Media Megaforum

DBZ remastered. thoughts?
alexhatzia at 11:57AM, Sept. 18, 2007
(online)
ok so a lot of you have seen the new dragonballz boxsets and they're coming out pretty fast. the whole thing is redubbed and fully remastered. finally funimation is making up for what they screwed up. what i thought was a bit strange though is that they changed the format to widescreen, which is unusual because there isn't a cartoon i can think of that was ever put on tv in widescreen. so obviously some of the shots are a bit…wierd (or so i hear). another big plus for me (and probably the only reason i'm considering purchasing them lol) is that they keep the original japanese score with the dub version! aaah it's so cool!

and with that funimation obtained the rights of one piece, and they promise to keep the music and stay close to the original script. so this is big. it's about time they got things right haha.

last edited on July 14, 2011 10:48AM
ccs1989 at 12:38PM, Sept. 18, 2007
(online)
They explained all about the widescreen in the newest Shonen Jump issue.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:39AM
Inkmonkey at 12:58PM, Sept. 18, 2007
(online)
I'm not nearly as into DBZ as I was when I was younger, but still, I think it's great that it's getting released uncut and basically proper. Especially since some of the censoring in the earlier seasons was just downright embarassing. I remember a popular one being the bad guy levelling a city, then commenting off-screen that the buildings were empty, or all the people escaped, etc.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:00PM
Bekefel at 3:14PM, Sept. 18, 2007
(offline)
Inkmonkey
I'm not nearly as into DBZ as I was when I was younger, but still, I think it's great that it's getting released uncut and basically proper. Especially since some of the censoring in the earlier seasons was just downright embarassing. I remember a popular one being the bad guy levelling a city, then commenting off-screen that the buildings were empty, or all the people escaped, etc.

Or how the word damn was not allowed to be said.

Dragonball Z is secretly full of pain and perversion, as in Master Rochi trying to rape girls and Frieza ripping a guys arm off.

I was perfectly prepared for that in my youth.
Please, please, you give me too little credit.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:18AM
isukun at 4:14PM, Sept. 18, 2007
(online)
They explained all about the widescreen in the newest Shonen Jump issue.

I don't read shonen jump, but if you're talking about Funimation's “overscan” explanation, it's a load of BS. They DO crop the picture and noticably so.

http://forums.dbzsc.com/showthread.php?t=28280

Unfortunately, I can't find the comparrison shots between Funimation's remastered version and the Japanese remastered box set which not only has the “additional” footage to the sides, but also keeps the 4:3 ratio and adds “additional” footage to the top and bottom AND they clean up the garbage at the top and bottom of the frames which Funimation just cropped. Unfotunately, Funimation seems to think it's capable of doing a better job than the original publisher. On the plus side, though, the sets are cheap and do have all the episodes in the original order and with the Japanese soundtrack (although that's a little spotty in places, too).
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:04PM
jalford at 2:41AM, Sept. 19, 2007
(online)
You'd think that in the remastered edition they'd explain why Frieza says Goku has 5 minutes until Planet Namek blows up, when in reality that magical 5 minutes went on for another 20 freakin' episodes!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
Puff_Of_Smoke at 9:30PM, Sept. 23, 2007
(offline)
jalford
You'd think that in the remastered edition they'd explain why Frieza says Goku has 5 minutes until Planet Namek blows up, when in reality that magical 5 minutes went on for another 20 freakin' episodes!

he slowed time down somehow?

well they are fighting in super speed…
I
I have a gun. It's really powerful. Especially against living things.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:54PM
marine at 12:20AM, Sept. 24, 2007
(offline)
My comments can be summed up as this:

I'll be purchasing at the very least, the first box set. I loved the first bits before they hit Namek, it was pretty cool. I'm not a big fan of the movies, not enough screaming and the plots tend to get too batshit crazy. The regular DBZ episodes keep it at a wierd level. I didn't like GT for the same reasons. Just didn't have that same feeling, plus didn't have enough Picclo or Tien for me.

I watched a few clips on you tube the other day that were purportedly from the new dvds, looked okay to me. Its a little more obvious to me in 2007 just how terrible the show can be at times, its all screaming and constipated stares and people freaking out. How can you not love that?

The big question is if they'll release a Dragonball box set.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:52PM
jalford at 1:40AM, Sept. 24, 2007
(online)
But it doesn't make a bit of difference, you guys! The FUCKING balls are FUCKING inert!
Masq at 1:45AM, Sept. 24, 2007
(online)
alexhatzia
and with that funimation obtained the rights of one piece, and they promise to keep the music and stay close to the original script. so this is big. it's about time they got things right haha.

That's fantastic to hear. 4Kids ripped One Piece apart, so I'm happy to hear it's going back into good hands. Now, hopefully they don't have a rap song for the opening. *shudder*

Bekefel
Inkmonkey

Or how the word damn was not allowed to be said.

Dragonball Z is secretly full of pain and perversion, as in Master Rochi trying to rape girls and Frieza ripping a guys arm off.

I was perfectly prepared for that in my youth.

What I found embarassing what that in those early dubs, people stopped “dying” after the fourth episode or so. No one died, they “went to another dimention” which was the lamest piece of shit anyone could have thought of. I love the Canadians, I just hate the way they dice up our kid's shows.

marine
My comments can be summed up as this:

LOL! Unfortunantly, the glory of the 9000 power level is gone in the redub. Oh well. It's one of the best things from the first season dubbing we have.
Whothehellstolemyspacebar?!

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:54PM
Armagedon at 2:13AM, Sept. 24, 2007
(online)
im going to say this now… watch out. Next year… Summer they begin filming Dragonball Z the movie. Live action 100 mill budget. yes i am serious.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:02AM
marine at 7:29PM, Sept. 27, 2007
(offline)
Masq
LOL! Unfortunantly, the glory of the 9000 power level is gone in the redub. Oh well. It's one of the best things from the first season dubbing we have.

Then it will be a cold day in hell when I buy that box set.
Neilsama at 12:30PM, Sept. 28, 2007
(online)
There are only a few things about the original dub that I truly miss. That's not one of them.

I liked some of the original voices a little better, but all things considered, I'm happy to see the original dub firmly deceased.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:10PM
marine at 1:32AM, Sept. 29, 2007
(offline)
My question here for those that have it or read articles about it:

Does it still contain lots of screaming and people freaking out? Also are there scenes where all the people can fly (I'm almost certain that came out of nowhere as they couldn't do that in Dragonball, right? What about flying to places that are surrounded by mountains and dessert, that just sort of beg for people shoot energy blasts from their body while yelling?

WHAT NINE THOUSAND?
jalford at 11:33PM, Sept. 29, 2007
(online)
And WHAT THE FUCK did Bulma ever see in that planet-destroying, genocidal, psychotic, egomaniac? (And I ain't talkin' about Yamcha!)
ozoneocean at 2:53AM, Sept. 30, 2007
(online)
I have a lot of doubts about them making that piece of crap series better just by changing the voices. I mean, it was drawn so horribly! The figures suck, the whole thing is grittilly badly done so that it looks worse than a cheap hentai knock-off done in the late 70's. But it doesn't even have a retro-cool about it's crapness, it's just that bad naturally.

Now, just the standard old Dragon-ball series is somehow much better. The drawing style actually looks cute there, it all sort of works! But DBZ is plain ugly, with long drawn out boring stories about never ending fights that actually get LONGER and dumber as the series goes on, (even if the art DOES get much batter later on). It's just so ineffably stupid, stupid, STUPID. Ugly and stupid.

This comon line from every villain ever in the DBZ universe sums up my thoughts regarding the show:
DBZ baddie
Hhahaha… Hahahahahahaha… HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! You just don't get it, do you?

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:28PM
SarahN at 6:51PM, Sept. 30, 2007
(online)
ozoneocean
Now, just the standard old Dragon-ball series is somehow much better. The drawing style actually looks cute there, it all sort of works! But DBZ is plain ugly, with long drawn out boring stories about never ending fights that actually get LONGER and dumber as the series goes on, (even if the art DOES get much batter later on).
Which is why I just prefer the first couple of sagas. Vegeta was the coolest when he was still evil, anyway. I was rooting for him to kill everyone and take over the universe. =/
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:23PM
mlai at 7:01PM, Sept. 30, 2007
(online)
Oh, while the DBZ anime hasn't aged well, the DBZ manga is timeless.

But DB never became a fav of mine until it became DBZ. Speaking manga right now. DB was just boring. Like, really kiddie boring stuff. Once elderly Piccolo showed up and became middle-aged, the whole thing went from boring to AWESOME.

And it became more and more AWESOME until the end of the Namek arc. That was the pinnacle.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:05PM
ccs1989 at 3:40PM, Oct. 1, 2007
(online)
Yeah I love the DBZ manga. Everything is so much less drawn out and it's fun.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:39AM
Neilsama at 3:55PM, Oct. 1, 2007
(online)
ozoneocean
This comon line from every villain ever in the DBZ universe sums up my thoughts regarding the show:
DBZ baddie
Hhahaha… Hahahahahahaha… HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! You just don't get it, do you?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Well, I don't really mind that so much, except when it does happen ad nauseum.

Of course, I didn't really start getting tired of Dragonball Z until after Frieza did that about five or six times. The damn guy just wouldn't fucking die! And even after he supposedly got killed, he STILL came back! After a while, I was like, “OH, enough of this!”.

You know, back when Saban was producing the show, I was really pumped to see what happened after Goku arrived on Namek. Little did I realize that I didn't really need to see any of the stuff that happens beyond that point.

mlai
But DB never became a fav of mine until it became DBZ. Speaking manga right now. DB was just boring. Like, really kiddie boring stuff. Once elderly Piccolo showed up and became middle-aged, the whole thing went from boring to AWESOME.
Oh, come on. Lunch was amusing enough. There just wasn't enough of her in DBZ.

The only downside is that you had to put up with Bulma a bit more, as she was a much more central character in Dragonball, always getting into trouble when the gang would encounter baddies, like Oolong or Boss Rabbit.

Speaking of Boss Rabbit, I always found that Picollo blows up the moon in Dragonball Z, because, to the best of my knowledge, Boss Rabbit was still up there.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:10PM
fern at 6:56PM, Oct. 1, 2007
(online)
alexhatzia
finally funimation is making up for what they screwed up.

You've said a mouthful! I just got the first Fullmetal Alchemist boxset last week. Wooh! All that money I saved! Now if I had only waited for the Initial D boxsets. Why Tokyopop? : (
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:28PM
marine at 10:05PM, Oct. 1, 2007
(offline)
I'd almost read the Dragonball-DBZ manga. But I already know so much of the story, why read it again? I'm sure some stuff isn't nearly as filler or they may have skipped some things, but according to wikipedia some cool stuff isn't in the manga at all. Like Garlic Jr. and the stuff with Goku fighting dudes in heaven. However if Hercule is called Mr. Satan in the manga translation, that might be cool.

I'd almost get the new beat em up DBZ game on xbox. I think it came out like a year or two ago.

I'd also check out the Cowboy Bebop manga or maybe Trigun. Those two weren't so bad either.

BUT THEY DIDN'T HAVE POWER LEVELS!

OR BALLS THAT ARE INERT IN MY OTHER PANTS!
alexhatzia at 10:12PM, Oct. 5, 2007
(online)
you guys act as if dragonball is the first show to ever contain fillers. watch any other anime that was generated from a manga and you'll see no difference.

if it really bothers you that much, just read the manga, it's much faster. the only reason they had to stretch the episode content out was because they couldn't catch up with the manga (as they were both running at the same time)

and they're not changing the entire voice cast, they're just changing the voices from the saiyan saga to namek saga because that's when funimation acquired the rights to the show.

also dragonballz never went to everyone just randomly flying. goku didn't learn how to properly fly until he came back from training with kaio sama in the saiyan saga. it was first introduced in dragonball by tenshinhan and chiaouzu, it's called bukujutsu, it's nothing random.

ozoneocean at 4:26PM, Oct. 6, 2007
(online)
DBZ was all filler. Take out all the powering up scenes, and all the scenes where some beaten up guy is just standing there and breathing, and all the scenes of boring endless destruction caused by some gigantic power beam, and all the scenes where some guy is laughing about how people don't understand how amazingly powerful he is, and all the scenes where characters are just showing utter astonishment at just how high some guy's power level is…
Well then, you'd be left with a short bit of light cheeky comedy, a few quick fights, and some harmless adventure.

In fact I think we have the makings of a good equation there:

Dragon Ball Z - Zzzzz = Dragon Ball!
Ah, a much better anime ^_^

alexhatzia at 6:04PM, Oct. 6, 2007
(online)
ah of course! that would explain why after dragonballz ended in japans weekly jump the sales plummeted and no one was buying the magazine until one piece came along 2 years later!

don't be stupid, dbz is the shit and theres no denying it.

ozoneocean at 2:14AM, Oct. 7, 2007
(online)
alexhatzia
ah of course! that would explain why after dragonballz ended in japans weekly jump the sales plummeted and no one was buying the magazine until one piece came along 2 years later!
I was talking about the animation ^_^
alexhatzia
dbz is the shit and theres no denying it.
I agree! But only because that sentence has a different meaning to me ;)

contreras at 3:40PM, Sept. 7, 2008
(online)
alexhatzia
goku didn't learn how to properly fly until he came back from training with kaio sama in the saiyan saga

actually goku learnt to fly during his training with kami, he used the bukujutsu to defeat piccolo and he pursued raditz by flying
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:44AM
Warpedwenger at 9:40PM, Sept. 11, 2008
(online)
LOL DBZ is so aweful it's awesome! I can't help but like it. I've got all the boxsets so far and I can't wait for 6! It's like a car wreck you just can't look away.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:47PM
jalford at 1:23AM, Sept. 12, 2008
(online)
Holy shit, that live-action movie is going to suck so hard! The only good thing coming out of it will be:
Warpedwenger at 7:16AM, Sept. 12, 2008
(online)
Stephen Chow is producing it though… :/ If anybody can make it work it would be him.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:47PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved