Random Discussion

cosmic scale
PIT_FACE at 11:54AM, Aug. 8, 2009
(online)
anyone who knows anything about space can tell you things can get frightinly huge. but i think comprehending is different than knowing it. even if we saw this comparison for ourselves, i doubt we'd be able to understand it becuase our brains dont deal with such vast measurements.my stomach drops a little bit when i watch this. check it out. i'll throw down the video and a link for those of you who want to put it on full screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bov9M2gEgcE&feature=fvw

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:45PM
Product Placement at 1:49PM, Aug. 8, 2009
(online)
And the funny thing is, the bigger those stars get, the shorter their lifetime is. You'd think it'd be the other way around because they have so much fuel, right? Well, they definitely have plenty of fuel but this awesome mass also means that they burn it up much faster.

That super star, show at the end, probably has a lifetime that's only a fraction of our Sun.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:51PM
PIT_FACE at 2:48PM, Aug. 8, 2009
(online)
Product Placement
And the funny thing is, the bigger those stars get, the shorter their lifetime is. You'd think it'd be the other way around because they have so much fuel, right? Well, they definitely have plenty of fuel but this awesome mass also means that they burn it up much faster.

That super star, show at the end, probably has a lifetime that's only a fraction of our Sun.
yes, that's right. even our sun's death will be quiet compared to who those go. for how much choas goes on within the sun, it's pretty stable compared to these guys.

this also works the other way arouns, i saw a different video that start soanned out from the solar system,like not to far out, but just enough to see the space between the sun and earth and it zoomed in on earth and it was like falling down a deep hole,the rest of it was really cool becuase it used these cool graffix to show the orbits of some of Nasa's satelites and their weird orbits.i was gonna find it to up it up too, but i got side tracked by somethin.
seventy2 at 3:52PM, Aug. 8, 2009
(online)
it'd be funny if their math is way off. and all these stars are just like super dense, and really tiny.
facara
Running Anew an exercise blog.
I'm gonna love you till the money comes, half of it's gonna be mine someday.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:30PM
Zad at 8:34PM, Aug. 8, 2009
(online)
I saw this in picture form, but it only went to Beetle Juice, and I assumed that was biggest.
I was mindfckd when I saw W Cephei.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:54PM
ozoneocean at 1:18AM, Aug. 9, 2009
(online)
seventy2
it'd be funny if their math is way off. and all these stars are just like super dense, and really tiny.
Like teeny little neutron stars. Those things are amazing :)

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:34PM
ParkerFarker at 6:03AM, Aug. 9, 2009
(online)
Holy ballsacks in my face that's huge. I don't think I can comprehend how massively hugely largely big that last one is.

and this kinda reminds me of when I saw this thing ages ago where these people got little balls to represent all the planets (appropriate scale to each other) in our solar system and then spaced them correctly and it spanned over like 3 kilometres or something. The planets were like little tiny golf balls or something. 3 kilometres.

“We are in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.” - Blackadder
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:39PM
PIT_FACE at 6:47AM, Aug. 9, 2009
(online)
ParkerFarker
Holy ballsacks in my face that's huge. I don't think I can comprehend how massively hugely largely big that last one is.

and this kinda reminds me of when I saw this thing ages ago where these people got little balls to represent all the planets (appropriate scale to each other) in our solar system and then spaced them correctly and it spanned over like 3 kilometres or something. The planets were like little tiny golf balls or something. 3 kilometres.

yeah, we did something like that in high school too. we cut out little peices of paper for all the planets and the sun and each one was cut to a certain scale. the sun was an inch in diameter i think and iforgot about everything else.
anyways, my school was one story and it was a little more then a mile in circumfrence.so we had to take all these planets and the sun and follow these instructions on where to put em,and as much of a bitch of a task THAT was, it was pretty cool to see it in the end.
ParkerFarker at 6:51AM, Aug. 9, 2009
(online)
PIT_FACE
and as much of a bitch of a task THAT was, it was pretty cool to see it in the end.

yeah, it is cool to see. It helps put it in perspective a lot.

And Pluto. It's a planet in my books.

“We are in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.” - Blackadder
bongotezz at 8:29AM, Aug. 9, 2009
(offline)
this one is cool too

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:32AM
PIT_FACE at 10:31AM, Aug. 9, 2009
(online)
ParkerFarker
PIT_FACE
and as much of a bitch of a task THAT was, it was pretty cool to see it in the end.

yeah, it is cool to see. It helps put it in perspective a lot.

And Pluto. It's a planet in my books.

for sure man.

and i gotta kinda smile about it sometimes though. if this 8 planet rule sticks, you know how senial we're gonna sound when we get old? “in my day there were 9 planets, n that's how we liked it!”haha! i suppose what they're really calling em is “dwarf planets” which i dont think is as different as people make it out to be. and then the other part of the arguement is alot of scientists are thinking pluto and these 2 other newly discovered planetary objects are part of the Kuiper Belt,so it makes em more astroid then planet. i dont know. i dont see what big differanceeither label will make for em. i mean the fact is, these things ARE there.we know that.and these two other objects are round and bigger then pluto, so that definatly needs to be explored.either way ya cut it, it's intruiging.

Bongotezz-cool vid man! sums it all up in a neat, quick package.
Product Placement at 12:06PM, Aug. 9, 2009
(online)
I'm having a hard time comprehending the size of the sun as is.

Is it even possible for us to realistically comprehend the size of the Earth as is. Can you honestly say that you know have an accurate feeling of how big it is?
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
ParkerFarker at 6:47PM, Aug. 9, 2009
(online)
PIT_FACE
for sure man.

and i gotta kinda smile about it sometimes though. if this 8 planet rule sticks, you know how senial we're gonna sound when we get old? “in my day there were 9 planets, n that's how we liked it!”haha!

Yeah, I can't wait to tell my children that.

And it is intriguing. You'd think it'd have to be pretty large for us to cal it a planet in the first place, and now there are two larger objects? They're Bug Asteriods I tell you, BUG ASTEROIDS! hmmm, it has just occured to me that you may not have seen Starship Troopers. so Here: http://starshiptroopers.wikia.com/wiki/Bug_Meteor

Product Placement
Is it even possible for us to realistically comprehend the size of the Earth as is. Can you honestly say that you know have an accurate feeling of how big it is?
I'm sure Astronauts and cosmonauts can.

therealtj at 7:20PM, Aug. 10, 2009
(online)
It's a small world, after all…

“The only moral it is possible to draw from this story is that one should never throw the letter Q into a privet bush, but unfortunately there are times when it is unavoidable.”
-Douglas Adams, The Restaurant At the End of the Universe
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:28PM
Freegurt at 12:09PM, Aug. 12, 2009
(online)
I think my head just exploded a bit from that…
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:31PM
PIT_FACE at 9:42AM, Aug. 13, 2009
(online)
here's another one i found that goes beyond the stars to galaxies, and the local group and the virgo cluster and so on. i like the way it sums it up at the end.

Saint at 1:46PM, Aug. 13, 2009
(online)
I think I pooped myself a little.

Want to know how to draw the title character? Visit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvdGYD-fxNk!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:17PM
Product Placement at 2:09PM, Aug. 13, 2009
(online)
My God… It's full of stars!
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Gillespie at 8:38PM, Aug. 13, 2009
(online)
VV Cephei: Fire's orgasm land. No worries about space. THERE'S PLENTY!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:36PM
Zad at 8:56PM, Aug. 15, 2009
(online)
therealtj
It's a small world, after all…
LIES! LIES!
LIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:54PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved