Interviews

Creator Interview: heymelby of Chad the Fat Kid!
skoolmunkee at 6:00AM, May 12, 2008
(offline)
Username: heymelby
Comics/Projects: Chad the Fat Kid
In what part of the world do you live: Michigan
Are you single/boyfriend/girlfriend/married: Married
Day job: Art Teacher/ illustrator/ TV Director

OK, for those who don't know the comic, let's have a brief summary of what it's about.

Chad the fat kid is about young kid entering High school, he is overweight and has problems fitting in. He really is an “every” kid. Through Chad everyone who has ever been picked on or felt out of place, had problems at home or struggled with an over active imagination.

Can you tell us a bit about Chad's friends?

Lyle - Chad's best friend since grade school, they have been through thick and thin. Lyle is very poor, his mom is a stripper and he has a mysterious brother who isn't a very good influence.

Florian - Florian and Chad are new friends. Florian is a recluse in his parents basement playing World of Warcraft and other type activities. Florian is “lost” he has rejected his upbringing and is easily influenced by the culture he surrounds himself with. His parents don't have a clue how to help him. He is also the younger brother of Ann and is 1 year ahead of chad.

Tanya - (aka the fat girl) Tanya has a crush on Chad and continues to try and get him to see the beauty that is inside her.

Ann- Senior in high school and captain of the cheerleading squad! Ann took pity on Chad because she has a real heart. She secretly struggles between being a good person and maintaining her image.

Who is Chad's favourite person in the world, and why?

At this stage in is life Chad is to self absorbed to have a mentor or anything like that.

Can we get a laundry list of Chad's problems?

Over weight, poor self image, self centered, unresolved issues with his father, mother is too busy to properly raise him, over active imagination, physically weak, uncoordinated, etc.

Chad seems to embody a whole package of unfortunate traits. Is there a point where you said to yourself, “wait, I have to stop. Chad can't be THAT bad”?

No, he is a tragic character and has many flaws, he is an underdog and a character that many can empathize with and perhaps reflect on their own lives.

How much satisfaction/enjoyment/glee do you get out of making Chad so unlikeable?

None, I usually start with something bad that has happened to me or someone I know and go from there. It's more cathartic than anything.

What is Chad's worst memory?

I can't give away future plot lines.

What is the one thing that Chad would never, ever want anyone to know?

What he does when he is alone in his room.

Who is your least favourite person in the comic, and why is that?

Brad- He's every bully I ever had growing up.

How personal is this comic to you? Is any of this drawn from your own life?

Very, nearly all of it.

In what ways do you think your audience relates to the comic?

Many PQ or comment about how they went through similar situations growing up. They root for him because they have been there.

Why did you decide to make the comic?

I needed a multi dimensional character driven story, I've never tried the “slice of life” bit so it makes a good challenge. How do you address real issues and still be funny.

What would you like to do/ where would you like to go with Chat the Fat Kid?

He could be the next Charlie Brown!

Chad likes to draw his own comics about himself (an idealized version, but still…) Would Chad like the fact that there's a webcomic about him?

No, he'd obsess about being drawn realistically.

Are things going to improve for Chad in the future, or does your comic represent a sort of perpetual gag-a-day hell for him? ;)

No it will not be a gag-a-day hell for him, things will change. Now will they be an improvement, that for the fans to decide for themselves.

If you could give Chad any advice…

Have respect for yourself and learn the value of service, don't be self centered and hung up over every hottie in school.

Anything you want to add?

I'm sure people will be shocked at what I have planned (melodic laughter) for Chad.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:41PM
killersteak at 9:31AM, May 12, 2008
(online)
Didn't you already interview this guy?…
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:15PM
skoolmunkee at 2:19PM, May 12, 2008
(offline)
Sort of, as part of an interview with 4 people. :) I was interested to find out more though so I asked some more questions!
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:41PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon