Random Discussion

Dad gets 25 years for microwaving baby
lastcall at 3:43AM, March 27, 2008
(offline)

Article here

….What a fucked-up man. But sorry, pleading insane just doesn't cut it in this case.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:28PM
ozoneocean at 5:27AM, March 27, 2008
(online)
Maybe he was? A life sentence seems harsh.
I mean the crime sounds horrific, but the injury was minimal and emotional scars on a baby THAT young? Are you F**king kidding me? o_O

She won't even know it happened in a while. Only through second hand knowledge. (people telling her). She'll have more “emotional scars” (and much longer lasting), because of what was done to her stupid farther rather than herself. lol!

It's a horrible thing he did, but it didn't turn out too bad, and perhaps he was indeed insane, why ELSE would anyone do that? I'd have given him 5 years and psychiatric care.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:30PM
7384395948urhfdjfrueruieieueue at 10:32AM, March 27, 2008
(offline)
I think it's all about intention though, Ozone.
i will also like to know you the more
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:07AM
Lonnehart at 12:06PM, March 27, 2008
(online)
sorry about that last post, Ozone… still, it was shocking to find that bit of news while breaking in a new console. O_O
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:38PM
Product Placement at 1:46PM, March 27, 2008
(online)
Well Oz, if you read the entire article, you'd probably noticed that he punched the kid, kept it in a fridge and a safe, before microvaving it.

Article
Ana suffered second- and third-degree burns to her left ear, cheek, hand and shoulder and required two skin grafts after being in the microwave. Part of her left ear had to be amputated.

….

Heather Croxton, Ana's foster mother, testified the little girl's wounds still need to be cleaned every day, and that she screams during the painful process. The little girl, who lives with Croxton and her family in College Station, has physical therapy five days a week.(She's 1 year old at this time)

She will always have scars from these events. I know. A friend of mine got badly scolded when he was 2. He grabbed a pot on a stove and got boiling water over himself. Got bad burns on his chest and sholder. He still has wery obvious scars that are sometimes uncomfortable.

It's also mentioned that he had history of violance and that he's used the exuse of mental instability to get out of trouble before.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:49PM
SarahN at 6:53PM, March 27, 2008
(online)
I also think it's deserving…but I'm a jerk when it comes to this sort of thing. I mean, no I don't think the kid will have major emotional scars/will remember much of anything, probably only frustration from the burns and partly amputated ear…but yeah, it's mainly the whole idea of what he did and the fact that the baby could've died (pretty close to attempted murder), as well as all the other things he was said to have done.

I just don't see how anyone who thinks microwaving a baby is the best idea among all other ideas, really needs to hang out in the real world.

This is the second case of someone microwaving a baby I've heard. Though in the other one, where the mother did it, the baby didn't survive…..

…has anyone ever heard of GIVING UP KIDS FOR ADOPTION IF YOU DON'T WANT THEM?! Christ.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:23PM
rabidmochi at 9:59PM, March 27, 2008
(offline)
Weird. I would have thought that the punch could kill the baby.

Also, the police are just wasting some more space in jail. Instead of arresting some wimp that can't kill a baby with a punch, they should arrest criminals that do more harm.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:57PM
ozoneocean at 2:16AM, March 28, 2008
(online)
If he's crazy Apple, what is the intention?
To kill the thing he thinks is actually a soul sucking demon…. Probably. -_-

No PP, I didn't read about the safe, fridge and punch, but real scars are just that, nothing on the mind. Not the way they meant. His “history” of violence and continued use of the “excuse” sounds more to me like he really IS crazy and needs treatment DESPERATELY! Maybe if he'd have been locked up in a mental institution earlier there would BE a “violent history”.

People just don't think…

Croi Dhubh at 9:46AM, March 28, 2008
(offline)
He isn't crazy, Ozone. He's obviously been judged sane and competent during his crime to stand trial for his actions. There is proof of continued violent child abuse, and he needs to be incarcerated for his crimes.

He knowingly placed a child into the microwave and caused a situation that would have resulted in death. Sounds like a fitting sentence to me. Had the child died, then the death penalty would have been more appropriate.
—–
rabidmochi
Weird. I would have thought that the punch could kill the baby.

Also, the police are just wasting some more space in jail. Instead of arresting some wimp that can't kill a baby with a punch, they should arrest criminals that do more harm.
I have to add, this angers me greatly.

Just remember this statement when you have a baby and someone racks them in the face with a punch. By your statements, if said person doesn't kill your child, the police shouldn't even bother. Never mind the child will have to have all kinds of surgery and physical therapy to recover.

If the police shouldn't get involved, this means you also shouldn't do anything because the person is not a big enough threat to your child.

Fuck it, even put your mother in place of the baby. If someone beats her in the head with a crowbar, but doesn't kill her, then there's no reason to go after the people, right?

You are fail.
Liberate Tutemae Ex Inferis
Moderatio est Figmentum: Educatio est Omnium Efficacissima Forma Rebellionis

http://weblog.xanga.com/CroiDhubh - Home to the “Chuck E. Cheese Terror” stories
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:54AM
Lord Shplane at 7:15AM, March 29, 2008
(offline)
Croi, the only thing I would have changed about your post would be a little “kthxbai” on the end.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:44PM
Product Placement at 11:50AM, March 29, 2008
(online)
While I have to admit that the kid will probably not remember the initial insident it will remember the years of torment during the physical therapy and wound cleaning. Also, don't forget how mean kids are when you go to school. She's gona be singled out and called freak-face or something similar.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
ozoneocean at 3:43PM, March 29, 2008
(online)
No she won't PP because the wounds weren't that bad at all lol!
If someone did that to a kid near me, or my own kid, I'd kill him. But this is a legal process we're talking about here…

Cori, Judged sane? lol! lol! lol! lol!
No, that's not how it works… The way it works is that for various reasons they want to go for a certain conviction and level of punishment so they will block any impediments to that. -if they're able, which they were.

It's why retarded people and children can and have been executed in the US despite rules and guidelines about those things. ;)

SarahN at 4:32PM, March 29, 2008
(online)
ozoneocean
It's why retarded people and children can and have been executed in the US despite rules and guidelines about those things. ;)

Really? I knew about some stupid convictions of kids, but I never knew about ones being executed.

The more you know….
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:23PM
Product Placement at 4:39PM, March 29, 2008
(online)
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Lord Shplane at 11:50AM, March 30, 2008
(offline)
ozoneocean
No she won't PP because the wounds weren't that bad at all lol!
If someone did that to a kid near me, or my own kid, I'd kill him. But this is a legal process we're talking about here…

Cori, Judged sane? lol! lol! lol! lol!
No, that's not how it works… The way it works is that for various reasons they want to go for a certain conviction and level of punishment so they will block any impediments to that. -if they're able, which they were.

… And probably have in other countries too, assuming you're not bullshitting us, which I don't deny is a distinct possibility.
ozoneocean at 1:23AM, March 31, 2008
(online)
Well, the US is known for it. It's one of the problems cited about the capital punishment system there. It's often mentioned that it doesn't tend to happen in other countries. ;)

…Unless you want to think about places like Burma, China, Saudi Arabia, Iran etc. But do you REALLY want to compare the US to them?

Lord Shplane at 3:59AM, March 31, 2008
(offline)
ozoneocean
Well, the US is known for it. It's one of the problems cited about the capital punishment system there. It's often mentioned that it doesn't tend to happen in other countries. ;)

…Unless you want to think about places like Burma, China, Saudi Arabia, Iran etc. But do you REALLY want to compare the US to them?

See, I haven't seen much about this. You're not getting this from a Kyupol-esque crapsite are you?

And honestly, having seen several things about the subject myself, juries are VERY reluctant to give a child the death penalty. I would ASSUME it's the same for retarded people, though I haven't heard much about it.

Quite honestly, it's my understanding that the prosecuting attorney is supposed to judge weather they believe the person to be competent or not, then go for what they think the person deserves. And they CAN'T get that sentence unless the judge and jury find that the person is competent.

Really though, insanity pleas are RARE. It was only like 1% or something the last time I saw the statistics (It was in my Psychology book for schoolz, I believe).
ozoneocean at 7:48AM, March 31, 2008
(online)
…Just because you haven't heard about it Shpalne… -_-
Look man, it happens. I don't even go looking for that info, I NEVER wanted to know it. Jebus, I've heard this for YEARS on news services from around the world listening to the radio, on the TV, on the net just as a matter of course, and I'm here in Australia man. You guys don't tend to learn much that would distress you about your own country do you? :)

Bit like China in that way I suppose. Ha, our news tells us all the naughty things our country does, as well as the good stuff. Makes for more balance and realism.

of course it's not common, but the fact is that it happens. There are even kids 15 or below on life sentences.

Would you ever really think that a lawyer, judge or jury are the best evaluators of sanity? lol!
No, there are people who have that as their job, and to make that evaluation, seriously, takes months, not to mention years of study. What your prosecution wants is the max sentence they can get, your jury is moved by emotion, purely, your judge has his own agenda, but will take views into account.

Lord Shplane at 12:53PM, March 31, 2008
(offline)
ozoneocean
…Just because you haven't heard about it Shpalne… -_-
Look man, it happens. I don't even go looking for that info, I NEVER wanted to know it. Jebus, I've heard this for YEARS on news services from around the world listening to the radio, on the TV, on the net just as a matter of course, and I'm here in Australia man. You guys don't tend to learn much that would distress you about your own country do you? :)

Bit like China in that way I suppose. Ha, our news tells us all the naughty things our country does, as well as the good stuff. Makes for more balance and realism.

of course it's not common, but the fact is that it happens. There are even kids 15 or below on life sentences.

Would you ever really think that a lawyer, judge or jury are the best evaluators of sanity? lol!
No, there are people who have that as their job, and to make that evaluation, seriously, takes months, not to mention years of study. What your prosecution wants is the max sentence they can get, your jury is moved by emotion, purely, your judge has his own agenda, but will take views into account.

I notice that you didn't bring up a source.

Honestly, there ARE times when a 15 year old DESERVES the life sentence. It's not very common, but it DOES happen.

As for who judges what, a psychologist usually IS brought in to testify on the person's mental health when it's brought into question.

The prosecution's job is to get the APPROPRIATE sentence. If they were trying to get the maximum one every time, let me guarantee you that there would be FAR more cases where the death penalty was incurred. Because prosecuting attorney's are generally better lawyers than the ones that people hire for defense.

See, when things like this DO happen, which is fairly rare, it generally makes some pretty big news. It's compelling, so people show it. However, I've only ever seen it mentioned once or twice. The numbers, though they DO exist, quite simply aren't large enough for it to matter.

This is yet ANOTHER case of you being willing to believe whatever negative bullshit is spouted about America because you have a pre-existing prejudice against it for whatever reason. Probably because your country's media gets more viewers when they say something BAD about America than they do when they say something GOOD.

And dammit, I would almost GUARANTEE that similar things occur in other countries as well.
ozoneocean at 5:43PM, March 31, 2008
(online)
Ugh shplane, it's damn common knowledge… it's like asking for a source about China committing human rights abuses. You need a source? CNN, BBC, Deutsche Welle, ABC (Australia), The UN commission on Human rights, Associated Press, Reuters, even silly Wikipedia.

It's not “negative bullshit”, it's simply part of the cold facts of the situation under discussion.

Take a long, hard look at yourself boy… Try and realise that life isn't all about the perfect myths we make about ourselves. Life isn't fair and everyone can be a bad guy. Step out of your ultra patriotic fantasy world for a moment and see things how they really are.

Exzachly at 5:49PM, March 31, 2008
(online)
Only those considered “adults” under the legal system can be executed (due to a recent, I think 2002 supreme court decision), however states are free to choose at what age residents become “adults” before the court. Most states choose 18 but some go as low as 16. Here in Texas executing 17 year olds is not even news worthy. Judges order executions constantly because in Texas judges are elected and don't want to seem “soft of crime” to potential voters.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM
mishi_hime at 6:40AM, April 1, 2008
(offline)
I say he gets a life sentence …….to a mental institution. if he keeps claiming insane, well treat him as such. 25 for physically abusing a child…? Are you kidding me, that's light. And using the ‘baby won’t remember excuse' well that's bullshit.
She will probably be affected in some way, subconscious or otherwise.
Seriously I don't want a guy like that out ever on the streets, he's an endangerment to everyone.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:03PM
ozoneocean at 7:01AM, April 1, 2008
(online)
mishi_hime
And using the ‘baby won’t remember excuse'
That's not an excuse… didn't you read the context? That was a response to that idiot idea of “permanent emotional scars”. That's a stupid modern idea and an excuse in of itself for all sorts of things. lol!

It's not entirely real either. Especially at the age that child is. What would you say if when that baby grew up into a young woman, she robbed a bank and her excuse was: “When I was a baby I got punched once and I got a bit of sunburn when dad put me in the microwave. It scarred me for LIFE!!! So let me of, I'm not guilty for what I did. I'm damaged emotionally ok!!”
Yeah…

Product Placement at 12:50PM, April 1, 2008
(online)
A sunburn? A SUNBURN???

I'm sorry but do you know what a third degree burn is?

Wikipedia
First-degree burns are usually limited to redness (erythema), a white plaque and minor pain at the site of injury. These burns only involve the epidermis.

Second-degree burns manifest as erythema with superficial blistering of the skin, and can involve more or less pain depending on the level of nerve involvement. Second-degree burns involve the superficial (papillary) dermis and may also involve the deep (reticular) dermis layer.

Third-degree burns occur when most of the epidermis is lost with damage to underlying ligaments, tendons and muscle. Burn victims will exhibit charring of the skin, and sometimes hard eschars will be present. An eschar is a scab that has separated from the unaffected part of the body. These types of burns are often considered painless, because nerve endings have been destroyed in the burned area. Hair follicles and sweat glands may also be lost due to complete destruction of the dermis. Third degree burns result in scarring and may be fatal if the affected area is significantly large.

I think we also covered the posibility that when they mention emotional scarring they may have been talking about how this will affect the childs upbringing. These scars are PERMANENT - meaning, it will never go away. Like the article says she will see the results of that day every time she looks in a mirror, children will make fun of her, her dating life will be impaired. This is not gona cause her to rob a bank but it's gonna make her life more unplesant then it had to be.

And lets not forget the fact that she could have died. As a matter of fact I'm suprised that she didn't. Microvaves cause the liquids in your food or (in this case) her body to boil. I think that's a level of uncomfortability that we all could do without.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
mishi_hime at 1:31PM, April 1, 2008
(offline)
ozoneocean
It's not entirely real either. Especially at the age that child is. What would you say if when that baby grew up into a young woman, she robbed a bank and her excuse was: “When I was a baby I got punched once and I got a bit of sunburn when dad put me in the microwave. It scarred me for LIFE!!! So let me of, I'm not guilty for what I did. I'm damaged emotionally ok!!”
Yeah…

I didn't mean like that. Maybe she will look at otehr kids and wonder why she doesn't have a father. Maybe the people in her town will gossip in the street. Maybe she doesn't bother looking for a prom date, because she feels ugly inside everytime she looks in the mirror and sees her non existent left ear. Knowing that your parents don't care or even want you is a terrible burden to bear…

Little things like that can add up and make a person generally miserable. I'm not saying one incident would be accountable for all negative things that could happen in the course of one's life. But it certainly could stem from it, with the victim not even realizing it. If you can't understand what i mean…

you lack empathy.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:03PM
Skullbie at 10:28PM, April 1, 2008
(online)

Did yah READ that article? How can you defend that guy? Go become a wallet-sucking parasite- i mean lawyer sheesh.

Someone
Life sentence sought
Galveston County prosecutor Xochitl Vandiver asked jurors to give Mauldin a life sentence because Mauldin had given his daughter a life sentence as well — one of physical and emotional scars.

Mauldin at first told police his daughter had been severely sunburned, later changing his story and saying he had accidentally spilled hot water on her while making coffee.(Sk:Riiiiiight)

Ana suffered second- and third-degree burns to her left ear, cheek, hand and shoulder and required two skin grafts after being in the microwave. Part of her left ear had to be amputated.

"She will always for the rest of her life be reminded just by looking in a mirror," Vandiver said.

Prosecutors said Mauldin was angry that he was in a loveless marriage and took it out on his daughter.(LOL I WONDER WHY SHE DOESNT LOVE YOU!1) Just before putting her in the microwave, Mauldin had punched the baby and put her in the hotel-room safe and refrigerator.

They also said Mauldin had a history of violence and of lying about being mentally ill to get out of trouble.

Heather Croxton, Ana's foster mother, testified the little girl's wounds still need to be cleaned every day, and that she screams during the painful process. The little girl, who lives with Croxton and her family in College Station, has physical therapy five days a week.

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:45PM
ozoneocean at 1:42AM, April 2, 2008
(online)
Product Placement
A sunburn? A SUNBURN???.
That's what I read in the article ;)

It was all MINOR.

Skul- the history itself suggests mental insatiability. Seriously… Doncha think? Man…. it's not hard to work out.

Love the pitiful exaggerations of the injuries. Babies scream when they need their arses wiped. Doesn't leave mental scaring does it?

Reality:
Injury described as “severe sunburn”.

Sorry, but all that, while I wouldn't wish it on someone, is basically nothing.
The people I know who HAVEN'T had injuries equal to or worse than that while growing up I could count on one hand. You guys are coddled…

mechanical_lullaby at 5:54AM, April 2, 2008
(online)
lastcall
Article here

….What a fucked-up man. But sorry, pleading insane just doesn't cut it in this case.

Not to sound weird or anything, but if he went as far as to shove it in the microwave, a safe and various other places– he wasn't trying to kill it. How easy is it to kill a baby? Very. He was trying to abuse it. He's not crazy, but he should have at least taken responsibility instead of pleading insanity.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:57PM
ozoneocean at 6:02AM, April 2, 2008
(online)
I know about a lot of cases of mothers who've done similar things. You can find cases yourself very easily. In most cases people think there's something wrong mentally.

Someone as clearly violently disturbed as this sick guy obviously is not normal. The trouble here is that people are taking court definitions of his mental state, which are based on whatever verdict the prosecution was going for: that has to do with retribution, revenge etc. All well and good, but it's not solving the problem with him, as the continuing history illustrates. ;)

mechanical_lullaby at 6:23AM, April 2, 2008
(online)
ozoneocean
people think there's something wrong mentally.
keyword there.
ozoneocean
Someone as clearly violently disturbed as this sick guy obviously is not normal. The trouble here is that people are taking court definitions of his mental state, which are based on whatever verdict the prosecution was going for: that has to do with retribution, revenge etc. All well and good, but it's not solving the problem with him, as the continuing history illustrates. ;)

The only person who knows if he's really crazy or not is him. A lot of people who are thought to be crazy, as we all know, fall back on insanity because they don't want to take responsibility for their actions, because they are afraid of going to jail or getting the death penalty. Pissed off, sane people do fucked up things.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:57PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved