Media Megaforum

Controversial Animation?
Eunice P at 7:15AM, April 12, 2007
(offline)
This animation is produced by my country, Malaysia. It's a story about the crusades and the story of this animation is told in the Islamic point of view. I was wondering whether this animation will be considered “controversial” for some countries? ‘_’

http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/W9H8nL8bvC0
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:23PM
ozoneocean at 8:05AM, April 12, 2007
(online)
Yeah, it'll probably be controversial because people are idiots…
But Saladin was a pretty great man and he's acknowledged as an important figure in the west just as much as anywhere else.

As for the depiction, well it's the kind of thing Disney does, nice and emotive and simplified but the Muslims are the good guys for once.

From a historical point of view it is of course very silly: No invading kings were that obese and Saladin was a man of some years when he was a clever, scheming tactician; not a young idealistic fellow. And he's famous for RE-taking the holy lands, not defending the shores from attack: the Crusaders were already there by the time Saladin finally came on the scene to get rid of them. I mean, that's the whole point of his fame! Wouldn't have been so great if he let them have the land to start with before he took it back from them… (if that is what's depicted… That might just be a river crossing?)

But anyway, that's by the by. As I said, it's the kind of Disney way people make cartoons stories everywhere and this seems fine. The models are a bit stylised and smooth, but the action's pretty good! A well done project I'd say. Go Malaysia! Something to be proud of really. World class :)

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:26PM
kingofsnake at 8:08AM, April 12, 2007
(online)
I don't think anyone would find this controversial. Maybe in europe or something, but definately not in america.

People don't usually look back on the crusades fondly. When Christian soldiars tried to overrun a culture because they have different beliefs wasn't exactly the high point in attempting to follow the teachings of Jesus.

Then again, I laugh at abortion jokes, so maybe I'm not the best barometer regarding whats controversial

The animation's not bad though. It's not exactly pixar, but I like how it's a stylistic 3D rather trying to be rigidly human, which is a mistake alot of 3d animation makes

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:16PM
subcultured at 9:21AM, April 12, 2007
(online)
i actuallly like to see all POV of anything. some christians might find it offensive because it's the antichristian religion or teaching muslim to thier flock.

but like anything such as “ivan the terrible” or “ivan the saint” has two POVs. i remember hearing that christian crusaders cleansed (slaughtered) all muslim in his occupation, yet saladin when he occupied gave them a chance to pay him to live…better chance of survival.

BTW people should stop taking sides of stories from the past. the muslims or christians depicted in those movies are long gone. they aren't the same people or situations as today, even if some parts align with what is happening today.

like how bush said “crusade” when he was talking about iraq. just an idiot trying to get people to see it as something holy. yea…killing people. really holy. idiots.
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:02PM
kingofsnake at 9:49AM, April 12, 2007
(online)

Off topic, but I saw “The comedian's of comedy” last night and what sub said reminded me of this.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:16PM
BigFishComic at 12:58PM, April 12, 2007
(offline)
the first six minutes was an amazing example of synergy….geez, the tv show/movie thing is already set to branch into action figures, comics, games, mobile phone stuff?
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:22AM
mlai at 6:35AM, April 13, 2007
(online)
The Crusades was a fantastic period set for drama, adventure, and intrigue. Everything was multi-faceted. To simplify anything for any side is a complete disservice to the true story.

I heavily recommend this book for a preliminary and very readable foray into this history. This is coming from someone who no longer likes to read.

http://www.amazon.com/Dream-Tomb-Robert-Payne/dp/0815410867

Reading this book was 10000x more exciting than that recent Crusades movie with Orlando Bloom in it.

Edit: Watched the clip. OMG ppl actually die in front of the camera. Awesome. That automatically makes the whole thing better than Disney/Pixar, all else being equal (and they're equal, judging by the animation and sound quality).

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:05PM
Eunice P at 7:09AM, April 20, 2007
(offline)
Thanks. My country have some talented 3D animators, but most of the animation companies in my country have restricted budget. And majority of these animators end up working on animation for commercials instead of full length feature film. Then again the 3D animators in my country are greatly inspired by Shriek and Pixar.

As for the animation on the crusade, the story was reseached purely from the Islamic textbooks and history. I guess the animation is most likely geared in favor of Islamic culture. But judging from the recent threats and terrorism on the news, I wouldn't be surprised to see animation such as this gets banned for some countries.

Thanks for the recommendation of the book, mlai. This looks like an interesting novel. Or is it a book of prose?

OzoneOcean: Oh yeah, that looks like a fight across the river. I didn't notice that either. :p
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:23PM
Tantz Aerine at 2:06PM, April 20, 2007
(online)
I am Christian myself, I think no true Christian in their right mind will find this warranting a ban. The Crusades were a stain in the history of Europe and had absolutely nothing to do with religion whatosever (they had everything to do with religiosity, greed, imperialism and the church politics).

This is a great looking animated series, and it still presents things as they should be: invaders-bad, defenders of land under invasion-good.

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:06PM
ccs1989 at 11:34AM, April 21, 2007
(online)
Looks like a cool series. There's some nice animation there.

http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:38AM
snark at 8:51PM, April 24, 2007
(offline)
I had no idea they were making this 0_o Are they showing it on RTM or something? Sorry, haven't really been keeping up with whats happening back home =p
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:49PM
patrickdevine at 3:37PM, May 14, 2007
(online)
I don't think it would be contoversial because even though it's about Saladin, it portrays the European soldiers in a more sensitive light than I'd expect. I hope that this gets an American release eventually!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:41PM
mlai at 3:50PM, May 14, 2007
(online)
@ Eunice:

It is a nonfiction history book, but written in a very readable manner. In fact I'd call it a page-turner.

The Crusades weren't a stain on anything. The standing armies of the Middle Ages were milling around, butchering their own peasants and fighting each other for fun. They were thugs with nothing to do. So the Pope sent them south. In time, they brought back Arabian knowledge, goods, and culture, providing the stimulus for the Renaissance.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:05PM
Roguehill at 11:45AM, May 17, 2007
(offline)
I seem to recall that that Nazis had some really catchy propoganda music and films as well. They even had a Doc Savage-ish pulp hero, “Sun-koh”, who worked at capturing lost secrets from the “dog-like” surrounding races so that he could awaken a vast undersea empire with which to rule the world.

www.ssi-media.com/sunkoh/SunKoh.htm

The Klu-Klux Klan put together a revolutionary (and darned long) movie “Birth of a Nation” about how Clansmen were all actually defending the maidenhood of white, southern women from the depredations of black men.

http://www.filmsite.org/birt.html

Forgive me, but given the tense relations between some european and muslim nations right now, I don't really see this film as being helpful in resolving the crisis.

We all like to make our victories seem “noble” and “just”, but in the end we are just telling ourselves what we want to hear….and perhaps what we want others to hear as well.

My, isn't the animation pretty.

GHOST ZERO
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:09PM
ozoneocean at 12:00PM, May 17, 2007
(online)
Fair enough Rogue, I see your point, but unlike your examples Saladin was a real historical figure who really did help to rid the “holy lands” of the brutal Crusader menace. He's regarded as pretty great and heroic in the East and the west and has been for centuries. These days the Crusaders are widely regarded as being the outright villains in the story of the Middle East ;)

So it's not really a propaganda cartoon so much as a typical cultural take on history for kids. There are distortions there, but the same way there are in all kid's cartoons.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:27PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved