Random Discussion

Damn those Mad Scientists!
OnlyFoolsAndVikings at 3:38AM, April 18, 2011
(online)
…and their crazy experiments too!

There are many a crazy science experiment that has been preformed, including some really, really strange things. So strange, I'd like to share them with you:

-In order to find out what happens when somebody is hanged, Romanian forensic scientist, Nicolas Minovici, advised an assistant to hang him and some of his collaborators - 12 times.

-This sounds like my kinda experiment: in January 1986, 11 men went to bed in Moscow - and didn't get up for the next 370 days. This was by far the longest bed rest study ever undertaken, and by the end of it, I imagine they were unable to walk.

-Spanish neurologist Jose Delgado from Yale University used a remote control to telecommand a bull during a bull fight in 1964 which probably pissed off the bull even more.

-In 1955 psychiatrists at the Friedmatt Sanatorium and Nursing Home in Basle, Switzerland, were trying to diagnose schizophrenia by looking at webs spun by spiders who were administered urine of schizophrenics.

-What happens if you bring three men together who all think they are Jesus? American psychologist Milton Rokeach tried it. The three Christs of Ypsilanti as they soon became called, lived for two years together in the State Psychiatric Clinic at Ypsilanti near Detroit. Rokeach hoped the confrontation with each other would cure them. But each of them found a perfect reason why the other two were impostors. One of the explanations was disarmingly logical: the two others couldn’t be Jesus because they were self-evidently patients in a psychiatric institution.

This is just a small list of some crazy experiments, and there are thousands of more very crazy experiments out there that were done in order to learn more about our world (though how giving an Elephent Acid explains anything we'll probably never know) Whose got some more odd, bizzard, strange, outrageous experiments to add to this fantastic list?

of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most.
EXCUSE ME WHILE I STROKE MY MOUSTACHE IN A SUGGESTIVE MANNER!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:21PM
rokulily at 9:55AM, April 19, 2011
(online)
does glow in the dark monkeys count?

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:10PM
OnlyFoolsAndVikings at 3:18AM, April 20, 2011
(online)
rokulily
does glow in the dark monkeys count?

They most certainly do. :D
BffSatan at 6:47AM, April 20, 2011
(online)
Giving spiders drugs is pretty crazy.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:21AM
rokulily at 1:33PM, April 21, 2011
(online)
gut feelings are pretty scientific, also you are more bacteria then human

OnlyFoolsAndVikings at 4:34PM, April 21, 2011
(online)
BffSatan

Elephents on acid is pretty crazy too.
blindsk at 7:31PM, April 21, 2011
(online)
Quite a few crazy experiments listed here. Wonder if I can add the professor I'm working for and his crazy ideas?

Actually, I have something amusing. Speaking of being mad (not in the scheming sense), Anders Celsius, the one who developed the Celsius temperature scale, originally placed 100 at freezing and 0 at boiling. Where's the logic in that? Anyway, for several years it remained that backwards scale until one of his apprentices decided to simply flip the scale thus ending further headaches. Hope that was worthy of this topic. :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:25AM
OnlyFoolsAndVikings at 7:49PM, April 21, 2011
(online)
Blindsk
Hope that was worthy of this topic.

it was indeed, I never knew that hahaha.

I now present the innocent minds WITH THIS, THE AMAZING TWO HEADED DOG.

In 1954 Vladimir Demikhov shocked the world by unveiling a surgically created monstrosity: A two-headed dog. He created the creature in a lab on the outskirts of Moscow by grafting the head, shoulders, and front legs of a puppy onto the neck of a mature German shepherd.

Over the course of the next fifteen years, Demikhov created a total of twenty of his two-headed dogs. None of them lived very long, as they inevitably succumbed to problems of tissue rejection. The record was a month.

*sings* When you're feelin' down, get rid of that frown, and go surgically join two dogs to-gether! :D
BffSatan at 1:21AM, April 22, 2011
(online)
OnlyFoolsAndVikings
BffSatan

Elephents on acid is pretty crazy too.
Yeah, a whole lotta weird experiments involving LSD were done around that time.
http://analogik.com/acid_trip/
ozoneocean at 2:44AM, April 22, 2011
(online)
I saw that dog head thing a while ago. It's so unethical and horrible. >.<
——————

Thomas Edison once publicly electrocuted an elephant. Seriously.
It was to show that DC wasn't safe… (or was that AC?). Anyway, it was a dirty deed done dirt cheap. :(
…In a big water trough.

-It was a circus that elephant had been convicted of murder after killing some people in the circus. It had gone a bit crazy and couldn't be safely controlled anymore.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:38PM
BffSatan at 2:59AM, April 22, 2011
(online)
ozoneocean
Thomas Edison was a jackass. His arch nemesis Nikola Tesla was a way radder dude.

Also, Nikola Tesla is the king of mad science, he planned to transmit energy by firing it through the air rather than using cables. Also, before he died he was working on a death ray.
rokulily at 9:16PM, April 22, 2011
(online)
everyone should know that telsa was the bestest.

so… 3d without the glasses?
(someone showed this to me and i stoles it before they could post)

blindsk at 12:22AM, April 23, 2011
(online)
rokulily
everyone should know that telsa was the bestest.

Well, I don't know! I kinda like Faraday. I mean, a guy that can come up with physical laws without using any sort of math is pretty cool in my book.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:25AM
OnlyFoolsAndVikings at 10:31PM, April 23, 2011
(online)
ozoneocean
It was to show that DC wasn't safe… (or was that AC?). Anyway, it was a dirty deed done dirt cheap. :(

Most of the experiments from that era involving living creatures are, unfortunately :( Thankfully, animal testing is loosing strength these days.

but yeah, Thomas Eddison was a very large pain in the arse to life in general with his use of DC current, he suggested it be used in the execution of prisoners, and practiced it, (the electric chair) from memory, and apparently that's one of the only uses of DC current.

and responding to Tesla fans: Tesla was epic mad genious, any man who believed that he could split the earth in two by applying certain amounts of pressure to the earth's crust was a freakin' GENIUS. Plus, he created the Tesla Coil, the very IMAGE of mad scientists.

MAD, THEY CALLED ME MAD! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Product Placement at 11:46AM, April 25, 2011
(online)
ozoneocean
OnlyFoolsAndVikings
but yeah, Thomas Eddison was a very large pain in the arse to life in general with his use of DC current, he suggested it be used in the execution of prisoners, and practiced it, (the electric chair) from memory, and apparently that's one of the only uses of DC current.
Actually. Edison claimed that AC current was more dangerous than DC current. His public stunts of electrocuting animals were done with AC current and when he was asked to help develop electrocution as a form of execution, he suggested the use of AC current as well. These were attempts on his behalf to produce unfavorable opinions on AC current as an unsafe and dangerous power distribution, since he was backing the development of DC current.

Edison was a tool of a massive caliber. The man knew his way around the then flawed patenting system and most of his works were improvements on existing technologies that he then claimed full credit for. Many of his original works were collaboration projects that he claimed full rights on and pushed others to the side. He frequently traveled to Europe to see what was being developed there and returned to the States with those same ideas.

And he didn't stop at stealing just technology.

Georges Méliès, a French filmmaker made a science fiction movie about a journey to the moon. It's in the public domain now, due to being over 100 years old and its copyrights have expired so you can enjoy a 100% legal copy of it right here and now.

Anyways the film was shown in Europe with limited success, due to the cinema market being less developed than the American one but that success convinced Méliès that the film was going to sell in the states. He was right. The movie was a huge hit but Méliès didn't see a dime of that money unfortunately. Film technicians, working under Edison, stole copies of the film and sent it ahead to the states, where he copied it and distributed himself, making him tons of money. Méliès became bankrupt few years later.

P.S. I really wish I could think of some awesome mad scientists examples but the only one I could think off was stolen by a certain somebody. >: /
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:53PM
OnlyFoolsAndVikings at 6:04PM, April 25, 2011
(online)
WHOOPS, hahaha it WAS AC current, well that'll teach me to post before I research!

George Méliès! :D he was great, I think he worked as a magician for a period of time using films as part of his acts. Not to certain on that of course, but I'm lazy and can't be bothered clicking Google.

Awww don't feel bad, Testla was a mad genious and all, but there are plenty more out there. Like, what about this guy, Stubbins Ffirth: The Yellow Fever Vomit-Drinking Doctor, I mean, with a title like that, you know he's gotta be interesting.

“During the 1800s, a doctor training in Philadelphia, Stubbins Ffirth, formed the hypothesis that yellow fever was not an infectious disease, and proceeded to test it on himself. He first poured infected vomit into open wounds, then drank the vomit. He did not fall ill, but not because yellow fever is not infectious: it was later discovered that it must be injected directly into the bloodstream, typically through the bite of a mosquito.”

http://www.oddee.com/item_96484.aspx <—there's a list of frankly mad and evil scientists :/

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved