Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Dilemma
MadTarnsman at 2:05PM, June 11, 2011
(online)
Here's my quandary, gang: When I was a young'un and first picked up pencil and paper, there WAS no computers and digital software for image manipulation. We did it pioneer style with pencil, ink and markers.

So, here I am crankin' out a comic that I pride myself on doing by hand….as much as possible, anyway….and I've hit a crossroads: goddamned Prismacolor markers cost $5 a piece!!!!!!!!! Now, figure out how many square feet I color in one issue and it's tough on specific colors in particular…..flesh tones…..colors constantly used in uniforms, etc….

The financial clarity is I should go digital whole hog…..colors…lettering….the works right after I finish the line drawings.

Any input??

“Life comes at ya pretty fast, sometimes….double tap to the head if it does….”
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:50PM
Unka John at 11:00PM, June 11, 2011
(online)
MadTarnsman
Here's my quandary, gang: When I was a young'un and first picked up pencil and paper, there WAS no computers and digital software for image manipulation. We did it pioneer style with pencil, ink and markers.

So, here I am crankin' out a comic that I pride myself on doing by hand….as much as possible, anyway….and I've hit a crossroads: goddamned Prismacolor markers cost $5 a piece!!!!!!!!! Now, figure out how many square feet I color in one issue and it's tough on specific colors in particular…..flesh tones…..colors constantly used in uniforms, etc….

The financial clarity is I should go digital whole hog…..colors…lettering….the works right after I finish the line drawings.

Any input??

Tarns, you're doing the job of an entire team. Whatever is fastest and cheapest is probably best. I'm thinking of starting an adventure strip and will probably at least letter it digitally.

I've been coloring with watercolors since I seem to do an entire strip faster that way than I can do a panel digitally.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:36PM
demontales at 5:45AM, June 12, 2011
(online)
You could try finding other traditionnal medias that are less expensive, or go digital, or a mix. I'm kinda biased for traditionnal work but what I'd do in your case is probably test how far I'm at ease with digital and gradually integrate it in my work.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:10PM
MadTarnsman at 3:54PM, June 13, 2011
(online)
demontales
You could try finding other traditionnal medias that are less expensive, or go digital, or a mix. I'm kinda biased for traditionnal work but what I'd do in your case is probably test how far I'm at ease with digital and gradually integrate it in my work.

Any markers worth a damn to color my work are gonna be expensive. It just occurred to me that digital colors NEVER run out and need to be replenished. The drawing will ALWAYS be by hand, that's just the way I am.

I'm currently fighting with GIMP to come to an working understanding, even going through the downloaded manual, and I'll be damned if I can figure out how to bucket fill colors….use brushes…etc….when they'll only work inside of caption boxes and dialogue balloons. It seems unless there's “marching ants” that feature/s won't work.

Of course, I'm doing something wrong….there's a minor setting or a mouse click out of sequence that I'm missing.

Ideally, I'd like to put the Robotwin Finish on my pages: hand color the principals and digitally color the background also shading and embellishing. I've finally got the lettering down cold, so that's at least one problem in the grave!

“Life comes at ya pretty fast, sometimes….double tap to the head if it does….”
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:50PM
Fuego at 1:13PM, June 15, 2011
(offline)
You know, Photoshop is better.

Just don't use Version 5.0 like I do. I only use 5.0 because it was free.
The King of Marvin's Garden
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:31PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved