Random Discussion

Cool "Facts"
darrell at 11:56AM, Nov. 23, 2010
(online)
JustBeChaotic
I thought they were a part of the raccoon family.

Genetic studies suggest that the Giant Panda is a true bear and part of the bear “family” but diverged a long time ago. There is no evidence of it being related to raccoons. Yes, I'm grabbing this from Wikipedia but the sited scientific articles can also be found on their page.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_panda#Classification

The Red Panda on the other hand is its own family but is closer to raccoons, skunks, etc.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Panda
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:08PM
AzuJOD at 12:00AM, Nov. 24, 2010
(online)
Here's some facts for you:

Margarine is made from vegetable oil and is artificially coloured yellow, so it looks like butter.

Octopuses have three hearts; two for pumping blood through their gills and for pumping blood around the rest of their body.

They also use their arms when mating; the male fills his third right arm with sperm and inserts it into the female's mantle cavity.

Morphine, opium and heroin are all made from poppies.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:15AM
bravo1102 at 10:46AM, Nov. 24, 2010
(online)
American Buffalo (bison) were once native in every state of the United States.

The reason why chariots predate horseback riding in the ancient world is that originally a horse's back could not sustain the weight of a man. Additionally they weren't tall enough for a human's feet to clear when astride.

So all the pre-human civilization types are riding on horses that didn't exist yet.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:34AM
ozoneocean at 6:23PM, Nov. 24, 2010
(online)
bravo1102
Buffalo were once native in every state of the United States.
What?
When it was connected to India or Africa? ;)

…Lovely big hairy Bison… They look like prehistoric megafuna, you know; all those strange giant mammals like sabre-tooth tigers, mammoths, giant sloths, cave bears, giant apes, marsupial lions…

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:37PM
bravo1102 at 11:49PM, Nov. 29, 2010
(online)
ozoneocean
bravo1102
Buffalo were once native in every state of the United States.
What?
When it was connected to India or Africa? ;)

Try as late as the 17th century. American Buffalo (bison) existed in all thirteen original English colonies when they were settled.

ozoneocean at 12:39AM, Nov. 30, 2010
(online)
bravo1102
Try as late as the 17th century. Buffalo existed in all thirteen original English colonies when they were settled.
Nononono…

Buffalo - native to Africa:

Water buffalo - Native to South Asia

Bison - native to North America

i.e. no buffalo in North America. Sort of like “Indians”, although unlike them the Bison never got “buffalo” as a proper name, only a colloquial one.

bravo1102 at 1:24AM, Nov. 30, 2010
(online)
It's the North American colloquial usage because that's the one that been used in the United States for 400 years going back to John Smith and John White's original descriptions. You go to the Smithsonian and Museum of Natural history and you'll see American Buffalo (American Bison Bovinae Bison Bison

I was reporting from source material from the 17th-18th century talking about Buffalo in Massachusetts and quoting native Americans as walking on buffalo from sea to sea and reports on pre-European America from the quadricentennial of Jamestown.

So I'll go back and put in those parantheses.

KomradeDave at 7:21PM, Dec. 3, 2010
(online)
Bill Murray was partially responsible for Lorenzo Music being replaced on “The Real Ghostbusters.” Music played Murray's character, Peter Venkman. Ironically, Murray's primary complaint with Music playing Venkman was that his Bill Murray impression sounded too much like Garfield.

2012 is a holy year in North Korea because it will mark the 100th anniversary of Kim Il Sung's birth. To say bad things about the year 2012 is counterrevolutionary and is punished with jailtime. This means that the John Cusack movie, ‘2012,’ is banned (those lucky North Koreans).

Alvar Nuñez Cabeza de Vaca and his small party of Spanish survivors were the first Europeans of record to pass through the American southwest and much of northern Mexico. He was shipwrecked in the gulf near the Mississippi and trekked with his companions for 8 years until they reached Mexico city.

25 African Americans were awarded the Medal of Honor for action in the Civil War, 8 During peacetime, and 7 during World War II.

In Batman #1 Hugo Strange uses growth hormone to mutate men into super-strong monsters. Batman destroys them with a machine gun.

Guadalajara is not a Spanish name, it comes from the Arabic ‘Wadi al Hiyara’ meaning ‘River (or Valley) of Stones.’
Handshakes and mustaches are the only ways to know how much you can truly trust a man.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:20PM
itsjustaar at 1:25PM, Dec. 5, 2010
(online)
In a 1986 Playboy interview, Jackie Gleason said that Alan Reed had done voice-overs for Gleason in his early movies, and that he (Gleason) considered suing Hanna-Barbera for copying The Honeymooners but decided to let it pass. According to Henry Corden, who took over as the voice of Fred Flintstone after Alan Reed died, and was a friend of Gleason’s, “Jackie’s lawyers told him that he could probably have The Flintstones pulled right off the air. But they also told him, “Do you want to be known as the guy who yanked Fred Flintstone off the air? The guy who took away a show that so many kids love, and so many parents love, too?”
“Keeping Up with Thursday” - Updated Every 3 Days!
“ZombieToons Must Die” - hiatus. D:
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:05PM
KnaveMurdok at 3:31PM, Dec. 9, 2010
(offline)
If you lose a fight with MARILYN MANSON, you are doomed to BECOME HIM on the night of every FULL MOON.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:19PM
ozoneocean at 1:36AM, Dec. 11, 2010
(online)
KnaveMurdok
If you lose a fight with MARILYN MANSON, you are doomed to BECOME HIM on the night of every FULL MOON.
This is true. I've seen it happen :(

Factoids:

-America was first discovered in 1982. Scientists later used time machine technology to go back in the past and back date it so now you have the country of America as it is today.
The full story is chronicled in the Jethro Tull song “living in the past”

-Jefferson Starship built the city of San Francisco on Rock and Roll. They also invented the radio.

-Bruce Lee was Jackie Chan's dad.

-The secret behind the cool special effects in the film “American Werewolf in London” was that they used a real werewolf.

-The word “Karate” in Japanese means to dash or splash water, or “heavy splash” and often refers to a kind of noodle soup.

-The only known predator of Australian people is the stingray. Stingrays kill over 10,000 Australians every year.

-The female daddy-long-legs spider has the largest penis in all the animal kingdom, but it's so small that no one has ever seen it.

KnaveMurdok at 1:59AM, Dec. 11, 2010
(offline)
if you KILL MARILYN MANSON, you get 30,000 gold pieces, and 450,000 EXPERIENCE POINTS.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:19PM
Faliat at 5:23AM, Jan. 7, 2011
(online)
Raspberries are not berries. But bananas are.

Call that jumped up metal rod a knife?
Watch mine go straight through a kevlar table, and if it dunt do the same to a certain gaixan's skull in my immediate vicinity after, I GET A F*****G REFUND! BUKKO, AH?!

- Rekkiy (NerveWire)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM
bravo1102 at 8:52AM, Jan. 7, 2011
(online)
KnaveMurdok
if you KILL MARILYN MANSON, you get 30,000 gold pieces, and 450,000 EXPERIENCE POINTS.

You cannot kill what is already dead, you can only wait for death itself to die.

ozoneocean
-America was first discovered in 1982. Scientists later used time machine technology to go back in the past and back date it so now you have the country of America as it is today.
The full story is chronicled in the Jethro Tull song “living in the past”

However, the time machine has yet to be invented so we are all living in a present based on a past created in the future.

Factoid:

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure was a documentary film chronicling actual events.

George Carlin really is a time traveler. He didn't die he just returned to Gallifry where he is the only American Time Lord.
Genejoke at 11:49AM, Jan. 7, 2011
(online)
There is a lot of truth in the Harry potter saga, only the names were changed to protect the survivors.

Also contrary to popular belief Marilyn Manson is not dead, he was never alive but created as puppet by a small lonely italian.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:33PM
OnlyFoolsAndVikings at 5:08PM, April 6, 2011
(offline)
-A group of crows is called Murder (SWEET JESUS NO)
-A group of foxes is called a Skulk
-A group of leopards is a Leap
-A group of Badgers is a Sett
-A Zebra is actually black with white stripes, you can tell beacuse the hooves and nose are black
-Alexander the Great was a 5"2 Bisexual who had a crooked neck so he was always looking up to the left of people's shoulders. He had two different coloured eyes, burned down a city because a hooker told him to do it, and had blonde\ hair.
-General Mao had only one ball, (uni-knobular hahaha), and had green teeth because he washed his mouth out with tea every day
-Grigory Rasputin, the Mystic and adviser to Tsar Nicholass II was poisoned with Cyanide and survived, and then shot, several times, and survive, and then he was tied up and through into an icy river to drown, he got out of his bonds, and would have survived… again… except he couldn't get through the ice.
-The bones of the Garfish are green
-Blue lobsters are a genetic mutation, and only one in 2-5 million is blue.
-Yellow lobsters (that's right YELLOW) are an even rarer genetic mutation, and 1 in 30 million lobsters are yellow

yeeeeaaaaaah that's what I can think of from the top of my head, if I wanted to research I'd probably find more.
of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most.
EXCUSE ME WHILE I STROKE MY MOUSTACHE IN A SUGGESTIVE MANNER!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:21PM
jashani at 7:45AM, April 16, 2011
(online)
wanna fact?!? ill give u a fact: I NEED TO POOP!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:07PM
ozoneocean at 8:58AM, April 16, 2011
(online)
jashani
wanna fact?!? ill give u a fact: I NEED TO POOP!!!
Constantly?
Man you must have a digestive system like a sausage maker O_o

Facts about aliens:
- They never landed in Area 51.
- Area 51 isn't really called Area 51.
- Aliens don't abduct or probe people.
- It is amazingly unlikely that real aliens will ever look like “greys” or anything remotely like humans or any animal on this planet: because all life on earth shares the same genetic and evolutionary origin that is absolutely distinct to this planet's chemical make-up and the particular atmospheric and random environmental conditions that caused life to change or “evolve” the way it did over millions of years.
- In a war with aliens there is almost zero chance that humanity could prevail against beings that had THAT advanced an understanding of quantum physics (able to manipulate time, space, gravity, mass), that is almost (not quite) essential to covering the vast gulfs of nothing between the stars and galaxies.
- None of those videos of weird lights in the sky or black and white photos of spaceships are aliens.

:)

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:38PM
BffSatan at 8:30PM, April 16, 2011
(online)
ozoneocean
- In a war with aliens there is almost zero chance that humanity could prevail against beings that had THAT advanced an understanding of quantum physics (able to manipulate time, space, gravity, mass), that is almost (not quite) essential to covering the vast gulfs of nothing between the stars and galaxies.
So you say ozone, so you say.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:21AM
ayesinback at 7:44AM, April 17, 2011
(offline)
BffSatan
Indian Love Call
Hahahahahahaha. I just re-saw that recently!
under new management
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:14AM
bravo1102 at 12:19AM, April 18, 2011
(online)
Area 51 is called Groom Lake and is a wonderful place to go if you like cutting edge military aviation. Area 51 is the map designation for that part of the Southwest from old military maps used because the DoD wasn't telling anyone what the base was actually called unless you were into cutting edge military aviation in which case you knew all about Groom Lake and what flew in and out of there going back into the 1950s. The old radio handle for Groom Lake was “Dreamland”.

The chemistry of life is probably universal but the paths of evolution aren't so just because uprighe hairless apes ended up the intelligent species here doesn't mean that anything resembling that will evolve anywhere else. That being said there may only be so many ways to engineer a workable technology-using species. Every time you reinvent the wheel it's still going to be round. So every time evolution comes up with an intelligent species they could all end up having the same body plan.

The traditional image of the Grey first appears with the abduction of Betty and Barney Hill. However this occured during what could be considered the golden age of television science fiction. Betty Hill's drawings and descriptions match aliens depicted on the show Outer Limits which aired several weeks before their incident and which Betty and Barney Hill admitted to being fans of.

Remember that the traditional image of a flying saucer was based on a reporter's misquote of Kenneth Arnold in 1947. His UFOs were sickle shaped and “skipped like a saucer” Remember also that there are plenty of lights in the sky unlike any you've seen before and that sound can bend so the landing lights of that helicopter will be visible whereas its blade wash will not be audible. The more you know the sky the less UFOs you will see because most UFO reports are actually arguments from ignorance.

Someone doesn't know what is out there so they say it must be aliens from the Plaiedes. A great example of this are recent observations with night vision goggles. Some see wars in the heavens between armadas of UFOs. I see birds and bugs as I did for 11 years in the army staring down range at night.

That is not misinformation but evidence. Most UFO reports are eyewitness accounts. The police know that the least dependable evidence in any case is an eyewitness account.
Ally Haert at 3:05PM, April 23, 2011
(online)
The average human walks enough in one lifetime to circle the equator five times!
“No one can go back to start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending,” Maria Ross.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:49AM
ozoneocean at 10:45AM, May 21, 2011
(online)
bravo1102
That being said there may only be so many ways to engineer a workable technology-using species. Every time you reinvent the wheel it's still going to be round. So every time evolution comes up with an intelligent species they could all end up having the same body plan.
As unlikely as a coin landing on its edge every single time you flipped it.
The fact is that even if humanity could traverse the void and visit all those likely “Goldilocks” plants, if we did find any life, none would ever look anything like us… and the chances of it resembling any other examples of modern earth life are just as remote.

- re technology- tech is evolved to suit our needs, not the other way around. If dolphins, chimps or ravens (all considered human-like in intelligence), could work out how to develop their own tech, they'd make it fit their own needs and abilities.

Fact
-Electric guitars were first used and made popular by country and western bands.

Lonnehart at 1:45PM, May 21, 2011
(online)
It's funny how people in America confuse the racoon with the Tanuki (a type of dog I think in Japan). Then again, the Tanuki are racoon dogs…

And because the Tanuki are regarded as a symbol of virility in Japan, they're very often depicted with extremely large… um… “cohones”… or “bullocks”… or “nuts”… I guess there's nothing wrong with calling them giant testes, though… O_O
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:39PM
Ally Haert at 11:01AM, June 1, 2011
(online)
It takes the interaction of no less than 72 muscles to produce human speech. So next time my husband complains that I talk too much, I'm just going to tell him I'm working out. :)
“No one can go back to start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending,” Maria Ross.
Lonnehart at 2:12PM, June 1, 2011
(online)
Heh… I'm sorely tempted to make the joke where you drag your unwilling husband to bed to help you “work out”… certain bedtime activites actually burn a few calories an hour apparently (or so I've read somewhere)… :)
ozoneocean at 4:58AM, June 4, 2011
(online)
Lonnehart
… certain bedtime activites actually burn a few calories an hour apparently (or so I've read somewhere)… :)
I remember watching a show where they'd actually done a scientific study into that- it turned out that sex only typically burned as many calories as it takes to play a leisurely game of golf… so, not too much.

I dunno, you feel tried after but that might be related to other body processes going on…

Lonnehart at 1:55PM, June 4, 2011
(online)
ozoneocean
Lonnehart
… certain bedtime activites actually burn a few calories an hour apparently (or so I've read somewhere)… :)
I remember watching a show where they'd actually done a scientific study into that- it turned out that sex only typically burned as many calories as it takes to play a leisurely game of golf… so, not too much.

I dunno, you feel tried after but that might be related to other body processes going on…

I guess like all other “exercise” it depends on how much effort you put into it… except in this case you could possibly injure your partner… Not that I would know as I've never “slept around”…
Ally Haert at 2:11PM, June 15, 2011
(online)
A group of foxes is either called a “skulk”, an “earth”, or a “troop”. Which just goes to show that the people who come up with these group names are idiots. Obviously, a male fox is awesome and a female fox is awesome and any grouping of several foxes is just a collection of awesome.
ozoneocean at 9:37AM, June 16, 2011
(online)
Ally Haert
and any grouping of several foxes is just a collection of awesome.
That makes perfect sense,, because if you saw a bunch of foxes and someone asked you how many there were you could say; “Aw… some?” :)

A group of men is called a “sausagefest”.
…so what's a group of women?

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved