MAFIA... and other forum games

Discussion about Mafia
crocty at 7:07AM, Aug. 2, 2010
(offline)
Niccea
The other side of the coin is the mafia usually hide behind the townies. It is easier for them, especially the godfather to do so, because the detective is blind to him. One “with it” mayor can find the all the mafia quickly during a role collection or at least have a narrow list of suspects.
Actually this is a good point, the mafia would have a harder time hiding.
That's what was wrong with the game where everyone got a role…

Bugger.
I'm not really around much anymore, but here's my Tumblr, Twitter, and Deviantart. Also if you remember me from back when I was around, I'm sorry.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:54AM
Niccea at 8:02AM, Aug. 2, 2010
(offline)
Another thing I want to try at least once. Is to keep the voting secret. We would still display the counts but not who voted. The detective's power instead of seeing how many mafia voted would be to see the list of voters for a specific person. At the end of the game the votes would be displayed.

PP said that this would give the mafia a chance to hide and rally up. But, not all mafia are organized.

But not all detectives take advantage of their role either.

-sigh-
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:14PM
Product Placement at 8:26AM, Aug. 2, 2010
(online)
The biggest problem with my “all role” game was the Celebrity politician. It was just too good of an unifying force for the town and everyone could trust that player enough to send him their roles.

I designed that game so that a certain group of players could go either way and choose how they wanted to end it. In the end they made the biggest impact.

Having townies didn't used to be a problem and we've had over 30 games now. I've been a townie more often then I've had a role and I haven't minded that much. Frankfully, I find the current defeatist attitude to be silly cause even if the town doesn't want to admit it, they can still win the current game (I should know, since I'm the one behind the scenes).
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:53PM
Niccea at 8:43AM, Aug. 2, 2010
(offline)
As my brother says: You get what you get and you don't throw a fit. (Damn my parents for giving him rhyming mantras)
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:14PM
I Am The 1337 Master at 6:50AM, Aug. 16, 2010
(offline)
Niccea
As my brother says: You get what you get and you don't throw a fit. (Damn my parents for giving him rhyming mantras)
barely rhymes.
some of the times.

never said I was one.

Well now that I think about it I will be a townie and be proud of it.
Embrace the worthlessness!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:54PM
Product Placement at 8:23AM, Aug. 16, 2010
(online)
See, this exact attitude basically killed the morale in the last game. Ever single townie was whining about being able to do diddly squat, to the point where you just wanted to throw the game for the fun of it. Even Monkey, who I consider to be a serious gamer started off his involvement in the game by stating that he didn't care for playing the game, cause he got a lousy townie role.

The town could easily have won the game on multiple occasions if only they would have stood up and done something but the lack of interest turned it into a mafia victory. The game is not about having fancy powers that you can use to tip the scale into your favor. It's about doing your part in ensuring victory for your side. There's allot of things that townies can do that don't involve powers. Looking through and discussing the clues is among one thing but most importantly it's the backroom dealings that can turn the tide of the game. When players go around PQing each other, discussing “the plan”, things can take a pretty unexpecting turns. Most importantly, your votes during lynches matters allot.

I've been a townie far more often then the cumulative times I've had a special role. Do I envy the players who get to go around and kill during the cover of darkness or go around doing background checks on everyone? Sure. I'll admit that as much. I've voiced my frustration about seeing Crocty getting a mafia role for the third time in a row. Does it mean I'm going to sit an wallow about, saying that I can't do anything and that I might as well not bother playing that game? No!

Frankly I'm getting sick and tired of this defeatist attitude, so pardon my rant.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
crocty at 8:56AM, Aug. 16, 2010
(offline)
Product Placement
Oh, dunno if that was aimed at anyone in particular, but just to clarify, I wasn't complaining for myself about the townie thing, I personally don't mind when I get townie, seeing as though I'm mafia like every time.

Just saying that like you said, there are many people who see the townies as worthless and just quit instantly. :\
I'm not really around much anymore, but here's my Tumblr, Twitter, and Deviantart. Also if you remember me from back when I was around, I'm sorry.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:54AM
Product Placement at 9:17AM, Aug. 16, 2010
(online)
It wasn't meant to be aimed at anyone specific but this does apply to many players who participated in the last game.

It is of course a common evolution of each game, where the mafia tends to pick out those who have a knack at rallying the town together or deciphering clues and in the end, you end up with only the inactive/quiet people. It's just the first time I've ever seen the game evolve into this much negativity. It's also the first time I couldn't wait to end one of my games.

Oh well. I wanted to see how the town would cope without a leadership and I guess I have my answer now.

Still… I'd like to point out a similar example of a game, where the mafia had all the cards in their hands and the town was sinking into a “voe is us” attitude. The mafia had managed to gain both the mayor and pardoner seat and had managed to kill off the vigilante, paramedics and detective. On the con side, they were also out of the mad hatter and the other hitman. The discussion at the time was essentially “Oh, well. We've already lost so we might as well not bother.” Then Ochi stepped up and pepped everyone to stick it through so that the town could win. Her townie allegiance managed to win the game. Ochi eventually got killed though in the progress but by then the mafia was heading towards the loosing streak. Just because there's only townies left, doesn't mean that the game is over.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
I Am The 1337 Master at 8:00AM, Aug. 19, 2010
(offline)
Product Placement
It wasn't meant to be aimed at anyone specific but this does apply to-

I just didn't feel like solving clues (or attempting to) or anything. But I did try and get Niccea to confess her mafianess because it was pretty clear to me that she was.

It's easy with those players who are active in the forum but once mafia or some key player for the townies they do not come.
Mettaur at 9:31AM, Aug. 21, 2010
(offline)
Well, I always blabber, as don, hitman, paramedic, ot townie. You never can tell what i am from level of inactivity! Except for the past week or so, when I was just off the site. I went to other places, did different things. It was a fun experience, but now I'm back!
Been years since I was here. I've been at rehab since. So uh. Yknow, things got interesting.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:01PM
AQua_ng at 3:37PM, Aug. 22, 2010
(offline)
Just as an FYI guys, Niccea is the official secretary super president of Mafia games from now on. Any disputes, issues and help concerning mafia games should be directed at her.

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:59AM
I Am The 1337 Master at 9:59AM, Aug. 23, 2010
(offline)
Mettaur
Well, I always blabber, as don, hitman, paramedic, ot townie. You never can tell what i am from level of inactivity! Except for the past week or so, when I was just off the site. I went to other places, did different things. It was a fun experience, but now I'm back!
No, I've predicted your role the past few games and been right most the time.
Niccea at 10:58AM, Aug. 23, 2010
(offline)
Yeah, Mett, you got to work on your poker face a little.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:15PM
I Am The 1337 Master at 11:17AM, Aug. 23, 2010
(offline)
Puh-puh-puh-

-tatoes.
Mettaur at 9:48AM, Aug. 28, 2010
(offline)
Poker face? I have a face?
Been years since I was here. I've been at rehab since. So uh. Yknow, things got interesting.
alwinbot at 10:21PM, Sept. 9, 2010
(offline)
Mettaur
Poker face? I have a face?
Looking at your face is like looking into the infinite darkness.

I really don't want that to sound racist.
Read this comic. It is the greatest journal comic ever written and drawn. Trust me.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:50AM
Mettaur at 10:08AM, Sept. 30, 2010
(offline)
I'm tan-ish, doesn't mean I have to choose a tan-ish mage. And now, not even a mage, so Townston crumbles into MWIII (Mafia War III)! I must host that game!
seventy2 at 12:02PM, Oct. 9, 2010
(online)
So has anyone ever had a mafia based on communism? i just had this amazing idea, where the townee's are actually under the old czar rule, and instead of mafia, we're using the rise of the workers…

i wish i had time to run this.
facara
Running Anew an exercise blog.
I'm gonna love you till the money comes, half of it's gonna be mine someday.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:31PM
TheFlyingGreenMonkey at 3:17PM, Oct. 11, 2010
(online)
I want to do a crazy game like Hark did. I'm thinking along the lines of.

TFGM was walking along the townston landfill looking for good junk to mark up as “magic supplies.” Suddenly he stopped and sniffed the air. He smelled something truly amazing. Eyes glazed, he dropped all the junk he had collected and proceeded to follow the heavenly aroma. Over pile and pile of garbage he walked until he finally saw it. A pile of catnip as tall as ninja was drunk. As wide as Hark was a furry. Throwing all sense aside the cats that make up TFGM leaped from the man suit and ran towards the pile. They played and frolicked all day and all night in the the heavenly drug. But little did they know that underneath all that catnip was mongoose venom. The next day, the citizens and mafia awoke to find the town had been overrun with glowing cats. The glowing made people cautious but the cuteness of the cats drew them near. Once the distance was short enough the cats leaped into action biting and scratching everyone they could find. Every victim of their attack fell unconscious, as their minds were thrown into the collective consciousness of TFGM.

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:19PM
Niccea at 6:20PM, Oct. 11, 2010
(offline)
That sounds like fun. But remember. It is Spanish mongoose venom that makes these weird things happen.
TheFlyingGreenMonkey at 9:32AM, Oct. 12, 2010
(online)
Niccea
That sounds like fun. But remember. It is Spanish mongoose venom that makes these weird things happen.
Thanks for the info :D

Product Placement at 10:11AM, Oct. 12, 2010
(online)
Sure, why not? We're due for another “Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds” style game.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Mettaur at 3:49PM, Oct. 17, 2010
(offline)
Thank god it ain't my mind..I think it'd be a great idea, but something I suggest, just a suggestion, the town is always changing, building location, NPC's appear and disappear randomly, steel girders turn soft as butter for no reason, all sortsa stuff that is INSANE!

Rabid Spanish Mongoose venom can do that to ya.
Niccea at 3:12PM, Oct. 29, 2010
(offline)
The unwritten rules of mafia have now been written. I went through this entire thread and combined anything we were ever in agreement on and few things that I think we might need to agree upon.
TheFlyingGreenMonkey at 1:05PM, Nov. 6, 2010
(online)
Niccea
The unwritten rules of mafia have now been written. I went through this entire thread and combined anything we were ever in agreement on and few things that I think we might need to agree upon.
Where?

Product Placement at 1:25PM, Nov. 6, 2010
(online)
TheFlyingGreenMonkey
Niccea
Where?
Here.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
TheFlyingGreenMonkey at 9:42PM, Nov. 6, 2010
(online)
Ni I caught some errors.

Someone
* Paramedics cannot protect each other…or the bodyguards.
This has never been the way of my games.
Someone
* The horsehead ability can only be used once per person
In my games can't be used on the same player in a row.
Someone
* (Unresolved issue) Different things have happened when the mad bomber/godfather go after the paranoid. In some versions the paranoid reacts, but in some they do not. I believe that there should either be a standard, or the GM be specific about what could happen if a bomb/horsehead was planted on the paranoid.
Mad Bomber places bomb and is killed thus killing paranoid. Godfather horsehead doesn't effect paranoid but does kill Godfather.

Niccea at 11:03PM, Nov. 6, 2010
(offline)
it is all subject to interpretation. As godfather, I have horseheaded the paranoid in the first game. So I allow it.

And all of the rules were things that were suggested and agreed upon at the time. Nothing is an error.
TheFlyingGreenMonkey at 11:12PM, Nov. 6, 2010
(online)
Niccea
I went through this entire thread and combined anything we were ever in agreement on.

Sorry I thought when you said “we” I thought you meant “all of us.” But apparently I'm not in this “we”. I just wanted to be one of the group. Why do you exclude me Ni? Why T.T ?

Product Placement at 1:05AM, Nov. 7, 2010
(online)
This is why I promoted the idea of GMs posting their own interpretation of the rules not too long ago. I bet most people don't fully agree with all the unwritten rules just like I don't agree with everything that is written on that list.

While some of the things posted there are good and solid things, like the GM rules, others are guidelines at best. The “what happens when x happens to the paranoid” question is a classic example that has been dealt with in various ways and it's usually up to the digression of the acting GM. You say that the paranoid kills the godfather in case of a horsehead attack; I say that he doesn't.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon