Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Desperate Adobe CS question! Help!
JLG at 10:29PM, June 17, 2011
(online)
Hi, everyone. I hope somebody can help me with this. I just recently got a new computer after six years, and attempted to install Adobe Creative Suite 2 onto it, like I had on the old one. What I didn't know was that CS2 is not compatible with Windows 7. I was told this by a customer service rep today.
I simply cannot afford to buy CS 5.5 right now. I have heard a lot of talk about bootleg free downloads, and in fact have been encouraged by various people at one point or another to go that route. But first of all, I have no idea where to find these downloads. Google is just giving me a bunch of confusing results I don't know how to interpret. Second, I have also heard that depending on where you get them, they can cause problems with your computer and ultimately lead to disaster.

If anybody has any experience or insight on this, please let me know. I don't know what to do right now because I'm too broke to buy the programs, and thus am completely unable to continue any art-related activities online. I feel utterly lost.

Thanks so much.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:09PM
Genejoke at 11:13PM, June 17, 2011
(online)
Cs2 doesn't work on windows 7, damn then I'm screwed. wait a second I run cs2 on windows 7 just fine.

I google this though.

http://dispo.se/2009/06/02/adobe-creative-suite-2-and-windows-7-64bit/

Hope that helps.

Getting cracked versions etc, well if you download a torrent with a trojan in it then yeah that will lead to problems. There are other issues too but I don't want to go into detail about the pros and cons of cracked software.

Alternatives….

Gimp does most of what photoshop does and it's 100% free. There are various plug ins available to expand the functions too. There is also a thread somewhere about other free and cheap options too.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:34PM
El Cid at 4:20AM, June 18, 2011
(online)
Did you try running it in XP Compatibility mode? I run an older version of Photoshop and it runs reeeeally weird in Windows 7, but when you switch it to run in XP Compatibility Mode, it runs just fine.

(right-click the program in your Start menu, go to Properties, and click the Compatibility tab)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:20PM
JLG at 9:49AM, June 18, 2011
(online)
@ Genejoke:

I followed that link you posted. When I tried to open Photoshop, I got the exact same message that guy did—-“user name, organization, or serial number is missing or invalid.“ (Illustrator just plain closed the second I opened it, and Acrobat simply said ”missing serial number“—every one was different).

He mentions directing the programs to install in the x86 folder. Thing is, I DID that—it was the default destination already. It did not have the strange name of C:\Progra~2\Adobe that he said to type in, it already had the ”x86“ in the name. Don't know if this is significant—I'm in over my head, as you can see. But the problem is, I can't try his suggestion anyway, because half of the programs will not let me uninstall them! Says I need ”permission from SYSTEMS." What in the hell. I call customer support and they tell me it's likely because of a problem with my registry. Terrific. This just gets better and better.

@ El Cid:

I would try that right now if the above development hadn't occurred. Actually, I did just try it anyway with Illustrator (one of the ones that refuses to erase), but it didn't change anything. So there's something else going on here.

I really appreciate your answers. I just hope there's something else to be said, because I'm still up the creek.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:09PM
Genejoke at 10:09AM, June 18, 2011
(online)
Shame i can't help more, like I said it works fine on mine with no mucking about.

gimp?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:34PM
El Cid at 7:03PM, June 18, 2011
(online)
Sorry I couldn't be more help. I do tend to have a lot of technical issues when I first install apps, partially because I prefer to run my programs from external hard drives, but I'm always able to work around them without much effort. It's tough helping other people over the internet though.

If it's not letting you remove programs because you don't have the right permission settings, you might need to be in Administrator mode to do it (but you shouldn't have to do that. Sounds like something's really screwed up, to use a technical term). You might consider doing a system restore to sometime before your computer started acting all wonky. That's all I can think of.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:20PM
ksteak at 10:59PM, June 18, 2011
(online)
They're just trying to sell CS5 to you.

Try this - http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/windows-7-is-not-compatible-with-adobe-photoshop/6f1b4955-7166-4b8f-ad9b-5d19150f803f
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:24PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved