Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Consistency in a comic
PhatScurl at 4:46PM, April 25, 2006
(offline)
Probably my number one problem. I'm curious to know how some of you manage to keep your characters and background looking almost identical in every block. Its like you guys have memorized EVERY detail of your characters, drawn them from EVERY angle, and just plain know the anatomy without fault. What would like to know is does it really take that much patience to do that (if so, how do you go about doing it?) or is actually a trick to it that i don't know about (if there is please tell me!)
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:43PM
ccs1989 at 4:50PM, April 25, 2006
(online)
Draw them. A lot.

As for backgrounds, I keep my backgrounds pretty sophisticated. But usually what you can do with a sophisticated background is do a cool establishing shot and then start to simplify things in the background.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:37AM
Mimarin at 4:58PM, April 25, 2006
(offline)
Having characters who are at most a few vector lines makes it easy, but having a hand in a hand drawn comic consistancy is a big problem particually when my artist has no idea how important consitancy is.

i think you could help yourself by drawing your characters in some pretty standard poses (IE the traditional arms out standing up straight pose) from various angles, note down their items of clothing and any other things they may have on them such as weapons and the like and try drawing them seperatley as well.

bleh character design is the easy part, actual artistic ability is the thing thats difficult, i mean look at me! ive been trying for years but i just cant draw!
Of course you will. All intelligent beings dream. Nobody knows why.

Also, tell random people they are awsome! it helps!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:02PM
Giandroid at 8:55AM, April 26, 2006
(offline)
PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE

Like CCS said, just draw them a lot. I used to be just like you, I always wondered how people could draw so well. There's really no better teacher than yourself. Eventually, drawing your characters will be as easy as spelling a word.

BUT!

You shouldn't just draw them in the same positions every panel. Also practice with camera angles, and dynamics. It looks pretty boring otherwise. What's more exciting, This, which looks almost identical panel to panel, or this, which is filled with action and excitement every panel?

Besides, it'll improve your artistic ability as a whole.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:35PM
anystar at 12:32PM, April 26, 2006
(offline)
definitely in agreement with some of the others :3 practice. Having a detailed character sheet so that you can make sure you got all the minor details drawn properly (tatoos, scars, moles, etc). Drawing from every angle, or at least a good handful of them is incredibly handy as well :3 and makes good practice.
http://www.drunkduck.com/The_Door_in_the_Rock/ >> Fantasy Graphic Novel in Black and White :3
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:54AM
memo333 at 10:28AM, April 27, 2006
(offline)
I practice evert character 4 hours a day….and i enjoy it..no work
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:59PM
blackaby at 8:19AM, April 29, 2006
(offline)
I think it can also help when it comes to actually doing the designs to begin with, making them unique and simple, and then filling in the details. We have a lot of artists who draw ours, but the characters are usually recognisable from artist to artist because of the original designs.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:23AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved