Comic Talk and General Discussion *

DC Comics to launch Zudacomics.com (a DD.com rip-off)
SDJoyce at 7:47AM, July 9, 2007
(offline)
Ok I just found this out over at Newsarama, but it seems that DC has taken a look at Platinum's success with DD.com and is entering into hosting online comics later this year. Alot of what they are saying seems to be a rip from DD.com. They are pushing that they want it to be a community and people voting on comics and such. I think it's a neat idea that one of the big two is jumping into online comics, but I just hope they can bring something more original to it than the way everything sounds.

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=119800
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:24PM
Phantom Penguin at 7:51AM, July 9, 2007
(offline)
If its not broke, don't fix it?
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:42PM
Hijuda at 8:25AM, July 9, 2007
(online)
Zuda Comics? What the crap kinda name is that?
It's a comic!

LOLOL LAMFAO
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:48PM
marine at 8:26AM, July 9, 2007
(offline)
Say the word guys, I'll go to work on them with a pair of pliers and a blow torch!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:52PM
Hijuda at 8:34AM, July 9, 2007
(online)
It’s a year long contract to be a webcomic.

I LOL'd.
It's a comic!

LOLOL LAMFAO
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:48PM
marine at 8:47AM, July 9, 2007
(offline)
I find everything in that article bullshit and an outrage!
dueeast at 9:20AM, July 9, 2007
(offline)
It sounds like DC's online version of “Who Wants To Make A Webcomic?”

I don't like the sound of it, either.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:17PM
carly_mizzou at 9:43AM, July 9, 2007
(online)
okay I only skimmed the article, but I agree with you guys. They start out talking about a community aspect, but then you have to go through a submission process and sign a contract just to get on there. I know it's DC and all, but DAMN what's the point of a web comics site I can't read yaoi on? ha ha ha kidding (sorta), but DD's strength is that anyone can post ANY form (or format) of comic they want and let the AUDIENCE choose what they want to read. for realsies!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:36AM
SpANG at 10:17AM, July 9, 2007
(online)
I'm not too worried about it. Sounds pretty restricting right off the bat. Even more so than Keenspot, haha.

“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:52PM
kingofsnake at 10:44AM, July 9, 2007
(online)
Yeah, I agree that it sounds more like keenspot than drunk duck.
Theres also the website and the official DC article.

It looks like the community aspect is more for comic fans than comic creators, and that the focus will be more on having a few really good comics, then letting anyone who wants to put the effort into making a comic the opportunity to display it in a public forum.

Drunk Duck will always be unique in the aspect that it a)makes it easy to put a comic online no matter who you are b)has a great community of people who are interested in supporting other artist regardless of their current level of talent and c)offers “free advertising” to everyone who is an active memeber. It's a great “cream floats to the top” way of approaching webcomics where Zuda looks more like a “We'll find the cream, and then just have cream” approach. DD will always have more “unexpected gold” in that way.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm at least a little intrigued by Zuda, but I'd never take something like Children at Play over there. Part of what makes webcomics so great is that the only person really censoring you is yourself. If I wanna make a 9-11 joke or a Virginia Tech Shooting joke in horribly bad taste there's nothing stopping me. The last thing I need is to get in an argument with DC about something that is genuinely funny but I shouldn't do because people might get offended by it, and that would reflect badly on them. Thats whats good about the relationship between the creater and Platinum they have such a hands off approach that they can just be like “dude, all we do is offer free webhosting, we don't read that crap” if someone tries place culpability on them for content.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:16PM
ZeroVX at 10:58AM, July 9, 2007
(online)
A DD.com rip-off?

I smell a lawsuit…
“If our own government was responsible for the deaths of almost 100,000 people…..would you really wanna know?”

V for Vendetta, V.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:58PM
marine at 11:54AM, July 9, 2007
(offline)
Looks like they're restricting the space you can have your comic. Thats fucking bullshit. For the most part, my comics are all uniformly the same size, but occasionally I want to do a massive page with thirty extra panels. I may want to post a comic that goes horizontally for miles and miles. I could do that here, there not so much.
Custard Trout at 11:55AM, July 9, 2007
(offline)
This sounds like a bad idea to me, the point in webcomics is to encourage creativity, and this looks as though it's going to go the other way.

Stupid Man Said:
Obviously we can’t predict every device that’s going to come out, and we can’t necessarily plan for every business relationship that DC or Warner Bros might enter into, which is why we went with that 4:3 aspect ratio – it’s an industry standard. It’s a monitor size, a television size. If your device can handle that, they should be able to work with Zuda.

Hey! Restrictions to size? Great. What about open canvas? What people like me to like to include Flash in their comics? What're they going to do?

They also mention ‘contests’ and ‘contracts’ so if a single artist gets sick or can't make comics for another reason, they're going to be screwed because they'll be left behind and suddenly find themselves with no hosting, or they'll get DC on their backs forcing them to update.

They also mention getting paid for it, so people who create webcomics to make money will cease to be delusional idiots and actually be the ones flourishing. Not just a hobby? Of course it fucking is. They even mention eventually buying the creators intellectual property, how is it your comic if some big company owns it, are the original creators going to continue to receive credit after it's brought? I fucking doubt it.

Also, it'll be full of DC fans, or professional artists who want to copy what DC already has, instead of making something different. People like me again, who can't draw very well but have original or funny ideas will left out in the cold, can you see them accepting say, Everybody Hate Herb? Neither can I, but it's a brilliant comic that deserves a lot more attention than it is getting now.

This is going to be bad, they're making webcomics into a business. They're just trying to get new comics without working too hard or spending too much, they don't care about the community or creative aspects at all. Hopefully, with the internet being the size it is, they won't be much of a problem, hopefully they'll just crash and burn, but what if Platinum Studios decide to take Drunkduck the same way? What if they get brought out?

This could actually have a chance of ruining webcomics, I may just be overreacting, or paranoid, and I really, really hope I am.
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:59AM
kingofsnake at 12:10PM, July 9, 2007
(online)
Custard Trout
This could actually have a chance of ruining webcomics, I may just be overreacting, or paranoid, and I really, really hope I am.

It's not going to change a thing. There will always be free webcomic hosting somewhere. And if push comes to shove you can shell out seventy bucks to have your own website, and then just do whatever you damn well please.

Were you one of the people who totally freaked out when Platinum bought DD almost a year ago? Like “Oh no now it's not my comic anymore!” Quick I'm leaving because I don't know what to expect.

I came over when Platinum bought DD. I thought “finally DD will be reliable enough that I can post comics there.”

You don't have to do anything you don't want, no one's twisting your arm to join Zuba.

Custard Trout
but what if Platinum Studios decide to take Drunkduck the same way? What if they get brought out?

What if the goverment decides to start censoring our work? What if monkeys fly out of my armpits? Screw “what ifs” you don't know what's going to change. Liklihood is nothing is going to change, why are you so freaking pessimistic? How about “what if someone decides to pay me for doing something I already love?” It's no more unlikely than your “what ifs” because they're both based on nothing.

If you don't like something, don't participate in it and it wont affect you. Yeah the aspect ratio thing is ridiculous. Yeah Conned will probably never be on Zuba. You know what? Their loss.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:16PM
AQua_ng at 12:18PM, July 9, 2007
(offline)
Screw you guys, I'm hopping over to Zuda, because it sounds sooo much better. :)

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:56AM
marine at 12:24PM, July 9, 2007
(offline)
AQua_ng
Screw you guys, I'm hopping over to Zuda, because it sounds sooo much better. :)

Fuck off then. I'm staying loyal here. Fuck DC. I wouldn't work for them. My marvel zombie-ism will not let me.

I may be a social pariah, but I got ethics, honor, and a spine. You would leave here at the first hint of cash? Thats just awful.

;)
7384395948urhfdjfrueruieieueue at 12:42PM, July 9, 2007
(offline)
The Site
Zuda Comics official tag line is “Click Here To Continue.”
…Wow, that's shitty.

The Site
Zuda Comics are all-original � that means we're not taking ideas based on characters or stories from DC Comics' other imprints � you know, like Batman.
Originality's great, isn't it?

The Site
We're using a lot of open source technologies to build the final Zuda Comics site. That's just how we roll.
Lamest thing ever.

The Site
Check out our awesomeness, publicity style. Yes, awesomeness is a word. We've got banners, logos, and links and stuff like that.
Bitch stole my catchphrase.
i will also like to know you the more
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:04AM
Red Slayer at 12:56PM, July 9, 2007
(online)
carly_mizzou
okay I only skimmed the article, but I agree with you guys. They start out talking about a community aspect, but then you have to go through a submission process and sign a contract just to get on there. I know it's DC and all, but DAMN what's the point of a web comics site I can't read yaoi on? ha ha ha kidding (sorta), but DD's strength is that anyone can post ANY form (or format) of comic they want and let the AUDIENCE choose what they want to read. for realsies!

The Drow…Duck will rule supreme!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:02PM
Terminal at 1:13PM, July 9, 2007
(online)
It'll last longer than Pets.com.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:11PM
fern at 1:19PM, July 9, 2007
(online)
Well, at least we can all agree on something… F_allen already has an acount there.

Lollies.

I miss him.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:27PM
D0m at 1:38PM, July 9, 2007
(online)
And I quote…

"When you submit your Web Comics to Zuda, you could be chosen immediately for a publishing contract or be entered into a competition where the rest of the Zuda Community will pick a Web Comic to win a publishing contract. We'll post the full specs and all the details in plain English right here soon, long before we're ready to accept your material. So sign up and we'll let you know when it's live. "

What do you guys think? This Zuda won't beat DD in content, but what -if- you could get that contract? And it wouldn't hurt to help get extra readers.

Nadya- a tale about what happens to SOME of us when we die.

Currently: Nadya is awake and asking more relevant questions.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:02PM
Vindibudd at 1:44PM, July 9, 2007
(online)
SDJoyce
Ok I just found this out over at Newsarama, but it seems that DC has taken a look at Platinum's success with DD.com and is entering into hosting online comics later this year. Alot of what they are saying seems to be a rip from DD.com. They are pushing that they want it to be a community and people voting on comics and such. I think it's a neat idea that one of the big two is jumping into online comics, but I just hope they can bring something more original to it than the way everything sounds.

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=119800

I don't see how this is in any way a rip off of DD. It is nothing like DD other than it is on the Internet. The people that will be on it are vetted by DC for reliability and quality. Let's be honest, 90% of the comics on DD really are just people screwing around and not remotely serious about making it a profession. Apparently DC wants to develop talent that wants to be doing this for a living. I don't see a problem with it. And you cannot tell me that any one of you would not jump at the chance to have a contract signed with DC. Paid to do what you love. As far as editing goes, if they see what you do and like what you do, then why would they change what you do? Honestly marine, you are so underground there is no way you can do anything but roll R. Crumb style, and there is nothing wrong with that. But don't hate on those that do things more mainstream. Is the pitch for the site cheesy? Yeah. I wish I knew what zuda was supposed to mean. The only thing I would be wary of is losing control over your intellectual property. If they pulled a Batman Forever with Vindibudd I would personally end every one of those em effers.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:42PM
dueeast at 1:46PM, July 9, 2007
(offline)
yes, it's restricted to a very annoying 4:3 aspect ratio.

Completely limiting. Would never work for Due East.

marine
Looks like they're restricting the space you can have your comic.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:17PM
danthemancartoons at 1:55PM, July 9, 2007
(offline)
I think it may be worth having a look at. Although I doubt I would ever leave the Duck, the “freedom” it offers I often see squandered or abused. I have produced a comic I feel is good and suitable to mass audience, and any project that brings webcomics to a wider audience and the possibility of being paid seems like far too good an opportunity to not investigate. One of the majorly double edged swords of webcomics is that there has been no editors.

If you were to have a comic there it would be an opportunity to be among some original and creative guys and pioneer a new community. The Duck has offered to so many, but there has often come a time when the successful have moved on to new and better things while the Duck remains the receptacle for new and innovative talent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:05PM
marine at 2:47PM, July 9, 2007
(offline)
Vindibudd
And you cannot tell me that any one of you would not jump at the chance to have a contract signed with DC. Paid to do what you love.

Its DC. I have a strong distaste for them. Even if I had a deal with Vertigo, I would still feel like I was sleeping with the enemy.

Now if it was an animation contract, I might re-consider rejecting it.
Custard Trout at 3:56PM, July 9, 2007
(offline)
kingofsnake
It's not going to change a thing. There will always be free webcomic hosting somewhere. And if push comes to shove you can shell out seventy bucks to have your own website, and then just do whatever you damn well please.

Were you one of the people who totally freaked out when Platinum bought DD almost a year ago? Like “Oh no now it's not my comic anymore!” Quick I'm leaving because I don't know what to expect.

I came over when Platinum bought DD. I thought “finally DD will be reliable enough that I can post comics there.”

You don't have to do anything you don't want, no one's twisting your arm to join Zuba.

Why do you have to be such an optimist? You people and you assumption that everything's going to fine sickens me. I like panic, panic is goooood. I reject this Zuda/Zuba/piss bollocks thing more on principle. I hate the idea of creativity being stifled for cash. Also, I wasn't here a year ago, I'm quite new. Also again, I know Conned won't get on there, I wasn't suggesting that she should try, I was suggesting that well written comics with (Edit, after I realised what I wrote there made me look like a total bastard: less than professional art) wouldn't get on there.

Besides which, with net neutrality going away not just around the corner, but actually happening, now, it's real possibility.
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:59AM
freefall_drift at 3:57PM, July 9, 2007
(online)
Hummm, It sounds good and if it's comics for free, I'm there! it will be interesting if we get more diversity of ideas, or will it be nothing but superheros and verigo clones.

The size limitation is odd, maybe so they won't have competition with their print comics.
Someone
We came up with a 4:3 aspect ratio. By declaring that as our “screen,” that gives people a space to work in. It gives them a “page,” and creators can be as creative within that page as they want. … If you want to do a more traditional action-adventure periodical, you can do that too, but it will be displayed in these half-page increments, but you can still do it.
Someone
Obviously we can't predict every device that's going to come out, and we can't necessarily plan for every business relationship that DC or Warner Bros might enter into, which is why we went with that 4:3 aspect ratio … it's an industry standard. It's a monitor size, a television size. If your device can handle that, they should be able to work with Zuda.

There was talk of year long contracts and vetting by staff and voting. I like the free for all acceptance of DrunkDuck.

I can see some of the more mainstream comic artists like Devoid of Life or Purgatory Tower or The WAVAM Project (to name a few) being tempted but the aspect ratio means a reworking of storytelling and that it will never look good in print. But with ZuDu, you get paid, in theory.

Besides, who got into this for the money? I did for the screaming fans I get at conventions (grin)…
- Ian
Freefall Drift - A sci fi space opera of a starship's mission of stopping the Endless Kings.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:31PM
Phantom Penguin at 4:05PM, July 9, 2007
(offline)
I smell a internet-fight on our hands.

The worse kind of fight…one where no one gets hurt…
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:42PM
ZeroVX at 4:08PM, July 9, 2007
(online)
Personally, I have no problems with DC. They make some good stuff. And if you have to ask my favourite, you don't know me very well.

But the truth is, I think that they're getting a bit paranoid. Namely when it comes to popularity, particularly against Marvel. How many movies has Marvel released recently? How many has DC? Which were more popular? When was the last big crossover event in the DC universe?

You get the point.

They think that they're losing popularity, and thus are trying to make themselves more popular by doing this. This way, more people will read their comics, and thus, will ensure that they get more money.

And, of course, it's always about money.
“If our own government was responsible for the deaths of almost 100,000 people…..would you really wanna know?”

V for Vendetta, V.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:58PM
Black_Kitty at 4:12PM, July 9, 2007
(online)
I half-read half skimmed the interview so I'll have to go back and read it again later. What I'm really intrigued about is the community aspect since a lot of their features rely on a community. Sure it's great to vote comics every month but you'll need people to do the voting.

Most webcomic hosting sites however start out with more creators than readers. This may change for DC since unlike most webcomic hosting sites out there, they're actually starting out with money to back them up. (DrunkDuck itself initially started out through word of mouth.) But a lot of the rating issues that DD had when it first started stemmed from the fact that it had more creators than readers at the time.

Actually thinking about it, money could change a lot of things for Zudacomics. Hosting sites like DD, SJ, and CG traditionally relied on the community and word of mouth for growth. I knew about DD through Megatokyo forums (we were looking for a place to host our images for critiquing and Volte6 actually came over to answer questions) and I know Subcultured found out about DD through this spam e-mail Volte6 sent out. Over time the site would develop a group of loyal users who in turn would spread the word. They might even volunteer to assist the site or lead community activities that further foster community growth.

Would money replace that? Certainly Zudacomics would have more resources than DrunkDuck did when it first started out. But I don't think you can buy a community.

I personally don't think comics is even an issue for Zudacomics. Let me put it this way: DD had crashed twice in the past and lost all of its comics (this being prior to Platinum Studios coming in.) But yet it's still around. Why? It has a strong community to help support it. Zudacomics could be hosting the best webcomics out there but if it has a weak community, then sites like DD, SJ, and CG will still have a leg up.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:24AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon