MAFIA... and other forum games

Discussion about Mafia
Ochitsukanai at 1:23PM, June 19, 2009
(online)
ParkerFarker
Product Placement
ParkerFarker
I know that post was completely not needed and not helpful
Well, I did ask so you don't have to feel so bad about answering me. You could even argue that this post of mine is even more useless.
yes, I didn't really feel bad, I was just acknowledging that I knew my post had no real value.
geez, you guys, why do you have to yell everything so loudly?

Always, I wanna be with mew, and make believe with mew
and live in harmony harmony oh nyan
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:20PM
ParkerFarker at 1:25PM, June 19, 2009
(online)
Ochitsukanai
ParkerFarker
Product Placement
ParkerFarker
I know that post was completely not needed and not helpful
Well, I did ask so you don't have to feel so bad about answering me. You could even argue that this post of mine is even more useless.
yes, I didn't really feel bad, I was just acknowledging that I knew my post had no real value.
geez, you guys, why do you have to yell everything so loudly?

AAGGGHHHH!!! I CAN'T HELP IT, MY RIGHT EARDRUM WAS BLOWN OUT!!! AGGGHHHH

“We are in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.” - Blackadder
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:38PM
crocty at 2:02PM, June 19, 2009
(offline)
If you all don't start typing normally, we're gonna relive that giant red text incident. >:¬|
I'm not really around much anymore, but here's my Tumblr, Twitter, and Deviantart. Also if you remember me from back when I was around, I'm sorry.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:53AM
Salsa at 2:12PM, June 19, 2009
(offline)
crocty
If you all don't start typing normally, we're gonna relive that giant red text incident. >:¬|
You just had to bring that up again didn't you!
RAGE!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:17PM
ParkerFarker at 2:30PM, June 19, 2009
(online)
oh lord I don't wanna relive that again so I am writing in normal speak, normal size, normal font, and normal colour.

“We are in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.” - Blackadder
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:38PM
Salsa at 6:57PM, June 19, 2009
(offline)
Okay, since I've only played one game and can;t run for GM I would like to take time to run an idea by all the previous GM's, and, please, fell free to make suggestions and critiques as you want or need.

Fantasy theme
Townies:
Mayor=> Lord(1) elected
Pardoner=> Knight(1) elected
Librian=> Scribe(1)
Detective=> Diviner(1)
Paranoid=> Alchemist?(1)
Veteran=> Tracker(1)
Paramedic/Vigilante=> Valkyrie(3)
Bodyguard=> Squire(2)
Townie=> serf(who ever is left over)

notes on townie roles:
-Most have the same powers as before expect for a few cases due to things I plan to add to the Mafia.
-Valkyries: Has both the abilities of a Paramedic and a Vigilante, they cannot, however, protect someone from being cursed and cannot protect each other.
-Diviner: Has the abilities of a detective, but since the Diviner is a member of the holy order, he or she can remove curses from those who have them.

Mafia
Godfather=> Black Mage(1)Normal godfather powers +the ability to curse up to two people a game
Mad Hatter(or whatever the bomber guy's name is in the regular ver.)=> Apprentice(1)place a bomb on two people and switch a person who is going to be lynched with someone else once a game.
Mafia=> Orks, goblins, or some other evil henchman material creature(3)wez keel stuf, but only once a night.

sociopaths
Psycho=> Agents of Chaos(2)same as normal, but since they have some pretty stiff competition there's two of them.

other notes
-curses kill the target one day and night cycle after they are used (cannot be taken back after the night cycle they were used has ended) the Black Mage can kill the paranoid with out being harmed using a curse.
-the narrative for a cursing will contain clues as to who is cursed and who cursed them.
-if a curse is successfully removed by the diviner, the narrative will contain clues pointing to him.
-Lynch switching can only be used after the lynch voting has been closed. The Apprentice has ten minutes to tell the GM if he wants to lynch switch and if yes who is to take the lynchee's place.
-lynch switching can be used to switch anyone being lynched with anyone who can be attacked, this means no lynching the Lord or Knight while there are still squires.
-lynch switching can only be used to switch only one person during a double lynch.
-lynch switching narratives will have a clue pointing to the Apprentice.

thanks for reading that. I plan on having more theme appropriate descriptions after the abilities are worked out.
RAGE!
pastel at 9:32AM, June 20, 2009
(offline)
I noticed something with the narrations lately.

We seem to be breaking the 4th wall a lot. In one example, "XXX heard his name and knew he was going die…" in the mafia election thread, one person even had the victim yelling to the narrator.

I don't mind this occasionally, but feel we shouldn't be overusing it.
. K.A.L.A.-dan! Fujoshi! Mafia MASS MURDERER! Kitty and Pastel :D
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:40PM
crocty at 10:08AM, June 20, 2009
(offline)
I think the lynch switching is waaaay too powerful, Salsa. I mean, they could kill the mayor, and they could do nothing about it.

It's always half the fun to plant clues on other people to get them lynched, it totally takes the fun out of it if you can easily do it anyway. ):
I'm not really around much anymore, but here's my Tumblr, Twitter, and Deviantart. Also if you remember me from back when I was around, I'm sorry.
Product Placement at 10:08AM, June 20, 2009
(online)
pastel

We seem to be breaking the 4th wall a lot. In one example, "XXX heard his name and knew he was going die…" in the mafia election thread, one person even had the victim yelling to the narrator.

I noticed that growing trend. That's why I made a narration in the election thread where I screwed with the reader.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:51PM
pastel at 10:20AM, June 20, 2009
(offline)
Product Placement
pastel

I noticed that growing trend. That's why I made a narration in the election thread where I screwed with the reader.

That's one way to stop it from getting out of hand. ^^
. K.A.L.A.-dan! Fujoshi! Mafia MASS MURDERER! Kitty and Pastel :D
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:40PM
Salsa at 1:11PM, June 20, 2009
(offline)
crocty
I think the lynch switching is waaaay too powerful, Salsa. I mean, they could kill the mayor, and they could do nothing about it.

It's always half the fun to plant clues on other people to get them lynched, it totally takes the fun out of it if you can easily do it anyway. ):
Whoops, I guess that I forgot to mention that you can only use it on those who can be attacked, so this means by the time you can use it on the mayor, you've either A) already used it, or B)the Apprentice is dead, and it's more feasible to use it about mid game than late game. It's primarily a psychological weapon so the better it is timed the better it works.
RAGE!
TheFlyingGreenMonkey at 6:05AM, June 21, 2009
(online)
Signup thread is up, http://www.drunkduck.com/community/view_topic.php?tid=49306&cid=226&pid=#

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:17PM
TheFlyingGreenMonkey at 6:42PM, June 25, 2009
(online)
I think the Detective should never be able to use a power for both Night and Day cycles, like Crocty and I have it, again!

He is just too powerful this way. Its too late for me to change it in my game but I ask that no one else do it this way.

Niccea at 7:13PM, June 25, 2009
(offline)
TheFlyingGreenMonkey
I think the Detective should never be able to use a power for both Night and Day cycles, like Crocty and I have it, again!

He is just too powerful this way. Its too late for me to change it in my game but I ask that no one else do it this way.
Well it has always been that way. I think it has something to do with the usual short life span of the the detective and how his powers are only useful if done correctly.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:13PM
TheFlyingGreenMonkey at 7:27PM, June 25, 2009
(online)
Niccea
TheFlyingGreenMonkey

Well it has always been that way. I think it has something to do with the usual short life span of the the detective and how his powers are only useful if done correctly.

Its always been that way? I don't remember the detective being able to in the past games. Then agian I've never been close to the detective except for killing you that one time.

Niccea at 7:56PM, June 25, 2009
(offline)
TheFlyingGreenMonkey
Niccea
TheFlyingGreenMonkey

Its always been that way? I don't remember the detective being able to in the past games. Then agian I've never been close to the detective except for killing you that one time.
The day and night thing has been here since Mafia I. Back then since I had my sights set on becoming a GM one day, I asked BK to a lot of detailed questions about roles.
TheFlyingGreenMonkey at 2:42AM, June 26, 2009
(online)
Niccea
TheFlyingGreenMonkey
The day and night thing has been here since Mafia I. Back then since I had my sights set on becoming a GM one day, I asked BK to a lot of detailed questions about roles.
Dang…then why does it seem that the detective is so powerful now? Did people just forget sometimes or weren't active?

Product Placement at 2:53AM, June 26, 2009
(online)
TheFlyingGreenMonkey
Dang…then why does it seem that the detective is so powerful now? Did people just forget sometimes or weren't active?
It's because the detective was faced with the big roadblock of having to get the information safely to the public without dying. Previously, the best way to do so was talk to the mayor but it's not a good guaranty since the mayor (or the pardoner) could be mafia or could accidentally leak the information to the mafia. Thus, the detectives tend to die very early in the game.

I was the rat(detective) during the reverse mafia game. I tried to use my ability on crocty to make sure he wasn't an agent(mafia), he came up as a mobster(townie) so I decided to trust him. Naturally, he turned out to be the agent leader(godfather) so I got killed right off the bat.

When I got the detective role again, I decided to do something that no one else had done before. Publicly announce my role and get myself elected. It worked and I was able to use my powers publicly, thus cutting away the middle man. It upped the usefulness of the detective 500% which is why he was so deadly and unbalanced in that game.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Salsa at 5:14AM, June 26, 2009
(offline)
Product Placement
TheFlyingGreenMonkey
It's because the detective was faced with the big roadblock of having to get the information safely to the public without dying. Previously, the best way to do so was talk to the mayor but it's not a good guaranty since the mayor (or the pardoner) could be mafia or could accidentally leak the information to the mafia. Thus, the detectives tend to die very early in the game.

I was the rat(detective) during the reverse mafia game. I tried to use my ability on crocty to make sure he wasn't an agent(mafia), he came up as a mobster(townie) so I decided to trust him. Naturally, he turned out to be the agent leader(godfather) so I got killed right off the bat.

When I got the detective role again, I decided to do something that no one else had done before. Publicly announce my role and get myself elected. It worked and I was able to use my powers publicly, thus cutting away the middle man. It upped the usefulness of the detective 500% which is why he was so deadly and unbalanced in that game.
Not to mention that you got me accidentally lynched that game.
RAGE!
D_Dude at 5:26AM, June 26, 2009
(online)
Salsa
Product Placement
TheFlyingGreenMonkey

Not to mention that you got me accidentally lynched that game.

And Gillespie revealing himself as T-rex
FEAR THE BADGER!
It's not overkill if you don't hit him.
Sir! We are surrounded! … Good. Then we can charge in EVERY direction.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:18PM
Salsa at 10:39AM, June 26, 2009
(offline)
ugh that was a real damper on our day, If I hadn't gotten lynched I think me and pastel could have gone on a little longer.
RAGE!
harkovast at 10:58AM, June 26, 2009
(online)
I think I was the first to use the “heard his name mentioned so knew he was in trouble” joke.
I was aiming to make my narrations weird and silly, so I threw that in to mix it up.
If anyone used it before me, I am not aware of it.
Anyone using it since me owes me royalties!

Speaking of owing me, I need to stop taking bribes, I am owed so many right that I am starting to think I've got in over my head!

For more Harkovast related goings on, go to the Harkovast Forum
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:43PM
Salsa at 3:56PM, June 26, 2009
(offline)
harkovast
I think I was the first to use the “heard his name mentioned so knew he was in trouble” joke.
I was aiming to make my narrations weird and silly, so I threw that in to mix it up.
If anyone used it before me, I am not aware of it.
Anyone using it since me owes me royalties!

Speaking of owing me, I need to stop taking bribes, I am owed so many right that I am starting to think I've got in over my head!

I'll have yours ready by the end of next week, I've just been really busy with other stuff (like helping my nana and momma)
RAGE!
crocty at 8:08AM, June 27, 2009
(offline)
harkovast
>_>

<_<

orz

I'll draw it on tuesday. I can't do it monday, school stuff going on then, tomorrow I'm going out, and today, I simply can't be bothered.
TheFlyingGreenMonkey at 3:02PM, June 30, 2009
(online)
I've beening thinking if the bomber tried to plant a bomb on someone being watched by the medic. What happens? I mean has this ever happen in another game?

Niccea at 3:04PM, June 30, 2009
(offline)
Game VI. The bomb was defused.
TheFlyingGreenMonkey at 3:14PM, June 30, 2009
(online)
Niccea
Game VI. The bomb was defused.
Really? :/ Whoa well now I know and knowing is half the battle!

Niccea at 3:29PM, June 30, 2009
(offline)
Can't be the self proclaimed chronicler of mafia history without knowing it.
Salsa at 7:52PM, June 30, 2009
(offline)
Mafia: The Legend of Townstonia
It was quiet in a little village in the country of Townstonia. Then the Forces of evil terrorized the villagers and caused the king to appoint a knight and a lord to restore order. The Forces of evil went into hiding until they saw an opportunity to strike.

Salsa
YE OLDE VILLAGERS: aka Townies
Mayor=> Lord(1) elected
Witch Hunt: The Lord is able to pick one person to be lynched within an Hour of the first day ending. The Alchemist is unable to switch the person to be lynched with someone else.
In the Name of the King: The Lord's vote is also backed by the King so it holds twice the power(counts twice instead of once).
Blood sport: During the night the Lord can arrange two combatants to duel to the death. The winner is turned into a pincushion.
Meat sh- I mean My Noble Squires, Defend your Lord!: cannot be attacked or body switched while a squire is alive.
Pardoner=> Knight(1) elected
For My Lady's Favor: Can cancel two lynches during the game. If the Lord has declared a bloodsport and the Knight invokes his Lady's Favor, only one of them will be spared.
Librarian=> Scribe(1) The scribe is told the role of one villager and one villager only.
Detective=> Diviner(1)
Cure the Damned: the diviner can remove two curses during the game. If the power is used on a person who isn't cursed, it is wasted.
Message From the Gods: The diviner can ask what role a person is twice. The diviner can also ask if a person is connected to a crime. He can do only one a day though.
Paranoid=>The Crazy Mage(1)
Booby trapped: The Crazy Mage has his house booby trapped with a mess of magic traps guaranteed to blow the first person to bits that tries to open the door. The Crazy Mage has no idea who they really are due to a few too many magic mishaps.
Veteran=> Tracker(1)
Son, I've fought Dragons!: Due to being awesome and tough, the Tracker must be attacked twice before he can die. Lynchings still take only once though.
Paramedic/Vigilante=> Valkyrie(3)
You Shall Not Pass!: Valkyries can protect one person from one attack at night. they cannot protect each other though.
To Arms: Valkyries can kill on person a night, but not if they're protecting someone
Bodyguard=> Squire(2)These poor saps are your standard MK. I meat shield.
Townie=> serf(who ever is left over) After a hard day's lynching, they're easy pickings, but after a good night's sleep, the torches and pitch forks come out.

The Agents of EVIL: aka Mafia
Godfather=> Black Mage(1)
I Curse Thee: Can curse two people a game, but only one at a time and only at night. The curse takes until the end of the day cycle after the curse was placed to kill it's target. Curses cannot be switched after the night cycle has ended. Curses involve two narratives. Both point to the Black mage, but only the first gives a clue to the victim.
I was always good at illusions: Appears as a villager and cannot be attacked while in effect. he can still curse people though
I will make your life hell: Appears as the Black Mage and now has the ability to kill directly, but must choose whether to curse or kill in the night.
He's innocent, you can trust me: can cancel on lynch or Bloodsport. Spares everyone in the latter case.
Mad Hatter=> Alchemist(1)
Greek Fire: Can be placed on two people at once, but only one person can be targeted a night. They are activated when A ) the Alchemist chooses, or B ) when the Alchemist dies.
I don't like you: The Alchemist can switch one person with one who is going to be lynched. It can only be used once a game and Only one person will be switched when the Lord invokes a bloodsport and cannot be used on a witch hunt.
Mafia=> Fun sized death machines(3)wez keel stuf, but only once a night.

sociopaths
Psycho=> Agents of Chaos(2)We will water our new order with your blood. But we can only kill one of you each a night.

I would like to know what everyone thinks. I would like to try this if I get GM next game.
RAGE!
Product Placement at 7:37AM, July 1, 2009
(online)
I just came up with a crazy idea. Something that might be appealing to the players but a headache to the GM.

Introducing Mafia: The X-treme version. (really would have fit in for Mafia X, don't you think?)

Normal game, townies vs mafia but with a twist. What is the twist, you ask? It's the fact that both day action and night action happens AT THE SAME TIME!!!

Allow me to explain. Every day, the GM receives both the day and night actions. At the end of the day the GM creates a narration that spans an entire 24 hour period. This will speed up the game considerably and at the expanse that the GM will have allot more work to deal with (although the time he needs to be doing it is effectively cut in half).

In layman's terms, the 24 hour period in the mafia world will now take 24 hours real time instead of 48.

There are few new rules.

Day actions always have priority over night actions.
What happens during the day will affect what happens during the night.
During the first day for example, the town votes to elect someone to office. Let's say that I start a campaign to become the mayor. If a mafia member sends in a night action stating that he wants to kill me and I turn out to win the election, the night action will be canceled, since I'd be protected by bodyguards. All day actions will always take place before night actions. In all other cases the actions will take place in first come, first served order. If I run this game I will make a list explaining which ability counts as a day action and which counts as a night action.

The detective, who used to be able to use his ability during every night and day cycle, will now be only able to use it every 24 hours. Basically, he can still use his ability every day but since that time period now spans both day and night he's become less powerful then he is today. The detective in the past was poorly used since people didn't seem to understand how to use him effectively. During the last couple of games that seems to have changed and now he's become much more potent in battling the mafia.

There are probably some other tweaks that I'll think about on the way but I want to see what you all think about this idea of mine.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon