Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Digital Painting
SarahN at 7:03PM, March 20, 2008
(online)
Am I the only one who is just naturally crappy at painting? Even when I was young in art class all of my paintings looked like piles of puke.

I AM interested in painting…or at least painting sceneries because I think they would be nice and easier to do for some comic backgrounds, but no matter what I do nothing seems to turn out right. It just looks like something a 6-year-old did.

Though I also think that despite its name, Paint Shop Pro isn't all that a good program for digital painting…but I HAVE seen some amazing things done with it, so I don't know.

Still, does anyone have any starter-tips or an amateur digital painting site to give me? (If they're Photoshop related they should work fine…though if it's Paint Shop Pro related, all the better!)
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:23PM
lba at 8:11PM, March 20, 2008
(online)
Think about the way you're holding your pen and making your marks. I used to think I sucked at painting until I realized how tightly I was holding my arm while working and how I was being too perfectionist for the media. You kind of have to loosen up and get a little more expressive with it than normal. You have to start off really loose and then slowly add in layers of detail over your base colours. Don't try to get small details in your first couple of images. Just focus on loosening up and learning how to layer your colours.

I've also found that it sometimes helps to go into photoshop ( or use a marker when actually painting. ) to get your fine details in afterwards and just use paint for the looser stuff underneath the detail work.

That's about all I can suggest.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:29PM
Frostflowers at 2:07AM, March 21, 2008
(online)
When drawing backgrounds, work fast and loose first - just block in your colours approximately where you want them, to get a sense of how your painting is going to look, and to get a grip on your colour-scheme (if the colours are all over the place in terms of tone - blues, red, yellows, greens, purples, etc., etc. every where - the final image will look way too busy).

Then pile on the layers and start defining the shapes. Work from large to small, and don't spend all your time finishing one part of the picture before moving on; try to keep the level of detail even across the whole painting as you work.
The Continued Misadventures of Bonebird - a poor bird's quest for the ever-elusive and delicious apples.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:31PM
subcultured at 10:06AM, March 21, 2008
(online)
do a lot of speed paintings
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:03PM
mattwandcow at 4:47AM, March 22, 2008
(online)
Don't stress over it. Just draw. They never mention how many pieces of stone Michaelangelo utterly destroyed before crafting David
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:56PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved