Networking & Community Projects*

Crimson Dragon Studios
William Acorn at 9:33AM, Jan. 26, 2006
(offline)
Well, here I am, a writer with too many ideas and nary an artist to draw them. Here is a list of all my ideas I want to turn into webcomics:

Desert Rose
Desert Rose is set on the dying world of Tara. Several hundred years ago, Tara was lush and green, but it has wasted away to a desert with several last bastions of life. Over those several hundred years, Leather and Straw, two immortals, have waged an epic war against each other. Neither can live while the other survives, but neither can die.
Five hundred years after the immortals were born, Straw kidnaps a girl named Marie from one of the few villages left, claiming that she is the key to ending their immortality. The boy who’s fallen in love with her, Darik, convinces Leather to bring him along, and as they follow Straw, Darik begins to show some of the abilities that the immortals themselves have. All I’ll say about the ending is that Straw isn’t the clear-cut villain (nor is Leather the clear-cut hero) and it all comes down to a confrontation that nobody expects. For more information (only if you want to draw it) PM me.

City of the Damned
Master thief Cailen Spade never expected that the city of Everton would be overrun by demons, never expected that he (and a band of criminals, outcasts, and refugees) would be the key to saving all their lives—and the rest of the world—from the horde of hellspawn. The group fights their way to the outer limits of the city only to discover that they have a chance to cut off the stream at the source…but this first installment isn’t the end, not by a long shot. For more information (only if you want to draw it) PM me.

Seven Truths
The Gheldan Empire has ruled most of the known world for twenty years, ever since Emperor Gheldan twisted the once-pure Revolution to his own ends. Now a new wave of cruelty and destruction is sweeping through the Empire, led by the seven servants of Gheldan himself looking to destroy the prophesied seven warriors that will bring an end to Gheldan’s rule. That, however, forces the seven to meet, and the adventure begins.
Seven Truths is based off of the idea that there must be counterpoints to the Seven Deadly sins. Those sins are embodied in seven servants of Emperor Gheldan, and the seven counterpoints are embodied in an odd collection of characters (Purity is a foulmouthed old soldier, Courage is his ten-year-old grandson, Nobility is an elven thief). For more information (only if you want to draw it) PM me.

Fire Water Wind Earth
Four Schools of Fighting

This idea I had is based on observations I made of several different fighting styles in popular anime, prompted by Spike Speagel’s comments (in the “Waltz for Venus” episode of Cowboy Bebop) about how to be fluid in a fight. It got me thinking—if Spike is a Water fighter, what would the other three elements be? And so I conceived of four schools of fighting, each based around the attributes of one of the elements.

Water
For an example of a Water fighter, just look at Spike Speagel (Cowboy Bebop). The Water school focuses on smooth, flowing movement, which optimizes the ability to dodge blows and allows massive multi-hit combos. Water fighters can be of any size, weight, or strength, as it isn’t the force of the blow but the way you deliver it that matters. Spike isn’t a True Master, but he’s pretty far along the path; a True Master of Water would probably be Vincent Volaju of the same show (who, despite almost equal size, weight, and strength, thoroughly kicked Spike’s ass in their one major fight.)

Fire
Fire focuses on the exact opposite fighting style of Water. While Water keeps the body loose and flows between blows and stances, Fire focuses on using the body’s tension to deliver blows with far more power than the fighter would otherwise be able to bring to bear. Non-mastery Fire fighting is probably the easiest to master, because it focuses on all-out attack without much else to keep in mind, but a True Master must learn minute control of every part of his body. Sanosuke Sagara and Anji the Destroyer (both of Rurouni Kenshin) are Fire fighters, the latter being the True Master of the two. Fire is often favored by the small and weak, because it allows them to hold their own in a slugfest.

Wind
Wind is the school of the small and quick. It focuses on perfecting one’s speed instead of strength, and using that speed to both rain blows upon one’s opponent and keep them from hurting you. A Wind True Master can often be the most dangerous of the four if for no other reason than he can’t be harmed. I can’t think of a True Master of the Wind school in popular anime; the closest I can come is Kenshin Himura, the title character of his show. Insanely fast and nigh-untouchable, Kenshin was a legend by the time he was fifteen.

Earth
While Wind focuses on not letting your opponent hit you, Earth focuses on not letting your opponent’s blows harm you. Earth Mastery is usually only achieved by large, thickly-built men for the simple reason that they have the best advantage. Earth focuses on achieving the perfect defense. While Wind is all about movement, Earth teaches that excess movement is a waste. Only move when you have to block a blow or deal one yourself, and when you do, deal one as hard as possible. Again, I can’t think of an Earth True Master, but Edward’s father (Cowboy Bebop, Hard Luck Woman episode) is the one who inspired this school. Oddly enough, the school most effective against Earth is Fire—Wind isn’t able to deal any damage, and Water—which relies on keeping one’s enemy off-balance when in close quarters—usually gets knocked on its rear after the first blocked blow, as Spike found out. Fire, which focuses on finding weak spots and pounding the hell out of them with a single blow, has the best chance of penetrating Earth’s defense.

Multi-School
Very few fighters use one school exclusively. Most use one school predominately and shift into the others a bit as they fight. Spike is predominately Water, but he’ll shift over to Fire the moment he spots a weak point. Kenshin primarily uses Wind, but you can spot elements of all three other schools in his fighting style.
The most dangerous fighters are those who master all four schools. The first example that comes to mind is Master Roshi (Dragonball Z). The man is a SHRIMP, and old to boot, but he is, if not the most powerful in his reality, the most skilled fighter. He’s able to not just shift between all four schools but use several at once. Next time you watch him fight, look closely. You’ll see him use blinding speed and suddenly strike right where his opponent is off-guard. He’ll flow like Water and suddenly throw in a trademark Earth block.

This one’s still in the works. There are the four schools of fighting (Fire, Water, Wind, and Earth); there is a character who’s looking to become a True Master of his particular school; there are a number of different people he joins up with along the way.

Well, there you have it—my best ideas, lined up and waiting for artists. Any takers?
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:49PM
MagickLorelai at 10:45AM, Jan. 26, 2006
(offline)
Hmm…These all seem like interesting ideas. If I COULD draw(well enough, I mean, to pull these off), I'd offer my help. The last idea, though, about the schools of fighting, plays a little bit off of stereotypes. Also, a popular nickelodeon show already utilizes this idea(Avatar).

But, on a completely unrelated note, I love Rurouni Kenshin. xD It was the first anime I ever watched, and that was BEFORE Cartoon Network ran and butchered it on their network.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:50PM
William Acorn at 11:28AM, Jan. 26, 2006
(offline)
Why thank you anyways ^_^
Yeah, I watched the entire first two seasons of Kenshin on VHS borrowed from my friend Kenzie. It's awesome, and the third season just doesn't have that.
And yes, Avatar is based on a similar idea, but they use elemental properties (the Fire Nation, for example, can conjure fire). This is based on fighting styles, not magical powers.
remag at 6:05PM, Jan. 26, 2006
(offline)
i like your ideas and im interested but i wouldn't be able to do it as a main artist but im willing to help from time to time if you want
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:04PM
spaz201 at 7:45PM, Jan. 26, 2006
(offline)
I'm really intrested in your “City of the Damned.” But I have nary the time to work on another undertaking by myself, maybe if there was another artist…

By the way, you've got a lot of great Ideas. It be a shame to see them go to waste.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:53PM
MagickLorelai at 9:24PM, Jan. 26, 2006
(offline)
I know what you mean, but they also have unique fighting styles for each “bending” technique. Whereas waterbenders have the whole fluid movement thing going on, the earth nation involves a lot of power and defense techniques, the air nation is…well…Aereal…(XD) and the fire nation…that's harder for me to describe except to resort to stereotypes. It's actually not a bad idea, and really if you want to do it I would LOVE to see it. xD I'm just warning, someone may bring up the comparison otherwise, too.

Yeah, the third season? That was totally made without Watsuki's input, and they skipped over his REAL third arc, which was HIGHLY awesome, because he hadn't finished it yet. The THIRD arc had to do with Enishi's return(and subsequent revenge), and Kenshin telling Kaoru a bit more about his past. g But seasons one and two are awesome, and vastly different in themselves.

…Damn, I watch too much anime.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:50PM
William Acorn at 9:28AM, Jan. 27, 2006
(offline)
Jaded–Got your PM and answered.
Remag and Spaz–Thanks anyways ^_^
Lorelai–Thank you very much ^_^ And I still haven't seen that story arc yet :(
T_K at 10:46AM, Jan. 27, 2006
(offline)
these stories sound very cool and all, I would love to help but I am currently swamped with comics as it is but I might be quitting 2 of them so you might hear from me later…

my comics are:

Master of theft

www.drunkduck.com/Master_of_Theft

Shards of Normality

www.drunkduck.com/Shards_of_Normality

www.drunkduck.com/Online (thats the one I might be quitting)

Grounded
www.drunkduck.com/Grounded (this one aswell)
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:35PM
William Acorn at 11:21AM, Jan. 27, 2006
(offline)
XD You're a very fun artist, and I actually have a superhero story that I was meaning to turn into a comic book instead that might work with your style.
T_K at 11:27AM, Jan. 27, 2006
(offline)
mhm… I'm fun :) I can do serious aswell tho id give you some samples but I havnt done any in a while and I'm really busy today with a school project hehe…
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:35PM
William Acorn at 11:38AM, Jan. 27, 2006
(offline)
That's allright, I'll cook something up for you to do ^_^
Ramirezul at 5:21PM, Jan. 27, 2006
(offline)
Right now I'm teetering on the edge of decison. I'd like to do this but I'm not sure my art is up to par with what you're asking for. Most of the stuff seems pretty epic… but I like epic. Then again, I'm my own worst critic, right? So I figure the best thing to do is see if I'm good enough for you. I can draw pretty well when I really wan't to.

Honestly I'm most interested in the Seven Truths and the one with the theif guy and all them demons and such.

The word of the day is Articulation. :D

If you're still looking. Send me a PM with a script or something and I'll come up with a sample.

~Ramirezul

P.S. What I may or may not lack in skill I make up for in punctuality, commitment and sheer tenacity. Also, bear in mind that, like many things, art improves over time.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:00PM
William Acorn at 11:50AM, Jan. 30, 2006
(offline)
You've been PM'D =P

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon