Drunk Duck Awards

DD Awards 2009 - Choosing and Defining Categories
Hyena H_ll at 11:03PM, March 17, 2009
(online)
lba
I'll also second the gay/lesbian genre. I've been poking through the listings and it looks like the number of comics we have that feature gay/lesbian/other sexual preference themes has grown and they're not all yaoi and yuri. Some of them fit in other categories, but most seem to be otherwise. Might have to come up with a better name than gay/lesian/other sexual preference though.
Third on the GLBT category. I mean, a romance comic is a romance comic, whether it's yuri or yaoi or whatever. But what about comics that focus more on the GLBT experience/ lifestyle instead of the sex/romance? They're a little bit different than “slice of life” because they have dealing with sexuality/gender/etc. as their conceptual axis. I think it's a significant enough “niche” that it deserves its own category.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:52PM
ozoneocean at 1:48AM, March 18, 2009
(online)
I dunno…
There are a few gay and lesbian comics I follow here, but even though the sexuality is prominent, there are still other categories the comic falls into. It just feels weird to single out comics based on the sexual preferences of the main characters- whatever those may be.

Say a great funny comic like Rainbow Connection, it's hilarious and most definitely draws on the gay/lesbian lifestyles of the chracters for its comedy, but putting it in a separate award category for that fact would seem like … I dunno, almost condescending …

And you'd be grouping strikingly different types of comic together just because of the tenuous link of sexuality. How would you judge that? Gayest? Most camp? Most sensitive and in-depth exploration of the issues affecting homosexual people today? Best art? Funniest? :)

Every way I look at it seems either superficial (that might just be me though I'll admit), patronising, clunky, or like we need to coral them off because they can't make it with the rest.

——-
I could be wrong though. Maybe I'm looking at things completely the wrong way? It wouldn't be the first time.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:33PM
Skullbie at 1:44PM, March 18, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
I dunno…
There are a few gay and lesbian comics I follow here, but even though the sexuality is prominent, there are still other categories the comic falls into. It just feels weird to single out comics based on the sexual preferences of the main characters- whatever those may be.

It's more the theme of the comic rather than ‘singling it out’. And we have an anthro category which i consider as distinct a genre as glbt(and as varied too), anthro can fall into many other categories as well.

I don't think it would be condescending at all, we had many yaoi/yuri comics in the running last year and an award for that would be a fine addition, i can't think of any glbt artist who'd think it a bad thing.

As for judging; it would be like overall just with gay themes to it. (exactly like anthro category last year)
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:47PM
subcultured at 2:48PM, March 18, 2009
(online)
lol
*imagines the banner

“gayest comic of 2009”
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:04PM
Skullbie at 2:53PM, March 18, 2009
(online)
yeaaah…'Best GLBT comic of 2009' would go over better.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:47PM
amanda at 3:05PM, March 18, 2009
(online)
I'm still leaning towards *not* having a GLTB category. It's a little weird to have a category specifically targeting a preference. “Best Heterosexual Comic” as a category would be screamed at, for example.

As we saw last year, tons of nominees had a GLTB theme. What I see on DD is less of an attitude of “I'm reading this comic because it has a gay/lesbian theme, woo!” (kind of like what you'd see on SJ)… there's more of an attitude of “I'm reading this because it's an AWESOME comic for several reasons.”

I dunno. I can see both sides of the debate here, and I'm not adamantly opposed to opening a GLTB category… I just don't personally think it's necessary.

On a side note, sorry for starting conversations and then disappearing. Yay vacation.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:51AM
ozoneocean at 7:08PM, March 18, 2009
(online)
Yeah, I'm not completely against it either.

But as Amanda says, is that gay theme as strong a unfiying one as something else like Anthro, Scifi, or slice of life?

Eh… I dunno. What it really comes down to is what people want though. If a lot of people want that as an award catagory then it should probably stay. :)

Jonko at 7:56PM, March 18, 2009
(online)
Well if the problem is that we shouldn't only single out GLBT comics/artists, then we should just add a category that promotes or makes people aware of a certain issue. This can include social things like being GLBT or a minority, or making people aware of some other issue in the world through a comic.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:10PM
lba at 10:35PM, March 18, 2009
(online)
Maybe a category more dealing with things like lifestyles, choices, growing up, etc. might be better. Like Jonko said, a category more dealing with comics that raise social/moral/ethical/etc. issues might be in order. At that point, I see it as going hand in hand with the spiritual/philosophy category and we could just make them all one category without much issue.

My main thought in allowing for the GLTB category, is just simply that a lot of the ones I've seen lately are focusing solely on that sexual issue and how it affects the characters rather than having gay characters in the storyline as if it were another genre. But I might not be seeing a large chunk of them and those ones are in the minority. It's hard for me to tell. If we were to turn it into a larger social issues kind of category, that would obviate the need for a specific GLTB.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:29PM
Amelius at 2:08PM, March 19, 2009
(online)

amanda
Horror
Content and plot stays inline with established horror genre. Should be judged on art and content. Last year's winner: Charby (which is not actually a horror story)
That was 2007 actually, last year's winner was the lovely “Manifestations” :)
You're absolutely correct though, CTV only has horror elements so I thought it was silly that I even got nominations for that category again. It doesn't help that I don't even know what category it fits into either!

As sad as I'd be to see the two categories go, I agree that traditional and digital art categories seemed to confuse people judging by what was nominated for them previously. Plus it doesn't really cover people that hand draw then computer color, unless it's assumed that coloring digitally makes the whole image a digital qualifier and line art isn't a factor(as opposed to vector art done in flash or illustrator which are entirely digital, that is)

Otherwise I second the motion to combine them into a category for “Best Media Use”

amanda
Abstract/Random
Refers to subject matter. There is no specific plot. Content does not follow a specific theme. A gaming comic is NOT an abstract/random comic. A comic with content that goes from pancakes to presidents to platypi IS an abstract/random comic. Judging should be content-oriented. Last year's winner: Brainfuzz
Exzachly
To me this one was always confusing… I know its the way DD organizes it, but it doesn't necessarily make any sense. Must an abstract comic necessarily be a random comic or vice versa? What the heck is an abstract comic anyways? Judging by your explanation, I think it would be better renamed as the “Best Anthology Comic” award.

Perhaps in the description, it ought to include non-sequiter and absurdity, stream of consciousness, surreality and such which seem to be the hallmarks of a “random” comic. Perhaps “purposefully incoherent in the interest of being silly”, as they rarely follow logical patterns.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:52AM
DarkChibiShadow at 5:27PM, March 19, 2009
(online)
Oh, uh, I wonder when those balled thingy's will be out.

*flail*

Oh, ah I just made myself look like an idiot.

*oh no*

(Can't believe I kept forgeting to put that nom. up…)

K.A.L.A-dan! Shipper!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:07PM
royduncan100 at 6:17PM, March 19, 2009
(online)
protagonist! i dr.argon am the greatest villain ever!!! i am killing the top ten on the dd site!what more must i do to antagonize you people! i will be nomonated for that award again and i shall win! i must be the first to repete in this catagory. if not, i shudder to think of the depths i might sink to exact revenge
upon you all.with that being said i would love to present an award.it would be some thing you won't ever forget.

amanda
I've had several people ask when the planning for the 2009 Awards will kick off, so I figured it's that time ^.^ There was some confusion over category definitions and what should be judged for each category. Let's hammer those details out NOW so the process will (theoretically) be much smoother once we really get going.

*A DISCUSSION REGARDING RULES WILL BE POSTED IN A DIFFERENT THREAD*

Here is a list of last year's categories with tentative definitions. I'd really like feedback and opinions and additions/subtractions to the information. These are DEFINITELY not set in stone yet. Also, for the record, this is not necessarily criteria that was followed in 2008 - so you'll notice some new criteria that would have disqualified previous nominees. Onward!

Abstract/Random
Refers to subject matter. There is no specific plot. Content does not follow a specific theme. A gaming comic is NOT an abstract/random comic. A comic with content that goes from pancakes to presidents to platypi IS an abstract/random comic. Judging should be content-oriented. Last year's winner: Brainfuzz

Action
Refers to art, pacing, dialogue, and narration of action scenes specifically. This can be fights, shoot-outs, chases, etc. Comics in this category should not be judged on art/pacing/dialogue of non-action scenes. Judging includes both content and art. Last year's winner: Scorch

Adult
This one is pretty obvious. A-rated comics only. Should be judged based on story and art. Last year's winner: Xolta

Adventure
Long-form comics with adventure-oriented storylines. This is not a slice-of-life comic with a few 2-3 page mini-arcs with adventures. This is a full-on, go go go adventure. Judging should be content-oriented. Last year's winner: The Dreamer

Antagonist
Any form/style of comic with a recurring antagonist. The antagonist is pitted against the main character(s). Could be a person, an institution, a trait… Judging should be content-oriented. Last year's winner: Dr. Argon of Villain Next Door (with new rules in place, Dr. Argon would actually be a protagonist)

Anthro
Any form/style of comic involving animals or animal-human hybrids as the main characters. Should be judged on both art and content. Last year's winner: What You Don't See

Autobio
Any form/style of comic which has been specifically stated to be autobiographical or semi-autobiographical. Should be 100% grounded in real life. A semi-autobio with an alien best friend would NOT qualify. Judging will be both on art and content. Last year's winner: Pictures of You

Backgrounds
This applies to background art ONLY. Can be meaningful, scenic, funny, etc. Judging should be art-oriented. Last year's winner: Shades

Black/White
Self-explanatory. Black and white art only. One or two additional contrast colors used sparingly is allowed. A comic which has started in color and has reverted to black and white full-time is eligible. A previously black and white comic which is now updating in full color is NOT eligible. Judging is art-oriented. Last year's winner: Opey the Warhead

Color
Again, self-explanatory. A primarily full color comic with areas of black and white for emphasis is eligible. A comic which has started in color and has reverted to black and white full-time is NOT eligible. A previously black and white comic which is now updating in full color is eligible. Judging is art-oriented. Last year's winner: Dark Rising

Community Project
A project openly posted on the forums which allows participation in some form from ANY Drunk Duck user. This is not for private collaborations between a couple of members. Judging should be both art and content. Last year's winner: DD Zombies

Dialogue
Believable dialogue full of personality. Judging should be content-oriented. Last year's winner: Simply Sarah

Digital Art
Comic must be more than 50% digital work. Tablet or mouse-drawn, digital inks or colors or effects, 3D models, etc. Judging should be art-oriented. Last year's winner: The Dreamer (I VOTE THIS CATEGORY SHOULD BE REMOVED, mostly due to confusion)

Traditional Art
Comic must be more than 50% traditional work. Hand-drawn and inked. Judging should be art-oriented. Last year's winner: Engine (I VOTE THIS CATEGORY SHOULD BE REMOVED mostly due to confusion)

Experimental
This refers to a variety of styles and mediums used within one comic. This is not for changes of style or medium due to artistic improvements. Last year's winner: Locoma

Fantasy
Comics with a fantasy setting and characters. Mythical places, creatures, and/or abilities. Fantasy is much more organic, magic-based in nature (as opposed to technology-based sci-fi). Judging should be art and content. Last year's winner: Para Ten

Friendliest DDer
An unfailingly friendly, supportive, and active forum poster and comic commenter. Winner chosen by popular vote. No judging required. Last year's winner: Skoolmunkee

Funniest DDer
Solid humor and wit from a DrunkDucker. NOT from his/her comic but specifically for forum and commenting presence. Winner chosen by popular vote. No judging required. Last year's winner: (TIE) GhostRunner, LeFarce

Most Helpful DDer
A Ducker who exhibits helpfulness and provides solutions for others. Should be active on the boards. Winner chosen by popular vote. No judging required. Last year's winner: OzoneOcean

Horror
Content and plot stays inline with established horror genre. Should be judged on art and content. Last year's winner: Charby (which is not actually a horror story)

Humor
Any style/form comic. Judged based on content. Last year's winner: Last Place Comics

Most Improved
This is judged based on progress made since August 2008. Judging is primarily art-oriented. Last year's winner: Used Books

Layouts
Pacing, aesthetics. Interesting or unusual paneling, great use of space. Judging is both art and content. Last year's winner: Rainbow Carousel

Manga
For manga-styled comics. Should be drawn and colored/toned accordingly. Last year's winner: Blue0

Mystery
Long-form story comics with one central mystery or several mysteries. The plot is essentially the attempts to solve said mystery. Judging should be content-oriented. LAst year's winner: Tales from the Cornerstone

Noir
I'm really unsure how to define this. Seems to be visually dark with a pessimistic, drama tone - at least, that's how it works in the movies. Should be judged on story and art. Last year's winner: Danielle Dark

Deliciously Offensive
The comic that cracks you up even though you know you shouldn't laugh. The dark, perverse comic you wouldn't admit to reading. Judging is on story and art. Last year's winner: Last Place Comics

Overall
The cream of the crop. Story and art are superior and engaging. All elements are at the top of the game. Last year's winner: Simply Sarah

Parody/Tribute
A parody of or tribute to an established concept or institution. Last year's winner: Super Temps

Photo
Any form/genre of comic told using actual photographs. Manipulated photographs are acceptable. Non-copyrighted content unless permission is given and documented. Boo to those who use Google Image Search without giving credit! Last year's winner: Lost

Pixel/Sprite/Stock
Any genre made with stock images or sprites - these can be custom or downloaded (with credit). Judged on story and composition. Last year's winner: RPJay

Political
Any form with politics-focused content. Humor or drama. Judged primarily on content. Last year's winner: Taking Stock

Most Profound
A comic with a deeper meaning - something that makes you think. Soul-searching, multi-faceted comic. Judging should be content-oriented. Last year's winner: Broken Things

Protagonist
The main character rocks! Judged based on content. Last year's winner: Charby from Charby the Vampirate

Romance
This comic will have romance as the central theme not just a side plot. Could this alternatively be turned into Best Couple? Last year's winner: The Dreamer

Sci-Fi
A futuristic or alternate universe. Technology and machine-based instead of organic like fantasy stories. Judged by both content and art. Last year's winner: White Noise

Sketch
The style of the artwork is like something you'd see in a sketchbook. Messy, rough, with an unfinished sort of look. Judged on art. Last year's winner: Scorch. (I VOTE THIS CATEGORY SHOULD BE REMOVED as it mostly goes hand in hand with black and white)

Slice of Life
This doesn't have to be autobio. A story or strip that deals with ordinary, every day life and situations. A slice of life that starts leaning towards sci-fi or fantasy or supernatural would NOT be eligible. Judged on art and story. Last year's winner: Raw Fish

Spiritual
A story or strip with a spiritual bent. Any comic that specifically presents either a system of beliefs or an opposition to an organizied belief system, including, but not limited to Christianity, Wicca, Paganism, Church of Elvis (yes there is one), Atheism, Agnostic, Buddah, Hindu, Tantric Arts. The mythology should be at the core of the story. Last year's winner: Due East

Stick Figure
This one is pretty obvious. Any style or form. Judged on story and art. Last year's winner: Frank & Vinny

Superhero
The main character or characters must be superheroes or supervillains. Any form or content. No copyrighted characters used without permission. Last year's winner: Super Temps

Tense Scenes
Dialogue, art, pacing, mood - applies to tense scenes only like arguments, waiting, tough decisions. Judged on art and content. Last year's winner: Shades

Website Design
Ease of use, aesthetics, quick to load, etc. This applies to the design and layout of the site ONLY, not the comic. Last year's winner: Ever Hollow

Western
Any form/style. The setting takes place in the old West or similar. Last year's winner: Hades

Discuss! Let's smooth these out ^.^
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:12PM
megan_rose at 6:20PM, March 19, 2009
(online)
I vote for no LGBT category. I myself am reeeeeeeeeeeeeally tired of getting labeled as “LESBIAN COMIC ARTIST WHO DRAWS LESBIANS. LESBIANS!!! DID I MENTION LESBIANS?”

I think anything that could fit until LGBT could also fit under another category. Romance, slice-of-life, sci-fi, fantasy, etc. I'd rather not have my comics segregated into a little gay ghetto.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:59PM
Anubis at 10:17PM, March 19, 2009
(online)
Digital and Traditional should be kept. but how they are defined could be a bit more explicit. Traditional art could be defined as where the art is drawn on paper first and perhaps even coloured before being scanned and postwork done. where Digital could be best defined as being done only on the computer (be it tablets or the use of digital art software) Conversely where many may see the use of 3D software as “cheating” having a category dedicated to the use of 3D models may even be useful. theres plenty of decent ones that use 3D art software or ingame 3D (Cru being a prime example)
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:54AM
fukujinzuke at 12:51AM, March 20, 2009
(online)
How about… “Pinup Gallery”?
Judged by quality of art collection, theme of the gallery, and creative layout of the comic website?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:32PM
JoeL_CQB at 1:31AM, March 20, 2009
(online)
fukujinzuke
Judged by quality of art collection, theme of the gallery, and creative layout of the comic website?
ehh… i'd say no on that, it would kinda be like best art. but excluding comics, which is what this site is more about.

and with the digital/traditional, i'd say kick it out. mostly because of confusion, and mashing of the two. for example, some pages of charby is done on computer and some are done via colored pencil. where would that fall under?
usedbooks at 7:28AM, March 20, 2009
(online)
fukujinzuke
I'm gonna vote “no” because these are comic awards.

Someone
and with the digital/traditional, i'd say kick it out. mostly because of confusion, and mashing of the two. for example, some pages of charby is done on computer and some are done via colored pencil. where would that fall under?
Yeah, I'm torn. I don't think it's good to say “Best traditional art” or “Best digital art” because then you need to specify how much is digital or traditional.

Possibly “Best use of Traditional Media” and “Best Use of Digital Media”? Then it can be any comic regardless of the percent that is traditional/digital, but judging would be based on the specific techniques wherever they occur.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:37PM
fukujinzuke at 12:59PM, March 20, 2009
(online)
Oh yeah. Good point.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:32PM
Amelius at 2:03PM, March 20, 2009
(online)
Heh, sorry I kinda trailed off, lost half of my post for some reason!

Since we have a category for “Most Deliciously Offensive” why not include some sort of goody-two-shoes award? ^_^ Not with that sort of name of course, but what I have in mind is of course an award for the best inoffensive, all-ages comics. The non-adult comics that keep it clean and safe for work but still manage to entertain an audience without being lowest common denominator tripe? I'm quite sure those exist here and I'd like to see some of these get some notice! I'd suggest “Best All-Ages” or “Family Friendly” or something along those lines.

Also I agree a category for 3D comics would be nice, while I tend to prefer 2d art I think it would be nice to include comics composed with Poser or other 3d imaging software since there are probably some fine comics in this category. (I was surprised to see how many good artists actually trace Poser images for their comics, no wonder they had such a fantastic grasp on anatomy and perspective!)

I'm a little torn on the GLBT category, on one hand it seems like a good idea to include something for these comics, but on the other it does feel like these comics are being singled out for an element that may play a small part. Is there a concern that a GLBT themed romance or sci-fi could not stand a fair chance against a “hetero” counterpart in the same categories? Because if so then I think further discussion is necessary to figure something out, but judging from last year's results I think that people will know a good comic is good no matter the character's sexual orientations.

last edited on July 14, 2011 10:52AM
Jonko at 5:34PM, March 20, 2009
(online)
usedbooks
Someone
Yeah, I'm torn. I don't think it's good to say “Best traditional art” or “Best digital art” because then you need to specify how much is digital or traditional.

Possibly “Best use of Traditional Media” and “Best Use of Digital Media”? Then it can be any comic regardless of the percent that is traditional/digital, but judging would be based on the specific techniques wherever they occur.

I'm certainly not against kicking these 2 categories out, but I still think that the usage of either traditional or digital media should be recognized in some way. Could we have a category somewhere along the lines of “best inking” or something like that? I'm in awe about how well some people on this site can use a pen and paper, and feel they should be awarded for that.

lba at 10:40PM, March 21, 2009
(online)
Anubis
Digital and Traditional should be kept. but how they are defined could be a bit more explicit. Traditional art could be defined as where the art is drawn on paper first and perhaps even coloured before being scanned and postwork done. where Digital could be best defined as being done only on the computer (be it tablets or the use of digital art software) Conversely where many may see the use of 3D software as “cheating” having a category dedicated to the use of 3D models may even be useful. theres plenty of decent ones that use 3D art software or ingame 3D (Cru being a prime example)

That's pretty much how we did it last year. But you run into the problem of comics like this ( Not to plug my own comic since it's disqualified anyway, but it's an easy example. ) where 90% of the readers can't tell exactly how it was done. In this case, all the line work and inking was done traditionally with only some of the colour being done digitally. But you might not be able to tell that it was primarily done traditionally. And that's the problem with digital/traditional categories. We might be able to do it if we regard it as 100% traditionally done vs any amount of digital work. That would clear up the difference maybe a little better, since it's generally pretty easy to tell the difference of digital vs something like copic markers or coloured pencil.

Amelius
Since we have a category for “Most Deliciously Offensive” why not include some sort of goody-two-shoes award? ^_^ Not with that sort of name of course, but what I have in mind is of course an award for the best inoffensive, all-ages comics. The non-adult comics that keep it clean and safe for work but still manage to entertain an audience without being lowest common denominator tripe? I'm quite sure those exist here and I'd like to see some of these get some notice! I'd suggest “Best All-Ages” or “Family Friendly” or something along those lines.

I like the idea. But would the entire archive have to be family friendly or would it be something where you could overlook a few iffy jokes or something? I know of a lot of comics that usually keep it fairly clean, but not 100%.
ozoneocean at 12:40AM, March 22, 2009
(online)
Best all ages comic- yep definitely agree.
That's a definite thing people try to aim for in many comics, I know when I'm going through comics to feature that's something I'm interested in looking for in style (because we like to have a mix of ratings in features). It's harder to find really good E comics and it can be harder to make them that way because of the freedom you have at a place like DD, but some people do it REALLY well.

Lesbian and gay etc- don't really agree.
If there is a popular call for it, then yeah, since awards are about popular opinion afterall.
But Megan_Rose's post is the sort of thing I meant: by segregating comics into that category we're doing them a dis-service.
Say Lesbian Space Pirates is up for best comedy, best art, best SciFi and best Gay and lesbian comic and only wins in the last category? Can you see how patronising that could seem?
Then again, an award is an award, and a lot of people are happy to get one anyway, and the people who don't want to be up for certain awards can always opt out…?

Traditional art- don't agree with it.
With v=webcomics it's just too hard… So many aspects are digital these days and it'd be really a pain to have specific criteria, going around and asking people their exact method.
And what IS this idea of “traditional” anyway? That'd really mean people using techniques codified and set down by custom or something lol!
Art techniques are always, always changing, so it's easier to go by broader stuff like style rather than technique.- realistic, painterly, black and white, cartoony, photo comic, sprite/pixel art.. that sort of thing.
Going by “best drawn with pens and only scanned and cropped onto the computer”, or “best photo comic where the photos were taken with real film, developed and then scanned as opposed to digital pics” would be just a little unworkable.

-Basically, if you don't use a tablet or photoshop to make your stuff, it's not a disadvantage or advantage, your stuff is still looked on and regarded as interesting as any other comic done any other way. To most people technique isn't that important when viewing a comic, as long as it's a well done comic. -Besides, the creator can always lie about that and many do.

Anubis at 6:39AM, March 22, 2009
(online)
Hmmmm how bout “Best non traditional techniques” that would cover ingame screenshots, use of 3D art software, and other methods that don't involved drawing in a primary method of art. (not counting photographic which has its own category).
This may free up “Digital” and “Traditional” but still reconise those of us who use alternative artistic expression.

last edited on July 14, 2011 10:54AM
skyangel at 11:23AM, March 23, 2009
(online)
TEN MOST SUPPORTIVE READERS

I've noticed that there are many readers like ‘Dragonrider’as an example who have no comic of their own but have supported numerous comics faithfully ever since I have been on here myself.

Making good comics IS hard work and finding the enthusiasm to keep churning out page after page is at times quite monotonous; but I think I would be fair in saying that for the majority of the comics on here it is the comments that make it all worthwhile, especially in the early days. I know from my own efforts that even having achieved a fairly comfortable position near the top with my own comic sometimes a single comment left on my page saying something supportive at a time when I just dont feel like picking up a pencil can be extremely therapautic and motivating!
DD does have a wonderful community spirit and at a time when we are asking the readers to shout out which strips they like most, I think it would also be nice for the artists themselves to show an appreciation for the support given by some of their most loyal and supportive readers.
I'd like to see maybe ten readers each get some kind of special logo that can be attached to there avi for the year, and a trophy they can put on their profile page.
Does anyone else think this is a valid idea?
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:48PM
skyangel at 11:29AM, March 23, 2009
(online)
PS!! I'd also like to admit that I was taken totally by surprise by the DD awards last year. I think it had been running for almost a week before most of us realised that the voting was happening!! I only found out myself while visiting a comic that had a voting button on it, and i had no idea who was running it or what it was all about. Could we not have something on the main homepage this year to let everyone know? the forum seems so tucked away, and yet anything to do with Platinum seems to scream at us from the front page banners!:)
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:48PM
Jonko at 11:32AM, March 23, 2009
(online)
skyangel

I've noticed that there are many readers like ‘Dragonrider’as an example who have no comic of their own but have supported numerous comics faithfully ever since I have been on here myself.

Making good comics IS hard work and finding the enthusiasm to keep churning out page after page is at times quite monotonous; but I think I would be fair in saying that for the majority of the comics on here it is the comments that make it all worthwhile, especially in the early days. I know from my own efforts that even having achieved a fairly comfortable position near the top with my own comic sometimes a single comment left on my page saying something supportive at a time when I just dont feel like picking up a pencil can be extremely therapautic and motivating!
DD does have a wonderful community spirit and at a time when we are asking the readers to shout out which strips they like most, I think it would also be nice for the artists themselves to show an appreciation for the support given by some of their most loyal and supportive readers.
I'd like to see maybe ten readers each get some kind of special logo that can be attached to there avi for the year, and a trophy they can put on their profile page.

I agree. Even if we don't give the award to 10 readers (since that's quite a lot), we should give something to the supportive people that take the time out of their day to read our comics.
lba at 1:58PM, March 23, 2009
(online)
skyangel
PS!! I'd also like to admit that I was taken totally by surprise by the DD awards last year. I think it had been running for almost a week before most of us realised that the voting was happening!! I only found out myself while visiting a comic that had a voting button on it, and i had no idea who was running it or what it was all about. Could we not have something on the main homepage this year to let everyone know? the forum seems so tucked away, and yet anything to do with Platinum seems to scream at us from the front page banners!:)

We were talking to them about it last year. It ended up never happening for whatever reason, aside from what the admins could do for us with the newsposts. I don't know if anyone has sent anything off to Plat about it this year but I'll be looking into it as soon as I can get a chance to send an email off to them. I doubt it would hurt if a few others let it be known that they'd appreciate it either.
AWCramer at 12:22AM, March 31, 2009
(online)
Is there any differentiation between comic strips and comic books??
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:13AM
Catya at 2:19AM, April 1, 2009
(online)
How about “Best Anti-Hero”? A character who's both evil and good,a character that both saves lives and kills another?
Read Jack Dirty Paws and Magra
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:37AM
CatCatDragoo at 7:00PM, April 2, 2009
(offline)
skyangel

Oh yes! This is a very good idea! Even a couple people who do have webcomics are very kind and supportive, like ‘Sei’ for example! But I can't help but feel that maybe this falls under ‘Friendliest DrunkDucker’, no? Then again, ‘Friendly’ and ‘Supportive’ aren't exactly the same thing, right? And the idea of a special trophy is lovely! Though, wouldn't a logo on their avi be easily forged?
My pride and joooy~! x3

FFA motto:
Learning to Do
Doing to Learn
Earning to Live
Living to Serve
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:37AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved