Drunk Duck Awards

DD Awards 2008 - Let's Plan It Out!
amanda at 12:45PM, July 22, 2008
(online)
Hi, guys! I've set up a “comic” HERE. The nomination form is a little rough and boring (I could probably make it slightly prettier, but this is just something I threw together this morning). Right now, I plan to set it up to email me the responses, but if anyone is concerned about my tally being honest, I can add some code to CC someone else. I'm still ironing out the submission kinks. (Uhh, in the most non-dirty sense imaginable.)

Feel free to offer feedback on categories, but whatever list we have as of August 1, I'm sticking with it.

Anyway - let's talk about rules/deadlines/whatever if you wanna help.

Suggested Rules:
1. Each user can only vote once.
2. The comic MUST be an active comic - say, at least one update in the last 30 days? Comics that have been completed should probably be eligible, but comics that have simply stopped updating shouldn't be, in my opinion. I'm cool with hiatused comics like JNP's since it's still ACTIVE and has a plan to return. Does that make sense?
3. Goes without saying that the comic should be hosted on Drunk Duck.
4. Don't vote for your own comic. That's just a little snobby.

Suggested Deadlines:
1. Deadline for categories: July 31
2. Nominations go LIVE: August 1
3. Last nominations accepted: 11:59:59pm August 10
4. First Tally finalized: August 17
5. Final voting goes live: August 18
6. Last votes accepted: 11:59:59pm August 24
5. “Presenters” have submissions done by September 1
6. Awards begin to go live: September 2

Publicity Ideas:
1. Possibly a stickied, red thread in every forum during while the nominations are going on?
2. Newspost Plugs
3. Plug it in our comics, in our forum sigs, etc. Hopefully get some high profiles comics to do the same - besides, I'm sure they WANT the recognition for their hard work, right? =]
4. Maybe do a couple Project Wonderful ad campaigns on some DD comics (I can spare a couple bucks for that sort of thing).

*NOTE: I sent an email to info@drunkduck.com. Dunno who gets those, but I asked for support from them and possibly a generic profile trophy for the winners. I'd still like to do something similar to Subcultured's really awesome 3d Golden Feather award from last year. It's uh…in the works, haha.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:51AM
lba at 8:06PM, July 22, 2008
(online)
I'd be more that willing to give it a plug on Last Words and see if I can't figure out a way to let you get the ad on my PW space for free. I'm not sure how high profile I rate but PR is PR right? I can probably help with some other stuff too.

Maybe you could ask Skool about putting it in the newspost and maybe getting someone to find a way to work it onto the front page.

Are the nominations just in order to be judged or are these comics being picked by popular vote? And if they're just being nominated for a judging who will be doing the judging and will it just be as many judges as can be gathered or is there a set number in mind?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:29PM
SpANG at 8:43PM, July 22, 2008
(online)
amanda
Hi, guys! I've set up a “comic” HERE. The nomination form is a little rough and boring (I could probably make it slightly prettier, but this is just something I threw together this morning) - but it DOES work. Right now, it's emailing me the responses, but if anyone is concerned about my tally being honest, I can add some code to CC someone else.

I gotta say, that's pretty impressive! Does it track user names so that people can't vote for themselves and/or repeatedly?
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:53PM
amanda at 9:01PM, July 22, 2008
(online)
Thanks, Iba! Any help is greatly appreciated, and you have a pretty good following ^.^

And thanks, Spang - I learned lots of new stuff putting that thing together. Heh. Right now, I'm requiring that people enter usernames, and the form will end up with people actually *emailing* the responses to me in a really raw format. So I can track by email and whatever they put for username. Um…I'm kinda relying on honesty! Though it's on my agenda this week to figure out how to keep people from submitting twice. I think I almost have it.
usedbooks at 9:04PM, July 22, 2008
(online)
Maybe an “Adventure” category? I think much of the stuff I follow would fit there and nowhere else.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:37PM
amanda at 11:07PM, July 22, 2008
(online)
I have been wishy washy about “adventure,” so I'm glad you suggested it too, UB. I'll add that in when I make my next updates to the form.
lba at 6:19AM, July 23, 2008
(online)
Looking through it again, I'd like to toss out best humour as an overall category and best new comic for a couple extra categories.
SpANG at 6:59AM, July 23, 2008
(online)
amanda
Thanks, Iba! Any help is greatly appreciated, and you have a pretty good following ^.^

And thanks, Spang - I learned lots of new stuff putting that thing together. Heh. Right now, I'm requiring that people enter usernames, and the form will end up with people actually *emailing* the responses to me in a really raw format. So I can track by email and whatever they put for username. Um…I'm kinda relying on honesty! Though it's on my agenda this week to figure out how to keep people from submitting twice. I think I almost have it.

Perhaps you could make it just follow to a text page with all the info filled in, then they can c/p and PQ you the info?

I dunno. People will cheat. Sorry to say. I have no idea why.
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:53PM
usedbooks at 7:17AM, July 23, 2008
(online)
lba
Looking through it again, I'd like to toss out best humour as an overall category
I think that would fit under writing (humor/jokes)
amanda at 9:45AM, July 23, 2008
(online)
UPDATES! Yay!

*I've added both humor and drama/tension to the list.
*The form is up and running! Unfortunately, there is no way to prevent multiple voting.

I'm all for adding Best New Comic, but as far as eligibility goes…
Should it be a comic that is new since the LAST awards? Or should it be a comic that appeared in the last six months? Three months? Day and a half?
usedbooks at 10:22AM, July 23, 2008
(online)
Probably shouldn't be up and running until the end of your “categories” deadline. ;)

Maybe remove the word “real” from manga style? It makes it rather confusing… Does it mean comics made by Japanese people? People living in Japan? B&W? Reading right to left? – I'd just leave it at manga (like DD does) and leave it to voter discretion.

Also, as Iba asked (and forgive me if I missed the answer) will “judging” be by a panel or popular vote?

Since you said it's a single day, I guess it's a panel… But how will judges be chosen and bias avoided?
amanda at 11:52AM, July 23, 2008
(online)
Heh, well, I meant “up and running” as in “I fixed the submission errors.” Should have been more specific ^.^

I'll make the manga change on the next set of updates.

Thanks very much for the input/helping ^.^ Makes me feel better that I'm not the only one who cares!
patrickdevine at 11:55AM, July 23, 2008
(online)
Looks good but why is Horror and Noir the same category?
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:41PM
trevoramueller at 12:51PM, July 23, 2008
(online)
Yay, DD Awards! I've got a few comics out there I'd like to nominate (I'm looking at you, Amanda!)
My Drunk Duck Comics:

Nominated for numerous web awards, see more news at My Website
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:33PM
Bocaj at 1:42PM, July 23, 2008
(online)
OK, I know you can't vote for your own comic, but can you nominate it?
(Sorry if the answer is an obvious ‘no’.)

Can you nominate two comics for the same category?
(How if yes?)

“Best Community Project”?

What about a “Random (Humor)” category?
I consider that validly different.

Also a “New Comic” category is customarily less than a year old.

(love the deliciously offensive category! XD)

Go/thanks Amanda!!

Don't read Rape.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:31AM
Rori at 6:05PM, July 23, 2008
(online)
I voted :D

How about an “Adult” category? I know lots of people get all weird about them, but Drunk Duck does host them, so why not recognize the excellent ones (they exist)?
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:11PM
amanda at 6:33PM, July 23, 2008
(online)
Hi, Rori - I got a few votes already - but I won't actually start counting until August. No worries - just resubmit ^.^ Also, adult comic is a great category, so I'll add that.

AND I guess I will separate horror and noir…

…there's a difference? o.O

Bocaj, you can't nominate your own comic, but you can encourage others to nominate it ^.^ Plus, I KNEW I was forgetting something - best community project! Thanks for the reminder. “Random” would probably be really good, too.
lba at 7:06PM, July 23, 2008
(online)
For best new comic I'm going to agree with Bocaj and say in the last year should be what defines new.

And to answer Used Books, I think humour falls into it's own category simply because not all humour is written. Some comic's jokes and gags don't contain anything but an image or are single panel strips and hence rely on the art to make the humour. It's broader than just writing. Perhaps set up main categories by following the DD category system and have subcategory awards within them like Humour -> Random or Drama -> Romance. Then you could do the best overall of each category and best DD comic from there.

And a second for the adult category. I think we should recognize good work regardless of rating.
Bocaj at 7:07PM, July 23, 2008
(online)
amanda
Bocaj, you can't nominate your own comic, but you can encourage others to nominate it ^.^ Plus, I KNEW I was forgetting something - best community project! Thanks for the reminder. “Random” would probably be really good, too.
Gotcha. Glad you like the ideas!

One last thing! (I know.)
Do you type in comic names or urls?
(I think names.)

Don't read Rape.
amanda at 7:47PM, July 23, 2008
(online)
Bocaj, names of comics will be just fine ^.^
rufus_edge at 8:30PM, July 23, 2008
(online)
I have some suggestions!
They are: Best New Character, Best Humor Character, Best Random Comic (for Bocaj), Best Comic by a Member Less than 18 Years Old (may be impossible), Most Improved Comic (since last year), Most Unique Comic, Most Philosophical (meaningful) Comic (may be the same as political/editorial), and Best Product/Print Collection Based on a DD Comic.

Oh, and also Best Use of Beard in an Avatar.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:12PM
Bocaj at 9:22PM, July 23, 2008
(online)
rufus_edge
Best New Character
That may be too specific :/
Seems a little much (to me).
Someone
Best Humor Character,
Like.
Someone
Best Random Comic (for Bocaj)
:D
I already suggested ;)
Someone
Best Comic by a Member Less than 18 Years Old (may be impossible),
This seems bad to me…
Someone
Most Improved Comic (since last year)
Interesting… I like :D
Someone
Most Unique Comic,
Someone
Most Philosophical (meaningful) Comic (may be the same as political/editorial),
How about Most Experimental?
Someone
and Best Product/Print Collection Based on a DD Comic.
Oh! Interesting idea! (might be too off topic…)
Someone
Oh, and also Best Use of Beard in an Avatar.
I have this one IN THE BAG.

Don't read Rape.
mlai at 11:55PM, July 23, 2008
(online)
Here's a category near and dear to my heart:

Best Comic That Will Never Be Featured (because it's adult, fan comic, sprite comic, whatever).

I think it's an important category because some of these are really good but will never be featured ever since Platinum Comics took over, but they deserve the recognition just like everybody else.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
usedbooks at 12:16AM, July 24, 2008
(online)
Hey, amanda, you could simplify/organize things a bit by having awards for each of the “official” categories and styles (the ones listed on the browse/search). And then some writing and art awards, misc. awards, and the overall best. That might be the best way to avoid leaving anyone out or biasing the categories.

Like this:

Best of…

~Cartoon
~American
~Manga
etc.
~Fantasy
~Parody
~Real Life
etc.

Technical Awards
~Best Writing
~Best Lineart
~Best Backgrounds
etc
(or whatever. I forgot what you listed and am making stuff up. :-P)

Other Awards
~Best Community Project
~Best Adult Comic
~Best Protagonist
etc.

Best Overall

It would make for a lot of awards (though probably no more if you came up with different genres – especially with people suggesting things), but if you don't get enough nominations for a category, you could drop it at judging. I'm just afraid if you tried to make up your own categories for genres and styles, you might miss someone or become redundant. – And since all the DD comics are already categorized like this, people could run an easy search if they aren't sure what the category is.

mlai
Best Comic That Will Never Be Featured
Might be too vague and general. People wouldn't know how to interpret it. People could nominate a comic with terrible art but stellar writing or one that updates only every few months or any of those other things that turn away the feature pickers – and there are simply too many “disqualifiers.”

The DD Awards themselves will likely be acknowledging many comics that may not necessarily be featurable. Like a comic with bad writing but astounding art (or vice versa) could get an art or a writing award but would never be featured. Even “Best Overall Comic” could be one that wouldn't ever get featured.

It would probably be better to use specific categories to hone in on the specific “unfeaturable” genres. (Categories for adult comics, fan/tribute comics, and sprite comics – as your example.)

Iba
Some comic's jokes and gags don't contain anything but an image or are single panel strips and hence rely on the art to make the humour. It's broader than just writing.
Writing is not the “text” in a comic. It's the planning of the comic. If a comic is done in a team effort, the writer passes the idea to the artist. The humor is in that original idea, and the “writer” not the “artist” should get the accolades for it. Hence “humor” is in the writing. ;)

– However, I *think* we are talking about two different things… I interpreted your suggestion not as genre but in terms of any comic evoking good laughs – whatever their genre. The word “humor” threw me off, since I don't think of that word in connection to a type of comic. (I think more like movie/TV terminology for genres: drama, horror, comedy, etc.)

As a comic type/genre category, “Random Humor,” “Gag Strip,” or “Comedy” would describe it well.

I
Also, as Iba asked (and forgive me if I missed the answer) will “judging” be by a panel or popular vote?
Any word on this yet? Amanda? *Nudge*

patrickdevine at 1:41AM, July 24, 2008
(online)
amanda
Hi, Rori - I got a few votes already - but I won't actually start counting until August. No worries - just resubmit ^.^ Also, adult comic is a great category, so I'll add that.

AND I guess I will separate horror and noir…

…there's a difference? o.O

Yeah, Noir usually refers to hard-boild detective stories and crime drama. Horror usually refers to, well horror.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:41PM
skoolmunkee at 2:22AM, July 24, 2008
(online)
I think a newcomer award would be awfully redundant. Most comics aren't more than a year old already, and those that are older will hopefully already have established themselves as more eligible in another category.

Also, just because a comic has been on DD for less than a year doesn't mean that the comic itself is less than a year old (or isn't even just a reposting of something done 10 years ago). Then there's the question of whether ‘newcomer’ means new user or just new comic.

We won't be able to verify the under-18 idea, though it would have been a nice award :)

I'm not sure where to find a current list of the awards available so I can't really comment on ‘em. I will say though (to usedbooks) that search doesn’t work as perfectly as we'd like, if I search for horror I get lots of stuff that isn't horror :)
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:41PM
Evil_Snuffkin at 5:00AM, July 24, 2008
(online)
So glad someome decided to carry this on, nice work Amanda :)

amanda
The comic MUST be an actively updating comic - say, at least one update in the last 30 days? I don't really want non-active comics getting awards they don't care about ^.^

So will this include completed comics or just ones that are incomplete / abandoned?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:24PM
JustNoPoint at 7:12AM, July 24, 2008
(online)
I'll add any banners I need to my comic to promote this.

Also, did I miss the “most improved” award?

Too bad I won't be able to compete. Bad timing on my end since my current issue wraps up in 3 pages and I will take 2 or more months off. Ah well.

Maybe the practicing I do during my hiatus will be enough to get me a reward next time after I return. Not good enough for any awards atm anyway =p
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:12PM
Fly Hue at 7:35AM, July 24, 2008
(offline)
I agree with Snuffkin on easing up on the “completed” comics.
And I loved the idea of the “Best Comic That Will Never Be Featured” until Used Books pointed out the sad truth that many voters just wouldn't ‘get’ the category. In turn I suggest following through with the “Best Adult” idea as well as “Best Sprite” or “Best Fancomic” and such.
And I'm going to discourage the “Best New Comic” idea. There's way too many out there, and like Skoolmunkee said, many of them aren't really “New”.
As for the whole genre issue, I feel that if Drunk Duck lists it as a separate genre then it deserves its own category. Afterall, I've noticed that no one has suggested a “Best Western” even though it is listed as a genre on the site. :/
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:30PM
amanda at 8:27AM, July 24, 2008
(online)
FlyHue
Best Western
Hotels can't compete! Oh man oh man, I'm sorry, couldn't help it.

All great suggestions - I'll rework the categories some and reset the page. I ended up taking the list down since it was uh…working TOO well ^.^ I got about 20 nominations last night XD

Keep the suggestions coming! I should have an updated form by the end of the day (well, end of the day for ME - I'm on Central time).

As for the judging/voting…I had to give that a lot of thought, so I apologize for a non-quick answer. I really think popular vote is the way to do it rather than a panel of judges. That mostly stems from me thinking the US Electoral College is unbelievably silly. I'm always happy to hear your opinions on the matter, though, so I'm not setting anything in stone until August 1 (when the nomination form is official).

I'd like to have presenters though, like last time - people who volunteer to make a couple pages announcing the top five - maybe recognize some other strong contenders - and some big showy thing announcing the winner.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved