Media Megaforum

Dennis Miller...What happened?
bobhhh at 2:37AM, July 19, 2008
(offline)
Am I kidding myself or wasn't Dennis Miller once a lefty satirist on SNL making fun of conservative politicians?

Nowadays he has kissed up the Repulicans' ass so far he recently had to have his face surgically removed from George Bush's colon.

Check out this vid, now don't get me wrong, we can quibble the science till we are blue in the face, and have on other threads, but just listen to his perverse arguments and thread bare, insane justifications all slathered in braggadocio. He seems like a desperate little boy hoping to clown enough so the older boys will let him tag along.

One hopes he and Ann Coulter never spawn.

Sample quote-Dennis's dissmissal about concerns that nature may be thrown out of balance:

“And why am I constantly beaten over the head with the phrase the delicate balance of nature, am I the only one watches Animal Planet? Every time I turn it on I see some demented Harp Seal chucking penguins down his gullet like they were Maitre'D tic tac's.”

He then goes on to compare nature to Gary Busey.
My name is Bob and I approved this signature.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:30AM
lothar at 4:34AM, July 19, 2008
(online)
“i can't worry about the Earth rite now because i'm too worried about the world” ??? wtf ??
i notice there is very little laughter
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:45PM
HippieVan at 9:52AM, July 19, 2008
(online)
He seems extremely ignorant and he's not funny at all.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Have a comic milestone, a community project or some comic-related news you’d like to see in
a newspost? Send it to me via PQ or at hippievannews(at)gmail.com!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:49PM
bobhhh at 11:27AM, July 19, 2008
(offline)
And yet he used to be this guy

ozoneocean at 11:50AM, July 19, 2008
(online)
He's just a celeb comedian really. ;)
Maybe this'd be better in the media section? :)

——————

Actually, it's obviously the same attitude in both clips, you just happen to agree with the one on religion and not what he says about the environment. He seems to just enjoy the idea that he's pissing off a specific group of people who's ideas he disagrees with, by ridiculing them in front of an appreciative, receptive audience.

Yes, he is an idiot. Most comedians are. We just think they're geniuses when our views happen to coincide with some of what they say- usually it's when they're being derisive about a group we also feel derisive towards.
——————

Mainly though, he just wants to piss you off, -if you support the views he's lampooning. It's deliberate and it's his style. And he likes people cheering him on while he does it.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:31PM
bobhhh at 12:39PM, July 19, 2008
(offline)
ozoneocean
He's just a celeb comedian really. ;)
Maybe this'd be better in the media section? :)

——————

Actually, it's obviously the same attitude in both clips, you just happen to agree with the one on religion and not what he says about the environment. He seems to just enjoy the idea that he's pissing off a specific group of people who's ideas he disagrees with, by ridiculing them in front of an appreciative, receptive audience.

Yes, he is an idiot. Most comedians are. We just think they're geniuses when our views happen to coincide with some of what they say- usually it's when they're being derisive about a group we also feel derisive towards.
——————

Mainly though, he just wants to piss you off, -if you support the views he's lampooning. It's deliberate and it's his style. And he likes people cheering him on while he does it.

Good point, although I instinctively feel his criticisms of religion are a bit more logically constructed than his wild spasms about the environment. His crack about alleged non denominational evangellical religious types who in fact appreciate ten's and twenties to me is more telling and clever than his dissmissal of environmental concerns based on a harp seal's dietary habits putting him off.
ozoneocean at 1:26PM, July 19, 2008
(online)
You could say that his material isn't as good because that was a stand-up show and now he's just doing a shitty 2 minute spot on FOX (is it?). Besides, it doesn't look like he believes it himself, or even as if he's reading stuff written by someone else…

Honestly, I don't think he cares as long as he's irritating the “liberals”, who all hate him now. And I imagine he hates himself since he's so obviously backed the wrong horse and he knows it. I saw him doing an embarrassing back track on the John Stewart show a while ago. I felt sorry for him.

But this really is media discussion fodder now… :(

blntmaker at 7:58PM, July 19, 2008
(online)
He started leaning RIGHT when he got a show on MSNBC. Used to love him when he was on HBO. Loved those rants and news reports he did when he was doig the HBO thing.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:26AM
Ronson at 7:33AM, July 20, 2008
(online)
From what I've gleaned from Jim Ward of the “Stephanie Miller (no relation) Show”, Miller used to have a co-writer in his SNL days, and eventually they went their separate ways sometime during his HBO stint. The material suffered, and he has embraced a lot of right-wing ideology, but my guess is that his jokes aren't as “tight” as they were when he was bouncing ideas around with his previous partner.

Comedy writing is a craft, and knowing what works and what doesn't isn't always as obvious as we may think.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:10PM
bravo1102 at 9:59AM, July 20, 2008
(online)
I agree with Ronson. It's hard to write comedy, especially for people who lack a sense of humor. ;)

In my opinion every person who's posted in this thread so far has a distinct lack of a sense of humor. :) (As if I do)
Try this on for size and see if it doesn't fit:
“I don't agree with his opinion therefore he is not funny”
“His comedic allusions and ridiculous metaphors, though accurate, are insulting to my tender sensiblities therefore he is not funny.”
“In the delicate,over-complex and well-considered analysis of the content of the rant I found it without substance and idiotic.”

If it doesn't a little plastic surgery works wonders. :)

One man's absurdity is another's idiocy. And of course I haven't a clue about what I just said because the sage knows that knowledge is empty, debate is worthless and a sense of absurdity is one of the first steps towards wisdom. Now excuse me but it is time to revel in the wisdom of the sages Groucho, Harpo and Chico.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:33AM
ozoneocean at 12:41AM, July 21, 2008
(online)
It's bout context Baro. This being in the Debate and Discussion forum, people tend to look at things posted here in a serious light.

Ok, moving to media and then you can yuk it up in peace :)

Ziffy88 at 9:37PM, July 21, 2008
(offline)
He use to be really good now he's slowly have been getting worst. The best thing about the CNBC show was that he would have someone like Tim Meadows do a segment and those were pretty awesome. His jokes suffer from repetition like George Lopez or Christopher Titus. I'm a little conservative so I find some of his stuff funny but the stuff back on HBO especially the one were he goes through a history making fun of the moments and the lingo of the decades was incredibly funny.
last edited on July 14, 2011 5:02PM
bobhhh at 2:06AM, July 24, 2008
(offline)
bravo1102
In my opinion every person who's posted in this thread so far has a distinct lack of a sense of humor. :) (As if I do)
Try this on for size and see if it doesn't fit:
“I don't agree with his opinion therefore he is not funny”
“His comedic allusions and ridiculous metaphors, though accurate, are insulting to my tender sensiblities therefore he is not funny.”
“In the delicate,over-complex and well-considered analysis of the content of the rant I found it without substance and idiotic.”

um…no.

He's just unfunny now, and the revelation about a former co writer makes it all so much clearer. Of course that doesnt explain his full trhottle jump of the deep end politically, but hey I'm glad the right has nut jobs like him, Rush and Coulter repping them. I'll take Maher and Franken any day over those delusional wankers.

And just to add, I loved Buckley even though I didn't agree with him politically because he was a well spoken, insanely clever and a very focused debater capable of disarming levity when the moment called for it.

I am not a blind partisan just cause I call Miller as I see him, a has-been with dumb material and regrettable politics. I'm just being observant.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved