Drunk Duck Awards

DD Awards 2008 Feedback!
amanda at 10:41PM, Sept. 4, 2008
(online)
Hi there!
Now that we've reached the end of the road for the Awards, let us have your feedback! What did you like? What did you dislike? Suggestions for next year?
This is how we'll improve, so be honest ^.^
Let's shoot for an even better 2009!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:51AM
DAJB at 1:57AM, Sept. 5, 2008
(online)
First - overall, Amanda, let me say that I think the awards have been a great success and so any suggestions for improvement are only going to be minor niggles, not huge problems. The whole exercise has gone through so seamlessly, that - after you've recovered from your nervous exhaustion - you and your helpers should be giving yourselves a huge slap on the back! There was tension, close calls, fun and - most importantly - some excellent comics were given the recognition they deserve - both established comics and some lesser known titles. Well done!

What could be done to improve them for the future? Well, the few things I can think of are centred around eligibility/categorisation and publicity.

Publicity
As the awards were nearing completion, I became aware of a number of comics whose creators were saying they'd been unaware that the awards were even happening. This may have helped me (and others!) by limiting the competition but maybe there ought to be a way to publicise the start and progress of the awards procedure outside of the forum. (I heard a rumour that some creators never come here!) Other than frequent reminders on the News posts, I've no practical suggestions on this one … sorry!

Genres
Some comics were nominated in genres for which they clearly weren't eligible. I can understand over-enthusiastic fans wanting to nominate their favourites in every category they can but, if those comics make the finals (as they did in some cases), it deprives other comics in that genre of a slot.

Since every creator can now categorise his/her/their comic in two genres, I'd suggest a comic should only be eligible for the genre categories in which the creators have themselves put it. (Might also encourage creators to check their categorisations and make sure they accurately reflect their comics!)

Adult category
Similar to the genre issue above - not all the comics here were truly “adult” in nature and, again, that limits the slots available to those which are. Maybe this should be open only to comics to which the creators have themselves given an age-rating of “A” or “M”.

Dormancy
One of the rules was that comics should have been updated within the last 30 days (unless they were complete). Again, some comics which hadn't were still nominated by their fans, probably because they were simply unaware of the rule. If there is to be a dormancy rule (whether of 30 days or any other period), it needs to be applied across the board, otherwise comics with fans who abide by it are at a disadvantage to those with fans who don't.

Art styles
To ensure the comics in each category are being compared to their peers, these could be more precisely defined. It doesn't make sense for comics to be nominated in both the traditional and the digital categories, for example. Using the DD definitions, this could be avoided by defining what constitutes each. Are “cartoon, American and manga”, for example, all “Traditional art”? Are “photographic, sprite and poser” comics all “digital”? What about comics which are hand-drawn using “traditional” methods but inked and/or coloured digitally? I think there needs to be some guidance here so that comics which do not belong in a category do not edge out the comics which do.

Tone
Some of the major genre categories could have an award for best humourous comic in that genre and best serious comic in that genre. It's almost impossible to compare like for like when you have examples of both within a genre, and a panel of judges who prefer story-driven drama is inevitably going to make a very different decision to judges who prefer a daily gag-strip. Whether a comic is deemed humourous or serious could again be determined by the categorisation given to it by the creator.

Sub-genres
I was astonished at the range of different styles represented in, for example, the autobiographical and slice-of-life categories. Maybe some genres could be combined and others divided into sub-categories? Not sure about this one, but there were certainly some categories in which the rival finalists made very strange bedfellows!

Policing
One obvious question that arises from all this is how can the organisers be sure that all comics are in the correct cateegory? With the huge number of categories there are, it would obviously not be possible for you (or your successor!) to check every comic in every category. I think this can be left to the panelists. They have to read all the comics in their allotted category anyway and so it would be quite easy to check that each finalist is correctly categorised for genre, tone, latest update date, age rating and art style when reading it. If an ineligible comic has made it into the five, then they can simply ask for the name of the next comic on the list.

Anyway, that's all I have. It looks like a lot now I've written it down but, as I said at the beginning, they're all small things really. Just a collection of thoughts that occurred to me as I began to visit each of the finalists.

This has been a fantastic awards exercise and it's introduced me to a number of great comics which had somehow slipped under my radar. Well done to everyone involved … now go crack open a few crates of bubbly!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM
n_y_japlander at 5:19AM, Sept. 5, 2008
(offline)
First off I must say… Great job this year!!!!! it is better tan any other award “show” I have seen on the net (and a huge bound from last years).

Next, I agree with DAJB, almost 95%… good points guy!

But, On the award pages themselves, there should of been some top navigation. After commenting on a page, it recycles and have to scroll down to continue. But that was just a minor thing.

Is there a way to get the DD awards comic page to be a feature next time there is to be one? Looking at the presentations there are still a lot of people not knowing… the news update is good, but to have both, better!

Again Great bang up job! Hats off to all of you that had a hand in this!

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:19PM
BlkKnight at 6:50AM, Sept. 5, 2008
(online)
I do agree with the points made, but I should also add that any judging should be based solely on the content created within the award's time frame (i.e. next year judges 9/1/08 to 8/31/09.) This would allow so some more variation if a nominee from this year started to take a downward turn.
That's “Dr. BlkKnight” to all of you.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:26AM
amanda at 8:02AM, Sept. 5, 2008
(online)
Ooh, agreed on that time frame, BlkKnight.

DAJB, you bring up some really good points - we definitely should have worked out some specific definitions and criteria for each category, and I like the idea of the panelists being responsible for ensuring that the comics belong in their categories (I should have totally done that this year, but…that would have been a TON of reading).

On the publicity front…that was a little tricky. The admins/mods were awesome about news posts and stickied threads which helped a lot. People plugged it on their comics and in their forum signatures. UsedBooks ran a Project Wonderful campaign. BenGo with The Floating Lightbulb did a really nice piece on the awards (and he's not associated with the Duck or PS) so we got some off-site interest. We did probably the best we could do on the relatively short notice, but I think that, while planning the awards for 2009, publicity should DEFINITELY be a topic.

Top navigation? Check. I didn't even think about the commenting and then having to scroll down - and some of those presentations were LONG (which, personally, I think is awesome). ^.^
Skullbie at 5:55PM, Sept. 5, 2008
(online)
The awards this year were wonderful, my only beef was the judges panel thing. The comic gets through tons of popular votes only to have 3-4 people decide if it wins?
And from the discussions that went on in certain panels i was in a lot were biased, letting a comic shine through not because it deserved too but because they liked/dislike it persoanlly. Not naming a name here but one even confessed he didn't read more than 2 of the comics up for judging dismissing the rest- and the panel was very plot oriented.

The DD awards is fairly new- but i think with this year it's grown in respect tremendously. My suggestion is provide clear as crystal guidelines to what they should judge the comics on. (i.e.: best traditional must be done by hand, good line quality, less digital, etc) and create an actually private forum that only the judges can get into to encourage discussion(with this years tiki mail shenanigans it hindered discussion)

With the forum people from all the panels can flit into the discussion and make sure someone's not saying' i only read 2 of them and i'm reading the other 3 cuz they're stupid!' and get him off the panel. And actual discussion will occur with ‘did we judge it right for the category?’

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:46PM
usedbooks at 6:13PM, Sept. 5, 2008
(online)
I think panels worked better than popular vote. A lot of the comics that won this year were truly outstanding but no where near as well known as their competing finalists. A popular vote would cause sweeping of many categories that a popular comic might sort of fit but not truly excel in. (In fact, we saw this happen in the lists of finalists.)

Popular votes require no logic/explanation at all. People will vote for their favorites regardless of whether they are the best – and most will not even look at the other finalists before deciding.

However, I think the panels were too small. Three people can't really provide the different angles needed, and one might just agree/give in to whatever the others think. I think panels of five or six would work better. – And that might have been possible if we hadn't squeezed this all into such a short time frame.

The communication was tricky too. I agree with Skullbie about having a forum - but it would need to be designed so that people couldn't view discussions where their comics were competing. (Not too hard to do. Simply have a forum with private/passworded boards.) Plus, additional judges could be given access if discussion hit a stalemate. – Or every judge who is not a finalist could access that board. That way, it would not be a limited panel at all.

Or we could just have judges be on the honor system. (As long as they don't post in their competition discussion, it wouldn't hurt if they “peeked” anyway.)

I believe that beginning the proceedings earlier would help a lot. Start getting volunteers for judges and presentations at least a month before even nominations begin. The volunteer judges would, of course, only be assigned to panels after the finalists are named.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:37PM
amanda at 6:18PM, Sept. 5, 2008
(online)
Agreed Skullbie - the panel bit was a little shaky, but I think there's potential there. I like it better than a straight up popular vote to be sure. But yes - we DEFINITELY need specific category definitions along with some suggested criteria in place before next year's awards even OPEN.

It's something I'll work on over the next couple months (I can take my sweet, sweet, SWEET time with it, too - that's kinda nice) and toss it on the boards for discussion. I find it helpful to have that groundwork laid out before finessing.

What would you think about possibly finalizing a category list and a general rules list about a month before voting even begins and releasing those publically? That way, interested creators could have plenty of time to promote the awards and offer suggestions as to what categories they'd best fit. Then when voting comes, the voters are prepared a bit more. Theoretically, of course.
Skullbie at 6:53PM, Sept. 5, 2008
(online)
usedbooks
Or we could just have judges be on the honor system. (As long as they don't post in their competition discussion, it wouldn't hurt if they “peeked” anyway.)

It would hurt the judging process a bit, like knowing your friend in another panel is probably pressing f5 over and over to see what they're saying and you listed his comic as #5 pick…
There are plenty of ways to block accounts out from subforums though ;)

@Amanda
Wonderful idea- The list would be hard to make with some categories (for example humor and romance, even my comic was a nominee for romance and it is in fact, not romance) So leaving the qualifications a bit loose rather than strict would be better.
There's obviously going to be fans who vote the comic into every category^^ but maybe on the 2009 voting page have a description of what they should be looking for- maybe it'll jar their memory into thinking ‘hey white noise is good original sci-fi!’ etc.
amanda at 7:54PM, Sept. 5, 2008
(online)
UB, I like the idea of larger panels, but yeah…probably should keep the decision-making process hidden from the nominees. That's mostly the reason I didn't post who the panelists were for each category - I didn't want people PQing them and demanding answers and such.

Ha, yes, there were people who just copy/pasted the same comic into every single category - we chucked those ballots. One notable example that you'll appreciate was Plastic for every category. “Plastic? A western? Really?”
JustNoPoint at 8:09PM, Sept. 5, 2008
(online)
I can set up a forum that can do everything needed.

I thought about asking you if you wanted to go that route this year but it was too short of notice to set up.

All that we would need is when it comes time to judge the comics 1 person would have to be trusted as admin. Everyone else would be given titles and allowed permissions only in boards that the title grants them.

More than 1 title can be given. So I could have the Action and Mystery title giving me access to the Action and Mystery boards.

Can even allow uploading so users can upload their presentation pages and such. Think of the Off Hours forum Amanda, except with more titles.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:12PM
amanda at 9:46PM, Sept. 5, 2008
(online)
That would be awesome, JNP! Yeah, this year, I pushed everything through really quickly - I was worried about losing momentum and interest ^.^
lefarce at 9:53PM, Sept. 5, 2008
(online)
The DD awards is fairly new

Um, no. No it is not, young one. You see long long ago, back when even I first came onto DD, the awards were being planned, thought out, and even put into action. They've been there. They've just FAILED over and over again. I was once even part of a small group of people tasked to get the awards back on track. However, I moved and the others got lazy or something, killing that plan.

Amanda here has put a huge amount of effort and her own talent into getting this thing alive and running, and in this since it is new, and it is good. Better than good, even. It follows the same basic rules the original had, but manages to blow the original plan out of the water with it's fantastic presentation, choices, and organization. The comics made to annouce each winner were pretty great too.

Awesome job, Amanda. I hope you do this again, it was a blast. Also wanted to thank everyone who not only nominated me, but voted for me, and those who voted for me. And congrats to everyone else who won an award!

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:33PM
mlai at 11:08PM, Sept. 5, 2008
(online)
1. I like panels better than popular votes for the final decision. As said, mob rule is not to be trusted. Democracy is flawed.

2. That said, I think panel judges need to be chosen more carefully. Beggars can't be choosers, but if we had a choice we should choose those with (1)dedicated forum presence, (2)DD presence in terms of active comics, (3)DD forum reputation for being intelligent mature and fair. None of this "I'll only read 2 of the finalists' comics."

3. I also think that for each award, we need each of the panelists to write a small paragraph on why he/she chose the comic. Because for some categories, me and some others were scratching our heads over why the winner won over the rest.

4. Some categories should be combined… Most Helpful DD + Most Friendly DD. Autobiographical + Slice of Life. Etc.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
DAJB at 11:27PM, Sept. 5, 2008
(online)
usedbooks
I think panels worked better than popular vote. A lot of the comics that won this year were truly outstanding but no where near as well known as their competing finalists. Popular votes require no logic/explanation at all. People will vote for their favorites regardless of whether they are the best – and most will not even look at the other finalists before deciding.
I'd agree with this. Popular votes are, in my opinion, a waste of everyone's time and effort. They do not reflect quality, just popularity. Why have the awards at all if you can just lift the winners from the current rankings?

usedbooks
However, I think the panels were too small. I think panels of five or six would work better.
This is a fair point. The larger a panel is, the less chance there is of its decision being unduly influenced by the particular bias of any one or two individuals on it. The problem, I suspect, is practical. Even at the eleventh hour there were still panels struggling to find three volunteers and good old Amanda (God bless her!) had to step in to make up the numbers.

Skullbie
From the discussions that went on in certain panels i was in a lot were biased, letting a comic shine through not because it deserved too but because they liked/dislike it persoanlly. Not naming a name here but one even confessed he didn't read more than 2 of the comics up for judging dismissing the rest- and the panel was very plot oriented.
That is a shame. It certainly didn't happen in either of the panels I was in. Neither reached a unanimous decision; both were decided by majority vote. In one, I agreed with the decision and someone else's choice lost out; in the other, I lost the argument but the winner was so good that it could easily have gone either way and I can't complain.

The bias of plot vs other criteria is an issue. I'm sure there are categories where the decision has been influenced by a preference for plot-driven comics but there are also categories where the decision appears to have been influenced by a bias against them (too much damn reading, I guess!) I've already suggested that having a separate serious and humourous award could avoid this in some of the larger categories and, theoretically, if it is also possible to put larger panels together, that kind of thing should be less of an issue in the future.
amanda at 11:42PM, Sept. 5, 2008
(online)
Le(la!)Farce, thank you ^.^ You're sweet. I was really pleased with how well-received everything was despite the shaky parts.

Mlai, I completely agree - hopefully, things won't be as rushed next year, and panelists can be chosen with more care. I like your criteria. The combinations are a bit tricky - I think we'd have to get a golden list of what specific traits a comic in a particular category would have…and then go from there. To me, autobio and slice are completely different - but if we set a definition, they'd probably share so many of the same qualities that it wouldn't make sense to separate.

Oh man, just thinking about how different the winners list would look if we had gone with the popular vote. Ohhhhhhh man.

dajb
The bias of plot vs other criteria is an issue.
That was mostly my fault, I think. I didn't make it a priority to define category characteristics and checkpoints for judging purposes. A lot of this should be cleared up with that magical golden list of category definitions we keep talking about…that I'll hammer out a rough draft for at some point - hopefully soonish.
Skullbie at 11:43PM, Sept. 5, 2008
(online)
mlai
2. That said, I think panel judges need to be chosen more carefully. Beggars can't be choosers, but if we had a choice we should choose those with (1)dedicated forum presence, (2)DD presence in terms of active comics, (3)DD forum reputation for being intelligent mature and fair. None of this "I'll only read 2 of the finalists' comics."
I disagree with the forum presence thing, as being on the forum doesn't make you smartter or better than the ones who are not, panelists outside should be allowed as well.
I do agree some filtering should be going on (like people getting their friends to register to vote for them or sabotage another comic) could be an issue if DD awards gets bigger next year(i feel it will)

mlai
3. I also think that for each award, we need each of the panelists to write a small paragraph on why he/she chose the comic. Because for some categories, me and some others were scratching our heads over why the winner won over the rest.
Excellent idea! Easier to sniff out ‘bad eggs’ you were concerned about too.
mlai
4. Some categories should be combined… Most Helpful DD + Most Friendly DD. Autobiographical + Slice of Life. Etc.
Those two categories aren't the same though, it's a bit offensive to call slice of life an autobiography too… If anything people are begging for more awards ^^
DAJB at 2:17AM, Sept. 6, 2008
(online)
mlai
I also think that for each award, we need each of the panelists to write a small paragraph on why he/she chose the comic. Because for some categories, me and some others were scratching our heads over why the winner won over the rest.
You know, before the awards, I was in favour of this (well, a combined statement for each panel, not each panelist). Having read Skullbie's comment on the lack of critical thinking that went into some panelists' decisions, however, I've changed my mind. I think it could turn what should be an extra pat on the back for the winner, into a flame war/witch hunt.

To moderate the panels more effectively in future, we do possibly need bigger panels but people will be less likely to volunteer if they feel they might be attacked by anyone who disagrees with their reasoning.

The process has taught us some valuable lessons for next year but, where we disagree with the final decision, I think we just have to put that down to personal taste. And, to some extent, that's always going to be an issue whatever criteria we apply.
mlai at 3:41AM, Sept. 6, 2008
(online)
@ DAJB:
I think that problem would emerge whenever anything gets more serious and prestigious, and brushing over the decision process by keeping the panelists in the shadows doesn't solve the problem, merely hides it.

Ppl can disagree with the panelist comments if they want. It's not as if they don't disagree with their non-comments right now. If you want to avoid flames, the comments can be anonymous, merely labeled as Panelist X.

I personally think autobiographical and slice of life share very many similarities, because autobiographical is necessarily slice of life.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
n_y_japlander at 4:02AM, Sept. 6, 2008
(offline)
mlai
I personally think autobiographical and slice of life share very many similarities, because autobiographical is necessarily slice of life.

Being nominated and a finalist in both categories, I do not agree… how ever I did not know why Raw Fish was in the Autobiographical category… as it is not about me, or my life, just based on what I encounter and see around me.

I my mind, every comic that lacks supernatural creatures and actions, are slice of life…..

There were a couple of comics that were in the finals that do not use this site.. I mean that when one goes to their comic page, they are redirected to an other site. To me, this should not have happened….

there are others who have a thumbnail and link off the site (for legal reasons), but still use the comments on their DD page, and are actively involved with the site (reading other comics, commenting on other comics, participating in the forums…) If the person is active, that is OK…

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:19PM
Skullbie at 4:20AM, Sept. 6, 2008
(online)
@n_y_japlander

Looking at his comic he probly doesn't read slice of life much, maybe why he's mislead. my own comic is slice of life and the events certainly did not happen to me ever(i's be scared for life). But lets keep this discussion for 2009 when we have to define this category :P

DAJB did bring up a good point about the ‘witchhunt’. And the underlying question with it would be: ‘worth being so serious?’ The comics win the satisfaction of knowing they're awesome and a mention in platinums comic but is it really enough to get worked up over? I think not, most panelists would have the common sense to know so.

If there was a prize though….i could see things getting intense.
DAJB at 4:25AM, Sept. 6, 2008
(online)
mlai
@ DAJB: I think that problem would emerge whenever anything gets more serious and prestigious, and brushing over the decision process by keeping the panelists in the shadows doesn't solve the problem, merely hides it.
I'm not suggesting we hide it. I just think it's more constructive to address it for the future, rather than to hold a post mortem. It's already been suggested that the panels should be made larger (if possible) and that greater care should be taken over the choice of panelists. I think both of those measures will do a lot to ensure “fair play” in the future.

mlai
It is, I suppose, but slice of life is not necessarily autobiographical. That's the kind of issue that's going to be difficult when it comes to defining genre criteria. Are there any super hero, fantasy or western comics that aren't also adventure comics, for example? There are going to be some interesting debates over this and Amanda is wise (or maybe just brave and foolhardy?!) to want to start the process early!

n_y_japlander
There were a couple of comics that were in the finals that do not use this site.. I mean that when one goes to their comic page, they are redirected to an other site. To me, this should not have happened….
Oh, now that's just wrong! Something else for the panelists to police!
SpANG at 10:57AM, Sept. 6, 2008
(online)
First of all, great job to amanda, all of the panelists, and the presenters. It was wonderful!

The argument against popular vote choosing the winner is that someone with more friends, not necessarily more talent, will win. The argument against panelists is that they may not be as mixed in opinion as they could be, and that overall it's the OPINION of the panel that makes the choice. At least, that's my understanding of it. Not that I necessarily agree with it, I think they all did great. But maybe it would make it seem more legit if people campaign to be panelists, rather than first come first serve? Like a vote before the vote?

And YES, I agree that DD award nominations and awards should go to comic accounts that ARE PRIMARILY ON DRUNK DUCK, not just mirrored here. Otherwise they aren't really “Drunk Duck” awards.

We can help more with publicity. Though skool did write newsposts about it, the fact that the newsposts switched to the right nav (and became more noticed) after the DD awards started was bad timing. We'll be sure to trump it up in newsposts more next year. Plus, if someone could make posters and sig banners (like amanda made) we'll put them in next time.

As far as more views go, we need to get more stuff OFF the forums and make them more visual. This is a comic community after all. ;) Maybe an account can be made where all of the panelist “campaign posters” can be held? How about an account where we show off the nominees? The reason I suggest this is that updated accounts show on the front page and are noticed.

My other opinion is that even though you did a fantastic job amanda, I'd like to see a different spin on it every year. Just like subcultured gave amanda pointers initially, amanda should have the honor of passing the mantle, and choose the organizer/designer/director for next year, but still play a huge advisory part.

I'll try to help in any way I can. Just ask.
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:53PM
usedbooks at 11:14AM, Sept. 6, 2008
(online)
First, I want to add one more “feedback” I forgot to. I think having more awards this year was definitely good! It let a wider range of comics be represented and get some recognition that they deserve – and I think it really added to the level of interest too. (I'm sure part of that was better publicity, but I do think having such a range of awards added something.) It also made the presentations a bigger deal and more fun as a project in themselves.

SpANG
But maybe it would make it seem more legit if people campaign to be panelists, rather than first come first serve? Like a vote before the vote?
That seems a little too much. It's hard enough to get volunteers. Besides, many good, objective people won't want to go through that and therefore be turned away, while the ones with “big voices” would be judging. Plus “popular” people would be picked over people with less presence in the community. In the end, I think it would just take too much time (which kills the awards year after year…) and end up with fewer judges (which is, in my opinion, entirely counter-productive).

I think having a forum where a couple overseeing admins can watch panel discussions would be enough to curb any unfair biases that might come up.

(If we started working on it early enough, we could even get a couple guest judges from outside the DD community. That could add another dimension of objectivity.)

The panels I was on were mostly very good except that the PQ system led to communication difficulties. My only problem was panel members that presented a list or the name of a favorite without explaining why. While I don't agree with putting up paragraphs explaining judging decisions on the awards page, I DO think that each panel should submit a short paragraph to the “judging committee/coordinator” when they submit their decision.

Also, I'm all for an “after party” in the comic's forum where judges can discuss their reasoning with finalists as a sort of optional thing and fairly separate from the presentations themselves – to remove any potential unpleasantness from the actual award “ceremony.”

SpANG
My other opinion is that even though you did a fantastic job amanda, I'd like to see a different spin on it every year. Just like subcultured gave amanda pointers initially, amanda should have the honor of passing the mantle, and choose the organizer/designer/director for next year, but still play a huge advisory part.
I don't know about “a new spin” every year. I think new things should be implemented (esp. new categories – keep some, change others), but the real goal should be to build upon the things that work and change those that don't. The awards will mean more and have more validity if they are eventually standardized to at least the same type of judging process. It's great to have a new coordinator each year – just for the sheer work involved. I don't think we should make amanda feel a need to “name someone” (since, it is a lot of work, and poor amanda might feel like she's assigning a burden, and it's hard to say who will have the time/motivation…) but definitely can be a good adviser – and we shouldn't “throw out” all the things that actually worked well. Whoever takes the initiative, more power to them! If it's subcultured or amanda again, so be it. (Beggars can't be choosers.)
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:37PM
SpANG at 11:59AM, Sept. 6, 2008
(online)
usedbooks
I don't know about “a new spin” every year. I think new things should be implemented (esp. new categories – keep some, change others), but the real goal should be to build upon the things that work and change those that don't. The awards will mean more and have more validity if they are eventually standardized to at least the same type of judging process. It's great to have a new coordinator each year – just for the sheer work involved. I don't think we should make amanda feel a need to “name someone” (since, it is a lot of work, and poor amanda might feel like she's assigning a burden, and it's hard to say who will have the time/motivation…) but definitely can be a good adviser – and we shouldn't “throw out” all the things that actually worked well. Whoever takes the initiative, more power to them! If it's subcultured or amanda again, so be it. (Beggars can't be choosers.)
I just don't want this to become a perceived “certain people only” club. I'm sure there are tons of people that would like a shot at designing/directing the awards.
amanda at 2:12PM, Sept. 6, 2008
(online)
spang
sig banners (like amanda made)
Just to give credit where it's due, the banner was made by UsedBooks ^.~

I guess I always just assumed someone else would be spearheading the awards next year, though I'd be happy to help plan and such.

Really, I should have caught more of the problems in the finalist groups than I did during the initial tally. I'm so lazy!
ttyler at 2:28PM, Sept. 6, 2008
(online)
First and foremost…..Amanda needs the biggest, most golden-est (ha!! I made a new word!!) Award for her hard work and her leadership in getting this off the ground, and making it very enjoyable! I was finding myself waking up at 4 in the morning to see the new results……..so that alone is an achievement of EPIC proportions.

I had a few issues with the way voting was handled. 3 judges aren't enough to fairly vote on a particular comic, but this can easily be fixed next time around.
And a better definition of what genre a comic is, would be cool. I also totally agree that any comic Nominated, HAS to have been updated recently…and I'll go a step farther and say it should have been updated the proceeding 4 weeks (Thats a month you know….)to make it eligable. I can only speak for myself…but I bust my butt making sure there's a page delivered on time, or at least, within the week. I know this is web comics, but some kind of professional standard has to be considered.
I know I will try to participate more next time, cause I had so much fun with Amanda's vision.
Until then, all I can do is to work harder on my comics, and make them better than they are now.
Best B/w will be mine……….oh yesssssss…..it will…..BWAHHH-HAAAA-HHA…“COUGH”…..“HACK”……bWAHHHHHHH!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:34PM
amanda at 2:36PM, Sept. 6, 2008
(online)
Ah, just as a general heads up, we had a “must have been updated in the last 60 days” in order to qualify, unless it was a completed comic (like Elijah and Azuu). Probably better to lower that to a month though, as people are suggesting.

Tim, you never fail to make me laugh ^.^
SpANG at 3:49PM, Sept. 6, 2008
(online)
ttyler
I also enjoyed your photo presentations
Oh, man so did I! They were great!

I actually also think that the 2008 DD awards should be considered for nomination of “Best community/colab comic” for next year! :)
ttyler at 4:21PM, Sept. 6, 2008
(online)
I agree!!! :-)
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:34PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved