are in crap action films these days either, he's just a decent, clever fighter who's amazingly strong with super endurance- which is a bit more interesting.

-The rock music of course is generic piddle, especially when compared to the piece of art that Basil Poledouris created for the first film.

All in all, it doesn't look toooo horrible. I wonder if I'd have the patience to sit through it?*
*Which is a massive compliment from me since it takes a lot for me to even consider seeing a film and I do consider seeing this.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:38PM
Genejoke at 6:36AM, May 5, 2011
(online)
I'm hoping that music is trailer only, it's a little too reminiscent of Kull the conquerer as it is.

Other aspects you mention, combat… the visual styling I don't mind so long as they don't take it too far.

The character, maybe, I well wait and see. That line does stand out as being a bit out of character.

The story, I agree but hopefully it isn't clash of the titans bad.

Chernobog at 9:34AM, May 5, 2011
(offline)
Hmm, so this is the new Conan? Out of love for the character, I'd see it… I don't think the trailer looks bad. Unfortunately, it doesn't really tell me anything either as it seemed more interested in showing off visuals.

As Ozone said, the costuming looks pretty good. I didn't care for the computerized snakey things, but that opinion's based out of a love for more classical and physical sfx. This doesn't look much different from the schlock on the Sci Fi channel.

Conan is a barbarian themed fantasy; a world based in brutality and mysticism. What I'm seeing looks about right. Rather, it's more Conan himself that has me tilting my head. The actor has the most peculiar angry face I've ever seen… did he take a modeling class from Ming the Merciless? What's with those eyebrows?? The actor doesn't really fit my image of Conan either… maybe Tarzan, but I generally see Conan as being more the rough archetype of a post Cro-Magnon human. Ponderous, slight sloping brow, etc. (And yes, Conan was deceptively quick for his size, that was one of his physical merits.)

As for Conan being a freedom fighter, eh, I could accept it. Ozone is correct in stating the character is fairly selfish… he's not a very clean heroic type by any measure. However, Conan was never really just a thug. He's very willful and takes on a wide assortment of roles in his life ranging from pirate to king. If they made him a good guy here, it's probably out of a marketing strategy or perhaps something played out of his own enslaved origin.

Superficially speaking, I think the actor base for this movie seems too manicured, pasty skinned, and clean. They dress the part of Conan's world, but I don't think the ‘Hollywood face’ normality works.

My only other concern is they don't make this the “10,000 B.C.” the sequel. Conan is Conan.

“You tell yourself to just
enjoy the process,” he added. “That whether you succeed or fail, win or
lose, it will be fine. You pretend to be Zen. You adopt detachment, and
ironic humor, while secretly praying for a miracle.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:41AM
Dark Pascual at 3:52PM, May 11, 2011
(online)
Arnie's Conan The Barbarian is one of my favorite movie of all time and a big influence in my comic writing, but I can accept that what made the movie AWESOME was the music more than anything else.

Granted, James Earl Jones and Max von Sidow performances where brilliant and the action is really good, but I bet that without Basil Poleaduris score, the movie probably wouldn't be as remembered as it is today.

That being said, I want a grim and gritty as well as epic Conan, and not a Lord of the Rings on loincloth.

The movie looks entertaining enough, but the lack of an epic soundtrack and some powerhouse acting from the secondary cast will make it barely better than Conan The Destroyer.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:07PM
Air Raid Robertson at 4:45PM, May 11, 2011
(online)
I can't say that I was ever all that fond of the old Conan movies. To me, the plot, dialogue, and acting seemed bland and dull. The director appeared to be serving up a sword fight or a row of jiggling boobies every five minutes just to make sure that the audience remained awake.

A good recent(ish) example of this are those terrible Mummy movies starring Brendan Frasier. Well, at least the first one. I never bothered with any of the rest.

Of course, I do have a soft spot for the writing of Ron E. Howard. His Conan stuff got pretty repetetive, but there was still a lot of fun material there. I could definitely see it translating into celluloid effectively.

I'm not sure about this trailer though. I might just wait for Netflix…
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:48AM
ozoneocean at 10:24PM, May 11, 2011
(online)
Air Raid Robertson
The director appeared to be serving up a sword fight or a row of jiggling boobies every five minutes just to make sure that the audience remained awake.
WTF? You and I must have seen different films, or you must be remembering wrong. There was never anything approaching a “row of jiggling boobies”.
Yes, I can dimly remember some naked breasts in the movie, but there aren't many at all and certainly they never “jiggle”. The whole thing is done extremely well and situation appropriate.
Unless you're mainly recalling the second film, where Grace Jones's small, flat boobs jiggled a bit, but they were always covered (just). The sword-fighting in THAT particular film was dull, but the first one was very exciting.

Genejoke at 10:38PM, May 11, 2011
(online)
Conan the destroyer was pretty rubbish but the first is excellent.

The bad guy in the new one is the scarred general from Avatar so hopefully he will be pretty good. He was one of the best actors in Avatar.
Abt_Nihil at 7:39AM, May 13, 2011
(offline)
It looks pretty cheesy and/or generic to me… I've been reading the Dark Horse Conan comic books ever since they were relaunched with Kurt Busiek as writer, and I found myself enjoying them immensely. It's probably the most consistently great title from any mainstream publisher. Thus, I ultimately hope that the movie will do justice to the comic books… but I'm afraid I'll be disappointed and it'll turn out to be just another generic fantasy/action movie.

Also, Jason Momoa doesn't capture the look of Conan as I picture him (my impression being based mostly on the aforementioned comics, which owe a lot to Frank Frazetta's work), but Schwarzenegger did neither, and he did just fine in the first movie. So I'll be on the fence for now.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:45AM
ozoneocean at 8:03AM, May 13, 2011
(online)
Abt_Nihil
Schwarzenegger did neither, and he did just fine in the first movie.
I think Arni was pretty Frazettaish… The main difference between him and the book Conan is the hair- he should've had a “square cut, straight, black mane”.
Thank goodness he didn't though, that would've looked shit. :)
I think Arni has grey eyes too… should've been “volcanic blue”… buuut in the end the first movie was pretty amazing whatever it had or didn't have.
These days where you have a lot more intricate and easy control over that sort of thing though you'd expect them to be more accurate.

—————-
RE- the comics… I dunno man, I've never read them. I know that for the first film, part of the reason it got made at all was that the comic series had kept the Conan name alive and popular, while the original stories had started to fade into history. But for the film itself they just went back and re-read all the Howard stories and based the look on Frazzetta art rather than using the comics for anything.
-For the second film (Destroyer)… I dunno. THAT seemed more comicy, though I know exactly what original Howard stories they took a lot of it from, including at least one King Kull story (Mirrors of Tuzun Thune- the ice castle in the film)

For this new film…Is it using the comics or the original stories?

Abt_Nihil at 11:37AM, May 13, 2011
(offline)
While it's true that the 2nd movie did take elements from various Conan stories, it was the tone that was drastically different, and that's crucial. (Calling that “comicy” is like calling the “Dick Tracy” movie comicy - meaning, it doesn't do justice to most comics that try to be somewhat serious :p) I don't mind if they invent new characters or stories, as long as they fit the mythos. Also, Destroyer was very eclectic in combining these elements, so while on their own they may resemble something from the original stories, the combination didn't really resemble anything I knew.

I felt the first movie also took major liberties, but it captured the general tone. The one big change that changes everything about the character is that Thulsa Doom has such a drastic effect on Conan's life, but it made sense to give Conan this sort of story arc for the movie, and a bit of redemption by defeating Thulsa Doom in the end - effectively taking back his own life. The first movie was also silly/campy in places (which, thankfully, the comics aren't - which doesn't mean that they're not fun!), but I thought the good parts outweighed the bad.

I have no idea whether the new movie follows anything from Robert E. Howard's stories or the comics. (Most of the comics follow REH's stories closely, as far as I can see, so following one would mean following the other as well.)

As for Arnie, you're right… it's mainly that he just has this completely empty gaze. It's like there's nothing at all going on behind his eyes. Conan, as I imagine him, always looks pensive.
“…Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand, a thief, a reaver, a slayer, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet…”
Arnie is simply incapable of portraying someone who'd fit this description :D
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:45AM
ozoneocean at 3:22AM, May 16, 2011
(online)
Abt_Nihil
The first movie was also silly/campy in places
It wasn't.
There are about three moments of comic relief that I can recall (maybe couple with Mako as the Wizard and a reaction shot from Thulsa's henchmen? The moment when they pass out drunk in the tavern?). But it wasn't silly or campy.
I am a huge fan of silly and campy films so I know… :)

Abt_Nihil
Most of the comics follow REH's stories closely, as far as I can see, so following one would mean following the other as well.
From listening to the features on the first film, the original comic artist said they made comics out of all the Howard stories till they ran out and started doing their own. There are also all the ones done by writers like L Sprague DeCamp and Robert Jordan etc. I'm sure they made comics from those too?
I dunno, but I DO know that there is a big difference between the sort of adaptions you have to do to a story to make it work as a comic as opposed to a non illustrated story- as indeed you have to when making a film.

I'm glad they went the way they did with the first film, with the tone of the pre-history story setting, the indomitable character of Conan, and a mixture of Howard's short stories rather than Oliver Stone's original proposal for it which was more like a generic pastiche of a typical Conan fantasy plot… Besides, it would've highlighted the undercurrent of Nietzschian racism and no one needed that

-I like what they did with Thulsa too, and I like how they use him to subvert the Nietzschianisim- He's the ultimate proponent of it and uses Conan as his living example, and yet Conan utterly rejects it.

mlai at 3:35AM, May 16, 2011
(online)
Well, to be fair, the original movie portrayed Conan when he was first starting out. Arnie is basically portraying a “sheltered” boy barely 20 years old. Young Conan's actions in the movie displayed his immaturity and greenhorn status explicitly. You wouldn't expect the “deep pensive gaze” that he would mature into in his later years.

Anyways, the new film's trailer… it looks like crap. Too much clean edited slow-mo action, too much CG, too many clean perfect bodies. In this aspect, new movie is vastly inferior to the old one. Old one had brutal visceral action, “dirty” special FX, prop swords that looked like it'd accidentally cut someone's arm off, sweaty actors with oily smudges and dirty hair and dirt-encrusted furs. That's Conan. This is trying to be 300 + Prince of Persia.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:07PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved