Media Megaforum

Discovery Channel: Planet Earth
reconjsh at 7:42PM, March 25, 2007
(online)
http://dsc.discovery.com/guides/planetearth/planetearth.html

I watched this series as it premiered today. It's stunning… a lot of the shots are the first of their kind ever caught caught on film. It's devoid of a political agenda - something I really appreciate - as it just shows you some of the most beautiful, compelling, and strange creatures on Earth. It's also in Hi-DEF if anyone has it and the picture quality and cinematography is first rate.

Highly recommended! They showed 3 (1 hour each) episodes tonight (Sunday MAR 25) and show the next 3 of 11 next Sunday. I'm guessing either youtube will “have them” or they'll re-air all week.

Anyone else watch this?

Here's the trailer:
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:02PM
fern at 7:48PM, March 25, 2007
(online)
I really wanna watch this!… maybe it'll be on ON DEMAND?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:26PM
Terminal at 7:52PM, March 25, 2007
(online)
There are some seriously amazing shots that make me wonder about this thing called arth we will in. If you take away the cities, the cars, the technology and the pure bullshit, you are left with some pretty amazing stuff.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:11PM
isukun at 12:38AM, March 26, 2007
(online)
They repeat the previous three episodes starting at 11AM on Sunday. Although from the look of things there are only two new episodes next Sunday, not three. At least according to my guide on my TV.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:04PM
Crazy Dutchman at 3:30AM, March 26, 2007
(offline)
Is this the same as the series by the BBC? Because I tought they also had a documentary-series about earth's nature called ‘Planet Earth’ It was brilliant and I got amazed every episode.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:48AM
isukun at 7:16AM, March 26, 2007
(online)
Well, episode titles are the same, if that's any indication.

I am noticing that the BBC lists three additional episodes that supposedly look at the direction Earth is headed in and whether mankind can successfully coexist with nature. If that's true, it kind of goes against the whole “devoid of a political agenda” idea.
ozoneocean at 8:26AM, March 26, 2007
(online)
isukun
If that's true, it kind of goes against the whole “devoid of a political agenda” idea.
The BBC doesn't think in those terms, issues concerning “nature VS humanity” aren't intrinsically political but scientific and philosophical to them. Of course anything can be seen in political terms, especially this, but in this case it's more a US thing to see environmental issues along political lines.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:26PM
isukun at 2:48PM, March 26, 2007
(online)
Of course anything can be seen in political terms, especially this, but in this case it's more a US thing to see environmental issues along political lines.

I wouldn't necessarily say that. After all, environmental policy is usually set by the government, not by the individual. When you appeal to people to save the environment, you are asking them to promote political changes which support the environment.

It's hard to really tell what the deal is with this series without watching all the ay through. As it is, the series has been changed from the version that aired on the BBC. While the episode titles may be the same, the narrators are different. Considering it was originally in English and narrated by a more appropriate personality, I can only assume this mean they felt the need to change some of the narration for the American version.
Priest_Revan at 9:05PM, March 27, 2007
(offline)
I gotta see this show. I'm so mad that I forgot about it.
Updates Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday's (depends).

7/0

Offering Project Wonderful Ad space on my website.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:48PM
reconjsh at 8:37AM, March 28, 2007
(online)
In all fairness… I haven't seen it all the way through. What I should have said is “so far it's seemed not to have some sort of political agenda in the sense that they're neither trying to, with their words, convince us to conserve or that the beautiful world is ending”… or something like that. All they've shown so far in the first 3 episodes is beautiful shots with Sigourney Weaver narrorating.

I didn't hear anything like “this once proud and noble animal is now forced to exist in a tiny habitat 1/10th its needs and is dying out because of man's interference”.

It was more like “this animal has never been caught on video doing this” or “never before has this shot been caught on hi-def, hi-speed camera… watch as we slow this 1 second clip down to 47 seconds”

That is: so far. There's a good chance it could change I suppose. American television/media has a knack for making us peon americans feel like poo for the messed up world while they take no responsibility for it as the real consumers and polluters.

“Everyone go buy $10 lightbulbs for all your 30 light fixtures because you can save mother earth while I go drive around in a limo to my 3 million dollar home… all the while ”buying“ a neutral greenhouse impact.” URGH! So I need to drop 300 bones on lightbulb technology that only still exists because manufacturing the other ones that NEVER burn out and were created 30+ years ago would create a product that never needs to be renewed and thus you wouldn't make any money when I celebrate when I can afford chicken instead of pork chops for my family?… while you just drop a check to a charity and can claim you've bought yourself “green nuetral”? URGH! That pisses me off like nothing else… a rant for another place.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:02PM
isukun at 11:46AM, April 1, 2007
(online)
I didn't hear anything like “this once proud and noble animal is now forced to exist in a tiny habitat 1/10th its needs and is dying out because of man's interference”.

I just got around to watching the first episodes. How did you miss the bits about animals being hunted to near extinction and the deserts expanding and whatnot? Or how about that tirade at the end of the Ocean's Deep episode about how the fate of the world is in our hands and we can cherish it or destroy it. This comes immediately after the bit about how chaging global climates are destroying the Blue Whale's feeding grounds.

Well, after seeing the first three episodes, I have to admit, I'm not a fan of the narration. Seems kind of lifeless. Plus they jump around a lot. Sure, the footage is great and in some cases a first of its kind, but they spend so little time on each animal and seem to focus on completely random aspects of their lives. The series probably could have benefitted fom being much longer with each episode representing a shorter season (maybe 5-8 episodes) so they could get more in depth with each area/animal.
Phantom Penguin at 12:07PM, April 1, 2007
(offline)
I was looking at it, they have it on demand. And i do have a HDTV. I will have to check it out.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:42PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved