Media Megaforum

Coraline Movie
Metalbender92 at 5:19PM, Jan. 26, 2009
(offline)
Directed by Henry Selick and based off of the book by Neil Gaiman, Coraline is a story about a girl who lives a boring life and gets no attention from her parents. One day she finds a door that leads to a world exactly like her own but better. Except here, everyone has buttons for eyes…

Almost every piece of animation is done in stop motion in the movie, with incredible results. The movie will be playing in Real 3D, to give a sense of depth to the Other World.

I've been reading the film guide book, and this looks like it's going to be really creepy…

Check it out at coraline.com or watch these videos:
Trailer

The Characters

The Plot
A sketch comic filled with little comedic bundles!
The Meekler Files
Where every day is a hiatus!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:59PM
Mushroomcomix at 6:21PM, Jan. 26, 2009
(offline)
I've read the book and it was excellent can't wait to see the movie!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:09PM
ShinuZero at 7:40PM, Jan. 26, 2009
(online)
Looks to be really creepy and interesting. I can't wait. Tim Burton hasn't really failed me yet.
All Hail Despotize!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:34PM
isukun at 10:14PM, Jan. 26, 2009
(online)
Tim Burton hasn't really failed me yet.

That's nice, but really has nothing to do with this movie.

I usually don't go see movies by myself, but I've been considering doing so with this one. It's not often anymore that you see interesting looking films using traditional media (at least not coming from this country). I also like the designs on the characters a little more than in the Burton films. They seem less wooden and more expressive, which gives them more personality.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:04PM
skoolmunkee at 1:50AM, Jan. 27, 2009
(online)
I've been following Neil Gaiman's blog and of course he's been talking a lot about this movie. There are some really unique and interesting promotions going on and the movie itself looks good. I read the book too long ago to remember it well so the movie will be like watching something completely new and I won't be comparing it to the book. I'm looking forward to it… it doesn't come out in the UK for several months after the US release, though.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:42PM
mechanical_lullaby at 4:48AM, Jan. 27, 2009
(online)
isukun

Yeah, if it did, Johnny Depp would be voicing the little girl.

Anyway, I can't wait for this movie. I mean, who else does cherry blossoms out of popcorn kernels?

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:57PM
Custard Trout at 4:58AM, Jan. 27, 2009
(offline)
mechanical_lullaby
Yeah, if it did, Johnny Depp would be voicing the little girl.

Nah, his talentless wife would do that. Depp would be the cat, I reckon.
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:01PM
Hawk at 9:06AM, Jan. 27, 2009
(online)
I've been watching details on this movie for a while now. I'm definitely interested in seeing it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
Dragonizer at 9:58AM, Jan. 27, 2009
(online)
I need to reread that book, it's been yeeears. I loved the book, but to me… To me, the movie looks terrible, I can't lie.
K.A.L.A.-dan! Morality Pet >:3
The end of time will be the end of guilt.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:16PM
ShinuZero at 10:25AM, Jan. 27, 2009
(online)
isukun

I usually don't go see movies by myself, but I've been considering doing so with this one. It's not often anymore that you see interesting looking films using traditional media (at least not coming from this country). I also like the designs on the characters a little more than in the Burton films. They seem less wooden and more expressive, which gives them more personality.

Heh, my mistake
All Hail Despotize!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:34PM
lba at 11:00AM, Jan. 27, 2009
(online)
An easy mistake. If you're not familiar with the book or the concept it does really look a lot like Tim Burton's work. That might be mostly because everyone just associates him with creepy looking stop motion claymation work.

I'm not too sure I'm all that interested in it myself. For me it just reminds me of old Roald Dahl books like James and the Giant Peach with the whole part about parents who neglect their child. I guess I'm kind of used to the whole, “not everything is right in wonder land” approach.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:29PM
Crazy Dutchman at 11:19AM, Jan. 27, 2009
(offline)
Dragonizer and Iba are the first persons that I've heard who aren't completely positive about this project. Been looking forward to this myself for years now and I think it's going to be awesome. I'm glad so many people think that as well. I also liked the book, lovely stuff.

skoolmunkee
I'm looking forward to it… it doesn't come out in the UK for several months after the US release, though.
Yeah, same here, although somehow the Dutch release will even be sooner than the UK one (that doesn't happen very often). I'll have to wait till the end of April.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:48AM
confusedsoul at 12:11PM, Jan. 28, 2009
(online)
skoolmunkee
I've been following Neil Gaiman's blog and of course he's been talking a lot about this movie. There are some really unique and interesting promotions going on and the movie itself looks good. I read the book too long ago to remember it well so the movie will be like watching something completely new and I won't be comparing it to the book. I'm looking forward to it… it doesn't come out in the UK for several months after the US release, though.

WHAT! When's the movie coming out in the Uk then, does anybody know?
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:44AM
lastcall at 12:56PM, Jan. 28, 2009
(offline)
It's easy to associate Tim Burton with this film, since the ad voiceover guy says “From the director of The Nightmare Before Christmas”…..who I always thought was Tim Burton. But it turns out ol' Tim was simply the writer for that movie. Heck, they even call that movie "Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas." Henry Selick was the director of both Nightmare and Coraline. (shrug) who knew.

I have a feeling this movie will be like Mirrormask….creepily weird and interesting, but too weird for parents to take their kids. I wouldn't take a kid to that movie….those button eyes are scary.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:28PM
Crazy Dutchman at 1:13PM, Jan. 28, 2009
(offline)
I've also heard someone say once that they would never read the Coraline novel to their kids because it would be way too dark for them. Well then I would probably be a very bad parent or something, but I would definatly read Coraline if I was to have children of my own and take them to see this movie. I would have loved stuff like that as a little boy, just as I loved Nightmare Before Christmas. Kids today seem like such babies at times. Sure, they can take loads of cartoon violence, action and are thought about the mean world where popularity is everything very soon, but they seem to be quite easily affraid of magical dark atmospheres. Kids shows and movies hardly have that special feeling although I used to love that.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:48AM
Senshuu at 7:07PM, Feb. 13, 2009
(offline)
I saw this movie in 3D last week. I'm glad my first 3D movie ever was an artistic feat. :D
It was amazing. It was too cute to be scary, though. I neeeeeed to read the book now.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:27PM
Sysli at 1:33PM, Feb. 14, 2009
(online)
Personally I look forward to seeing this, not only because I'm a fan of Gaiman, but also because it's claymation. I really love that style of animation, and I practically don't care what the film's about, if it's claymation I'll see it.

As to the whole “too dark for children” thing, well, I think it's silly. Kids need to see something scary now and then. Sheilding them from things like this is a disservice if you ask me. It's no worse than fairytales* and any kids in my future is going to have this story read out loud as soon as they're old enough. Even if it means I'll have to find a translated version, and I dislike translations with a burning passion if I can read the original.

Anyway, back to the subject. Sadly I'll have to wait a few months and probably have to look far and wide for a version that hasn't been dubbed. Seeing the 3D version isn't even an option as there's only about 3 cinemas in the whole country that can do it, and they're out of reach. But I'm sure that with all the work that's been put into it (just look at the little behind-the-scenes “trailers” here: http://www.coraline.com/) it'll be interesting even in plain old 2D.

Yeah, I'm exited too. Have been so ever since Neil Gaiman started talking about this on his blog. I feel old now.

*Seriously, have you read some of the old ones, They're fantastically creepy.
Because I may as well show a bit of pride. ^___^

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:06PM
lastcall at 4:48PM, Feb. 14, 2009
(offline)
Sysli
Seeing the 3D version isn't even an option as there's only about 3 cinemas in the whole country that can do it, and they're out of reach.

Aw heck, I bet there's more than three 3D cinemas–I'm going to see Coraline tomorrow in my small hodunk town, and they're showing it in 3D. :)
isukun at 7:23PM, Feb. 14, 2009
(online)
The dubbing comment makes me think Sysli probably isn't from the US.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:04PM
lastcall at 2:11PM, Feb. 15, 2009
(offline)
I just saw Coraline and it was pretty damn creepy. The ending, especially, was pretty scary–I still wouldn't recommend it for the kids. If I saw that movie when I was a kid, I would have nightmares for a long time.

Plus there's a scene with two old women who are nearly naked. That alone was creepy. …Especially the big lady with the glitter pasties over her boobs. ;)

But it was neat, the way they filmed it….I thought it was all stop-motion, but it almost looked like stop-motion and computer animation combined (especially when she walked out of the house and the world “dissolved” into emptiness). It's definitely worth seeing in 3D–no stupid 3D gimmicks during the movie. The 3D just made the movie more “tangible,” as if you were a part of the film.
HippieVan at 6:14PM, Feb. 15, 2009
(online)
This movie was worth seeing, and the animation and everything was amazing…but it was definitely not as good as the book. They did that thing that always happens when a book is turned into the movie where the screenwriter or whatever seems to think they know better than the author of the book: it was changed around a fair amount(nothing drastic, just timeline stuff and details, some of which I felt were very good parts of the book), and they actually added an extra character.
I felt like the movie lost the subtlety that the book had. The book was very surreal, creepy in a very “something's just not right” kind of way, whereas the movie was a lot more “in-your-face.”
For instance, there is a moment where she realizes that this “other mother” of hers has button eyes. In the book, it was sort of a moment where she said “her nails were a bit too long, her teeth slightly too large, and in place of eyes, she had black buttons” and it was just creepy that way. But in the movie, the mother rapidly turns around and they zoom into her eyes to make sure we see.
The addition of a little boy who was not in the book was actually not as bad as I thought it would be. But I felt it took away some of the independance that she had in the book that made her such a cool character.

Basically, an awesome movie if you haven't read the book, and still a pretty good movie if you have.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Have a comic milestone, a community project or some comic-related news you’d like to see in
a newspost? Send it to me via PQ or at hippievannews(at)gmail.com!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:49PM
Sysli at 2:03PM, Feb. 16, 2009
(online)
Yep, isukun is right, I'm not from the US.
I'm from Europe. We aren't as far ahead in the whole 3D thing over here, and strangely enought, the only places that show it in tat format isn't nowhere near our capital. If they were there'd be no problems.

Back to the topic. I'm not surprised there's changes Hippie Van, there's just some things that work better in books than on the screen and the other way around. If I remember correctly the “new kid” was added so Coraline wouldn't be running around talking to herself. In the book we follow her, and it's natural that we'd get to know what she's thinking, but most people don't talk out loud to themselves like she'd have to so we could follow the story. Considering that I think it sounds like a good choice, but I can't really comment before I've seen it, and it'll tage ages before it gets here, so don't hold your breath. ;)

I'm pretty sure I'll end up agreeing with Hippie Van in the end.

DRose at 5:59PM, Feb. 16, 2009
(online)
I loved Coraline when I read the book and while the movie isn't as good as the book (no movie is ever as good as the book) it was truly excellent. As much as I love good computer animation I'm so happy to see a different medium in theaters right now.

As has been said the movie changes several things from the book, mostly because it has to. Movies are in many ways a lot less subtle than books and a lot more stuff has to be shown or told.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:17PM
HippieVan at 9:20PM, Feb. 16, 2009
(online)
Sysli
Back to the topic. I'm not surprised there's changes Hippie Van, there's just some things that work better in books than on the screen and the other way around. If I remember correctly the “new kid” was added so Coraline wouldn't be running around talking to herself. In the book we follow her, and it's natural that we'd get to know what she's thinking, but most people don't talk out loud to themselves like she'd have to so we could follow the story. Considering that I think it sounds like a good choice, but I can't really comment before I've seen it, and it'll tage ages before it gets here, so don't hold your breath. ;)

I'm pretty sure I'll end up agreeing with Hippie Van in the end.

I think with hints and the odd remark out loud we could have figured out what she was thinking…but then they would probably have had to market it to an older audience, reducing the amount of people who would see it.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Have a comic milestone, a community project or some comic-related news you’d like to see in
a newspost? Send it to me via PQ or at hippievannews(at)gmail.com!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:49PM
Sysli at 2:03PM, Feb. 19, 2009
(online)
Oh, I agree completely Hippie Van, it could probably have been done. But still, I suspect it could have been done a lot worse too. It IS based on a book meant for kids after all, so there's limits to how subtle hints they could make…
Again, my opinions so far are just based on Neil Gaiman's blog and various trailers. I still haven't seen it like the rest of you, but it sounds like it's a good adaption based on what's been said, so I'll look forward to it.

To tell the truth, I hope a lot of people will see it. Maybe more claymation-movies will be made in the future if it's popular enough, and I'd love to see that. It seems more likely than more movies with marionettes, another style I quite like, but I only know of one movie made that way from the past 10 years.

I'll stop now before I drift too far from the subject.

Hawk at 9:12PM, Feb. 19, 2009
(online)
I saw it last weekend and I really liked it. It's probably a good thing I haven't read the book yet, because like some of the people here I may have been hung up on some of the changes. Still, as I watched the movie, I kept wondering how certain events were handled and explained in the book.

I think in a few places computers were used to aid the visuals… like when the world dissolved, as lastcall mentioned, and the dense ground-covering fog. I'm fine with this, but the artist in me kept trying to guess how they pulled off such spectacular visuals. I hope for an extensive “making of” when this goes to DVD.

Certainly you'd want your kids to be of a certain age before seeing this, though. I could see a three-year-old getting nightmares from this movie. In fact, by the end, the movie seemed to actually be playing out like a nightmare. I sure enjoyed it, though.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved