Media Megaforum

Die Hard 4
CAJtopper at 12:44AM, July 1, 2007
(offline)
die hard 4 gets a 8/10. ITs an awesome action packed movie with lots of hardcore fighting scenes. A real good story line and YES bruce willis is a hardass-
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:35AM
Vindibudd at 12:48AM, July 1, 2007
(online)
“Enough of this kung-fu sh*t. ”

Oh yeah. McClane is BACK. Rating: 4 of 5 stars
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:42PM
fern at 12:53AM, July 1, 2007
(online)
RADICAL!

Unfortunately, wrong forum.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:26PM
SteveMyers22 at 12:57AM, July 1, 2007
(online)
I liked the movie. But felt bad after watching him beat up so much on the absolutely freakin gorgeous Maggie Q.

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:58PM
that kid yellow at 8:41AM, July 1, 2007
(online)
die hard for life
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:14PM
lefarce at 10:27AM, July 1, 2007
(online)
Terrible. Die Hard 4 simply does not live up to the rest of the series. It's bogged down by modern day cliches, which off-sets the mood and style of the old films (which were not so modern day cliches). Die Hard only worked in the late 80's and early 90's. If this was just a watered down action movie with Bruce Willis it would be great, but it's hard to take it as a sequel to the Die Hard franchise.

Willis all around acts bored to tears. Seldom does he ever start acting like John (the cocky assed hero of the series). Willis is stern, tired, and way too old to be doing this shit anymore. The action is bland compared to the previous installments. There just isn't enough * BANG BANG BANG *. I think more people were killed with cars in this than guns, and for Die Hard, that just ain't right.

And the line? THE LINE? Utterly wasted. It's forceful injection rendered it comedic as opposed to bad-ass. And the line is cut-off at the very end.

How about… yippie-ki-yay… mother fuck*BAM*

Awful. Live Free or Die Hard would make for a decent action flick. But in terms of a sequel to the Die Hard series, this just never gets up to speed.

2/5

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:30PM
kingofsnake at 9:03AM, July 2, 2007
(online)
This was was, possibly, the second best die hard movie yet. Seeing bruce as john mclain made me a giddy 12 year old again. Mclain is everything he's always been known to be, everyman, reluctant hero, sarcastic cowboy, impossible to kill monomanical thorn in the side of every pompous graniose theif that is hubristic enough to cross him. In a time when it seems like they're rehashing every franchise they can think of this is the first sequel I've seen that actually lives up to the original series.

It reminds you how good action movies used to be, and makes you wonder why they don't make them anymore.

I disagree with everything lefarce said on every possible level.

except about the brutal rape of the die hard catch phrase, that call was dead on. Can't wait till the unrated DVD when I can see it the way it was meant to be seen.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:16PM
lefarce at 9:11AM, July 2, 2007
(online)
How is every part wrong? McClain's burst of bonafide badass are few in-between. He has far to many points where he's just driving some kid around, and not enough shooting people. Too often does he think “I'll use a car to kill them! DURGHALKGJDKJ”.

It's Pg-13 Die Hard, and it's a travesty. I grew up on the series, and it's sad to see it exploited in this new Hollywood trend of unnecessary sequels. We didn't need a fourth Die Hard, and we would have been better off without one.

I suppose we can just agree to disagree, but as a massive Bruce Willis fan, and a guy who grew up on the Die Hard films, this one was a let down. Like I said, it's a great action movie, but as a Die Hard film it just doesn't feel right. The mood is somehow lost amongst the modern action movie motifs and over abundance of techno psychobabble (most of which is so highly out the ass and fake that it's really hard to ignore.)

Sorry, I just didn't like it. Hopefully Transformers will be good, otherwise I'm starting to think Hollywood wants to kill my childhood.

EDIT: What the fuck?

I know it's relevant yet not at the same time. I thought I would just post it for the sheer factor of it.

Boss at 10:05AM, July 2, 2007
(offline)
“Oh no the line got cut off….Oh my god his line was cut off….NOT THE LINE! WHY THE LINE?! OH YOU SICK BASTARDS! YOU CUT OFF THE GOD DAMNED LINE!”

That's people who bitch. I'm mocking them. That's them.

BIG FUCKING DEAL! It got cut off, because he shot himself! I'm so terribly sorry the whole movie was ruined for some people because he didn't finish “ucker”. It's hard to say things like “ucker” when a bullet is passing through your shoulder. Delivery was still spot on.

As for the lack of bullets? He clearly stated that he ran out. It shows you how badass he is. He doesn't need a gun, he'll ram an SUV up your ass like he did with the little Asian bitch. I mean, really, what kind of person gets concerned about the fact that he decided to use a CAR! Isn't that how the black computer kid gets disabled at the end of the first movie? A punch to the face and a LIMO in his side! Jesus Christ, there's always fucking something for some people.

I watched, all three movies with my friend before going to the see the fourth. He insisted on showing me. Nothing, is, different. It's all excellent. People mislabeled as terrorists who are actually thieves get their asses kicked by New York's finest. Who cares how he does it, or that the last bit of his catchphrase is off? He always has to spend HALF the movie buddying up with some inept loser! The cop, The janitor, Samuel L Jackson, AND THIS TIME IS WAS A KID! It always happens! The worst part was listening to people bitch IN THE THEATER! AND NOW HERE!

RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!

Anyways. I didn't “grow up” with the movies, but I did have the pleasure of watching the back, to back, to back. …To back. Full of action, suspense, sarcasm, a bumbling sidekick, and an innovative way to finish off his enemies. Cept for the fourth one, it was actually backwards. Instead of shooting everyone all movie and killing the main baddie with cataclysmic explosion or fall, he spends all movie doing awesome stunts to get rid of the grunts and shoots their leader. Awesome Sauce.

I'm not even giving it a rating, because numbers can't describe how wonderful this movie was. Best one of the whole summer. No contest.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:32AM
kingofsnake at 10:20AM, July 2, 2007
(online)
Die Hard was never really about all the gunfire (well, maybe die hard 2 was) it has been and will always be about john mclain doing whatever it takes, and using whatever he has at his disposal to kill everything, and to miraculously survive no matter what they throw at him. It's about burce running barefoot across broken glass if thats what it takes to win, and it's about rubbing it in the face of the people he's taking out.

Yes, he did travel quite a bit, but do you honestly think they could have locked him in a ______ by himself again? That would've been a disaster.

Mcclain was never “badass” not in a single one of the Die Hard movies. He's always been too funny and too self-depricating to be badass. Don't get me wrong. He'll do whatever it takes to win, but to me “badass” requires that you take yourself far more seriously than Mcclain does.

Mcclain was never paticularily skilled at fighting or shooting or anything that we expect from action hero's nowadays. He's just a regular guy that wont stay down, no matter what kind of crazy shit you throw at him.

I grew up with the Die Hard movies too le farce. I went into this just as skeptical as I did Rocky Balboa or Lethal Weapon 4 or any of the other crappy sequels I could muster up the memory of. I can't wait to buy the unrated Die hard 4 on DVD. I can't fucking wait.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:16PM
lefarce at 7:53PM, July 2, 2007
(online)
Boss
“Oh no the line got cut off….Oh my god his line was cut off….NOT THE LINE! WHY THE LINE?! OH YOU SICK BASTARDS! YOU CUT OFF THE GOD DAMNED LINE!”

That's people who bitch. I'm mocking them. That's them.

Easy big guy. Those are just other people's opinions. Leave them at that. If you disagree then you disagree. But we're talking about a movie, a very trivial thing. You're going to need tougher skin than that if you ever hope to get anywhere in life.

BIG FUCKING DEAL! It got cut off, because he shot himself! I'm so terribly sorry the whole movie was ruined for some people because he didn't finish “ucker”. It's hard to say things like “ucker” when a bullet is passing through your shoulder. Delivery was still spot on.

Not entirely. See, “The Line” is a staple of the series. In order to make a good sequel you need to have a somewhat similar syntax of events. It takes an even balance of old and new for it to be a good film AND sequel. However, in my opinion, Die Hard 4 was only a good film, not a proper installment in the franchise. I liked it just fine, it just didn't feel like Die Hard is all. The line is a valid critique as it helps illustrate the watered down aspect of a PG-13 Die Hard. It may be exciting, but it's missing several key elements that make it Die Hard.

As for the lack of bullets? He clearly stated that he ran out. It shows you how badass he is. He doesn't need a gun, he'll ram an SUV up your ass like he did with the little Asian bitch. I mean, really, what kind of person gets concerned about the fact that he decided to use a CAR! Isn't that how the black computer kid gets disabled at the end of the first movie? A punch to the face and a LIMO in his side! Jesus Christ, there's always fucking something for some people.

Again, you are off the mark. McClain did acquire additional ammunition and guns, but seldom used them in favor of other tactics. Weather that be to keep in tone with the rating or because the producers are trying to compete with modern day action films is beyond me, but it just felt like they were trying to hard to impress with stunts and not with keeping McClain in character. Everything felt forced cept' a few key events. However, the whole damn thing with the Asian chick is pure fucking win. That's what the whole movie should have been. McClain doesn't really have a disadvantage for a majority of the film. In the first he had glass up his feet and was constantly cornered, in the second he had to deal with his wife possibly dieing at the hands of people who just don't care if people get killed as a result of their actions, and in the third he had to put up with Sammy J's racism while having a bad hangover.

Oh there was action in this. Just not enough tension of conflict, something, again, that's a staple of the series.

I watched, all three movies with my friend before going to the see the fourth. He insisted on showing me. Nothing, is, different. It's all excellent. People mislabeled as terrorists who are actually thieves get their asses kicked by New York's finest. Who cares how he does it, or that the last bit of his catchphrase is off? He always has to spend HALF the movie buddying up with some inept loser! The cop, The janitor, Samuel L Jackson, AND THIS TIME IS WAS A KID! It always happens! The worst part was listening to people bitch IN THE THEATER! AND NOW HERE!

Again, wah. No one really cares if you're upset that somebody is bitching, because what you're doing is bitching as well. So what if people didn't like the film. Get over it. I don't like lots of things.

And yes, he did always have a near inept sidekick, but no one was more annoying or aggravating to listen to than the mac kid. Maybe that's because I know enough about computers that his lines were laughable for all the wrong reasons, I dunno. I just didn't care for his presence.

Anyways. I didn't “grow up” with the movies, but I did have the pleasure of watching the back, to back, to back. …To back. Full of action, suspense, sarcasm, a bumbling sidekick, and an innovative way to finish off his enemies. Cept for the fourth one, it was actually backwards. Instead of shooting everyone all movie and killing the main baddie with cataclysmic explosion or fall, he spends all movie doing awesome stunts to get rid of the grunts and shoots their leader. Awesome Sauce.

I'm not even giving it a rating, because numbers can't describe how wonderful this movie was. Best one of the whole summer. No contest.

My only complaint about the ending was how anti-climatic it was. For all the threatening McClain did against the yahoo, he just shoots himself and him. I would have much rather had seen him beat the hell out of him for kidnapping his daughter, like he constantly said he would. Just took away from his threats a bit.

Definitely not the best. Probably one of the most disappointing for me. But overall this summer has been one disappointing flick after another. I can count the good films on one hand, yet I've been looking forward to a countless amount.\

Tl;Dr version?

I didn't like it, but so what. Don't get huffy over someone's opinion in a movie. I'm sure there are things you don't like, yet you wouldn't want to get bitched at for not liking them. Simmer down.

ozoneocean at 8:34PM, July 2, 2007
(online)
Everyone settle, it's ok to have different opinions over movies!
As Lefarce says, don't attack people for having different opinions.

I haven't even seen this film… And I probably never will. I liked the first one when it came out but I was younger then. After that lines like ‘I’m too old for this shit" and constant stupid fiery explosions were enough to turn me away from any film for good. :)

But we all have our own opinions about things.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:27PM
Terminal at 8:41PM, July 2, 2007
(online)
If Die Hard took place at an office buliding, Die Hard 2 took place in the Washington Dulles International Airport (…which clearly looks like LAX at times, sadder is the way I can actually tell) and Die Hard 3 takes place all around New York, where does Live Free take place in?
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:11PM
Boss at 8:42PM, July 2, 2007
(offline)
First let me say, I wasn't even talking about you. If I had, I woulda used your name, Lefarce.

I'm formal like that.

But wait, lemme try to cover my bases so we don't have to continue with this. “But you said you were ranting cos of people bitching on here.”. True, but still an extremely general comment and mildly includes but is defiantly not limited to you. I've heard way more people complain in person.

And I didn't attack anyone. Unless my words were that hurtful, which I doubt. I defended a movie I liked a lot, and chose to do so in a rant form. Big deal. And of course I don't like things other people do, there's a big fat ‘Duh’.

Irregardless, I didn't mean attack anyone, just ranted for about five minutes to blow off steam because of an upcoming interview. Sorry if it seemed like I did. I try to watch my step round places but still inevitably get in trouble. So again, I apologize if it seemed like my rant was pointed at you, Lefarce. I didn't mean to offend and you are indeed entitled to your opinion and I can see where you're coming from. Even with my head up my ass.
Boss at 8:43PM, July 2, 2007
(offline)
Terminal
If Die Hard took place at an office buliding, Die Hard 2 took place in the Washington Dulles International Airport (…which clearly looks like LAX at times, sadder is the way I can actually tell) and Die Hard 3 takes place all around New York, where does Live Free take place in?

It was Washington. It took place in Jersey for the beginning with the kid.
lefarce at 8:48PM, July 2, 2007
(online)
EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT: Nevermind, you cleared up that stuff with the second post you made. I tend to get into trouble due to my tongue as well, if you can't already tell. :)

Anyway, to help get this back on track and address King of Snake's comment, one of the major misconceptions of the franchise is that McClain is always stuck in one area. During the first film this was true, but during the second and third it became much different. In the second he didn't travel too far, but wasn't just restricted to the airport. In the third he moved around quite a bit across town, and in the new one… Jesus. Man was all over the place.

That is something I liked about this film, McClain really hunts down the bad guy over the course of the film, and that made me smile.

Boss at 8:58PM, July 2, 2007
(offline)
lefarce
When did I say you were talking to me? Who is self-a-what?

I'm saying you need to take EVERYONE'S opinions with a grain of salt. Jesus Christ, get over it already. I'm hardly the one self-absorbed.

See, I still manage to talk too fast. It's a wonder someone hasn't choked me to death at this point. I tried editing my post. For a third time, I apologize.

Edit: And I messed up my tags. I shouldn't be allowed to interact with the public.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved