Comic Talk and General Discussion *

DC Comics to launch Zudacomics.com (a DD.com rip-off)
marine at 2:36PM, July 10, 2007
(offline)
Dirk Depppey… what a name. Now that we know who our enemy is, we can better combat him.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:52PM
Vindibudd at 3:45PM, July 10, 2007
(online)
I wonder if Dirk Deppey has actually seen one of these contracts he seems so knowledgeable about. I really can't think of a single web cartoonist that is going to sign his/her idea completely away for relatively nothing. This isn't 1943 anymore.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:42PM
carly_mizzou at 5:04PM, July 10, 2007
(online)
Yeah I don't understand why people are so against The Duck, it's not like we ever go “after anyone”…yikes!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:36AM
Hijuda at 5:13PM, July 10, 2007
(online)
carly_mizzou
Yeah I don't understand why people are so against The Duck, it's not like we ever go “after anyone”…yikes!

Seriously, we haven't even insulted Tim Buckley.
It's a comic!

LOLOL LAMFAO
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:48PM
Ozoneocean at 5:25PM, July 10, 2007
(online)
Hijuda
Weeelll…
http://www.drunkduck.com/Buckleys_World
Some people give it a good go ;)

Dirk Dreppy is really his name? No wonder… Poor guy :(
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:27PM
Red Slayer at 5:46PM, July 10, 2007
(online)
ozoneocean
Hijuda
Weeelll…

Dirk Dreppy is really his name? No wonder… Poor guy :(

i would be angry too.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:02PM
7384395948urhfdjfrueruieieueue at 5:53PM, July 10, 2007
(offline)
Wait, did Tim say something about us?
i will also like to know you the more
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:04AM
Hijuda at 6:00PM, July 10, 2007
(online)
ozoneocean
Hijuda
Weeelll…

That doesn't count. That's not even ours.
It's a comic!

LOLOL LAMFAO
7384395948urhfdjfrueruieieueue at 6:37PM, July 10, 2007
(offline)
Hijuda
ozoneocean
Hijuda
Weeelll…

That doesn't count. That's not even ours.
Or maybe he stole it from us.

:neenjah:
Hijuda at 6:49PM, July 10, 2007
(online)
Because I have nothing better to do:

Hockey Zombie
posted on Thursday January 1st, 2004

Buckley's World
-Posted on Jul 31, 2006

It's a comic!

LOLOL LAMFAO
7384395948urhfdjfrueruieieueue at 7:17PM, July 10, 2007
(offline)
Maybe it's actually him and he posted them here after discovering it.
kingofsnake at 7:18PM, July 10, 2007
(online)
And Ozone yells at ME for distracting from the conversation
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:16PM
Ozoneocean at 7:43PM, July 10, 2007
(online)
:P It's not distracting so much as following the thread.
Posting videos and image macros in lieu of any text relating to any subject on hand or any other conversations within the thread however isn't good practise… ;)
Vindibudd
Again, you don't have to sign it if you don't like it. But don't knock it because you can't get past how awesome you know you are.
lol! I hope that's not directed at me :)
I'm not knocking it, it's just not my thing. you know? Like getting an article printed in Vanity Fair might be sort of cool to some people, but it's not something I'm interested in trying for… That doesn't mean I despise those who do, it's just not really me.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:27PM
Hijuda at 8:09PM, July 10, 2007
(online)
Atom Apple
Maybe it's actually him and he posted them here after discovering it.

Tim? I doubt it. If that were true, what would he do next? Reinstate the RoM forum and say he was ‘just kidding’?

Well, I may as well throw in my 2 cents-

I think this Zuda thing (as stupid a name as that may be- are they trying to appeal to the Wapanese Narutards or something?) doesn't seem too bad. It can attract some potentially good comickers to the field, people who otherwise wouldn't bother with the field. Of course, an opportunity like this will likely also attract hacks out to make a quick buck- but hopefully, the voting stage will weed these guys out. Time will tell.
It's a comic!

LOLOL LAMFAO
Puff at 8:24PM, July 10, 2007
(offline)
You never know, there might be some interesting things to read there, especially if they're for free. But I'm so cheap that if my favorite comic in the history of man sprouted on Zuda, and then got published and taken OFF Zuda so DC would make money, I wouldn't buy it. That's why I love DD. I can read whatever I want, and the only price is my life slipping away (but if I enjoy what I'm doing, is it really?).

Even if I was a much better artist than I am, I don't think I'd let them publish my stuff, never been a DC person. I don't think I'd mind Marvel skull-farking my characters/story so much though, they've done a decent job with their stories in the past so I think. And, lol, there's always Marvel Zombies, eh? :b

Btw, this has been a really enjoyable thread to read, I hope it continues to be contributed to. I got a few laughs in from some people's posts. :3
Insufficient funds, banner reposessed! >:0

http://www.drunkduck.com/The_Cure
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:54PM
SteveMyers22 at 12:11AM, July 11, 2007
(offline)
I still harbor a secret inner desire to draw/write a mainstream super hero book.

So yeah, I'll be submitting at least one entry. But it won't be The Adventures of Superchum. No way I can fit it into their ratio.

I don't know. I hope it works out. More web comic popularity, even mainstream, is good for all of us you know? The Drunk Duck panel at Wizard World Philly was so enthusiastic. Everyone I met there had a lot of positive energy. Roll with that. Just use this thing DC's doing as either more incentive to make your work here kick that much more butt so DC pales in comparison, or use it as a motivation to try and get a break with the mainstream.

Either way, it's win-win.

:)
– Steve Myers, Creator of The Adventures of Superchum on Drunk Duck, and at Superchum.com
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:58PM
dogtopus at 3:10AM, July 11, 2007
(online)
But I'm so cheap that if my favorite comic in the history of man sprouted on Zuda, and then got published and taken OFF Zuda so DC would make money, I wouldn't buy it.

Aww! I'd LOVE to get a comic published and printed. It wouldn't just make DC money, it'd make the creator money too; and if the rights are shared I'm sure the creator would have a say in what is being done with it. Free web stuff is nice, though. :D

Seriously, I think this zuda thing is proper cool; purely from DC having enough faith in webcomics risk money and open it out everyone like this (not to mention putting some control in the hands of the community over who gets published), that's great! How rare is that? It's a gamble for them as well as for us.

The format; I think it's a good idea. It works for the web better than full-length comicbook size does, and if you stick two together you can print it. Pow! Great! I do worry a little about pacing it out, and I also worry about wether I'm gonna have to start thinking about 4-page spreads now.. but eh, that's counting chikins.(XD) I look forward to the challenge.

Personally, I'm probably gonna give it a shot. Sure, if it gets picked up I'll lose some rights, but maybe I'll also make a little money off of it, which is more than I do at the moment. And if it all goes tits up and the property gets tied up so I can't make any more; big deal, I've earned something from it and there are plenty more ideas in my head. Seeing as I'll be creeating something specifically for this format, I've lost nothing, as I wouldn't have made anything were it not there.

My only concern is the interface, which we haven't seen yet, and wether they REALLY know what they're doing, or not. Drunk Duck is great because it's taken lots of input from the community, has taken its time to evolve and hasn't required any signup of commitment to take part in. Commercial sites often jump the gun and leap in without really knowing what's there, and put up unnecessary barriers to casual readers (such as tokyopop's forced “to read more.. sign up!!” clause). So I'm worried about that. (just read an interview where it states they won't do the tokyopop thing.. and update frequency is case-by-case.. so yay!) But in concept.. AWESOME. There could be potential to make comics and earn cash for doing so, and that's …well, awesome! :D I don't want to give up my day job, I can't afford to go the whole hog and try and be a professional Comics Creator ™ full time, but do I want to supplement my income a little with some part time comics work? Hell yes!! If that's what this means, if that's what zuda comics is offering the chance to do, then I'm all over it.

EDIT: Thought of something else. As this is DC's imprint, you can be sure it'll get some advertising attention between the covers of printed books. So say you're one of the people selected to be on the site when it goes live; there will be a lot of people new to webcomics (but that liek comics already!) coming in to check out this thing, and the first webcomic they ever read will be YOURS. How cool is that?! :D
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:13PM
joeychips at 4:19AM, July 11, 2007
(online)
I don't see how Zuda could be a true community if the only way to get in is to pass their submission process. I wouldn't call the American Idol stable of “winners” a community. That said, it will at least be interesting to see if they change anything due to all the backlash.
Joe Chiappetta
www.SillyDaddy.net
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:10PM
bongotezz at 9:08AM, July 11, 2007
(offline)
well, i didn't want to disuade people from submitting stuff i was just pointing out things you should be aware of if you plan on submitting. I would submit superteam if it met the 4:3 ratio required by the site.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:32AM
marine at 11:03AM, July 11, 2007
(offline)
carly_mizzou

All anybody has to do is suggest that this would be humorous for me to say something to them.
carly_mizzou at 11:37AM, July 11, 2007
(online)
Wow Marine quoted me, and then turned it into a threat (such talent!) ^_^

No no Marine it's more fun to sit and watch the shoe… (i'm ed sullivan today)

BTW uh…who's Tim Buckley?
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:36AM
Hijuda at 12:18PM, July 11, 2007
(online)
carly_mizzou

Buckley's the creator of Ctrl+Alt+Del. He's responsible for Wintereenmas and the new Church of Gaming (Ugh).
It's a comic!

LOLOL LAMFAO
ZeroVX at 1:02PM, July 11, 2007
(online)
Hijuda
carly_mizzou

Buckley's the creator of Ctrl+Alt+Del. He's responsible for Wintereenmas and the new Church of Gaming (Ugh).

What's wrong with a Church of Gaming? I'd join up!

Anyway, I didn't see anything in that article about us jabbing anyone.
“If our own government was responsible for the deaths of almost 100,000 people…..would you really wanna know?”

V for Vendetta, V.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:58PM
marine at 1:58PM, July 11, 2007
(offline)
carly_mizzou
Wow Marine quoted me, and then turned it into a threat (such talent!) ^_^

Its more a promise.

Also Tim Buckley's a prick.
Phantom Penguin at 2:17PM, July 11, 2007
(offline)
Hijuda
carly_mizzou

Its always the untalented douchebags that get famous.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:42PM
Vindibudd at 3:26PM, July 11, 2007
(online)
marine
Also Tim Buckley's a prick.

I second that motion. He has Rock Staritis.
SDJoyce at 5:06PM, July 11, 2007
(offline)
DC released more infor on the Zudacomics deal. Basically they have stated that if you are chooses/ or voted to do a print deal then you will continue to own all rights to you IP. They may know what they are doing a little, or they've been listening to what people are saying. They stated that they will be posting a copy of what the contracts will be like in the next few days.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:24PM
Vindibudd at 5:25PM, July 11, 2007
(online)
SDJoyce
DC released more infor on the Zudacomics deal. Basically they have stated that if you are chooses/ or voted to do a print deal then you will continue to own all rights to you IP. They may know what they are doing a little, or they've been listening to what people are saying. They stated that they will be posting a copy of what the contracts will be like in the next few days.

Yeah, this is what I thought. It is not any their best interests to screw people over. there is no point in doing webcomics if you are burning the bridges before you leave the island.
kingofsnake at 6:43PM, July 11, 2007
(online)
SDJoyce

It doesn't exactly say that. It says that the creator will own the original copyright, it doesn't mention the publishing rights. All that really means is they can't take “created by Nate Frisoli” off of the thing.

I'm not trying to be cynical about it. I don't imagine the final contract will be too much different than the kind of contract Platinum offers. But that remains to be seen.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:16PM
Hijuda at 8:08PM, July 11, 2007
(online)
Another thing I thought about- what if a creator made multiple accounts to vote for his comic? In a community like DD, this would be ultimately pointless. But with Zuda, money is involved, so there's no doubt that some may go to these lengths- especially if they have dial-up, which resets a computer's IP address every time it logs on. It likely won't result in a terrible comic getting a deal (it still goes through Zuda's editors), but it could result in an otherwise #2 comic getting the contract, or at least an average comic becoming a finalist.
It's a comic!

LOLOL LAMFAO

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon