This is the thread for talks and concerns regarding the game Mafia. This is so that the current game can continue without it being hijacked. (Because really it's not fair for Niccea to spend all this time hosting and making up a game only for it to be hijacked.)
I thought there was no better place to put in the rules.
The Previously Unwritten Rules of the Mafia Game
Becoming A GM
* A GM must be elected by the majority with the previous GM running the elections.
* A GM cannot GM twice in a row.
* It is required that a player actively play at least two games before he/she can run for GM
* For entry to be valid, the GM candidate must include their rules/roles for the game and a sample narrative with clue breakdown.
* The GM candidate must set up a rough schedule for their game during election, and try to stick to it. Please announce this in accordance with GMT (a good base time to go off) and CST (DD's clock). (Please double check to make sure you are saying the right time if neither of these are your time zone.)
* GM candidates do not vote for themselves. This is to be automatically assumed unless otherwise notified.
Running a game
* The GM must maintain an accurate count of who is dead/alive and the number of roles left.
* Clues for the game must be gender neutral or masculine due to the fact that there is a very small female population for the game.
* GMs may accept requests for narrations, but they cannot be harmful to other players.
* The GM must have a rule about inactivity. Inactive players cause the game to drag on.
* The usual for clues to point to is anything on the profile page, the first 5 pages of comics, usernames, avatars, or signatures. Sometimes clues are based on what is said during the game, but usually only used as a last resort. It would be helpful for the GM to notify the players where clues come from, though not required.
Rules to Roles
* The Pardoner cannot pardon himself.
* Paramedics cannot protect each other, themselves, or the bodyguards.
* The Detective can only see the alignment of someone he investigates (Pro-Town or Anti-Town) though the godfather is immune to this.
* The Detective can investigate the Mayor or the Pardoner. (not both)
* The godfather's horsehead ability cannot cancel out reflexive roles (such as paranoid killing or veteran's second night life) or the abilities that come with being mayor (declaring double lynch and getting two votes in a lynch)
* (Unresolved issue) Different things have happened when the mad bomber/godfather go after the paranoid. In some versions the paranoid reacts, but in some they do not. I believe that there should either be a standard, or the GM be specific about what could happen if a bomb/horsehead was planted on the paranoid.
Disambiguation of Deadtalking
* Deadtalking - intentionally or accidently sharing viable information once dead (through PQ or on the thread) (NOT ALLOWED) Player will be warned at the first occurrence of deadtalking. Excessive dead talking can result in being banned from the game.
* From the Beyond Talking - Posting on the thread after death, but not about viable information. Usually just picking up on whatever conversation is going on in the game or “AVENGE ME.” (Allowed)
* Tombstone Talking - When you send a dead player a “sorry I killed you” PQ. This is only not allowed if you were the one killed by the unknowing paranoid. (Allowed within reason)
(This is taken care of on a case by case basis by the GM since the only thing in this list that is expressly not allowed is team killing)
* Teamkilling â€“ Since the mafia knows exactly who everyone is. There shouldnâ€™t be any reason for a team kill. As a team they must work together. (No matter how stilted the numbers are or how much they want to make the game â€œmore interestingâ€) (Only the Godfather is allowed to teamkill but it is the GM must allow for it within the role rules.)
* Betrayal â€“ Giving up roles and names to mayor. In this case, the mayor may know all the mafia members, but the mafia cannot kill their own players. It takes longer than if there was teamkilling.
* Loose Tongue â€“ When the mafia is low in numbers, they do sometimes try to recruit a townie to help them. But townies sometimes use this knowledge to eradicate the mafia.
* Social Loafing â€“ Mafia member just doesnâ€™t do anything. They arenâ€™t helping either side.
(This is not complete, just a first draft)
While some of these rules are good and solid rules that we should take heed to, others are only good guidelines. They shouldn't be 100% enforced but more left up to the discression of the current GM. If he happen to aggree with everything that's written here, then more power to him. However, he's free to make up his own spin of rules but it's prefered that he lets his players know about any rule changes.