General Discussion

Contest idea?
Tcb at 7:36AM, Feb. 18, 2009
(online)
Is it alright if members hold their own contest? and um like when is drunkducks anniversary???. i woke up outta bed with the awesome idea to design Drunkduck into a cool online webcomic site. but then i sighed and said pointless…* I HAVE NO WAY OF DOING THAT*
and second wouldnt that be a cool anniversary contest like to design a new layout for drunkduck.? I mean there are alot, ALOT of cool artist around..so chances are all of the submissions being really dull are slim? or maybe i am wrong. But i was just browsing and then while writing this post it came clear to me * sighs* doesnt that cost money?and wouldnt that cost a renovation, so the website shut downs for a few weeks * not that bad if u as me, some people can use that to catch up on some updating* and then what if admins and people responsible for the contest get so many submissions *jeez~* well i was sitting here just thinking that drunk ducks homepage could look way cooler. and draw more attention to even NON members ,.Drunkduck: Where webcomics come to life!……jeez~ why do i sound like i am taking over T.T
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:08PM
PIT_FACE at 9:04AM, Feb. 18, 2009
(online)
i doubt that's a good idea. actually if people weren't able to access their comics for a while there'd be an OUTRAGE. this was proven last year when pretty much the exact same thing happened. there was a new site layout and everything went to hell for a little while. it wasnt a good thing.
even if it WAS a voluntary thing this time, a lot of people, including me, would flip out becuase we like to update pretty regularly and get our work out there as much as possible, and draging us down for some people who dont pace themselves right is just lame. also, people have gotten used to the layout. i mean if yer just talking about changing the background color of the page or something then maby, but i doubt anyones gonna be messing with the current arrangement much, especially with the tidal wave of bitch that comes with it.

not saying it was a bad thing to come on here and talk about it. don't think ya knew about what happened or anything.but it just wouldnt be a prudent thing. sometimes simple is the easiest to navigate. i think it's also alot more appealing then the other sites out there.

but it IS okay for people to make contests and community projects and stuff, that's ussually done in the other part of the forum. “networking and community projects”

8D
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:44PM
Tcb at 9:06AM, Feb. 18, 2009
(online)
Oooo that sounds like a tough time then well ok. Thanks i was just wondering say if i like in general wanted to do a contest for my comic and etc.. oooo i am curious to know what happened last year?
PIT_FACE at 9:28AM, Feb. 18, 2009
(online)
well basically from what i remember, there was a big layout change and everyone ended up getting these bugs from it. some comics would switch owners and you couldnt stay logged in and bogus shit like that, basically, NO ONE was having a good time and it lasted for a good while.some members were so disgusted they left “perminantly”. i dont know, im sure some other people can tell it better. i think i was too enraged to store it in my memory properly.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:44PM
Niccea at 9:32AM, Feb. 18, 2009
(online)
Layout changes have a negative connotation for me too. Think smaller.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:12PM
skoolmunkee at 12:05PM, Feb. 18, 2009
(online)
DD has gotten a revamp of some sort every 2-3 years. I think most people are a bit tired of them for all the reasons listed. (Although, if a revamp were properly done, it would have been built on a backup server and transferred over when it was ready- no downtime, but probably lots of bugs still.)

I think the major problems with a DD redesign contest would be:
1. Even if the contest happened and a design was picked, there is no one to actually implement it
2. Any time/money spent on a revamp would be much better spent fixing the bugs and improving the services we have now

If there are to be any dd-wide contests, they would pretty much have to be things that the admins and members can do with the abilities they've got. For example we could have a template design contest- but we wouldn't be able to put them in the templates menu choices because that's site coding, which we can't do. We'd have to put the winners, instructions, and graphics in a forum or something which isn't the best way, but would be the best we could manage.

As PIT_FACE said though, you're free to set up a contest for your own comic.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:42PM
Tcb at 1:24PM, Feb. 18, 2009
(online)
ok! :], jeez~ that did sound like a hard time. weell i understand.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved