Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Creating a multi hit fight in 1 panel.
JustNoPoint at 9:18PM, July 24, 2007
(online)
kyupol recently brought up an interesting idea.
kyupol
There must be something out there. I've yet to make a fight scene where two combatants are fighting in one panel doing rapid simultaneous attacks.

So far, I've made one attacker and one defender in one panel. Not one panel with both parties doing an attack+attack pattern.

Somebody post me a tutorial or link to a comic who has done that. thanks. :)
I would like other suggestions as well because I will have fights like this later too. Can't have enough feedback, and it may help others ^^

I came up with a few techniques to show this via very rough draft to get the general idea across.

http://www.drunkduck.com/The_Devon_Legacy_Prologue/gfx/fight%20sketches.jpg
1st panel: The two are simply having a slug fest with lines galore and many after image fists and hit sparks. A kinda top view angle is my favorite for this type but an angle looking up would work as well.

You can do a side view or 3 quarter view but that would probably be best from a distance shot. The major con of this is that neither combatant shows any hint of getting hurt in this type of scene.

2nd panel: A big after image pic in the background of the two starting toward each other while in front is the actual contact of the two equally skilled combatants. You could also use this with some of the other panel options I give.

3rd panel: A choreographed fight with just multiple pictures flowing over another going back and forth.

This one is tough cause each action needs to look linked into each other. Again you can combine multiple techniques like this and it's probably the one I would use.

4th panel: Um, simply 1 guy kicking another while being punched… not very rapid succession, I could have done better here =P In retrospect this is exactly the same as panel 2 without the bg image. Mission failed.

5th panel: This one is a split panel showing each person getting hit with multi head views. It shows each characters faces and reactions.
Do like the 1st panel and make multiple hit sparks and fists and lines. May want to have them breaking the split of the panel into each other's areas.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:12PM
mlai at 5:58AM, July 25, 2007
(online)

Like this I suppose?
It's not hard. Just start reading some DBZ manga and you'll have the conventions down quickly. DBZ is the most elementary tutorial. Then you move on to more complicated stuff from other authors.

Mostly, don't bother with American authors. They can draw, they can write, but they don't know jack about action, sorry. The manga authors are unrivaled in terms of action cinematography on paper.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:05PM
JustNoPoint at 6:11AM, July 25, 2007
(online)
Ah the bottom one ROCKS! Why didn't I think of that?

Gotta go download DBZ manga now =P
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:12PM
Kohdok at 7:28AM, July 25, 2007
(online)
@Mlai: It looks like what you've done there is created a bit of a core body pose, then added onto it.

By the way, the younger fighter (Who isn't wearing the mask) Looks so much like Van Fleiheight. Who is that guy?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:20PM
mlai at 2:56PM, July 25, 2007
(online)
Kohdok
@Mlai: It looks like what you've done there is created a bit of a core body pose, then added onto it.
Yeah cuz that's all it is. This type of panel is commonly used (at least in DBZ) just to convey a moment of stalemate exchanges. Typical American comics would convey this type of panel with the 2 figures simply being static, treating the panel as a freeze frame. And it would look ridiculous, mainly because they'd also tack on about 15 minutes worth of dialog into that freeze frame.

By the way, the younger fighter (Who isn't wearing the mask) Looks so much like Van Fleiheight. Who is that guy?
That girl is Darlene Rembrandt, an antagonist character originally from Dead End At 59th Ave, a round robin comic at www.impromanga.com. Basically an asskicking uberbeotch brat.

I don't know who drew this anymore.

Ed Bangalan drew this. Kate is Dead End 59's main heroine, btw.

I liked her a lot, so I took her and threw her into the King of Iron Duck round robin fighting comic tournament. That page in the previous post was 1 of my pages.

Below is Eisu's pages of her. He's good at drawing action, so check out these pages:

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:05PM
Kohdok at 10:33AM, July 29, 2007
(online)
mlai
That girl is Darlene Rembrandt, an antagonist character originally from Dead End At 59th Ave, a round robin comic at www.impromanga.com. Basically an asskicking uberbeotch brat.

Errrm…female? :dizzy:

Whoopsies.

Still, it looks like I was right about the core-body bit. And, yeah, I have seen those pages where a single punch has about ten bubbles of dialog.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:20PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved